Sarah "Sally" Livingstone and John Carmichael of Sparta, Il.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Sarah "Sally" Livingstone and John Carmichael of Sparta, Il.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi all,
Across from the Morvern mainland is the scenic and historic island of Lismore where Baron Livingstone's ancestors and kin have lived for centuries.

I was interested to learn that yet another Lismore Island, Argyll Livingston of Bachuil Livingston origin had settled in mid 1800's in the Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois area where Coll Livingston (1832-1900) as previously mentioned was also living. Sarah "Sally" Livingston a first cousin of Coll Livingston Jr. was born November 12, 1830 in Balemaclichen, Lismore, Argyll the daughter of Duncan Livingston and his wife Dorothy Livingston. Duncan born in 1788 was the youngest child of Baron John Livingstone 1746-1835 and his wife Sarah McLachlan.

Map of featuring both Balimackillichan and neighbouring Bachuil, Lismore
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74427359
OS Map 1871-72 published 1875 of part of Isle of Lismore including Balimackillichan where Sarah was born and where her father Duncan Livingston lived in the 1800's and neighbouring Bachuil
National Library of Scotland

His daughter Sarah married John Carmichael in 1848 in Greenock and apparently the couple firstly settled in Canada in 1852 where there first child was born by about 1854 in St.Thomas, Elgin County, Ontario Canada but a year or so later they ended up in the Sparta, Randolph County, of Illinois where Coll Livingston and some of his Bachuil Livingston cousins had earlier settled. Sarah Livingston (Mrs John Carmichael was also a first cousin of Coll Livingston (1832-1900) who was a son of Baron Coll Livingstone and his wife Mary Carmichael of Bachuil, Island of Lismore, Argyllshire. Sarah Livingstone (Mrs. John Carmichael) was interestingly the daughter of Duncan Livingstone a farmer of Balemaclichen, Lismore, a brother Coll Livingston's father Baron Coll Livingston (1773-1842) Sarah's father Duncan lived to be an old man in Lismore and was apparently the last surviving child of Baron John Livingstone and his wife Sarah McLachlan dying in the year 1879. While Sarah and her husband John Carmichael also from Lismore only lived in the Sparta, Illinois area for a few decades before moving elsewhere in the States, I find very interesting that all of these Bachuil Livingston kin,first cousins and grandchildren of Baron John Livingstone of Bachuil Lismore b.1746 and his wife Sarah McLachlan settled in the Sparta area of the Randolph County, Illinois in the mid 1800's.

Lismore Parish records state that Sarah Livingstone was born or baptized on Nov. 6, 1829 which conflicts somewhat with the November 12, 1830 date but regardless what is important is that Sarah listed as a child of Duncan Livingstone and his wife Dorothy Livingstone of Ballimachillican, Lismore. Sarah was likely named after her grandmother Sarah McLachlan wife of Baron John Livingstone 1746-1835.These parish records list the children of Duncan Livingstone and Dorothy Livingstone as being Adam b. Feb.6, 1826, John b. Dec. 10, 1827, Sarah b. Nov. 6, 1829, Bell 16, Nov. 1831 Census info from 1841 from Lismore I think also confirms this 1830 or 1829 date I think and the above mentioned family at Ballimachillican, Lismore. Sarah only appears in one census in Lismore, Argyll the 1841 Census which lists here as Sally age 11 residing in Balemaclichen, Lismore with her parents and older brother John age 13 and younger sister Bel (Belle) age 9

Sarah Livingstone married John Carmichael (1822-1884) son of Dougald Carmichael of Lismore on May 8, 1848 in Greenock Parish. Perhaps their original intention was to settle in Canada where they briefly lived for a couple of years after arriving in the year 1852. Their first child was apparently born in 1854 in St. Thomas, Elgin County Ontario, Canada. Elgin County in the mid 1800's had a significant population of Scottish settlers at that time. Their later U.S Census records confirm that their first child was born in Canada abt. 1854 .About a yearlater they ended up in Randolph County, Illinois in the Sparta Area where Lachlan, then his brothers John and Alexander and finally in 1857 their cousin Coll Livington was to settle at. John Carmichael and his wife Sarah Carmichael (Sarah Livingstone) appear in Randolph County, Illinois living in the Sparta post office area and are recorded in both the 1860 and 1870 Census records. John Carmichael is also record in the 1865 Illinois State census as a resident of Sparta as is his wife Sarah's first cousin Coll Livingstone recorded by mistake as "Collin" Livingstone. Not to be confuse with Collin Livingstone of Bachuil Livingstone who oddly enough was an actual brother of Coll Livingstone back in Bachuil.

