Newcomer and descendant of Archibald Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Newcomer and descendant of Archibald Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Glad you noticed Harriet and her family line. Now we have the complete family of Archibald Livingston and Cirsty McIntyre.
Interesting about Harriet. I did not see her birth in the early Morvern Parish records, but I see a descendant from Australia who submitted and ancestry family tree for Archibald and Cirsty I think it it is connected to that McNiven family was able to find other ways to connect to Kristen's ancestors Archibald Livingston and Christian (Cirsty) Macintyre or McIntyre. Apparently this McIntyre family also lived in Ausilton area of Morvern as apparently did old Archibald at the time of his marriage to Cirsty in 1804. Morvern Livingstons often moved around the Parish before leaving for the lowlands or the Colonies. A few years after their marriage they were at another tenant settlement at Kellundine and eventually at Drimmin and then back to adjacent Auliston sometime before the 1841 Census. Interesting this researcher seems to be the only one who has submitted a family tree for Archibald Livingston an Cirsty McIntyre or her son Hugh Livington and Effy Campbell that is Kristen's family branch.

The Ohio Census was a bit confusing for the Livingtons that settled that in Scioto County and Lawrence County, but they are more or less there or at least some of them. For Starters the census taker doing the census for Scioto County in 1850 just recorded Lawyer Duncan Livington's father simply as A. Livingston which probably confused more than a few people looking for Angus Livingston of Scioto County. In 1850 Angus Livingston is living with his wife Margaret his infant son Duncan, his brother from Scotland Duncan and another brother John, his mother Catharine age 65 and a relative William Burke Jr. son of William Burke Sr formerly of Savary, Morvern and Sarah Livingston who also settled in the Ohio area in the 1840's.They also had a son Hugh Burke or Hugh Burk who interestingly enough lived in 1850 with the Scioto County Livingston and years later as an old man with John Livingston of the other Lawrence County Livington which I think confirms there was likely a Livingston family as Hugh Burke's mother was Sarah Livingston apparently a sister or cousin of Angus Livingston of Scioto County father of Duncan the lawyer and 19th century Livingston family historian. He wrote a great article on the Appin Regiment at the Battle of Culloden and his Morvern Livingston connections in 1895 or 1896 for the Celtic Monthly which I have on my old computer somewhere. There is also a brief biography on Lawyer Duncan Livingson done in the 1890's when he was still living in Scioto County which I also have on my old computer and think Kyle McLea is also familiar with.

The challenges of piecing together family trees of Morvern Livngstons born before 1803 are monumental since there are no births surviving from before 1803. Despite I have utilized other sources in some cases to create a couple of family trees for some of the Morvern Livingston families that lived along the west coast of Morvern who were children of the famous Donald Livingston and his wife Jean Stewart in part through their death records and pieced other Morvern Livingston families that may be descended from his brother Hugh or Ewen. Another brother who is not mentioned in any source is Angus Livingston, whom lawyer Duncan Livingston of Ohio was told by his Morvern Livingston relatives, had died at Culloden while trying to assist another Appin Regiment soldier. Duncan as a young man in the 19th century had the advantage of being able to talk a number of old Livingston relatives including his father, grandmother, his father's Uncle John in ONEIDA County, New York State and two elderly nieces of old Donald Livington of Savary whom he mentions were Mrs. WIlliam Burke (Sarah Livingston Burke) and Sarah Livingston Boyd. The Burkes lived in ohio. I think the Boyds also. Jewel and Roberta I think did a lot of research on these families in 2008.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

I am curious about descendants for John Livingston's two sons born in the late 1800's Samuel and Hugh Campbell Livingston. All I know is that they had two sons Hugh and William Livingston born in Ohio in the early 1900's. They each may have married in the 1940's or 1950's and children of their own who would probably be living today but one can never certain that there are descendants or descendants still living. No chance of doing DNA test with the Scioto Livingtons as Duncan and his Uncles did not have family, so on your side for the male Livingston Y chromosome testing, so it would only work if there are some male Livingston descendants of Samuel and Hugh Campbell Livingston out there who would interested in our genealogical DNA test the results of which would be compared with three other LIvingstons of documented MOrvern Livingston ancestry in the our DNA project including my 3rd Cousin and other Livingstons descended Livngstons from elsewhere including nearby Mull. So far of the three with a Morvern Livingston one is a genetic distance of 3 at 67 markers tested when compared with my Livingston cousins results and the most recent Livingston of Morvern Livingston family origin is a genetic distance of 1 with 67 markers tested when compared with my cousins results, apparently the closest match yet. I have been focusing on Livingston with root either to neighbouring Mull or nearby Morvern where my ancestor Miles Livingston was said to originate on his marriage record and already there seems to be in the few results of persons with Morvern Livingston ancestry some encouragingly close matches.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

