Angus Livingston and Agnes Mctaggart Lambton County, Ontario

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Angus Livingston and Agnes Mctaggart Lambton County, Ontario

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

Another Appin, Argyll Livingston that ended up living in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario was Angus Livingston born Nov. 16, 1818 in Port Appin, Appin Parish, Argyll son of Peter Livingston of Port Appin Master Shoemaker and his wife Flora McColl. In the 1841 Scottish Census Angus is residing at Port Appin with his parents and his other siblings. Like his father Peter Livingston Sr, Angus is recorded as being a shoemaker apparently working with his father at that trade. A passenger list of the Adam Carr indicates that an Angus Livingston age 30 arrived Aug. 17, 1849 in New York with his sister Catharine age 26 along with other Appin Livingston related folk who later settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario . Other passengers aboard this ship included Margaret McCallum Livingston and her daughter Mary McGregor also of Appin, Argyll who also later settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario.

Angus Livingston appears then to have first arrived in New York in 1849 after sailing from the Port of Glasgow, and then settled in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County, Canada West (later known as Ontario, Canada). Soon after arriving in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County, Angus Livingston married Agnes Nancy (Ann) Mctaggart on January or June 18, 1851. The 1851/1852 Census for Canada West records Angus Livingston Shoemaker age 34 and his wife "Ann" age 26 both born in Scotland. This is undoubtingly the Port Appin shoemaker and son of Peter Livingston Sr. of Port Appin, Argyll recorded in the 1841 Scottish Census.
residing in Ekfrid Township. Later in the 1860's Angus his wife Agnes Nancy (Ann) and their family move to Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario. There were other Appin folks living in Plympton Township and indeed a village there was named Appin by one settler who came from Appin, Argyll.The 1871 Canadian Census records Angus Livingston age 52, his wife Agnes age 45, Mary age 19, Peter age 16, Flora age 14, Donald age 12, Catharine age 10, Duncan age 8, Angus age 5, Elizabeth age 2

Known Family of Angus Livingston and Agnes Nancy (Ann) McTaggart born in Ontario, Canada
1. Mary Livingston b. Dec. 7, 1851 in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County, Canada West (Ontario, Canada) died 1929
2. Peter Livingston b.Oct. 17,1853 in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County, Canada West (Ontario, Canada) died 1918
3. Flora Livingston b. July 27, 1856 in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County, Canada West (Ontario, Canada) d. 1940m. George Dennis
4. Donald Mctaggart Livingston b. Aug 22, 1858 in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County, Canada West (Ontario, Canada) d. 1930
5. Catharine Livingston b. Oct.17, 1860 Ekfrid Township, Lambton County, Ontario d. 1941 m. Joseph Rostock
6. Duncan Livingston b. July 24,1863 Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario d.1931
7. Angus Livingston b. July 4, 1866 or March 6,1866 Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario d. May 15, 1907 Brant, Ontario
8. Elizabeth Livingston b. March 9, 1868 Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario d.1943

Angus Livingston died May 28, 1891 in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario (Near Wyoming, Ontario)
Agnes Livingston died Nov. 15, 1890 in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario
mickstone

Re: Angus Livingston and Agnes Mctaggart Lambton County, Ont

Post by mickstone »

Peter Livingstone from Port Appin spouse Flora McColl children Angus, Peter, Catherine, Flora, Donald. Angus is my ancestor I did not know the name of vessel he came to Canada in and now I do Thank you. Angus sister Catherine is 2 yrs younger than Angus. There is no indication that Angus was married to Catherine. family bible makes no mention of a wife other than Agnes Nancy McTaggart. There is mention of sister Catherine immigrating to Canada with Angus. The close proximity of Island of Lismore, Port Appin and Oban could indicate that Angus knew the Mctaggarts. Angus parents Duncan Livingstone and Catherine McNicoll. Duncan parents Malcolm Livingstone and Kate McArthur Angus set up his shoemaker business at the McTaggart property upon arriving near what is now known as Melbourne in Ontario. DNA testing indicates related to Bachuil
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Mick,

