Achabeg, Morvern, Argyl and Ohio Livingston Connection

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Achabeg, Morvern, Argyl and Ohio Livingston Connection

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,
Just to recap.
While we don't know precisely how the Scioto County and neighbouring Walker County, Livingstons from Morvern, Argyllshire, Scotland who settled in the 1840's and 1850's in Ohio, USA are related it is almost certain that they were and that lived also in Scotland in close proximity to one another before leaving Morvern. In summary then this is what we do know of the connecting links between these two Livingston families that settled in Ohio so far. As often is the case in Livingston family research in Morvern Parish with the Church of Scotland Parish records missing before the year 1803, getting a more detailed picture of the family connections in the 18th century is difficult and in many cases impossible. In 1855 in Scotland, births, marriages and deaths were officially registered and in most cases the death records of some of the Morvern Parish old-timers born in the last quarter of the 1700's had their death entries recorded if they died in 1855 or later and the names of their parents or their spouses included which has proven to be helpful. In the case of the Scioto and Walker County, Ohio, Morvern born Livingstons however since they left Scotland before 1855, one must look to for the most part Ohio record sources and unfortunately, with one exception in the case of the Scioto County Livingstons, do not give detailed family history information regarding the Walker County Livingston family that we are looking for. With the Walker County Livingston family much of information availble is limited to U.S Census records. One significant piece of information connecting the two Livingston families is that before they Morvern they were both residing in Achabegg, Morvern. The earlier ancestral roots probably is in Savary, Morvern and with the Livingstons that were rooted in Savary, Morvern in the 1700's, and neighbouring settlements along the Morvern coast opposite Mull, Argyllshire.

Significantly,according to the 1841 Scottish Census at Achabeg, Morvern, Scotland , Hugh Livingston is residing with his wife Euphemia (Effy) (Campbell) and their children. Also in 1841 Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1776 or 1775 widow of Duncan Livingston and mother of Angus Livingston b. 1808 in Barr, Morvern and and grandmother of Scioto County, Ohio lawyer Duncan Livingston 1850-1910, is recorded in the 1841 Census as residing at Achabegg, Morvern with her son Duncan Livingston Jr. born abt. 1810 and late husband's relative William Burke Jr. A few years later widow Catharine Livingston her son Duncan Livingston Jr. another son John Livingston joined Catharine's other son Angus Livingston in America and the group of them by the late 1840's were residing in Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio. The William Burke Jr who was living with Catharine Livingston at Achabeg, Morvern in 1841 according to the Scottish census, his brother Hugh and their parents William Burke Sr. and his wife Sarah Livingston also apparently left for America in the 1840's. According to the 1851 U.S Census in Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio, the widow Catharine Livingston, William Burke Jr. his brother Hugh Burke, Catharine's son Angus Livingston (A.Livingston), his wife Margaret Livingston, their infant son future Ohio lawyer, Duncan Livingston and Catharine's other sons Duncan Livingston Jr. and John Livingston who were single and never married.

Back in Morvern in 1851, the 1851 Census indicates that Hugh Livingston of Achbeg, Morvern, sometime between 1846 and 1851 died and his widow Effy Campbell Livingston by 1851 residing with her children in Lochaline, Morvern. Later in 1851 Euphemia Campbell Livingston her children Hugh, Christian, Margaret, John, Mary, Catharine, Ann and Sarah with a likely relative Donald Livingston age 44 left Scotland via Glasgow Scotland on the Cora Lin and arrived some weeks later in New York City. Eventually they end up in Walker County, Ohio a neighbouring County beside Scioto County, Ohio where widower Catharine Livingston of Achabegg, Morvern settled with three of her sons in the late 1840's.

