Morvern Livingston's of Scioto County& Lawrence County, Ohio

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Morvern Livingston's of Scioto County& Lawrence County, Ohio

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi all,

In earlier postings on this forum in past years, we discussed a family group of Livingstons who settled in Scioto County Ohio in 1840's and had other Livingstons relatives that lived in Oneida County, New York State and elsewhere in Ny and Ohio who were born in Morvern Parish, in Argyllshire and were related to Ewen (Hugh Livingston) a brother of the legendary Jacobite hero Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern who as young man of about 18 rescued his Appin Regiment's banner from the field of Battle at Culloden Moor and returned to it to the Stewarts of Appin after perilous journey back to Western Argyllshire after Bonnie Prince Charlie's forces had been beaten by the Duke of Cumberland's troops.

According a 19th century Scioto County, Ohio history of prominent people in the County,in 1842 Angus Livingston a native of Barr, Morvern, Argyll born January 16, 1808 son of Duncan and Catharine Livingston of Morvern left Lanarkshire and some weeks later arrived in New York City. For several years he had been working as furnace man at Gartsherie Ironworks in Lanarkshire. Upon arriving in New York City he made his way to Waterville, Oneida County, New York where his Uncle John lived. In 1845 Angus was joined by his widowed mother Catharine Livingston and his brothers Duncan and John and they went to Cleveland, Ohio and Angus found work as furnace man at Junior Furnace and later Ohio Furnace in 1849. It was in 1849 that he married in New York City his fiancé Margaret Livingston of Fort William, Inverness-shire who was born December 15, 1807. Angus then went to Clinton Furnace and was there until 1853 when he and his family located on a farm property at Dogwood Place.

Angus and Margaret Livingston had one child, Duncan Livingston born in 1850 in Scioto County, Ohio who became a prominent Ohio Lawyer and later in life a Livingston family historian. In 1896 for the March issue of the Celtic Montly Magazine he wrote a three part article entitled The Stewarts of Appin at Culloden in which he discusses the decisive battle at Culloden Moor in Scotland in 1746 in which the Appin Regiment of Argyllshire participated with Bonnie Prince Charlies forces and the Prine and his Army was defeat by the Duke of Cumberland. In the article he discusses the Appin Regiment at Culloden and of the valour one one soldier in the Appin Regiment, Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 who rescued the banner of his Appin Regiment at Culloden battlefield and returned it Appin, Argyll. Duncan states that many of these stories of the Battle of Culloden and Donald Livingstone he heard from Donald Livingstone's two nieces who had settled in America, Sarah Livingston Burke and her sister Mary Livingston Boyd. The author tells his readers "The story of the preservation of the Appin banner at Culloden the writer has often heard when a child from two nieces of Donald Livingstone, Mrs. Mary Livingstone Boyd and Sarah Livington Burke who the got the same from the lips of Donald himself. The former Mrs. Boyd died in the early part of the sixties; Mrs Burke in the early part of the seventies, both at a ripe old age. They were daughters of his brother Ewen."

The editor of the article adds at the end of Part 2 of the article that Duncan, "also heard when a child and after in manhood from eight other descendants of Ewen any of whom the story is all known as well from several persons familiar with the traditions of Morvern."

Earlier when I was informed from other Livingston researchers of Duncan, several years ago now, I was hoping he would have living descendants, but unfortunately that is not the case. Duncan Livingstone, the author of this article never married according to his earlier mentioned bio and I have found no evidence so far that Duncan's two Uncles John and Duncan who joined their father Angus in Ohio ever married so as it result a Duncan who died in 1910 had no children, this family line has died out.

I did however recently learn that another Livingston family with Morvern roots and some apparent Livingston family connection to the Livingstons that settled in Scioto County, OHIO. Of interest to me was the fact that this other Livingston family Hugh Livingston and Effy Campbell had been residing in Achbegg, Morvern the same settlement area where Duncan Livingston's grandmother Catharine Livingston and her son Duncan born 1810 in Barr, Morvern brother of her son Angus had been living in the 1840's before she and her son Duncan and another son John joined her son Angus in 1845 in America. This other Livingston family that lived in the Achbeg farm area at the same as Catharine Livingston was Hugh Livingston, his wife Effy Campbell and their children. Later following the death of Hugh in the early 1840's in the year 1851, Effy and the children also left for America and interestingly settled very near to where Angus Livingston and his son Duncan were living in Scioto County, Ohio in neighbouring Lawrence County. One wonders if there is some sort of family connection between the Livingston family that settled in Scioto County, Ohio and the family that settled in Lawrence County. What are the odds of Effy and her family settling in rural Ohio a few miles from other Livingston family who had a few years earlier settled the neighbouring County?