Yes that makes more sense then. Angus did have a sister Catharine back in Port Appin. Must be her that came to Canada with Angus. Thanks for pointing that out and have updated this information. I kinda hastily put the Lambton County Livingston info together showing how a number of Livingstons from different parts of Western Argyllshire, Scotland, Lismore, Appin and neighbouring Morvern, Argyll ended upon in Lambton County, Ontario by the mid 1800's. Obviously there must have been some effort to settle highland Argyll Scots in Lambton County in the 1850's. On that boat in 1849 with your ancestor Angus Livingston was a widow Margaret McCallum Livingston widow of Duncan Livingston. Margaret's daughter Elizabeth Harriet Livingston who married another John Livingston of Appin, Argyll came to Canada sometime between 1847 and 1851 and settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County. The mother travelled to Canada with the McGregors and lived with them also in Plympton Township. I think Mrs McGregor who she lived with in Plympton Township, Lambton County was one of Margaret McCallum Livingston's daughters possibly. John Livingston of Coelard near Port Appin and Ardnaclach, Appin and his wife Elizabeth Harriet Livingston, Margaret's daughter were not on that ship in 1849 apparently arriving on another vessel. Margaret's daughter Elizabeth Harriet Livingston and her husband John Livingston of Ardnaclach, Appin also settled in Plympton Township. So with Elizabeths mother travelling with the McGregors on the same boat as your ancestor Angus Livingston and then all of them settling in Plympton Township there could be a family connection back in Appin but I don't really know about that. In any event it is interesting to have learned recently from passenger list that Elizabeth Harriet Livingston's mother Margaret was the on same boat as your ancestor Angus. That was news to me. I was contacted by another descendant of Angus Livingston several years ago, but only recently did I notice that there was a surviving 1849 passenger list with Angus Livingston so I was happy to learn that document existed. Most passenger lists from that period have not survived.

Angus was the son of Peter Livingston Sr. Master Shoemaker of Port Appin. In the 1840's as a young man Angus worked with the father in Port Appin as a shoe maker according to the 1841 Scottish Census. The father Peter Livingston Sr. who was born in 1796 in Port Appin and baptized April 17, 1796 according to the Lismore and Appin Parish records was actually the son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNicol. Our Clan Web Parish records indicate that his parents were Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab but that was an old information and I did point out several years ago that it probably should be McNicol. While the original parish entry is very difficult to read myself and others I think are now of the opinion that Duncan Livingston was married to a Catharine McNicol of the old Appin and Lismore McNicol family in the area. I am pretty certain that Peter the Port Appin Shoemaker 's mother was "McNicol".

Yes indeed the DNA testing of a descendant of this Port Appin family several years ago indicated that Angus and likely other Livingston families in Appin shared common ancestry with the Bachuil Livingstones in neighbouring Lismore.
Thank-you for sharing your own detailed information on your Livingston ancestor. Are there any photos of your ancestor Angus Livingston and his wife that still exist today or photos of their cemetery stones?

My great-great uncle John Livingston 1818-1895 settled in Bosanquet Township, Lambton County in the 1850's. He was son of Miles Livingston and Jannette Livingston both Livingstons natives of Morvern Parish adjacent to Lismore and Appin in Western Argyllshire, not apparently related to these Appin and Lismore Livingstons that lived in Plympton and at Point Edward in Sarnia Township, Lambton County. There is however some conflicting Lismore Parish information that John's father Miles or Myles Livingston born abt. 1775 lived at Cloichlea on the Isle of Lismore the son of Donald Livingstone and his wife Christian Campbell of CLoichlea, Lismore. The record in the early 1800's in Canada confirm that my ancestor Miles Livingston was indeed born abt. 1775. DNA testing of a Livingston descendant of old Miles however confirms that his descendant is very close match with other three other Livingston descendants of Livingstons with documentation linking them to Morvern Livingston ancestors from the 1700's. Sometimes family history research leaves one with mysteries that regrettably cannot be solved.

regards,

Donald
mickstone

Post by mickstone »

yes sorry Angus parents Peter and Flora grand parents Duncan and Catherine great grand parents Malcolm and Kate

I will check there is a pic of them some where
Canadian Livingstone

Here is more information on the Plympton County Livingstons and the Margaret McCallum family connection from 2016.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All

Peter Livingston son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNicol of Port Appin, Argyll was baptized April, 17th 1796 according to old Lismore and Appin Parish Church of Scotland book. Peter also had a brother Donald Livingston was born at Tayinlachan? Appin baptized Nov. 6, 1793 I see a date also of Feb. 19, 1786 for a Dugald Livingston but can't find in the old Appin and Lismore Parish records. I am however suspecting as I think others are suggesting that Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNicol had a son Dugald who was the husband o the Margaret McCallum. That could very well be. The 1841 Census of Appin the last one which includes old Dugald Livingston and his wife Margaret McCallum before Malcolm's death suggests from his age at the time of the census that he was born abt. 1786. It would make sense that Margaret's husband might be an older brother of Port Appin shoemaker Peter Livingston Sr. whose son Angus Livingston also settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario as did Dugald's widow Margaret McCallum. It seems to much of a coincidence that so many Appin folk settled in this rural community in Canada.

