Alexander Livingston of Argyll, Scotland 1849 Australia

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Alexander Livingston of Argyll, Scotland 1849 Australia

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

I found this interesting. Alexander Livingston age given 30, born abt. 1819? occupation Shepherd a native of Argyllshire son of Angus and Nancy Livingston according to details included on the list, arrived in Australia aboard the vessel Maria Somes on July 19, 1849 apparently on his own. What is odd is that there is another passenger list that is dated July 6, 1852 and it appears the same Alexander Livingston listed again at age of about 30 and from that it was deduced that this Alexander Livingston was born abt. 1822 and travelling aboard the the same vessel Maria Somes. Additional info I found indicates that he actually married in 1849 in Dumbarton, Scotland to an Isabella McLachlan and they both died in Australia. I did not however find her listed on the 1849 passenger list and the 1852 list records him as being single. Some Passenger lists include Argyllshire Livingstons in the mid 1800's and later that arrived in North America and Australia, but many unfortunately many have not survived or have not been located. Recently though there were a couple of passenger lists found for Argyllshire Livingstons that settled in North America including an Appin, Argyll Livingston family that I had been researching that proved to be helpful.

Alexander Livingston appears to be the Alexander Livingston of Glenmore, Ardnamurchan son of Angus Livingston and his Ann (Nancy) Cameron actually baptized Feb. 20, 1815. Another list that a descendant of Alexander's brother Hugh had a list that referred to Hugh as being born in 1819. In any event I am certain this Alexander is an Uncle of Hugh Livingston Jr. who settled in Australia in 1879 who was a grandson of Angus Livingston and Ann (Nancy) Cameron of Glenmore, Ardnamurchan. The age 30 is likely just an approximate age recorded at the time of passage and off by a few years. This family of Angus Livingston and Ann (Nancy) Cameron has a known Australian family connection because their son Hugh had a son Hugh who settled in Australia in 1879. Hugh's descendant has been in contact with the forum and shared his family history with us in the past and roots and family history connecting him to Ardnamurchan, Argyll and Australia. This Alexander Livington who settled in Australia in 1849 is probably a relative of his ancestor who came to Australia years later and who also kin to Angus Livingston and Ann (Nancy) Cameron. The other interesting thing is that Alexander's younger brother Hugh Livingston was also a shepherd by occupation and lived at Glenmore, Ardnamurchan. It was Hugh' s son Hugh born abt. 1854 if I understand correctly that went to Australia in 1879. Alexander is not living at home at Glenmore, Ardnamurchan in the 1841 Census before he left for Australia in 1849.

One other clue that I have that this is Alexander is the son of Angus Livingston of Glenmore, Ardnamurchan Argyll and Ann (Nancy) Cameron is that it states in the 1849 Passenger list info for Alexander Livingston that in regards to his parents only his mother is living in Argyll which would have been the case because he father was an elderly man when the 1841 Census recorded him and by 1851 Census only the mother Ann is living according to that census.

regards,

Donald