Also in 1851 according to the 1851 Scottish census Myles or Miles MacInnis formerly of Savary,Morvern is residing in Achabegg, Morvern with his wife Catharine Livingston Mcinnes and his daughter Betty Mcinnes Livingston (Aunt Betty of the 1899 letter) and her husband Donald Livingston son of a Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron according to his 1877 Morvern death record) are residing together. After her husband Donald's death in 1877, Betty became a successful and well known merchant in Lochaline where she lived for many years after living at Savary and Achabegg, Morvern. In 1899 Scioto County lawyer and Livingston family historian Duncan Livingston 1850- 1910of the Scioto County Livingston family of Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret Livingston took a trip to Scotland and spent two weeks in Lochaline, visiting old Morvern relatives and residents including his "Aunt Betty" McInnes Livingston. (1818-1912) who was born at Savary, Morvern. While staying at Lochaline he wrote a letter to Ann Livingston the daughter of the late Effy Campbell Livingston formerly of Achabegg, and Lochaline Morvern and later Walker County, Ohio sharing details of his visit to Morvern including a visit to the gravesite of Ann's father Hugh Livingston the husband of Effy campbell Livingston. Also he mentions visiting his " Aunt Betty" at Lochaline. This surviving 1899 letter from Scioto County, Ohio lawyer Duncan Livingston to Ann Livington of the neighbouring Walker County, Ohio Livingston family and the other info I have included here I think leave a very little doubt as to the probable shared family connection back in Morvern between these twoOhio Livingston families. While regrettably there are no descendants of the Scioto County Livingston family that is not the case with the Walker County Ohio Livingston family I am happy to say and we have had the privilege of having two of them contact the forum recently.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975
Location: Aabybro, Denmark but from Texas and Indiana originally

Re: Achabeg, Morvern, Argyl and Ohio Livingston Connection

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

That is an excellent summary. Thanks for shaping it up and making it flow!

Kristen
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Actually I wrote that one up rather quickly and left out a few words I noticed, but have since fixed it up a bit. I would have much preferred having found some pieces in the puzzle in the Morvern Parish records but that not the case so far as least regarding the Walker County Ohio Livingstons. I have to say that the Morvern Census records and the subsequent Ohio Census information however have been helped to make significant progress at least establishing the likelihood of a Morvern Livingston family connection between the two Ohio Livingston families and Stephen having that 1899 letter to your Great Aunt Ann Livingston from Scioto County Ohio Livingston Duncan Livingston lawyer and family historian. And I think a good understanding of the family of Scioto County Livingstons which we have ultimately proves of such use as we continue to try and piece together your Livingston which I think have some shared Livingston family connection no doubt. Our Clan Society greatly appreciated your efforts to locate your cousin Stephen and in doing so helping to locate that amazing 1899 letter written none the less than by old Duncan himself. It is times like this that I am reminded why I have many hours doing Livingstone research over the years and why I enjoy genealogy so much as a hobby.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Hey Donald,

I am back at it again and working on my Livingston/Campbell lines (settled in Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio). I am still sure (although I cannot prove it) that Donald Livingston (Betty's Donald), Angus, Duncan Jr., John and my Hugh are all brothers. A couple questions for you. Were there any sisters? And what was John's birthday do you know? I have the others except Hugh of course. Also, I noticed Duncan Livingston and Catherine Cameron possibly had 2 boys named Duncan, one born in 1810 and one born in 1811. Do you think one of those records was actually Hugh's or they had a son named Duncan who died and then the next year had another one? I am determined to prove this theory no matter how long it takes me. :geek:

Respectfully,

Kristen
great+ granddaughter of Hugh and Effy Campell Livingston.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,
How are you? I have been working with Stephen over the last couple of years of and on, seeing I could be of any help with the family history he is working towards.

The Church of Scotland Morvern Parish records unique some other neighbouring parishes are somewhat incomplete and no doubt there are Livingstons not included in these records. The other problem is that surviving parish records do not include births an marriages before 1803 or 1804. My ancestor Miles Livingston my great-great-great grandfather born abt. 1775 stated in his 1812 marriage record that he and his wife Janet (Jessie) Livingston were both natives of Morvern Parish a few days before they left Western Argyllshire and Scotland for the last time for Lord Selkirk's colony in then Hudsons Bay Company territory in what was then British North America and years later Canada. So given that old Miles Livingston was born around 1775 I am also unable to have access to a Morvern Parish birth record. The only reason I know he was born around 1775 was that the colony records in British North America included his age and that his wife when they were residing in Lord Selkirk's Red River settlement. There is also a baptismal record of a Myles Livingston baptized in 1775 on the neighbouring parish of Lismore which could be my Miles Livingston or perhaps a Miles Livingston from neighbouring Lismore Parish. In any event the DNA tests prove that my Livingston family is most closely matching with three of Livingston families with ancestral roots to Morvern Parish, so it would seem that my ancestor was correct in 1812 when he stated his Morvern Parish origins to a Church of Scotland Minister at Bowmore on the Isle of Islay, Argyll before sailing off on the way to settlin g in Britsh North America. DNA is a complicated science, but I suspect that your Livingston ancestors and those of Stephens and my lIvingston kin and mine may have shared a common ancestor in the early 1700's in Morvern Parish. Your most close Livingston relatives I would assume be those who are descended from your ancestor Ewen Hugh Livingston of Savary, morvern brother 1745 rebellion Jacobite soldier Donald Livingston of Savary, Morvern but so far we only have one of them and that cousin Stephen. Stephen should also be a relatively close match in theory with descendants of Ewen (Hugh) Livingston's brother Donald Livingstone 1728-1816.

