Angus Livingstone was my 4th g-grandfather

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
sconant

Angus Livingstone was my 4th g-grandfather

Post by sconant »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this website/forum, but I wanted to reach out in hopes of finding information/photographs/documents about my Livingstone ancestors.

My great-grandmother was Johanna Livingstone, daughter of Archibald Livingstone (a river pilot), son of Roderick Livingstone, son of Angus Livingstone of Argyll, Scotland.

My great-grandmother, Johanna, was born in Glace Bay, Cape Breton, in 1894. Her father was Archibald (Archie) Livingstone, and I understand he was a river pilot, guiding larger ships safely down river. Archie's father was Roderick Livingstone, who was the son of Angus Livingstone.

Does anyone have any information/photographs/documents for any of these Livingstones? I have a nice collection of photographs featuring my Grammy Johanna and her sisters, after they immigrated to New Hampshire/Massachusetts. But I'm hopeful that someone out there will have photographs or information about Archibald and/or Roderick and their families.

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Sean Conant
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone was my 4th g-grandfather

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum.
I am not related to Angus buthave done a bit of research on your ancestor Angus Livingston a former sailor with the Royal George which was involved in the defence of the English Channel during the Napoleonic Wars. I think it was in 1819 in the years following the end of the Napoleonic Wars, when his family settled at Cape Breton and he received land at Boularderie in Victoria County, Cape Breton in present day Nova Scotia. Your ancestor Angus Livingston was apparently born in the 1770's in Kilninian Parish, Mull and it is known that he named his property in Cape Breton "Kilninian" which pretty confirms his origins in Kilninian Parish, Mull. There is in the Kilninian Parish, Church of scotland records a record of an Angus Livingston and Christy McLucas who were married in the 1790's and according to the Baptism records of their children Angus and family were residing at place called Penmore in the North part of Mull in Kilninian Parish. Ann Capstick is also a descendant of Angus Livingston and one of the foremost researchers on this family of ancestor Angus Livingston and she has some info on this families on a webpage. Angus Livingstone was apparently born abt. 1773 likely in Kilninian Parish, Mull and died about 1840. A Christy Livingston apparently a widower recorded in the 1861 Census in Boularderie may be Angus Livingston's widow.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ... ngstn.html

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sean,

I don't know too much about Roderick Livingston. The 1871 census of Boularderie, Victoria County there is a record of his death as having occurred in December of 1870 and that he was a sailor and pilot of a ship age about 60 at the time of his death.

I assume that Flora Livingston age 46 born abt. 1825 in that census at Boularderie, Victoria County recorded as a widow is the widow of Roderick Livingston.

Flora Livingston age 46 maiden name (Flora Sutherland)
Jessy age 25
Archy age 23 (Is that your river pilot ancestor?) born abt. 1848 or 1847
Christina age 17
Lachy age 14
Sarah age 12
Jessy age 8

Later son Archibald is in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census and residing in Big Bras d'or or Boularderie Victoria County, cape Breton with his wife Mary and their children I see your ancestor his daughhter Johanna according to the 1901 census was born June 3, 1895. At the time of the 1901 Archie's widowed mother Flora is still living with the family so she must of died sometime after the year 1901. I don't know if Roderick her husband how died in 1870 had a tombstone but you would think his wife who died years later would of had one which would include her husbands death date. I have see photos of Roderick's brother's Alexander and Archibald gravestones apparently from a local cemetery but I have not seen if Roderick and his wife Flora had one.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/Sean,

I think the lot below could be worth a further look at, names below tie in with family names, although, as usual dates do not tie in exactly, but they rarely do.

John.

Angus Livingstone – m – Christina McLugais (McDougall in English) bef. 1768 Penmore, Kilninian & Kilmore.

a). Angus Parents;
f. John, no dates available. m. Catherine Cameron, no dates available.
Angus chr. 19 Oct. 1769 Penmore.

b). Christina Parents;
f. Roderick, no dates available. m. Catherine Campbell, no dates available.
Christina chr. 13 Oct 1771 Caliach, K&K.

c). Family of Angus & Christina (All chr. Penmore).

