Livingstons at Achabegg, Morvern/Morven, Argyll

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstons at Achabegg, Morvern/Morven, Argyll

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi all,
This Morvern, Argyll Scotland census info is a clue in understanding the Scioto and Walker County, Ohio Livingston family connections I think.
In the 1830's and 1840's and 1850's there were Livingstons and a related Mcinnes family of Savary origin that lived at Achbegg, Morvern. This is not their place of origin, just where they were residing during this period. The trick to following Morvern Livingstons in Morvern is that many of them seemed to migrate from one Morvern settlement or estate to another. This census info also indicates how the later Morvern Livingstons that settled in Scioto County and Walker County, Ohio were tenants residing in Achbegg or Achabeg, Morvern.

1841 Scottish Census Morvern Parish
Savary, Morvern
Myles McInnes age 60
Catharine McInnes age 45
Betty McInnes age 20 ( later known by relatives as "Aunt Betty" Livingston (1818-1912) oldest Morvern resident

1851 Census Achabegg farm
Miles Mcinnes age 76
Catharine McInnes age 70
Donald Livingston age 35 (son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron)
Betty Livingston age 32 (later known by relatives as "Aunt Betty" Livingston (1818-1912) oldest Morvern resident

1841 Census Achbegg, Morvern
Hugh Livingston age 35 ( died sometime between 1845 and 1851 in Morvern)
Euniphenia (Euphemia, Effy) Livingston age 40 ( left for America with her children in 1851 and subsequently settled in Ohio)
Hugh Livingston age 10
Christina Livingston age 8
John Livingston age 6
Mary Livingston age 2
Catharine Livingston age 3 months

1841 Census Achbegg, Morvern
Catharine Livingston age 65 (widow) born abt. 1776 (mother of Angus Livingston Morvern resident of Scioto County, Ohio)
Duncan Livingston age 30
William Burke (Jr.) age 13 ( relative nephew? of Catharine Livingston) son of William Burke Sr. and Sarah Livingston and brother of Hugh Burke.)
(note: Catharine Livingston, her son Duncan Livingston born abt. 1811 or 1810, William Burke Jr., his brother Hugh Burke and another son John Livingston left Scotland around 1845 and joined her son Angus Livingston in Ohio and by the late 1840's were residing in Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio) Also note that in the year 1841 Hugh and Effy Livingston and the widow Catharine Livingston mother of Angus Livingston later of Scioto County, Ohio are both residing in Achabegg, Morvern. Later Effy and family would live in Walker County, Ohio and Catharine Livingston and her sons in neighbouring Scioto County, Ohio obviously not a coincidence. I am using these Achabegg Morvern Argyll, Scotland census records to show the probable Livingston family connection.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstons at Achabegg, Morvern/Morven, Argyll

Hi All,

Donald Livingston husband of "Aunt Betty" Betty Livingston 1818-1912 listed with her in the previous 1851 Achabegg, Morvern census info residing with her father old Myles McInnes, died back in March 11, 1877 age 72 at Lochaline Village. His parents are listed as being Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron. In an 1899 Ohio lawyer and Morvern Livingston family historian Duncan Livingston refer's to Ann Livingston whom he visited in Lochaline, Morvern where she was then residing as "Aunt Betty". Duncan's father Angus Livingston born 1808 in Barr, Morvern, Argyll arrived in America in 1842 and was joined in 1845 by the widow Catharine Livingston born abt. 1776 or 1775 his mother according his son Duncan Livingston's 1903 biography and she appears to be Catharine Cameron or Catharine Livingston widow of the Duncan Livingston. It would appear to me that it is quite likely that the husband of of Ann Livingston 1818-1912 of Lochaline, Morvern, Donald Livingston 1805-1877 was the brother of Angus Livingston of Scioto County, Ohio and Uncle of the visiting nephew Duncan Livingston. A while ago I concluded this after finding Betty's husband death record from 1877. From then on I started to reconstruct as much as was possible the likely family of Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron

Duncan Livingston born 1770's? in Morvern, Argyll died before 1841 in Morvern, Argyll and Catharine Cameron of Catharine Livingston?

