David Livingstone and Ardnamurchan Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Cameron Livingstone

Re: David Livingstone and Ardnamurchan Livingstones

Post by Cameron Livingstone »

Hi Greg

I thought that was the case. Unfortunately I have no contact with any of my Grandmothers brothers children or descendants who live in Scotland. Whilst its easy to track backwards in time to locate ancestors, due to data integrity issues in the UK its much harder to find descendants and living persons.

I do know however my Grandma , who was born in Callander, had brothers or nephews who moved to the states and who I have been trying to locate. I note you are from the other side of the pond and wondered if you are aware of any Livingstons who originated in Callendar living in the states who are part of the project ?

Kind Regards

Malcolm
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Malcolm,

I am also related to Livingstons on my paternal side but my father and I are not Livingstons. In my case I asked a Livingston family researcher who is a third cousin if her father would do the DNA test and that is how I am involved in the project. Just recently we were contacted by a descendant of a Morvern Livingston and was told about our DNA project and was able to find another descendant of her Livingston ancestors to do the familytreedna test which he just did a couple of weeks ago. In the past also some Livingston family history researchers have sponsored their brothers and fathers. I think there is very good chance you are distantly related to Livingstons of the early 19th century Glenmore Ardmurchan family but until we find a cousin of yours to test I can't be certain of that. But based on the testing of an Australian descendant of an old Glenmore, Ardnamurchan Livingston family who also lived at Swordlea Chordack, that Ardnamurchan Livingston family is related to the same DNA test group of Western Argyllshire origin as many of those from neighbouring Mull and Morvern parish such as my third Livingston cousin who like me has Morvern Parish Livingston ancestry. If you can find a map of the Ardnamurchan area you will notice it is just across the Sound of Mull to the north of Tobermory, Mull so it it not at all surprising to me that our first descendant tested of an old Ardnamurchan Livingston family had similar DNA results to those of Morvern and nearby Mull in particular. Of this particular DNA group there are several with Mull origins, three with documented Morvernl origin and one with documented Ardnamurchan origins. So with only one Ardnamurchan tested with roots with a Glenmore, Ardnamurchan I think the next step would be to encourage a descendant of a Ormasaig, Ardnamurchan family possibly a relative of yours to be tested to confirm whether your Ardnamurchan Livingstons are related to this previously tested Glenmore, Ardnamurchan Livingston family.

So all is not lost. Perhaps a Livingston relative you know of might be interested or perhaps through some searching a distant Livingston relative can be found. It looks the old Glenmore Livingston family that was living at Glenmore in the 1800's and before that has been tested and identified as to their DNA, but I think a test of a Livingston with routes with Ormasaig, Ardnamurchan where your Livingstons lived would confirm whether or not the two Livingston families were related. As I said the test results of the old Glenmore, Ardnamurchan Livingston family descendant indicated they were not related to Dr. Livingstone and I think it therefore quite likely your are not either. My father and his father also had a family story of being related to Dr. Livingstone, but the familytreedna test of my third Livingston cousin proved that was not the case. Almost every Livingston family I am aware of has a story of connection with the Livingston family of Dr. David Livingstone. This renowned and highly respected victorian era, missionary and explorer was proud of his Scottish family origins and all Livingstons whether closely related or not saw him as one of their own during his lifetime as particularly in the years following his death in Africa. I think we can all be proud of Dr. Livingstone as a Livingston and see him as one of our own whether he is related to us or not. I think he exemplified the best of humanity and what can be achieved if one focuses themselves on a life of helping others.

I think the next step might be to find other Livingstons related to you through your Ormasaig Ardnamurchan Livingston family. I will see what I can find of any other Livingstons of other possible Ardnamurchan Livingston families. So far we have only been contacted from the Glenmore/Swordley, Ardnamurchan Livingstons but other descendants of the other Ardnamurchan Livingstons may be out there somewhere doing their family research. So I will check that out and see what I can find. In the mean time you could check your Paternal Grandmother's line and see if your can locate some of your second or third Livingston cousins if possible and see if they are interested in your family research project and see how that goes.