As you are probably aware there is one lady connected Archibald and Kirsty's daughter Harriet born abt. 1814 and a daughter of Archibald and Cirsty according to her Tobermory, Mull 1881 death record. She has not surviving birth record. Same goes with the youngest son of Archibald and Cirsty born in 1818 who was John Livingston. He died a pauper in 1892 in Fernish, Morvern. One gets the impression from 19th century Morvern Parish records that many of those Livingstons who remained in Morvern after 1851 were largely reduced to being Paupers and sadly that may be the case.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Kirsten/Donald,

A little more info., you will see below that Eliza lived in a town called Helensburgh, this town is about 6 miles across the river Clyde from my home, I will try to get a photo for you,

John.

Jane Stewart McNiven had a daughter Elizabeth b. 08 July 1871 Tobermory, d. 27 May 1889 Tobermory, at time of birth, she does not appear to be married.

Around 1877 she married a McKinnon, no Christian name given, they had a son Duncan b. 1878 Tobermory.

Abt. 1839 she married Donald Morrison at Tobermory, they had three children;

1. Janet b. 1884 Tobermory, d. 1966 Tobermory, m. John Cameron – no family listed.

2. Harriet b. 1887 Tobermory.

3. John b. 1889 Tobermory.

Ann McNiven – m – John McKay 23 Apr 1839 Morvern, they had three of a family;

1. Son Dr. Archibald M. McKay b. 06 July 1839 Milton, Glasgow, d. 24 Feb. 1921 Plymouth, Iowa.

2. Daughter Eliza b. 08 Jan. 1874 Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire, m. Angus Stewart abt. 1900.

3. Daughter Susan b. 22 Feb. 1877 Kilbrandon & Kilchattan, d. 15 Aug. 1912 Oban, m – Alfred Russel Lockie 12 Jan. 1909.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Interesting to learn about the McNiven family of Mull and their connection to Archibald and Cirsty livingston's Morvern family. It is great that found all that detailed info on the family lines. The lady from Australia must connect to one of these descendants of Stewart McNiven and Harriet Livingston. She seems to be the only descendant of Archibald Livingston and Cirsty MacIntyre of Movern doing Archibald's family at all on Ancestry.com oddly enough. Quite often I find several families researching specific Livingston famiies but I of course that is not always the case. I was hoping to find some additional family researcher. Well maybe someone will see some of the posts set up regarding Archibald's family and those of Hugh's and your McNiven info and perhaps in the future some descendant of one of these families like Kristen will contact the forum. We don't get a lot of people anymore but those that do drop by and really show an interest in what is happening here seldom go away disappointed with the research info found here.

Wow. By the 1881 Census there really are very few Livingstons residing in Morvern Parish. I started to count them but it seemed like just a handful at best. I guess the sheep replaced Livingstons. At least your Colonsay Livingston family was able to find work elsewhere in Scotland and not compelled to leave their homeland. And you can always drive to the highlands easily when you want to connect with your Livingston ancestors and the world they knew. For most of the rest of us our Scottish ancestors weren't so lucky, although I am sure most of them did well enough in the new Country where they settled and could own their own farm, with lots of land - perhaps much better in the end than if they had stayed, given the situation in the 19th century in the highlands.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975
Location: Aabybro, Denmark but from Texas and Indiana originally

Post by Maverick1975 »

John and Donald,

I haven't gotten to read all of what you posted in the last day but I will get to it. But look what I found. Hugh and his wife Ruhama at some point moved to Scioto County, Ohio. In the 1860 census they were listed as living in Decatur Twp, Lawrence County. But this newspaper notice of the administration of his estate lists scioto county. It's dated July 3rd 1873.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8229/NE ... ,4529,6346