Peter Livingston and Flory McColl at Port Appin, Argyll in Lismore and Appin Parish were married Dec. 21, 1817.

Children of Peter Livingston Sr. shoemaker and Flory McColl of Port Appin, Argyll
1. Angus Livingston b. Nov. 16, 1818 at Port Appin, Argyll settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario m. Agnes Nancy Mactaggart on January 28, 1851 in Ontario, Canada
2. Peter Livingston Jr. b. Nov 13, 1822 at Tarintesgin.?Argyll baptized Nov 14, 1822
3. Catharine Livingston b. Sept 6, 1824 at Tarintesgin?, Argyll baptized Sept. 8, 1824
4. Mary Livingston b. Nov. 29, 1826 at Port Appin, Argyll baptized Dec. 3, 1826
5. Flora Livingston b. March 2, 1831 at Port Appin, Argyll baptized March 6, 1831
6. Donald Livingston b. Jan. 12, 1832 at Port Appin, Argyll baptized January 15,1832
7. John Livingston b. Jan. 1, 1837 at Port Appin, Argyll baptized January 28, 1837
8. Ann Livingston b. Feb. 2, 1839 at Port Appin, Argyll baptized Feb. 9, 1839

DNA testing of a descendant of one of the sons of Peter Livingston and Flory McColl has proven this Port Appin Livingston family group to be ancestrally connected in some way to the ancient Bachuil Livingstone family group originating from the neighbouring Isle of Lismore.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,
Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum of Appin, Argyll
As mentioned in earlier postings Peter Livingston Sr. and Flora (Flory) McColl's son Angus Livington left Port Appin, Argyll in 1849 and travelled aboard a ship that included a widow Margaret McCallum wife of Dugald Livingston of Old Miln, Appin. I am wondering if the two families were related.

I found a marriage record which states John Livingston of Appin married Margaret McCallum of Kilbride Parish on March 21, 1802 I think family researchers may have determined that this should be Dugald Livingston and they are probably correct as the subsequent Appin baptism records all refer to Margaret (Peggy) McCallum's husband as Dugald Livington of Old Miln in Appin.

1. Betty Livingston baptized Nov 11, 1803

2. Mary Livingston baptized Aug. 12, 1805 ?

3. Donald Livingston of Old Miln, Appin baptized June 02, 1807

4. Margaret Livingston baptized Sept 12, 1810

5. Mary Livingston baptized Sept. 16,1812 ?

6. John Livingston baptized Sept. 17, 1814

7. Duncan Livingston of Old Miln, Appin baptized Nov. 18, 1816

8. Jean Livingston baptized Nov 27, 1818

As mentioned earlier:
Another Appin, Argyll Livingston that ended up living in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario was Angus Livingston born Nov. 16, 1818 in Port Appin, Appin Parish, Argyll son of Peter Livingston of Port Appin Master Shoemaker and his wife Flora McColl. In the 1841 Scottish Census Angus is residing at Port Appin with his parents and his other siblings. Like his father Peter Livingston Sr, Angus is recorded as being a shoemaker apparently working with his father at that trade. A passenger list of the Adam Carr indicates that an Angus Livingston age 30 arrived Aug. 17, 1849 in New York with his sister Catharine age 26 along with other Appin Livingston related folk who later settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario . Other passengers aboard this ship interestingly included Margaret McCallum Livingston and her daughter Mary McGregor also of Appin, Argyll who also later settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI All,
Elizabeth (Betty Harriet Livingston daughter of Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum married John Livingston Jr. of Coalard, Appin in 1829 son of John Livingston Sr of Coelard, Appin near Port Appin, Argyll and his wife Christine (Christy) Graham.
A John Livingston born abt. 1804 or 1805 in Appin Scotland is listed with is wife Elizabeth (Betty) Livingston b. abt 1805 and his son Duncan Livingston age 19 and daughter Mary age 14 also both born in Scotland in the 1861 Canada West Census for Plympton Township, Lambton County. The Appin parish records seem list most of this family when they lived in Appin. Both John Livingston and his wife Betty were Livingstons from Appin Parish. John Livingston at the time of his marriage on July 26, 1829 in Appin Parish to Elizabeth (Betty) Livingston was residing at place called Coelard near Port Appin in Appin Parish where his parents John Livingston Sr. and Christy Graham resided. Found the Births and Baptism info for most of their family