Sorry I just saw your latest response to Greg's message. Yes it is difficult to find more recent info helpful in locating current living descendants because of privacy issues. I will check ancestry.com and see if I can find any potential relatives of yours researching your family branch and for that matter other Livingstons researching the other Ardnamurchan Livingston families. If we can't find your cousins I think we should still get the wheels going and focus our efforts on telling other Ardnamurchan Livingston family researchers about this forum and of our interest in locating your and other Ardnamurchan LIvingstons such as I am doing with my on neighbouring Movern Parish Livingstons currently for my own Livingston family research. I recently was fortunate enough to be contacted by two descendants of another MOrvern Livingston family one of which had just done a Dna test so that is now four Morvern Livingstons tested and he may turn out be a match with the other three who are all a close match but you can never be sure of the results with DNA testing I am long since learned. Sometimes the results can be surprising.

Anyways I will see how many descendant of Ardnamurchan Livingstons are researching their family lines beyond those who over the last few years have contacted the Forum from the Glenmore/Swordley, Ardnamurchan Livingston family and take it from there. Hopefully we can find a Livingston cousin of yours out there somewhere.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Malcolm,

On a positive note there seems to be about 10 descendants of Duncan Livingston and Mary McMillan researching these Ardnamurchan Livingstons with ancestry.com. I found at least one Livingston a Malcolm Livingston and started to send a message to him but suddenly it dawned on me that might be you and so deleted a message that took me a half hour to compose regarding our quest. Please let me know if you are the Malcolm Livingston who posted their Ardnamurchan ancestry info for Duncan Livington and Mary McMillan. There is one other who may be a Livingston. The others are related to Duncan Livingston but I am not certain as yet whether they are Livingstons. Anyways if you could let me know whether or you are the Malcolm Livingston who contributed a Duncan Livingston family tree to Ancestry.com I would appreciate that and help in my search to find others related to you.

regards,

Donald
Cameron Livingstone

Post by Cameron Livingstone »

Hi Donald

My tree is posted in Ancestry. My Member name is Chelseadons and my tree is Newing for Mac 1. I'm not sure what you have picked up but my name is Malcolm Newing not Livingston. As explained above I lost the Livingston name when my grandmother Sarah married a Royal Marine John Newing in Portsmouth in 1892. There are a number of people who seem to be laying claim to my Duncan Livingstone but they all have his father as a Neil Newing. As you have found on Duncans death certificate they have misled themselves. By the way I still can't get Duncan's death certificate up on Scotlands People. can you help ?

Malcolm
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Malcolm,
Sorry. I think it was the "Cameron Livingston" that confused me. I am working on a number of Livingstons at one time and that can happened when your working with a number of different Livingston researchers as I do. Yes I realize your not Malcolm Livingston, but he might be related to you.

I am not certain why you are having difficulty locating Duncan Livingstone's death record in a Scotland's People search
It is under Livingstone not Livingston. Just do a search of a Duncan Livingstone death year 1893 Kilmore and Kilbride Parish and you should find his death entry as I did.

District of Kilmore and Kilbride, Argyll Deaths Pg. 19
Duncan Livingstone retired farmer and widower of Mary McMillan
June 27, 1893 14 Airds Cres. Oban
Parents: John Livingstone farmer deceased and Catharine McIntyre
Informant: daughter Mary Livingston
I can't read the age at time of death. Looks like 75. I would think it should be 85. Anyways definitely the right guy. Perhaps that age is what has thrown some people off. That is definitely your ancestor's death record. You can see in the 1891 Census that Duncan Livingston age 83 is living with his above mentioned daughter Mary at 14 Airds Cres. (Oban) some of his grandchildren. It also states his birthplace as Ardnamurchan. I do think the age info in the previous census records is also confusing as in the 1881 Census his age given is 70 and in 1861 Census Duncan's age is 51 so a lot of people may be thinking that Duncan was born abt. 1810 or 1811 in Ardnamurchan Parish when it maybe as early as 1808.

Give it another try.

regards,

Donald