Newcomer and descendant of Archibald Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Newcomer and descendant of Archibald Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kristen,

Do you mean Angus Livingston's wife Margaret who was also a Livingston by birth? No she was born up in the Fort William area of Inverness-shire apparently. There is not information mentioning a connection with the Morvern Livingstons. Certainly unlikely he married a closely related cousin although with all Livingstons in Western Argyll in the 18th and 19th centuries I can't say that never happened. My ancestor Miles Livingston married Janet Livingston in 1812 in Bowmore, Isle of Islay, back in good old Argyllshire, Janet also listed in their marriage record as a native of Morvern like Miles so who knows they might have related. Really no way of knowing particularly with the birth records in Morvern not surviving before the year 1803. Can't tell you how annoying that is.

But back to old Angus of Ohio. According to Angus Livingston's son's later Scioto County bio mentioned that his father married Angus married Margaret Livingston born in Fort William, Inverness County, Scotland which is adjacent to the highland County of Argyll. At best probably a distant cousin though not all of highland Livingstons share the same bloodline, so that is not sure thing. I don't know Margaret's genealogy and have not researched it. The Livingstons who lived in the Fort William area sometimes had family in settlements in Argyll a short distance from Fort William in Inverness County I suspect. Anyways that is another research project I suspect for another time. Definite no close relation to your Livingstons in any event I don't think. I recently did a bit of work on a Livingston family that settled in the late 1700's in Nova Scotia, Canada that were apparently connected to Livingstons that lived in the 1700's in border area in Argyllshire close to Fort William in neighbouring, Inverness-shire interestingly enough.

I realize now the main motivation for Angus of Scioto County who was first Morvern Livingston to go to Ohio was to get a job in the furnace trade, something he had developed several years of experience in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire where I found out for his son Duncan's 1890's bio., his father Angus was living at when the 1841 Scottish census was conducted. Angus apparently got some of the others into the furnace work in Ohio. At first Angus working in these furnace places Ohio confused me as what that was all about but now I realize that was his work in lowland Scotland after he left his home in Morvern in the 1830's apparently. Some of the highland men like my ancestor Miles Livingston realized back in the early 1800's that to survive in the highlands you needed to acquire a trade as Miles did as skilled boatbuilder and barrel maker. There was no future in Western Argyll as a tenant farmer as others were would find out years later when the landlords started to remove them to clear them from their land in favour of more profitable sheep.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975
Location: Aabybro, Denmark but from Texas and Indiana originally

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

No, sorry for the confusion. I found a marriage certificate for Effie and Hugh Livingston's daughter Margaret. She married Hugh Burke. So that definitely ties families together. She was the Margaret I was talking about.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/3142/gp ... dit/record

And that makes total sense about finding a trade or a skill. They didn't need that before the consquences of the Battle of Culloden and the clearances. It was all agricultural right?

Kristen
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for that. Difficult to find Morvern Livingstons I have found though I have been contacted by a few of then over the last ten years. Morvern Livingstons settled in Canada, United States and Australia for the most part. That is where they most likely would be found and I mostly get contacted by Livingstons with Mull, Argyll origin and rarely a Livingston with Morvern ancestry. Most of the Livingstons in this specific test result group have root in Morvern's neighbour Mull, but I think it probable that the Morvern and Mull Livingstons share a common highland ancestor a few centuries back anyways so they are all definitely related in the more distant sense which is also interesting. In the particular DNA group of about 20 Livingstons of the many that have been tested, most have a 18th century ancestral connection to neighbouring Mull in Western Argyllshire, but I have identified three of them from their genealogy information including my third cousin as Livingstons who had a ancestor born in the 18th century who settled in Canada but whom came from and or was born in Morvern. This is interesting situation where my genealogy research of known descendants of Mull an Morvern Livingstons mostly who settled areas of Canada where highland Argyll settler settled in their own little settlements and following the DNA project results of these Mull and Morvern Livingstons has proven to be and continues to be very interesting and whats more starting to make some sense as what i think a logical pattern is emerging. A few more Mull Livingstons and a few more Morvern Livingstones in the project would leave little doubt as to pattern emerging I would think and might eventually be of interest to the Universities in Britain where there some research going on regarding the genetic origins of the British people. An interesting field of study. Being so close to Ireland, Western Argyll was over the centuries subject to invasion an occupation by the Irish and in later years by the Norse as well. Our Livingstons have some of that ancient Irish in us apparently that colonized Argyllshire way back as early as the 6th century. And Western Argyll was at one time in the early medieval period under the rule of Scandinavians, until a Scottish hero Somerled vanquished them. And what of the indigenous Argyll folk that lived in Argyll before the 6th century, presumingly they intermarried with the Dalriada Irish invaders. IN those early times there were Picts in Argyll and native Irish Dalriada who invaded and colonized Argyll in the 6th century. I presume the ancient mysterious Picts that were in Argyll and elsewhere in Scotland when the Irish colonizers the Dalriada Irish arrived were in fact made up of the indigenous Argyll folk. In any event eventually the Picts who made those beautiful rock carving with intricate designs of birds and patterns you see in the rocks in Scotland intermarried with the descendants of the Dalriada Irish invaders, so it is possible that in the Dna of modern day Morvern and Mull Livingstons is something of that Celtic mix. It would be interesting if we only knew who are most ancient Argyllshire, Scotland ancestors were and where they came from wouldn't it?