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Re: Morvern Livingston's of Scioto County& Lawrence County,

Post by Kyle MacLea »

One can hope they are related! (Shadows of the hope for proving the PEI families are related?)
Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Morvern Livingston's of Scioto County& Lawrence County,

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Actually good news and bad news on that. Angus and Margaret Livingston who settled in Scioto County, Ohio in 1845 only had one child Duncan Livingston the Ohio lawyer and Savary, Morvern Livingston family researcher and Battle of Culloden historian who never married. Angus married another Livingston, Margaret Livingston and had his widowed mother Catharine Livingston of Achbegg, Morvern and his brothers Duncan and John and a William Burke Jr. and Hugh Burke sons of William Burke Sr. and Sarah Livingston. Sarah (I think) was a sister of Angus? William Burke jr. was living with Angus Livingston's mother in 1841 with old Catharine and her son Duncan Livingston brother of Duncan at Achbegg Farm in MOrvern and in more telling of kinship of the Burke family you both William Burke Jr. and his brother Hugh Burke in the U.S. 1850 Census for Vernon Twp. Scioto County, Ohio living with A. Livingston and his wife Margaret infant Duncan the future lawyer, A's brother Duncan born in Scotland, brother John born in Scotland, mother Catharine Livingston and William Burke Jr. and his brother Hugh. No chance of descendants unfortunately as Angus only had one son Duncan as mentioned who never married and the two brother of Angus who were Duncan and John never married either.

But now for the good news. In 1851 a widower Euphemia (Effy) Campbell Livingston wife of the late Hugh Livingston of Achbegg, Morvern and all of her children left Morvern and settled in Lawrence County, Ohio. The early census records are not helpful, but Effy died in 1879 and is buried in a cemetery in lawrence County along with some of her children. Most interesting is that I found one of her sons John Livingston married late in life and had a large family as indicated in the 1900 Census in Lawrence County, Ohio which also lists his immigration year as being 1851 and this census tells us that his sister Anna and of great interest and elderly Hugh Burke is living with the John Livingston family in Lawrence County. What is exciting about Hugh Burke living with a son of the late Hugh Livingston and Effy Campbell Livingston formerly of Achbegg, Morvern who settled in Lawrence County back in 1850 we find that Hugh Burke and his brother William Burke Jr. who lived with Angus Levingston's mother Catharine in Achbegg in 1841 was living with the Scioto County, Ohio family of Angus Livingston father of lawyer Duncan Livingston. So no doubt if you follow me,then that there was a connection likely as I expected between these two Achbegg, Morvern connected Livingston families. So as suspected there is good chance they not only knew each other likely but the Livingstons and Burkes likely were related through their livingston ancestry with the Livingstons who settled in Lawrence County which is why the elderly Hugh Burke who had lived in nearby Scioto County with the one Morvern Livingston family ended up in his old age in the year 1900 with the "other" Morvern Livingston family that lived in neighbouring Lawrence.

Why all this now after the original Scioto County research of 2008 here at the forum?. Well recently the forum was visited by Kristen who recently found out that she is a descendant of a daughter Catharine of this widow of Hugh Livingston of Achbegg, Morvern who was Effy Campbell Livingston. As mentioned in 1851 Effy and her children arrived in New York City and later settled in Lawrence County, Ohio. Kristen came to us seeking information on her Lawrence County Ohio and MOrvern Livingstons. She came to right place. I mentioned that we had some years earlier been researching Ohio Lawyer and livinston family researcher Duncan Livingston born in 1850 in Scioto County, OHioa to parents Angus Livingston of Barr, Morvern and his wife Margaret. I immediately realized that Scioto County and lawrence County, Ohio where Kristen's Livingston kin settled in 1851 were side by side in Ohio. The fact that both families also had resided in Achbegg, Morvern in the 1840's was the kicker for me and convinced me there was a good chance that it there might be some sort of Livingston family connection between the two Livingston families and that it may have been no coincidence that the two Morvern Livingston families settled in neighbouring counties in rural Ohio. So if I have not lost you so far that is what is happening in the original postings from Kristen and some other new posts related to Kristen's original inquiry I have recently posted. The forum is back!!!! (And so is Kyle). Hope you and the family had a good summer holiday.

Kristen may find some relatives of Effy's son John Livingston born in the 1830's of MOrvern, Argyll who is a farmer in Lawrence County, Ohio and recorded in the 1900 Census. He had a large family and some sons in 1900 so there could be some descendants who may doing be doing genealogy as well. If she is looking for Livingston cousins there is a good chance there may be some connected to the this 19th century particular Lawrence County, Ohio family. We have not been contacted by any, but people do see our forum postings I am told by those who do working on their Livingston family research, so eventually someone my see our Lawrence County Livingston research posts. In the mean time do more research on the Lawrence County Livingstons that connected to Effy Campbell Livingston of Achbegg, MOrvern.

This is another example of how are old posts in this really old posts from 2008 can be helpful. Sooner or later there is good chance that some descendant of the many Livingston families we have discussed over 10 years now may drop by.

regards,

Donald