Newcomer and descendant of Archibald Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Maverick1975
Location: Aabybro, Denmark but from Texas and Indiana originally

Re: Newcomer and descendant of Archibald Livingston

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

There is almost nothing more I love to hear accentwise than the Scots. Thank you for the links. I'm listening to them right now.

I looked at the lochaline cemetery link and there are a couple Campbells listed there and I'm curious if that is one of Effie's relatives or possibly her parents. Most trees in Ancestry.com list no parents for her but one lists a Captain Campbell. Of course I have no idea what proof they have of that. Also, you noted in the previous entry that the Livingstons were tenants of the Campbells. Effie married a Livingston and her sister Christina married a Cameron (they married in Ohio and died in Vinton, Ohio) Would that be unusual then for her (Effie) to marry the son of a tenant (if that was the situation)?

I have been scouring the Scioto County, Ohio genealogy sites today to see what Livingstons I could come up with. Findagrave only has 6 listed, 3 of which are early to mid 1800s. There is a Catharine Livingston listed here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 806&df=all&

It doesnt say where she was born and the rest say that they were born in Ohio. I'll see what else I can dig up that might help us make that connection. Also, I found A LOT of Campbells in Lawrence County right next door. Ironton was founded by a Campbell.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Kristen/Donald,

Family of Harriett Livingstone & Wm. Stewart McNiven;

1. Duncan b. abt. 1840 Tobermory, d. 10 Jan 1915 Tobermory – no family.

2. Marion (Sarah) Stewart b. abt. 1842 Tobermory, d. 10 Nov. 1855 Erray, Tobermory, buried Killintag burial ground – no family.

3. Christina b. 28 Oct 1844 Tobermory, d. 17 Jan 1928 Tobermory – 7 children.

4. Jane (Jean) Stewart b. abt. 1846 Tobermory, d. 21 May 1929, married x 3, - 3 children.

5. Ann b. abt. 1848, Tobermory, d. 1928 Garngadhill, Glasgow – 3 children.

6. Elizabeth b. abt. 1851 Tobermory, d. 11 June 1869 Tobermory - no family.

7. Mary b. abt. 1854 Tobermory, d. 13 Feb. 1927 Oban – no family.

8. Archibald b. 07 May 1859 Tobermory, d. 29 Nov. 1914 Tobermory - no family.

Family of Christina McNiven (No. 3 above) & John Brown chr. 18 Jan 1846 Kilbrandon & Kilchattan;

1. Harriett b. 03 Mar. 1874 Central District Glasgow, d. 28 June 1949 Tobermory – no family listed.

2. Barbara Carmichael b. 30 Nov. 1875 Glasgow, d. 21 Feb. 1952 – 5 children.

3. Donald b. 06 Nov. 1877 Glasgow, d. 17 June 1916 – no children listed.

4. Mary Elizabeth b. 26 Feb. 1880 Tobermory, d. ?? – no family listed.

5. Beatrice Wilson b. 04 Oct. 1882 - no family listed.

6. Sarah b. 21 Dec. 1884 Tobermory, d. 19 Sept. 1954 Tobermory – no family listed.

7. Johina (Johnina??) b. 23 Feb. 1887 Tobermory, d. 1963 Tobermory – no family listed

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kristen,

There was a very elderly Scottish lady, a Mrs Donaldson, when I was child who frequently looked after me when my Mom off somewhere and one my earliest memories was what to me was her unusual accent that I found nice to listen to even back then. I think she lived to be a 100 I think. I remember visiting her when I was in college and she was pretty ancient by then, but just as sharp as a bell and greeting me with shortbread and tea. That was my first impression of a Scottish person and I continue to be impressed with them as a people. (John Livingston is Scottish by the way.)

Of course I guess I am biased somewhat because I have a lot of Scottish ancestry and am a member of a Scottish clan society. (And I love Scottish shortbread) In my teens among the many late 60's rock and folk artist I listened to, one of them of Scottish origin, Donovan ( Donovan Leitch) in particular had a great influence on me and in my guitar playing and own song writing. Donovan was in his early days kinda Scotland's answer to Bob Dylan, though his style of folk music is very much his own.

On my mother's side her father was of lowland Scottish ancestry and my father's mother was of lowland ancestry and my father's father was of 18th century German and highland (Livingstone) ancestry. In Canada and probably in some places in the States as well Germans and Scots and Scotch-Irish settled side by side and being neighbours their descendants ended un quite often being a mixture of Scottish and German.