1. Donald, chr. 12 Nov. 1798.
2. Catherine, chr. 01 July 1800, d. bef. 1807.
3. Archibald, 23 Dec. 1803.
4. John, 20 Dec. 1805.
5. Roderick, 20 Dec. 1805.
6. Alexander, 23 Dec. 1807.
7. Annie, 06 Nov. 1809.
8. Catherine, 04 Sept. 1811.
9. Angus, 26 Mar. 1815.

d. Family of John Livingstone & Catherine Cameron

1. Donald, chr. 18 July 1768, Aird of Penmore.
2. Angus, chr. 19 Oct. 1769, Aird of Penmore.
3. Flora or Florence, chr. 05 Sept. 1771, Aird of Penmore.
4. Donald, chr. 11 May 1774, Druimghigh (sp??)
5. Mary, chr. 12 Nov. 1776, Duchorin & Arivoichoan.
6. Archibald, 10 July 1778, Penmore.
7. Archibald, chr. 30 Dec. 1779, Sunipol.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John/Sean,

Old Mull family McLucas also spelt McLucash frequently appearing in later 17th and early 1800's records in Mull with Livingstons they married in Mull.

One other son of Angus Livingston and Christina McLucas that settled with father Angus and family in 1819 at Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton, Lachlan omitted from birth records of kilninian and Kilmore records born abt. 1799 probably at Penmore like his other sibling. Lachlan or Lachy as he was called settled in Boularderie, Bras d'or Victoria County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with his parents and siblings in 1819. He is not recorded with the other siblings of Angus and Christina but fortunately just before leaving Penmore, Mull with Angus and the rest of his family there is a marriage record of Lachlan Livingston of Kenmore marrying Margaret Livingston on Feb. 10, 1818.

Roderick interestingly enough originally recorded a b. Dec. 20 1805 as Roger Livingston in the original 1805 entry. Roderick son of Old Angus, who was a sailor and river pilot in Cape Breton and died in 1870, was recorded in those Kilninian Parish records as Roger. Roger, Rodger Roderick basically the same name. I assume that Roger is Roderick and it looks like some descendants of Angus Livingston Sr. do as well.

Just to complicate Livingston family research in Mull there were two John Livington and Catharine Campbells that were married in the year 1805 in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish and just to make matters more complicated both families left Mull in the early 1820's and settled in Nova Scotia. Interestingly two descendants of the John Livingston married in 1805 in Kenmore and one descendant of the other John Livingston married in 1805 of Penalbanach, Mull but originally unlike the other John Livingston the Pennalbach, Mull Livington was actually born in Morvern all have participated in our Clan Society DNA test. No Livington descendant of Angus Livingston of Penmore has a yet been tested and the test of the descendant of the Penmore John Livingston and Catharine Campbell just happened a couple of weeks ago. No proof that Angus Livingston o fPenmore and John Livingston of Penmore were brothers or cousins but the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society DNA test might help to answer that question.

regards,

Donald
sconant

Post by sconant »

Thanks Donald and John! Also, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to check inon this forum and reply to your helpful comments and research.

Once again I'm pursuing more connections and details about these tricky Livingstons. Have either of you, or anyone else on here, discovered more details about these generations of the Livingston family of Penmore/Mull and Boularderie?

My ultimate goal (other than getting solid birth/death dates and names for everyone) would be to obtain photographs/images of my ancestors, family documents (eg. deeds, land grants, birth/death/marriage certificates, immigration dates/details, etc!

I'm so anxious to learn more about my ancestors. If anyone can help I will be so very grateful!

Best,
Sean
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sean,

We have been in contact in the past with descendants of Angus Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton but no one descended from the son Roderick who died in December of 1870 according to the 1871 Census. The Ann Capstick info states that Flora Sutherland was his widow and she also had info regarding the children of Flora. The widow Flora Livingston and her children are firstly listed in the 1871 Census:

1871 Census Boularderie, Victoria County
Deaths: Roderick Livingston Farmer and Pilot died December 1870 age 60 (death info at end page of census section)
Flora Livingston age 46 Widower
Jessy age 25
Archy age 23
Christina age 17
Lachy age 14 (short for Laughlin I think)
Sarah age 12
Jessie ? age 8

Your ancestor Roderick Livingston is recorded in the 1871 Census as having died in December of 1870 at age 60 and this may be the only source of info for an approximate birth year of abt. 1810. However I believe that to have been a guesstimate and actually I have found his baptism record from five years earlier in the Kilninian Parish, Mull, Scotland records that suggest he actually born five years earlier about 1805 in Mull, Scotland.