Known Children of Sarah Livingston and John Carmichael of Lismore, Argyll
1. John Livingston Carmichael b. 1848 died 1921
2. Mary Carmichael b. Sept. 7,1854 St. Thomas, Elgin County, Ontario d. Nov. 8, 1941 Plainville, Rooks County, Kansas M. Oct. 29, 1874 Oakdale Washington County, Illinois USA Dougald Carmichael b. June 14, 1848 Lismore, Argyll d. Nov. 2, 1914 Plainville, Rooks County, Kansas
3. Dora Carmichael McCauley b. 1858 d. 1932
4. Sarah Belle Carmichael McCLurken 1863-1932
5. Christina Carmichael Robinson b. 1870 d.1932
6. Charles Carmichael born abt. 1873

By the 1880 Census John Carmichael farmer age 59 and his wife and Sarah Carmichael age 53 are residing on a farm in Elkton Washington County, Illinois with their youngest children C. age 14, Christianna age 10 and Charley age 7. Sarah's husband John Carmichael was born April 9, 1822 in Lismore, Argyll, Scotland and died Nov. 29 1884 in Swank Perry County, Illinois. Later Sarah ended up before 1910 living with her son Charley and his family in Rooks County Kansas where she died May 7, 1920. at Vassar, Ossage County, Kansas.

Sarah Livingstone's parents Duncan Livingstone and Dorothy Livingstone are recorded in the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census records residing in Balemachlichen, Lismore though the spelling in the original census record documents apparently made locating them a bit of a challenge, but eventually I did. Duncan Livingstone her father died August 14, 1879. More on that 1879 information in a later update of this information. Interestingly Sarah's brother John Livingston married a Mary Carmichael another apparent Lismore Carmichael family connection in this Livingstone family. In Duncan and Dorothy Livington's last census at Bailemachlichen, Lismore in 1871 we can see the Carmichael family connection once again.

Last Argyll, Scotland Census that Sarah Livington's (Mrs John Carmichael's) father is recorded in before his death in 1879.
1871 Scottish Census "Balimackillichan, Lismore, Argyll
Duncan Livingston age 83
Dorothy Livingston age 64
John Livingston age 43
Mary Carmichael age 29 (John's wife)
Duncan Livingston age 7
Jane Livingston age 5
Sarah Livingston age 3
Adam Livingston age 1

Sarah's father Duncan Livingston of" Balimackillichan, Lismore last living son of Baron John Livingstone 1746-1835 died on August 24, 1879.
The spelling is all over the place for this settlement or farm on the Island of Lismore where Sarah Livingstone was born in 1830 and where father Duncan Livingstone and Sarah's family lived in the 1800's but according to an 1871-1872 OS Map it is spelled Balimackillichan and was next to Bachuil where Baron John Livingstone's and his son Coll Livingstone's family and kin lived in the 1800's. So it stands to reason that LIvingstons at neighbouring Balimackillichan would likely be related to Baron John Livingstone and his son Baron Coll Livingstone of Bachuil. The fact also that Sarah settled in Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois in the mid 1800's as some neighbouring Livingstones of the Bachuil Livingstons also lends some credibility to the notion that Sarah's father Duncan was connected to and related to the Bachuil Livingtons but I am hoping that Sarah's father;s death record from 1879 as I mentioned can help to verify that he was infact a son of Baron John Livingstone of Bachuil, Lismore. More on this hopefully early next week.

Sarah Livingstone born March 12 1830 in Lismore Parish, Argyll died Nov 7, 1920 Vassar, Ossage County Kansas.
Sara Livingstone (Mrs John Carmichael's) grave Plainville, Plainville Cemetery, Rooks County, Kansas
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 0&ref=acom

regards,

Donald
AndreaL

Re: Sarah "Sally" Livingstone and John Carmichael of Sparta,

Post by AndreaL »

Hello,
I just wanted to thank you for sharing all of this information. John Carmichael and Sarah Livingston were my 4th Great Grandparents. I have been try to do more extensive research on my ancestors, and it can be a bit confusing at times. Your post has helped to confirm/ make clear some of the information I found. Thanks again,
Andrea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum.

Yes it can be quite confusing the main reason being the number of Bachuil Livingstons cousins that settled in the Sparta area.

There was something in particular about the Bachuil Livingstones that settled at Sparta that really puzzled me for the longest time. The one thing that I did not know originally and later discovered was Coll Livingston Jr. son of Baron Coll Livingston Sr. married his first cousin Alexander Levingston's wife after Alexander died in the 1850's in Sparta. Coll became step father to a couple of kids that were Alexander's children and Coll and Alexander's widow subsequently had a large family of their own children in Sparta. I am quite certain that is likely to cause much confusion amongst those researching the family of Alexander Livingston and his first Cousin Coll Jr. who married Alexander Livingston's widow following his death in the 1850's. Hopefully my info on this remarriage of Alexander's widow to his first Cousin Coll Livingston Jr. son of Baron Coll Livingston 1786-1842 will prove to be helpful for descendants of both Alexander and his cousin Coll Livingston. But yes that in particular and I found very confusing in the beginning until I sorted it all out.