1. Ann Livingston b.1804 at Achilan, Morvern
2.? Donald Livingston b. 1806 at Portvada, Morvern d. March 11, 1877 in Lochaline Village, Morvern m. Betty McInnis b. Savary, Morvern 1818 d. 1912 Lochaline, Morvern (Donald's Morvern death record confirms his parents names.)

3. Angus Livingston b.1808 Barr Morvern d. unknown in Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio m. Margaret Livingston (named their only child Duncan) This Duncan Livingston (1850-1910) later visited his Uncle Donald's elderly widow "Aunt Betty" in 1899 in Lochaline Morvern where she resided and wrote a letter to an apparent Livingston cousin Ann Livingston of Walker County, Ohio in 1899 from Lochaline, Morvern speaking of visiting his "Aunt Betty". Betty Livingston died in 1912 the oldest woman in all of Morvern and a well known and well respected person in Morvern. By 1912 there were very few Livingstons left in Morvern.

4. Duncan Livingston b. 1810 Barr Morvern d. Unknown (Single) Came to America about 1845 from Morvern with his mother Catherine Livingson and brother John and joined brother Angus Livingston in Ohio

4. John Livingston (his age in the 1850 Scioto County Ohio Census seems wrong so I can establish an approximate birth date for him

5. Archibald Livingston (there seems to be another son of Catharine Archibald that lived with the family in Ohio in the 1850 Census but the name is misspelled. No info on him

I am in a bit of quandary here?
I know that Angus livings ton's father and mother were either Duncan Livingston and Catharine Livingston or Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron of Morvern, but the Morvern birth/baptism records seems to indicate they were possibly two different couples living in Morvern or maybe in one set of birth/baptismal records the minister recorded Catharine as a Cameron and another as just Catharine Livingston. I am certain that Angus Livingston's father was named Duncan Livingston and his wife was named Catharine and she joined him in Ohio a brother Duncan also born in Barr as was Angus according to his bio and the brother Duncan born in Barr according to Morvern parish records was the son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine Livingston. Angus Livingston in Duncan LIvingstons 1903 bio states he was also born in Barr, Morvern so we have confirmed that Angus of Ohio was born in Barr Morvern in 1808 from Scioto County Ohio bio and from the Morvern Parish records that the brother of Angus a Duncan Livingston was born in 1810 in Barr Morvern so Angus and Duncan livings together in SCioto County ,Ohio as recorded in 1850 U.S census are definitely brothers and definitely the children of a Duncan Livingston and Catharine Livingston. The question just remains if her maiden name was Cameron or just Livingston as the Morvern Parish records suggest two couples lived in Morvern at the same time one Duncan Livingston and Catharine Livingston who had a son Ann born 1804 and son Duncan born 1810 in Barr, Morvern and also a Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron who had accord the parish records a son Donald Livingston born 1806 in Portvada. Yet Duncan the lawyer refers to this Donald's wife Ann as his Aunt like Donald is likely his father's brother. Aunt Ann was a Mcinnes born in Savary in 1818daughter of Miles McInnes so she has to be an aunt by marriage to Donald Livingston who I assumed was a brother of Duncan's father Angus. Hmm. Bit of a mystery?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/Births_Morvern.htm

This link above contains info on Morvern births,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks very much for that link. The challenge is that the Morvern Parish records are incomplete and missing before 1803. Thus I am trying to utilize in addition to the Morvern Parish records other sources such as death records after 1854 of Morvern kin that remained in Morvern Parish after that year, cemetery records, family records, old biographies if they exist such as the one for Lawyer and Livingston family historian Duncan Livingstone 1850-1910 born in Vernon Township, SCioto County, Ohio which includes Duncan Livingston's father Angus Livingston's birth date in 1808 in Barr, Morvern which was great because the brother Duncan born 1810 in Barr is included in the Morvern Parish records but not his brother Angus Livingston's birth records. Around 1845, Angus Livingston's mother Catharine Livingston her son Duncan Livington Jr. b. 1810, as well as another brother John Livingston joined Angus Livingston in America and by the late 1840's were residing in Vernon Township, Scotio County, Ohio. The mother Catharine Livingston was residing in Achabeg, Morvern in the 1840's with son Duncan Livingston Jr. and she was according to her tombstone in the old WHeelersburg Cemetery in Porter Township, Scioto County, Ohio, the wife of Duncan Livingston. Angus Livingston died sometime between 1860 and 1870 and I can't find a gravestone for him or his wife Margaret who died sometime after 1880. His two brothers Duncan Livingston Jr. and John Livingston to be quite old and died sometime after 1880. Have not found their gravestones either but their deaths may have been recorded. I have not checked that as yet in Scioto County, Ohio records. As many of the old Morvern families may well connect with the family of my ancestor Miles Livingston, what ever clues I gather from working with other Morvern Livingston family researchers and their ancestral info may in some way prove helpful to my own Morvern family research. And of course as many of the Mull Livingstons seemed to be ancestrally linked to their Morvern Livingston neighbours all of our research into those families is worthwhile effort for everyone concerned.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I have some more info on younger members of the family, most of whom were born & died in Scotland, not had time to type them up as yet, will try over the weekend.