Note that your ancestor Hugh Livingston was almost certainly named by his father after their 18th century ancestor Ewen (Hugh) Livingston of Savary Morvern. I assume Ewen Livingston of Savary, Morvern to be the grandfather or great-grandfather of your ancestor Hugh Livingston of Achabegg, Morvern. Note that the eldest son of Hugh and Euphemia was named Hugh but on his original birth record interestingly enough he goes by his ancestor more gaelic name of Ewen. I think the fact that Hugh and Euphemia named their son Ewen on the original birth entry in the old MOvern parish book, further suggests that he was named at birth Ewen because his grandfather or great grandfather was Ewen Livingston of Savary, Morvern. Achabegg where Hugh, Ephemia and family were living in the 1840's is just a little east of Savary, basically beside it. I believe that the family of Duncan Livingston and Cathriine Cameron lived in the couple of settlement near the Barr area of Morvern and in Barr in the early 1800's when their children were born and then at some point in time the widow Catharine and her children mostly boys apparently were probably cleared from Barr as far back as the 1820's. Where they went after being removed as tenants from Barr, Morvern not sure, but by the 1830's I assume they had located at Achabegg living in two tenant cottage side by side by the time of 1841 Census and eventually Hugh and Euphemia and their children occupied the second cottage beside old widow Kate Catharine Livingston and her son Duncan. I studied an original copy of the 1841 census and it confirmed that two tenant dwelling one beside the other at the time of the 1841 census at Achabegg, Morvern were occupied by widow Catharine Livingston and her son Duncan and William Burke Sr. and Sarah Levingston's son Hugh Burke and in the other cottage your ancestor Hugh Livingston, his wife Euphemia and family. Duncan Livingston Jr. Catharine's son and neighbour Hugh Livington were recorded in that census as both being employed as agricultural labourers on Achabegg Farm. Hugh Burke later went to Ohio as did his brother William Burke Jr. and his parents William Burke and Sarah Livingston Burke both formerly of Morvern. Shortly after arriving at Scioto County Ohio it was pointed out to me that this Hugh Burke that lived in 1841 with old Catharine and her son Duncan at Achabegg, Morvern married his second cousin a daughter of Hugh Livingston and Euphemia in Scioto County, Ohio. They were married in the early 1850's I think it was. This is the only evidence suggesting the widow Euphemia and her children themselves may have firstly been living in the early 1850's when they first arrived in Ohio in Scioto County where the other Livingstons lived. I don't know when they went to the farm in neighbouring County but there may be land records in the County office tha record when Euphemia and family ended up on a farm in the neighbouring County.

The birth records for the children of Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron are incomplete, but it looks like there is birth record one sister named Anne I think it was, but I don't known anything about her or who she married. You and Stephen are faced with the unfortunate situation, quite common to Church of Scotland records, of a missing birth record for your ancestor Hugh Livingston. Also it is interesting to note that his probable brother Angus Livingston's birth record is also missing but with amazing luck in a 1903 Ohio biography of Angus Levingston's only son Duncan Livingston an Ohio lawyer and Morvern Livingston historian, his biographer in a brief bio on Duncan amazingly includes the birth date of Angus Livingston of Scioto County, Ohio in Barr, Movern, not included in the original 19th century Church of Scotland Morvern Parish Record book. And while Angus Ivingstons birth info is not in the old Morvern Parish records, the Barr, Morvern info for his birth in Barr Morvern in 1808 is a valuable piece of info as the surviving Morvern Parish records indicate that Catharine Cameron, Mrs Duncan Livingston's son Duncan who accompanied him in the 1840's eventually settling with Angus Livingston in Ohio was born in 1810 in you guessed it Barr, Morvern. So without doubt then Duncan born 1810 who lived with mom widower Catharine Livingston (Mrs DUncan Livingston) in the 1841 Census at Achabegg, Morvern and were neighbours in the next croft with your ancestors Hugh Livingston and Euphemia Campbell, were brothers, with Angus born in 1808 and his younger brother Duncan born in 1810 or 1811 in a surviving birth record in the old Morvern Church of Scotland Parish book. Unfortunately we don't have any old family document or biography that we can use to prove that the late Duncan Livingston Sr who died sometime before the 1841 Census in Morvern apparently and his wife Catharine Cameron were the parents of Hugh, but I have drawn upon a number of Clues available from other sources that certainly make me suspect that it is quite likely that Hugh who lived next door to widower Mrs. Duncan Livingston and her son Duncan Livingston at the time of the 1841 Morvern Census at Achabegg were actually family.