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

I find it all fascinating and would be so interested to know more. I know when I did my DNA test I was shocked at my results. I always knew I was Scottish, Irish and german. That is what were told when my parents adopted me but when my results came back i was 40% Irish, 34% scandinavian, 9% Iberian Penisula (which was really shocking considering I'm white as a ghost) and 5% British Isles. But like you said, Scotland, ireland, Norse...English, they all mixed. So my background now makes tons of sense.

I find it all so fascinating especially now that I have names and some faces to my biological ancestry.

Kristen
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Nice work. Aha. So that is why old Hugh Burk is really living with the Effy's son John Livingston in Lawrence County, he had years earlier married John's sister Margaret. Well now you have solved yet another mystery or I guess we both kinda did. Anyways I will give you the final credit for untangling that Livingston mystery. Yes I missed that brother in law clue. Glad you picked up on it and figured out the significance of it. Hugh's mother was a Livingston, Angus Livingston's sister Sarah I believe. Not 100 per cent sure of that because as mentioned the birth record in MOrvern for those born before 1803 are missing. (Thanks a lot Morvern Church of Scotland minister from before 1803 whoever for loosing them!) The fact that young William Burke was living with Angus Livingston;s Mother Catharine in Achabegg, Morvern and Angus Livingston''s brother Duncan in 1841 according tot the Scottish census and the fact both William Burke Jr. and his brother Hugh Burk settled with old Catharine on the farm of Angus Livingston before 1850 Vernon Township Scioto suggests kinship and probably that Angus may have intended to have them either help with his farm or work with him in the furnace occupation he was involved in. In any event Angus and his mom Catharine seemed very closely looking after the interests of the young men when they arrived in the new Country. So for all the reason mentioned here there is every reason to believe that Hugh Burke and brother WIliam Burke Jr. and their mother Sarah Livingston had a Livingston family connection with Angus, his brothers and his widowed mom Catharine Livingston who lived with him. And how interesting that Hugh should marry into the other Livingston family. So Hugh's children if he had any would be doubled related to Morvern Livingstons. This is all interesting.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristin,

Yes my wife and I want to do a test which focuses on establishing your ancient ethnic origins and the percentages of those. I know one of our clan members who has done the National Geographic test and it might tell my wife and I if we have either a small percentage of native North American Indian blood which I pretty sure one of both of us might have. I have some colonial American ancestry and my wife has colonial French Canadian roots going back to the mid 1600's in the New France period. So perhaps a test like this will tell us if there is any truth to this part of our ancestry.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

I have been working on Samuel and Hugh's part of the tree. Samuel (died 1965) had a son named William Livingston who died in 2013. William has two sons according to the information at findagrave.com . I will try to track them down. Their names are David and Stephen and there are even grandsons.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =149800393

I'll let you know what I find out if I can get an email address for them or not.

Kristen
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

This is Samuel's son WIlliam who died in 2013. Impressive wasnt he?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Livingston
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

I emailed one of John's great grandsons last night and got a reply. I am going to direct him to this website. I am so excited!
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

I also got a reply to my post about descendants John's son Hugh had a son, Hugh Jr. He died in 2003. I'll see what I can find on that branch.