So I've been trying to come up with theories about where Catherine and her children and Duncan go between stepping off the boat in 1851 and the 1860 Census. Hugh is married and living in Lawrence county with Ruhama at that point. Catherine was married Jan of 1860 so she would be listed with her husband. Christina was also married (2 Feb 1858). Mary is also married (12 Aug 1858) by that point. We know Anna never marries but we don't know about Margaret. John doesn't marry until 1887. So a census in 1860 should show John, Margaret (possibly), Effie and Anna. What really bothers me is Hugh and Ruhama just disappear. Based on the document above we know he dies before July 1873. But shouldn't we be able to find them in a 1870 census? Unless your theory, Donald, is correct that he was wounded or killed in the Civil War. But then would she wait 10 years to probate his estate? Being an attorney, that seems odd to me. Texas has a four year rule. You have four years to probate an estate....I realize its the 1800s but it still seems strange to me.

Okay I found them in an 1870 Census living in Elizabeth Twp, Lawrence County. John, Effie and Anna. No Margaret. So either Margaret is dead or she married. And their last name is listed as Livngton. I'll keep digging tomorrow.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1438024

Sarah Livingston Butler had at least one child, John Butler. I found a marriage record for him.

Kristen
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Okay, it now makes total sense why Hugh Burke was listed as John Livingston's brother in law in the 1900 Census. I have found a marriage certificate on familysearch.com for Margaret Livingston and Hugh Burke, married in Scioto County, Ohio on 31 August 1852. Which explains why she is not living with her family members in the US in any Census. It's possible that maybe it was a planned wedding?? I found a Hugh and Margaret Burke buried in St. Joseph New Cemetery in Cincinnati, ohio. He died in 1884 and she in 1886. Not sure if it's them.

I also figured out where Mary and Margaret where in the 1851 Scotland Census.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... &ml_rpos=9

I read somewhere in the 1840s in Scotland there was a cholera epidemic? Or some sort of epidemic? Is it possible Hugh Sr died in that epidemic?

I also found this page that lists Hugh and Margaret in 1860 and 1880 Census. I think these are some of your posts, Donald. http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=4551

Kristen
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

I do not think the gravesites I found of Margaret and Hugh Burke in Cincy are right. Based on the information I found that Jewel gave as far as their kids, Margaret had to have died later than 1866 because there is a 6 year old child in the 1880 census so unless Hugh had a second wife, she had to have died after 1874.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Perhaps this might help. William Burke Jr. and his brother Hugh who you can see are living with A. Livingston (Angus Livingston father of prominent Ohio lawyer and family historian Duncan Livingston born abt. 1850 in Ohio, were born in scotland and children of Morvern natives William Burke Sr. and Sarah Livingston. William Burke Sr.of Savary, Morvern and Sarah Livingston were married in Morvern Parish in the 1830's. They came to Ohio also in the 1840's. William Jr. was censused living with Duncan's grandmother Catharine Livingston in Achbegg, Morvern in the 1841 Census, and then sure enough you can see in the Scioto County census info for the family of Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret, his mother Catharine and sure enough both William Burke Jr. and brother Hugh Livingston Jr. are living with them. Maybe Angus found work for them with him in the furnace business. Angus was a furnace man. When he left Morvern for several years he found work in the furnace business in Lanarkshire before heading to New york City and Oneida County, New YorkState to visit his Uncle John Livingston and then off to Ohio to find work in the furnace business which he did in Scioto County. That seems to be what attracted him to Scioto County. He wanted to work with furnaces. Anyways getting back to the parents of William Burke Jr. and his brother Hugh. Here is what I have:

William Burke and Sarah Livington a son Hugh Burke born March 30, 1824 Morvern Parish

1841 Scottish Census Achabegg, Morvern, Argyll (In 1845 they joined Angus Livingston in Ohio and his family.
Catharine Livingston age 65 (mother of Angus Livingston)
Duncan Livingston age 30 (brother of Angus Livingston)

William Burke age 13 (son of William Burke Sr. and Sarah Livingston, brother of Hugh)