For me the final thing that really convinced me that Hugh was probably a son of widower Catharine Livingston of Achabegg Farm, his neighbour and brother of Duncan, John, (Donald who remained in Morvern with wife Betty Mcinnes) and Angus Livingston later of Scioto county, Ohio was that 1899 letter from Lochaline Morvern written by Angus Livingston's son Scioto County
Ohio lawyer and Livingston family historian Duncan Livingston 1850-1910 written to his "dear Cousin" , a daughter of Hugh and Euphemia in which he tells her that he has visited the gravesite of her father Hugh Livingston. This grave can no longer be found as unfortunately as it does not have a grave marker visible as far as know today. But it must have in 1899 I assume or the Nephew? Duncan Livingston 1850-1910 would not have been able to locate it I would think at old Keil Cemetery the old parish cemetery in Morvern. As further possible proof of a family connection Duncan also tells his cousin one of Hugh and Euphemia's daughters that he visited "Aunt Betty" Livingston as he refers to her in Lochaline Morvern. This Betty Mcinnes born in Savary, Morvern daughter of Miles McInnes of Savary and his wife Cathrine Livingston. Aunt Betty lived to be a very old lady in the Lochline Morvern Community living till 1912. Her husband was late Donald Livingston born abt. 1805 or 1806 parents according to his Morvern birth record- you guessed it_ Duncan Livington Sr. and Catharine Cameron according to the old records. This is likely the Donald also that accompanied widower Euphemia Campbell and the children to America seeing that they arrived safely and perhaps briefly visiting with other Livingston relatives in Scioto County, Ohio including his mother Catharine and his brothers.

Another piece of luck in researching this Livingston family that I noted in Ohio is that on old Catherine Liivngton's gravestone it states that she was the wife of Duncan Livingston. So that verified that the Catharine Livingston who is living with son Duncan, John and farmer Angus Livingston in Scioto County, Ohio in th 1851 Census is absolutely a widower Mrs Duncan Livingston from Morvern. Apparently in the early 1800's Catharine and her husband Duncan Livingston moved from one tenant settlement to another along the Morvern at the time of the birth of their children Donald was not born at Barr but I have proof that Catharines son Duncan was born at Barr Morvern in 1810 and the Ohio records indicate that her son Angus Livingston was born two years earlier also at Barr, Morvern which I think pretty much proves that Scioto County, Ohio farmer Angus LIvingson and widower Catharine Livingston tenant of Achabegg Morvern son Duncan Livingston b. 1810 were brothers.

In the process of trying to link your Hugh Livingston to this family group I was as you can see at the same time trying to establish if it was possible that one near complete related Livingston family group settled in Scioto County and later neighbouring Lawrence County, Ohio. There appears to be a daughter born to Duncan Livingston and Catharine Cameron in the early 1800's in Morvern but I don't know what became of her and therefore I don't know if she went to ohio or who she married iN Morvern.

It was indeed a challenge without Hugh's birth record, but working around that as best as I could I think there is enough surviving family info to suggest this was probably one complete family group that lived in Achabegg, Morvern in their last years in Morvern and then in the 1840's and 1850's followed the others into the State of Ohio.