Roderick Livingston baptized 1805 is included in the baptisms of the chidren of Angus Livingston and Christy McLucas of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Mull in the early 1800's before the Angus, Christy and family left in 1819 for Cape Breton. To recap:

Penmore Livngston family no. 1
[b]Angus Livingston and Christina (Christy) McLukas of Penmore, Kilninian Parish Mull
Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyll, Scotland m. Christina McLukas on Feb. 8, 1796. Penmore, Mull

Children:
1. Donald Levingston bap. Nov. 12, 1798 Penmore
2.Lachlan Livingstone born abt. 1799? m. Margaret
Livingston Feb. 10, 1818 Penmore, Mull, Argyll
3.Cathrine Livingstone bapt. July 1, 1800 Penmore
4. Archibald Livingston bapt. Dec. 23, 1803 Penmore
married Jane Beaton in Cape Breton
5. Rodger (Roderick?) Levingston bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore
6. John Levingston bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore (twins)
7. Alexander Levingston bapt. Dec. 23, 1807 Penmore
Mull married Isabella Deeson in Cape Breton
8. Anne Livingston bapt. Nov. 6, 1809 Penmore
9. Cathrine Livingstone bapt. Sep. 4. 1811 Penmore
10. Angus Livingstone bapt. March 28, 1815 Penmore

Please note that your ancestor Roderick Livingston is referred to in his 1805 baptism record by a nick name Rodger and recorded as a "Levingston" rather than Livingston which was the spelling choice of the census taker in Mull for some reason.

Angus Livingston arrived in Cape Breton in 1819 but may have been in Nova Scotia area since 1816?
Received land at Boularderie in Victoria County, Nova Scotia
1820 Angus Livingson Petition to Ainslie
Petitioner a native of Scotland is married and has eight children. He has lived in Cape Breton since Sept. 1819. He served in the Navy. He asks for a lot in the west side of Boularderie. Note” Reccomended Name (of property to be) “Kilninian” (after Kilninian Parish were Angus and family was from)

Angus Livingston’s son Laughlan Livingston’s petition for land grant 1820
Laughlan Livingston Petitioner age 21 (b. abt. 1899) a native of Scotland is married and has one child. He has lived in Cape Breton about four months. He asks for a lot on south side of Great Bras d’or Note: recommended name: Frackit Hill.

1826 Petition of Angus Livingston
Petition to Kempt
Petitioner is a native of Scotland age 53 is married and has eight children. He received from Gov. Ainslie a lot on Great Brad’or where he was the first settler. He served in the Royal Navy on the Royal George and also the local militia. He asks for a grant of a 100 acres……

Penmore Livngston family no. 2
John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Mull
John Livingston of Penmore m. Catharine Campbell December 31, 1805 at Penmore, Mull
according to the Kilninian Parish records from Mull, Argyll Scotland. From 1805 to 1820 their children were baptized while they resided at Penmore and neighbouring Aird and near the Northern coast of Mull. Then according to a letter of departure of 1821 from Mull officials, that was at one time in the possession of a descendant of John Livingston's son Alexander Livingston b.1814, this Penmore, Mull John Livingston, Catharine Campbell and their children left Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Mull for Nova Scotia abt. 1821.

Children of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Mull
1. Mary Levingston bapt. Nov. 17, 1806 Penmore
2. John Levingston bapt. June 27, 1808 Aird (of Penmore)
3. Jannet Livingston bapt. Sept. 3, 1810 Aird (of Penmore)

4. Donald Livingstone bapt. Nov. 8, 1812 Aird (of Penmore)
5. Alexander Livingstone bapt. June 3, 1814 Aird of Penmore
6. Catharine Livingston bapt. Aug. 21, 1816 Penmore

7. Colin Livingstone bapt. Sept. 1, 1818 Penmore

8. Christina Livingstone bapt. Dec. 26, 1820 Penmore

A Y chromosome genealogy DNA test from Familytreedna by a "Livingston" descendant of Angus Livingston of Boularderied is the only way of ultimately of determining if Angus Livingston and this John Livingston who both lived in Penmore, Mull in the early 1800's were related kin. There are no surviving parish records from Mull to prove a family connection just this info from the Kilinian parish records indicating that both Angus and John were living in Penmore Mull at the time of their marriage and the baptism of their children in the early 1800's before each of the two famlies left subsequently for Nova Scotia.