1850 U.S Census Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio
A. Livingston (Angus Livingston)
Margaret Livingston (wife of Angus Livingston)
Duncan Livingston age 1 born Ohio
Catharine Livingston age 65 born Scotland
Duncan Livingston age born Scotland

John Livingston age born Scotland
William Burke age born Scotland
Hugh Burke age born Scotland

1860 U.S Census Iron Valley, Milton Township, Jackson County, Ohio
William Burk farmer age 80 born abt. 1780 Scotland
Sarah L. Burk age 74 born abt. 1786 Scotland (Sarah Livingston Burke)

(parents of William Burke Jr. and Hugh Burke mentioned above)

1900 U.S. Census Ironton Ward 5 Lawrence County, Ohio
John Livingston age 65 b. March 1835 immigration year 1851

Alice Livingston age 43 wife born Kentucky
Hugh C. Livingston age 11 born Ohio
Samuel G. Livingston age 9 born Ohio
Margaret B. Livingston age 7 Ohio
Anna Livingston age 56 (sister of John Livingston) born Scotland
Hugh Burk age 79 born Scotland

Hope this helps to explain the settlement of these Morvern folk in this area of Ohio. What I find really interesting and something I was not aware of before you contacted the forum is that there were Livingstons from Morvern who settled in neighbouring Lawrence County and that in the 1900 Census you can see an elderly Hugh Burke living with John Livingston son of Effy Livingston from that other Lawrence County, Livingston family clearly showing that the two Morvern Livingston family groups connected to Scioto and Lawrence County not only knew each other this may suggest they might be related to each other. I suspected that anyways once you informed of the existence of Livingston family from Morvern that settled in the neighbouring County of Lawrence but I think the fact that Hugh Livingston son of Sarah Livingston and William Burke is living with Effy's son John Livingston to me really nicely shows a probable family connection back in Morvern between the Scioto and Lawrence County Livingstons. As I said I have been doing Morvern Livingston for several years now and have come to the conclusion through both genealogical research and well as Y chromosome DNA testing of three Livingstons so far with family history indicating their ancestry with Morvern born Livingstons who settled in Canada, that most of the Morvern Livingstons in the 19th century were probably related to one another.

There is virtually no chance of doing a Y chromosome DNA test of a male Livingston descendant of the Scioto County Livingstones of the 19th century because there are none. Duncan Livingstone son of Angus Livingston was an only child who never married and his two uncles that Angus had join him in Ohio John and Duncan Livingston never married or had children. So no chance of finding Livingston descendants there or anywhere in case you eventually were looking them. Your probably more interested in locating Lawrence County Livingston descendants anyways I would assume and you will probably have more luck with that.

John Livingston, Effy's son as mentioned had two sons Samuel and
Hugh Campbell Livingston and they each had one son born in the early 1900's I noticed. If the two sons had family they would likely have been born in the 1950s' and probably still living today somewhere in Ohio or Pennsylvania or elsewhere today. Probably the odds are we may never find a Livingston descendant of Effy's son John to do the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society familytreedna DNA test, but I bet he would be a very close match with the other three Livingston of Morvern Livingston ancestry. I was sorry to discover that on ancestry.com there is one person that I could see who has submitted family genealogy based on the Archibald Livingston and Christian McIntyre. That was the lady from Australia connected to the McNivens. So there is apparently not a lot of researchers working on your Livingston family I assume from that. But perhaps now with your inquiry and my setting up a couple more Posts related to your family research some Livingston relative will see these posts and share some genealogy info with you in the future. From time to time Livingston family researchers visit the forum when they do a search and see some mention of the Livingstons they are researching in our collection of forum postings.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

I just posted about our DNA dilemma in the ancestry.com boards. Hopefully, someone will respond.
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.n ... 56/mb.ashx

The lady you refer to from Australia I believe is the one I emailed last week who connected some of the dots for me before I found you all. Most people who have trees in my line of Effie and Hugh don't have much if any information and some of it is wrong I think. But I will keep digging and looking to see what and who I can come up with. Hopefully we can find a male descendant of John's two sons.

Your information on the Burkes helped....but did Margaret (Effie's daughter) then marry a cousin? Or is that ridiculous question?