Alasdair Cameron in the interview mentions that old Donald Livingston (1728-1816) and his family resided at Savary Mill and that old Donald ran a Inn at Savary which he did with his wife. He lived a long life and was in the highland Scottish tradition, a story teller and no doubt much of what is known about old Domhnall Mollach of Savary was from stories which he told to his own kin in Morvern. This I know to be the case because of what Duncan Livingstone (b.1850) of Scioto County, Ohio was told as a child in Ohio and later in life by his Morvern Livingston relatives in Ny and Ohio, some of whom heard these stories from old Donald himself back in Morvern.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen and John,
I started a new posting pertaining to the original 2008 research done on Duncan Livingston b. 1850 of Scioto County, Ohio and his Scottish family that settled in Ohio in the 1840's from MOrvern. I will add more to it tomorrow, just to refresh my memory on that family. It has been a few years but I do remember some things and generally most of what we found. However my latest search proved to be more exciting than I expected as my hunch that the two Livingston family groups in SCioto and Lawrence County settling so close to one another and living close to one another in Morvern I thought there might be a connection and looks like I am seeing one tonight that I think suggests they knew each other in Morvern, where probably related and the settling of the two Livingston family groups in adjacent Counties may not have been a coincidence.

Bingo!!!!!! I went through the census records I could find pertaining to both Lawyer Duncan Livingston's Scioto County family and Effy's son John Livingston and I found that an elderly Hugh Burke a first cousin of the Scioto County Lawyer Duncan Livingston is sure enough as an old man living with Effy's son John Livingston in the year 1900 at Ironton, Lawrence County. It shows that two Livingston families knew each other Hugh Burke was brother of William Burke Jr. and son of Sarah Livingston Aunt of Scioto County Lawyer Duncan Livingston and William Burke Sr. who were married in Savary, Morvern. Two Livingston family groups from Morvern I think knew each other back in Morvern and quite probably related and if so connected to in some way to Hugh (Ewen) Livingstone of Savary Movern and his famous brother Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern. Perhaps we can find some descendants of Effy's son John Livingstone still in this area of Ohio who are interested in solving a genealogical mystery?

1850 U.S. Census Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio

A. Livingston (Angus Livingston) age 30 b. Scotland
Margaret Livingston age 30 born Scotland
Duncan Livingston age 1 born Ohio Future lawyer and family historian Duncan Livingston
Achart Livingston ? age 30 b. Scotland
Duncan Livingston age 28 b. Scotland
John Livingston age 37 b. Scotland
Catharine Livingston age 65 b. Scotland (Angus, Duncan and John's mother from Achabegg, Morvern
William Burke age 22 b. Scotland (grandson of widow Catharine Livingston)
Hugh Burke age 20 b. Scotland (grandson of Widow Catharine Livingston)
sons of William Burke Sr. of Savary, Morvern and Sarah Livingston

1841 Scottish Census Old Monkland Lanarkshire
Gartsherrie South Row
Angus Levingston age 25 Furnace Filler left Scotland in 1842 for New York City and by 1845 in Ohio (worked with furnaces in Scotland and later in Ohio)
Dan Levingston age 17

1841 Scottish Census Achbegg, Morvern
Duncan Livingston age 30 b. Scotland brother of Angus
Catharine Livingston age 65 b. Scotland (Angus Livingston's mother)
William Burke age 13
b. Scotland

1841 Scottish Census Achbegg, Morvern
Hugh Livingston age 35 b. Scotland (died before 1851)
Euniphenia Livingston age 40 ( Euphemia or Effy Livington) b. Scotland
Hugh Livingston age 10 b. Scotland
Christina Livingston age 8 b. Scotland
John Livingston age 6 b. Scotland
Mary Livingston age 2 b. Scotland
Catharine age 2 months

Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Ship: Cora Linn
Arrival Port: New York
AUg. 22, 1851
Euphemia Livingston age 50
Hugh Livingston age 20
Christina age 18
Margaret age 15
John age 13
Mary age 10
Catharine age 8
Ann age 6
Sarah age 4
Donald age 44 Laborer
(All persons born in Scotland)

Effy Livingston b. 1802 died 1879 Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio
Buried Woodland Cemetery

1900 U.S. Census Ironton Ward 5 Lawrence County, Ohio
John Livingston age 65 b. March 1835 immigration year 1851
Alice Livingston age 43 wife born Kentucky
Hugh C. Livingston age 11 born Ohio
Samuel G. Livingston age 9 born Ohio
Margaret B. Livingston age 7 Ohio
Anna Livingston age 56 (sister of John Livingston) born Scotland
Hugh Burk age 79 born Scotland