A descendant of John's son Alexander born 1814 and a son Colin born in 1818 are currently participating in our DNA project but we have not as yet a "Livingston" descendant of Angus Livingston of Boularderie in our genealogy DNA project. One of our Livingstons that is doing Canadian Livingston research is touch with a descendant of Angus Livingston and I am hoping this person may be able to help us to solve the mystery of whether Angus and this John Livingston of Penmore, Mull were related. Alexander Livingston b.1814 lived in the mid 1800's at Skye Mt near WHycocomagh, Inverness County, Cape Breton and his brother Colin Livingston b. 1818 lived nearby in the WHycocomagh, INverness County area. In the 1860's Colin left the WHycocomagh area of Cape breton for Kings County, Prince Edward Island where he died in 1867. I think it significant that both ALexander and Colin Livingston lived in close proximity to each other in the WHycocomagh, INverness County area and that your Angus Livington ancestor also with Penmore, MUll origins lived in the next County over which is Victoria County. Sometimes close proximity and the fact that the two families had roots to Penmore, Mull might be a clue they were related. That is to say the two sons of JOhn Livingsotn and Catharine Campbell I mentioned ALexander and Colin Livingsston and your ancestor Angus Livingston of nearby Boularderie, Bras dor, Victoria County, Cape Breton. Whether these Livingstons were related is on my list of things to prove in the next couple of years hopefully.

It should be noted that although ANgus and John Livingston were both residing in Penmore Mull in the early 1800's with their wives and family I do not see any Livingstons residing at Penmore, Mull in the 1779 Argyll census so it appears likely that both Angus and John were born in some other location in Mull in the 1770's. But that being said I think it could still be significant that both Angus and John Livingston and their family were residing in the Penmore area around the same time in the early 1800's and were apparently the only Livingstons residing in the Penmore area at that time suggesting they could have been two brothers or kin of some sort who settled there in the late 1700's or early 1800's around the time of the marriages.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sean,

Perhaps someone from the Bras d'or Boularderie, Victoria County, Livingston family group will see your request for info in the future. I am hoping to hear from more Boularderie livingstons. Our Clan Society has been in the past been in contact with a descendant of Penmore, Mull John Livingston and Catharine Campbell's son Alexander and Colin who at one time lived in Cape Breton in the 19th century and we have in the past been in touch with other descendants of old Angus Livingston of Bras d'or Boularderie, Cape Breton. We hope to eventually try to determine whether this John LIvingston of Penmore, Mull and ANgus Livingston of Penmore, Mull were related.

Here is all of the census records on your Livingstons I found. 1871, 1881 1891 and 1901 have old Flora Llivingston widow of Roderick listed. I assume she died some year after the 1901 Census at Bras d'or. She is not recorded in the subsequent 1911 Census. After her husband's death in 1870 you can see that the eldest son Archie Livingston your ancestor became the head householder and took over the farming. I assume that Flora was born sometime between the years 1823 and 1825 and that the 1833 llsting in the 1901 Census is wrong.

1871 Census Boularderie, Victoria County
Deaths: Roderick Livingston Farmer and Pilot died December 1870 age 60 (death info at end page of census section)
Flora Livingston age 46 Widower b. abt. 1825?
Jessy age 25
[b]Archy age 23[/b]
Christina age 17
Lachy age 14 (short for Laughlin I think)
Sarah age 12
Jessie ? age 8

1881 Census

Flora Livingston age 57 Farm Woman b. abt. 1824?
[b]Archy age 27 Farmer[/b]
Lauchlan age 22
Sarah age 21
Jesse age 18

1891 Census
Archy Livingston age 46
Mary age 33 (wife)
Angus Rory age 7
Effie age 5
Jessie Florence age 3
Flora age 68 (mother of Angus) abt. 1823?
Lachlan age 35
Sara age 29

1901 Census Big Bras d'or Victoria District Cape Breton
Archie Livingston age 54
Mary Livingston age 41
Temmie? age 17 b. March 16, 1884 (I assume this is a nickname for Effie)
Jessie age 14 b. March 14, 1887
Maggie age 12 b. Sept 12, 1889
Lachlan age 8 June 3, 1895
Joanne age 6 June 3, 1895
Angus age 5 b. Dec. 5, 1896
Flora age 88 b. abt. 1833 ?

1911 Census Big Bras d'or Cape Breton North Victoria District
Archibald Livingston age 65
Mary age 63
Jessie F. age 23
Margaret age 21
Lachlan age 17