1. Christy Livington b. July 6, 1831 Coelard, Appin baptized July i, 1831 (Coelard is near Port Appin)

2. Donald Livingston b. June 15, 1835 Coelard, Appin baptized June 18, 1835

3. Margaret Livingston b. May 1st 1839 Coelard, Appin baptized May 7 1839

4. Duncan Livingston b. Nov 23, 1841 Ardnaclach Appin baptized Nov. 28, 1841 m. Margaret Lithgow d. July 3, 1897 Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada

5. Mary Livingston b. abt. 1846 in Appin

Donald Livingston b. June 15, 1835 m. Ellen Vivian in Lambton County in May 28, 1861 and died in Dec. 31, 1881 in Forest, Lambton County, Ontario His wife Ellen Vivian was born 1844 and died May 9, 1909 in Forest, Lambton County, Ontario
1. Margaret Maggie Livington b. 1861 Arthur, Wellington County Ontario d. 1946

2. Jack Donald Livingston b. May 9, 1864 Forest, Lambton County, Ontario d. Nov 29,1931 Forest, Lambton County, Ontario m. Nov. 16, 1898 Margaret Maria Hindley b. Aug. 6, 1874 Owen Sound d. 1952 Forest, Lambton County, Ontario

According to the Appin Parish records, John Livingston Sr. (born abt. 1766 according to 1841 Scottish Census) and his wife Christy Graham resided at Coalard Appin in the early 1800's where son John Livingston Jr. was born or baptized March 25, 1804 and son Duncan Livingston was born or baptized October 30, 1806

The son John Livingston Jr. married Elizabeth Harriet Livingston born 1803 of Old Miln, Appin, Argyll daughter of Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum of Old Miln, Appin. John Livingston Jr. and his wife Elizabeth Harriet Livingston's daughter Christy was born or baptized June 06 1831 at Coelard, a son Donald (Daniel) Livingston was born or baptized June 15, 1835 at Coalard, a daughter Margaret Livingston was born or baptized at Coalard and a son Duncan Livingston was born or baptized Nov.3,1841 at Archaclach or Ardnaclach, Appin, Argyll

In the 1841 Scottish Census states that John Livingston Sr. born abt. 1766 age 75 a Tailor by occupation apparently formerly of Collard and now a widower is residing at Ardnaclach with his son John Livingston jr, age 35 also a Tailor, his wife Elizabeth and their daughter Christy age 5, Donald age 4, and Margaret age 2 (A son Duncan b. 1841 is born after the 1841 Census was conducted that year.) A daughter Mary was later born in 1847 before the family of John Livingston Jr. left for Canada. First child named Christy presumingly after John Livington Sr's wife Christy of Coelard. Not known when mother Christy or father John Livingston Sr. died presumingly in Ardnaclach, Appin.

Sometime between the year 1847 and 1851 John Livingstone jr, his wife Elizabeth Harriet Livingston of Ardnaclach, Appin and their children likely left Appin, Argyll and settled eventually in Plympton Township, Lambton County in what is in present day Ontario, Canada.

i]Margaret (McCallum) Livingston widow of Dugald Livingston of Old Miln, Appin Argyll also came to Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario in the 1850's after her husband's death where her youngest daughter Elizabeth Harriet Livingston had settled with her husband John Livingston Jr. of Coelard and later Ardnaclach, Appin. Margaret McCallum Livingston died in 1867 in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario.

Margaret McCallum and her husband Dugald Livingston appear together in the 1841 Scottish census residing at Old Miln, Appin, Argyll. Margaret and Dugald Livingston are both recorded in 1841 as being age 55 or born about 1786. Other researchers however have suggested other birth dates for Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum of Old MIln, Appin, Argyll. Dugald died sometime between the years 1841 and 1849.

regards,

Donald