I was hoping that some of (Mrs John Carmichael of Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois) Sarah Livingston's descendants in the States would see that posting. I had researched the other Bachuil Lismore Livingstons that settled in the sparta area and the youngest son of Baron Coll Livingston Sr.that settled at Port Edward, Sarnia Township, Lambton County, Ontario Canada in the 1800's, but only recently learned that Sarah Livingston (Mrs John Carmichael) interestingly a daughter of Duncan Livingston a brother of Baron Coll Livingston had also settled near her Bachuil Livingston cousins in Illinois.

You would be a fourth cousin or something like that of our current Clan Chief Baron Niall Livingstone of Bachuil, Island of Lismore. If you have not already you should go to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society website where you can learn more about the origins and interesting history of the Bachuil Livingstones and your kin and ancestors. You and your Livingston relatives are indeed descended from the Barons of Bachuil, Lismore who have lived for centuries on the Isle of Lismore.

I realized that who was related to who in Sparta of the original Bachuil Livingstones that settled there in the 1800's could be confusing so I tried to carefully sort out and explain who were brothers and who were first cousins from the Bachuil LIvingstones that originally settled there back then. Sarah Livingston (Mrs John Carmichael I only discovered recently) and was quite interested to find another Livingston of Bachuil origin in the Sparta area. I think I found them all the original Bachuil Livingstones that settled in the Sparta area.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

regards,

Donald
AndreaL

Post by AndreaL »

Thank you so much! I find all of this amazing. I have always had a fondness of Scotland, and learning that my ancestors had more of a Scotland connection than I originally thought, is astounding. I live in Southern Illinois, so I am hoping to find more information about the cousins and other family, from local sources, maybe old newspapers and such. I can say their son John Livingston Carmichael married Louisa Gregory, John and Louisa had a daughter Mary Ellen, she married Frank Weinhoffer, and from them my great grandmother Imogen was born.
Another area where I am a bit confused is Dorothy and Duncan, Sarah Livingston's parents. In my search I found a Dorothy whose parents were Livingstons, father possibly Duncan. As her husband is also named Duncan Livingston, this was a bit confusing, and I'm not sure if this is correct, and what the relationship to one another was. If you have any information it would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Andrea
AndreaL

Post by AndreaL »

Also, thank you for clearing up the information on Coll Livingston Jr., Sr., and Alexander. I had many notes I was trying to put together, and it was a great puzzle. Now I understand. I am sure it must have taken quite some time and searching to put it together (well, it would have for me :) )and I appreciate you sharing that information.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrea,

Yes eventually I figured out that Alexander Livingston's widow Margaret Graham (Margaret Livingston) nee Graham married Alexander's first cousin Coll Livingston Jr. following death of her husband Alexander Livingston who was the son of Baron Coll Livingston's younger brother Alexander Livingston and Dorothy "Dot" McGlashan of Bachuil, Lismore. Sparta settler Alexander Livingston and later Sparta settler Coll Livingston jr. would have been first cousins of your ancestor Sarah Livingston. I only recently realized that that a Sarah Livingston and her husband John Carmichael had settled in Sparta, Illinois and that Sarah Livingston was related to the Bachuil Livingstons that I knew had settled there. So this has been a recent learning experience for me.

I could not find a birth or baptismal record for your ancestor Dorothy Livingstone or Livingston born abt. 1806 or 1807 wife of Duncan Livingstone or Livingston of Lismore, Argyll. I found a Dorothy Livingston born 1795 in Ardnaclach, Appin but that probably is not not her.

Your ancestor Sarah Livingston appears in the 1841 Census residing with her parents Duncan Livingston and Dorothy "Sally" Livingston at the Balemachilichan, Lismore near Bachuil where the Baron of Bachuil at the Baron Coll Livingstone, Duncan's brother lived. With Sarah was also her two siblings John and Bell (Isabella). There are some errors and nicknames but this is the family of your ancestor Sarah Livington and where they were located circa 1841 on the Isle of Lismore in Argyll, Scotland. I have copied it as it appears via ancestry.com and corrected to make things clearer.
1841 Census Balemachilichan, Lismore, Argyll, Scotland Near Bachuil
Dan Livingston age 50 (Duncan Livingston)
Sally Livingston age 50 (Dorothy Livingston)
John Livingston age 13
Sally Livingston age 11 (Sarah Livingston)
Bell Livingston age 9 (Isabella "Bell" Livingston

regards,

Donald
AndreaL

Post by AndreaL »

Thanks again for your help. I think I just got names mixed up as I was making notes on Dorothy and Duncan. I was going back and forth trying to figure out the source I used for Dorothy, and that's when I realized it wasn't adding up. I'm grateful for your help in sorting it out!