As you may know Angus Livingston of Scioto County, Ohio and his wife also a Livingston Margaret Livington only had one child a son Duncan Livingston 1810-1850 the lawyer and family historian an author of the 1899 letter to your great-Aunt? that Stephen has. And Duncan did not marry or have children so that family line no longer exists today. So no chance of doing a genealogy DNA test to determine 100 percent that the father Angus Livington b. 1808 in Barr, Morvern of Ohio lawyer and Livingston Duncan Livingston 1850-1910 almost certainly were brothers regrettably. The other brothers of Angus, who were Duncan and John from what I can tell remained in Ohio and see no evidence that they ever married either. But the info from Stephen most importantly proves beyond doubt that your ancestor Hugh must have been descended from Morvern Livingstons as the tests proved that Hugh Livingston family in Morvern in the 18th century were likely closely related to my Livingston Kin. As mentioned it is my understanding that these Ohio Livingstons including your Livingstons are descended from an older Ewen (Hugh) Livingston of salary Morvern who was a brother of famous Savary, Morvern Jacobite hero Donald Livingstone (1728-1816). I have after many years and much research also been in contact with a documented direct descendant of the above mentioned Savary, Morvern Donald Livingstone

More later.

regards,

Donald
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Hey Donald,

I'm good :D I hope you are well too?

So another piece to the puzzle possibly that I have been considering. The traditional Scottish naming pattern suggests that the fifth daughter is named after the oldest sister of the father. Hugh and Effie had six daughters and the fifth was Anna. I suspect this is after the daughter Duncan and Catherine had in 1804 but obviously I could be wrong. Also, my great 3xs grandmother, sister to Stephen's John and Anna, was Catherine. I know they did not totally follow the pattern because their first son was named Hugh (I suspect after his father) and their first daughter was Cirsty (Christina). Just another thought I had while doing research.

I continue to try to track down descendants of Hugh and Effie's children. My hope is that someone else has letters and documents like Stephen has had. He had a letter of Anna's so I wonder where the rest of Anna's letters and writings and belongings went when she passed. John was already gone by then and she passed while she was in Baltimore visiting her youngest sister's son. Maybe his descendants have some of that. Anyhow, I will keep working that from my end hoping we'll discover something.

So if we suspect Duncan and Catherine to be the parents of Hugh and I do think we are right, do you know who Duncan and Catherine's parents were?

I have also been reading about the general history of the area and Scotland in general and I think I have narrowed down the years Hugh died. Sarah was born in Feb. of 1846 and Effie applied for financial assistance in 1849 and it lists her as a widow. So Hugh died between 1845 (when she became pregnant) and 1849 when she applied for aid (her appeal was turned down which might be one of the reasons she decided to head to America). In 1847 and 1848, there were several epidemics, cholera, scarlet fever and typhoid. I suspect, but obviously can't prove, he died from one of the epidemics that swept through in 1847 or 1848 and it fits in the time frame of his death. It's too bad there is no stone in the Kiel cemetery. Maybe we will stumble upon a historical document someday that lists the deceased that have burial spots there. Would be nice huh?

Kristen :)
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Donald,

Another question: Am I correct in assuming that John Livingston of Oneida NY was a brother to Duncan (Catherine) Livingston? And then how does Sarah Livingston, wife of William Burke, fit into our Livingstons or does she?

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Kristen :geek:
Maverick1975

Post by Maverick1975 »

Also something else:

I am wondering what happened to Anne Livingston born to Duncan and Catherine on July 15th, 1804. So far I have found no record of her in the states. She would have been in her mid thirties by the time they all immigrated to the US and she was probably married with her own family by then (or deceased possibly). I'll keep digging.

Kristen
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen.

