New Zealand Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: New Zealand Livingstones

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kay,

I have never come across a marriage record like this one. Bit of a mystery to me. It is interesting that was recorded in both the Episcopalian church records as you mentioned and the Church of Scotland Duror Parish book in 1842. I wonder if one of them was an Episcopalian and the other a Presbyterian and they wanted their marriage officially recognized and recorded by both Churches in Duror Parish. That however does not seem altogether plausible. I don't know that it was common at that time for a Church of Scotland minister to record Episcopalian marriages in his parish in Argyll, but there must some logical reason to it such as you and Kyle have suggested. It is quite likely whatever the rationale that they were married at St. John's Church in Ballachulish as they lived in the area and it was likely the closest church to them. Most of the Livingstons who were born and whose families had lived in the Ballachulish area for some time were likely Episcopalians though it is conceivable the some Livingstone slate workers and their families in later years who migrated into the Ballachuish area and were Church of Scotland as most of the Livingstons in Western Argyll seem to have been since the Reformation.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Re: New Zealand Livingstones

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Seems like a very interesting double report anyway--definitely tells about something going on. My bet is an experienced local Scottish historian probably could tell you very quickly what is going on in those two parish records. Might be worth finding a contact who's seen that before in Duror?

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com