John Livingston born 1835 died June 6, 1901 Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio Buried at Woodland Cemetery as is his mother Effy Campbell Livingston as you mentioned. Anna Livingston her daughter born 1844 died 1924 also buried at Woodland Cemetery

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Wow! GREAT finds!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Great work to all of you! :D
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Ok it looks like Catharine's brother John Livingston born March 26, 1835 in Morvern married Alice Patterson and in terms of locating Livingston descendants in Ohio there were two sons Hugh Campbell Livingston 1888-1889 and Samuel George Livingston 1891-1965. Hugh had one son Hugh Livingston and Samuel George Livingston had one son William. There may have been more but those are ones living at home in the 1940 Census. I will check for more. One of the sons of John I think is buried in Pennsylvania but the other is buried somewhere in Ohio and I think the two families lived in the Ohio in early twentieth century. One person I found has done a family tree on ancestry.com and they concluded that Effy's husband Hugh Livingston of Achbegg, Morvern died around 1845. I think they likely calculated that based on the birth of Hugh and Effy's last child Sarah. There may be other on ancestry.com doing Hugh and EFFy Livingston family research. I will check. Looks to me like John and Alice Livingston two sons left Lawrence County so you won't like likely find descendants of Effy's son John in that county. I may be able to find descendants of John Livington's two sons eventually. I will try to find out what happened to the other family of Effy The daughter Ann lived with brother John and died in Lawrence County and is buried in the same Cemetery in Ironton, Lawrence County as Mother Efffy and brother John as mentioned. I will see if I kind pick up the document trail for Effy's other son Hugh Livingston and see what became of him after the family settled in Lawrence County.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Ok so Effy's two sons Hugh and John Livingston were drafted into the Union Army in July of 1863 during the Civil War. Their residence at the time Decatur, Lawrence County. prior to that Hugh Livingston age 26 is recorded in the 1860 Census residing with his wife Ruhama? Livingston age 20. So what happened to Hugh after that. Did he die during the Civil War? Not sure. Does not seem to show up in the Ohio after 1863 or at least I can't find him. So the focus in the Ohio search for Livingston relative may be with any possible descendants of John Livingston connected to sons Samuel and Hugh, their families born in the early twentieth century. So far i found that each of them had only one son each born in the early 1900's in Ohio somewhere. So no big Livingston families there with lots of descendants, but I am still hopeful.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

That is an amazing find! I have seen that 1900 census but couldn't piece who Hugh Burke was. I had assumed he was husband of Alice Livingston's sister (Alice is john's wife) since it says brother in law to head of household. But this explains it much better!

Here is the link for Duncan's gravesite:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 698&df=all&

And Catharine Livingston (again). She died in 1855:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =100446806&

Here is a picture I found on ancestry of Effie and Hugh's daughters Catherine and Sarah Livingstone Butler.
http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/0e3da737- ... /319743251

I will do some research and see if I can find any links to Livingston Descendants. I'll contact the lady who posted that picture as a start. I'll let you guys know what i find out!

Kristen
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Kristen,

Ok so Effy's two sons Hugh and John Livingston were drafted into the Union Army in July of 1863. Their residence at the time Decatur, Lawrence County. prior to that Hugh Livingston age 26 is recorded in the 1860 Census residing with his wife Ruhama? Livingston age 20. So what happened to Hugh after that. Did he die during the Civil War? Not sure. Does not seem to show up in the Ohio after 1863 or at least I can't find him. So the focus in the Ohio search for Livingston relative may be with any possible descendants of John Livingston connected to sons Samuel and Hugh, their families born in the early twentieth century. So far i found that each of them had only one son each born in the early 1900's in Ohio somewhere. So no big Livingston families there with lots of descendants, but I am still hopeful.

regards,

Donald

Donald,

I knew they had both been drafted but I can only find proof that John served and was discharged. I can find no proof that Hugh actually served. Only that he was drafted. I also found the marriage cert for Hugh and Ruhama and an 1860 census (no children yete) and they were living in Decatur Township, Lawrence County Ohio. I've found nothing beyond that yet. I can find no gravesite or death certificate or further census information. I am still searching. Ruhama is such an unusual name hopefully her name will help me find them. Maybe they didn't stay in Ohio?? I also thought he died in the Civil War but I've no proof of that either. I've scanned lists of civil war vets of Lawrence county and nothing. But it's possible he died and I just haven't found the record yet. It's very easy to find records on John.

i will also keep looking. Hopefully this lady I contacted will email me back. I'm also going to look at other family trees on ancestry who have the same family members and try to email them.

Kristen