Regarding John Livingston of Oneida County, it is known from Scioto County, Ohio Lawyer and family historian Duncan Livingston's brief bio published in Ohio in 1903 that when Duncan's father Angus Livingston first arrived in America in the 1840's after leaving Scotland, he went to see his Uncle John Livingston of Oneida County, New York State. The 1851 U.S Census confirms that the elderly Uncle John Livingston is living in Oneida County,, Ny and is a widower. His wife who was apparently named Elizabeth died sometime between 1841 and 1851. Living with him is widower Mary Livingston Boyd, whom I assume I believe is probably his widowed sister. So yes John must of been a brother of Angus Livingston's father the late Duncan Livingston Sr. We know from the census info that John was born in the 1770's in Scotland, that sister Mary Livingston Boyd was born in Scotland in the 1770's, that Duncan's widow Catharine (Cameron) Livingston was born in the 1770's and I suspect that Angus Livingston's father Duncan was also born in the 1770's. Of course our info on Duncan Sr. is limited because of fact that he died sometime before the 1841 Morvern Census where by that time his wife Catharine is a widower living with her youngest son Duncan b. 1810 or 1811, next door to your ancestor Hugh Livingston, Euphemia and their family. My assumption as mentioned is that Angus Livingston who almost certainly the son of widow Catharine (Cameron) Livingston and her late husband Duncan Livingston, is the brother of Duncan Livingston b.1810, John Livingston, a Donald Livingston married to Betty McInnes who by 1851 after the others had departed for America, Donald Livingston and Betty interestingly enough located themselves and their children in a croft at Achabegg. Later Donald and betty Livingston moved to Lochaline. Donald Livingston died in 1877 in Lochaline. As mentioned in 1899 according to old letter that Stephen's father had obtained, Scioto County, Ohio lawyer and family historian Duncan Livingston 1850-1910 wrote one of your great Aunts while visiting Lochaline Morvern in 1899 referring to her as "cousin" and to Donald Livingston's widow Betty McInnes Livingston still residing at Lochaline in 1899 as "Aunt Betty". I think this letter strongly reinforces the notion that the lawyers father farmer Angus Livingston of Scioto County, Ohio and your ancestor Hugh were brothers. I of course when you first introduced me your cousin Stephen, I had no idea his father had that old letter and he had no idea I think who all the kin mentioned in the letter were. So by locating Stephen, you really helped to get some progress on helping to learn more about your Livington family origins and I very much appreciate your contribution on this.

So yes I it is my assumption that the John Livington of Oneida County, New York State was a brother in law of Widow Catharine Livingston (Mrs. Duncan Livingston) formerly of Achabegg, Morvern and later of Scioto County, Ohio and brother of her husband the late Duncan Livingston Sr. of Morvern, Argyll. I was pleased to find that Catharine's old tombstone in Ohio also refers to her late husband as Duncan, so that helped to reinforce my notions regarding a deceased Duncan Livingston Sr being the father of Angus, John, Duncan, Donald and quite likely Hugh as well I assume. More later.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kristen,

Chronic allergies and nothing seems to work. They come and go. Feel great for a few months and then something triggers them. Just have to ride it out.

You asked about Sarah Livingston Burke. She and her husband William Burke came to Ohio also in the 1840's apparently. Ohio historian Duncan Livingston stated that Sarah Livingston Burke and Mary Livington Boyd who lived with father's Uncle John Livingston in Oneida County were sisters and elderly nieces of Ewen (Hugh) Livingston of Savary, Morvern brother of one time Jacobite soldier and supporter of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the 1745 Rebellion, Donald LIvingtone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern.

I assume that they were also sisters of Uncle John Livingston of Oneida County, NY. Another connection family clue regarding this Burke family William and Sarah had two sons William Burke Jr. and Hugh. Hugh as young man was living with widower Catharine (Cameron) Livingston and her son Duncan Livingston Jr. at Achabegg. You can see that in the 1841 Census of Morvern some years before Cathrine and her son Duncan Jr. joined her son Angus Livingston in America in the 1840's. Then in the 1851 Scioto County, Ohio census you have on the farm of Angus Livingston his wife Margaret his infant son Duncan, brother Duncan livingston, John Livingston, interestingly another Livington brother whose name I read, and I believe William and Sarah's son William Burke Jr. if I am not mistaken. So there is no doubt that the Burke family o fMorvern is related to your Livingstons these Livingstons of Scioto and neighbouring Lawrence County, Ohio. It was also pointed out to me that William Burke and Sarah Livingston's son Hugh I think it was, married a daughter of Hugh and Euphemia in the early 1850's Years later you also find Hugh by then an elderly widower living with of one of Hugh and Euphemias sons I think it is was in Ohio. So many interesting clues linking the Sarah Livingston and her William Burke Sr. to your family. There are to be sure some missing pieces in the puzzle, but we have been lucky finding some significant pieces such as the 1899 letter linking the two families for sure and all the other info pointing to a family connection between the Livingstons that lived in Scioto County and those of neighbouring Lawrence County. I have found it to be a really interesting familiy research project and I know that Roberta and others felt the same. And as it turns out I discovered what I had suspected all along that I am apparently a distant cousin of you and your cousin Stephen on the Livingston side of my family.

regards,

Donald