I also requested Michael who runs Mull Families, to try to contact one of hiss members who is also researching the same family, no reply as yet,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks for doing that. There are no descendants of lawyer Duncan Livington 1850-1910 born in SCioto County, Ohio that the 1903 bio is about and who visited his Aunt, old Betty Livingston 1818-1912 of Lochaline, MOrvern in 1899 unfortunately. The 1903 bio from Ohio suggests he was descendant of Donald Livingstone of Savary, but his own article and his editor of that article suggests that Duncan's relatives and all the Morvern Livingstones he knew were actually descended from Donald's brother Hugh or Ewen who is recorded with him at Savary, Morvern in a 1779 Census of some Argyllshire tenants. Duncan was an only child and his two Uncles Duncan Livingston Jr. b. 1810 and John Livingston that lived for a time with his father and mother and his widowed grandmother Catharine Livingston in SCioto Township, Ohio never married as well. Duncan had a great Uncle however John Livingstone b. abt. 1773, his father's Angus Livingstone's Uncle john who settled way before the rest of them Oneida County, New York State in the early 1800's and came to America with son born in Scotland sometime between 1805 and 1810 I think and is in the 1820, 1830, 1840 and 1850 census in Oneida County, New York State with the exception of a daughters family that is living with him later on and is listed with old John Livingstone the early U.S census records before 1850 until tell me how many sons and daughters he had an approximate age. I did determine that old John Livingstone born abt. 1773 probably in Morvern had one son born before 1810 in Scotland and the two other ones born later than that but I have no names. Anyways with those three sons there might yet be some American Livingston families and descendants connected the Angus Livingston and his son Duncan's Morverrn Livingstone family thought to be connected to the old Savary Morvern Livingstons, but as far as Angus and Duncan's line there is none.

It is however the recent discovery through Kristen and her cousin Stephen Livingston that Angus Livingston and his son Duncan the lawyer had Llivingstons likely related to them in the next county over in Walker County, Ohio who had also lived in Achabegg and elsewhere in Morvern as did Angus Livingston's mother and his brother Duncan Livingston Jr. and seem to be likely related that has me hoping that we believing that we likely have descendants of Morvern cousins of Angus and Duncan Livingston's family whose ancestors lived in the neighbouring County of Walker County, Ohio. They are descended from Hugh and Effy Livingston and although there is less on their descendants than the Scioto County lawyer Duncan Livingston and his family we are working with that challenge.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Checkout the 1872 Ordnance Survey 6" Map below showing coast of Morvern with the Savary, Savary Mill associated with Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and his brother Ewen (Hugh Livingston) and neighbouring Achadhbeag (Achabeg) the last location of Scioto County and Walker County Ohio Livingston settlers of Achabeg, Morvern origin. The last of the old Savary Livingston family to live at Savary was old Donald's son Robert. Living with Robert was a sister Ann. Neither married or had family. Robert died in 1856. Savary tenants were cleared in the 1850's and Ann after the death of her brother before 1861 was then living with her younger brother Alexander Livingston and his family in the family croft at Barr, Morvern. I had heard there was a bit of stonework left from the old mill at Savary but that is overgrown in the 1990's. Donald's children Robert and Ann were the last of that family to reside in Savary. Years after the Livingsons left for America, Achabegg was also cleared of tenants. There is apparently little visibly left of the stone crofts at Achabegg where families like the Livingstons would have lived in.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/recor ... xx/os6inch

regards,

Donald