Donald Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.

Re: Donald Livingstone

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi John,

Bill is the first Livingston with roots to Kinlochspelvie Parish dating back to at least the late 1700's. In the earlier contact with Bill I was informed that his earliest ancestors were Duncan Livingston and Catharine Mcdougall. Duncan Livingston appears to have born likely in Torosay, Mull in the 1760's. His parents I have just discovered may have Duncan (Maclea) Livingston Sr. born probably in the 1730's and Sarah McPhadden, but not 100 percent certain of that. What I do know for certain from his 1856 death record at Drimnatain that Duncan Livingston and Catharine McDougall's neighbour at Drimnatain in the early 1800's Angus Livington 1762-1856 according to his death record was the son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine Mcdougal.

As Bill's ancestor's neighbour Angus Livington 1762-1856 is recorded in the 1851 census as being born in Torosay Parish while his son and family are born in Kinlochspelvie Parish in that same census, it would seem that this Livingston family who lived at Drimnatain and near Croggan and Dalhana in the late 1700's and 1800's, likely lived elsewhere in old Torosay Parish earlier in the 1700's. Old Torosay and Kinlochspelvie Parish seem to have connected in later years, but I assume the family in the 1851 are stating that old Angus was born in a different part of Mull than Drimnatain where the others in the family were later born. This info is a helpful clue for Bills family research as it can be stated I think that in the earlier period of the 1700's it appears that his Livingstons lived elsewhere somewhere in old Torosay Parish but still in Mull.

Bill was in touch with the forum earlier as you know and this second phase of the family research has proven to give us some insight into this Kinlochspelvie Parish Livingston family group. A nice addition to our knowledge of some of the Livingstons that resided in Kilfinichen Parish and Kilninian Parish in Mull that we have worked with through the forum or the DNA project. Virtually all of the Livingstons I have worked with on the Forum or our DNA Project with Mull roots the exception of your Kilfinchen Parish Livingstons had ancestors from Kilninian Parish, so with Bill's Livingston family info I think it marks the first time that the forum has been visited with someone with Livingston some roots in Kinlochspelvie and Torosay Parish.

I enjoyed learning about the Killean Cemetery and that some Livingstons with a Drimnatain connection were buried there. Like in the case of Keil Cemetery in Movern, where many of my Livingston kin are apparently buried, most of the older Maclea/Livingston gravestones from the 1800's and well before are missing or they were buried with out a proper gravestone. Some of the more recent Livingston stones fortunately in Killean Cemetery do survive and some of them I recognize as being connected to the Livingstons that resided in nearby Drimnatain or Croggan.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Previous

Return to Ancestral Search