Ann Livingstone/Wm. Stewart

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Ann Livingstone/Wm. Stewart

Post by jmlivingstone »

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... db=pre1846

http://www.oldscottish.com/old-kilpatrick.html

The last link above contains info on Wm. Stewart, under Male Heads of Families, 1834, he is listed as a cooper, resident Kilpatrick, 1835 resident at Dalnotter & 1837 again at Kilpatrick.

Scotlands People has Robert born 08.05.1846 (FR1006) at Old or West Kilpatrick (ref. 40353).

I can actually see Old Kilpatrick from hills just behind my house, in a straight line it's probably less than 10 miles away.

I've moved this to a new topic to save any confusion,

John

Re: Dr. Livingstone
Postby kiltedkiwi » Feb 8th, '17, 21:17

Does anyone know the paternal grand uncles and aunts of the explorer David Livingstone?
My great great great grandmother was Ann Livingstone, said to be the daughter of a soldier who died in the French wars while her mother was pregnant with her or shortly after she was born. I am trying to find a connection because it has been passed down through our generations that Ann was in somewhat related to the explorer.
Ann married a William Stewart at Old Kilpatrick in 1834. William had a cooperage there.. Their son Robert Stewart was my great grand father.
kiltedkiwi

Re: Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es
Postby Canadian Livingstone » Feb 10th, '17, 02:56

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum.

Dr. Livingstone's grandparents were Neil Livingston Sr. and Mary Morrison who were married in 1774 in Lettermore, Mull, but they were there for a only a few years and eventually moved on to the Isle of Ulva by the late 1770's apparently and then in 1792 Neil Sr. and family went to lowland Lanarkshire and to Blantyre. No information from either Dr. Livingstone or his family as to the names of his Livingston grandfather's siblings or who Neil Livingston Senior's parents were. Neil Livingston Sr. was thought to have born sometime in the 1740's prior to 1746 probably as Dr. Livingstone stated his grandfather Livingston's father (unnamed) died at the Battle of Culloden which took place in April of 1746. There does not seem to be a surviving birth or baptism record for Dr. Livingstone's grandfather the could identify the parents and indicate perhaps who his siblings were in the 18th century. Regrettably Dr. Livingstone himself did not provide much info in way of detailed family history that identified his grandfather's family members which would have most helpful given the interest of so many Livingstons worldwide in trying to determine if they are related to famous missionary, doctor and explorer.

regards,

Donald
kiltedkiwi

Re: Ann Livingstone/Wm. Stewart

Post by kiltedkiwi »

I have actually been to Old Kilpatrick. Its in Dunbartonshire and easily reached there by bus from Glasgow. The connection between the explorer and Ann Livingstone is one which has baffled our family historians. My great grand father named his oldest son William Livingstone Stewart and as he had a pattern of naming his children after family members it had me thinking that maybe there was a William Livingstone in our family. I know there was a couple of William Livingstone's who died in the French wars around 1815 but I cannot find info about their families.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

1841 Census Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire

William Stewart age 25 Cooper
Ann Stewart age 20
John Stewart age 2

Did not see them in Old Kilpatrick in the 1851 Census

Without info on Ann Livingston's parents from her birth or baptism record it is difficult to be certain who her parents were and what her father's first name was. Based on the census info it looks like she was born abt. 1821 or 1820 possibly. If Ann died in Scotland after 1854 her death entry would likely include the names of her parents. If she died in Australia it probably would as well. I am not certain if she died in New Zealand whether the name of the parents were included in the death record of the deceased as I not familiar with 19th century New Zealand death records. I knew about the Australian death records because I researching a Livingston who died in the 1860's in Australia and was looking to verify of her parents to confirm she was from a 19th century Argyll Livingston family I was researching and these records included the names of her Scottish parents. But I am guessing that either you can't find your Livingston ancestor's death record or the death record does not include the names of her parents. She was married in 1834 too early for the Scottish records to include the names of her parents in a Church of Scotland marriage entry regrettably.

William and Ann's marriage entry states that they were married May 23 1834 in New or East Kilpatrick Parish rather than Old Kilpatrick Parish where they subsequently resided and it is noted in the entry that both William Stewart and his wife Ann Livingston at the time of their marriage of 1834 of New or East Kilpatrick Parish. It may be then that Ann's parents and her family lived in New or East Kilpatrick at the time of their 1834 marriage, but that is just a guess. There are few Livingston families in the 1841 Census residing in Old Kilpatrick but I could not find Census info for East Kilpatrick for the 1841 Census for Livingstons. And could not find a birth record for an Ann Livingston that was born in either Old Kilpatrick or East Kilpatrick born circa 1820 or 1821 or a year here or there before or thereafter.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Things are bit more clear to me now. Ann Livingston died apparently at some point of time following the birth of a child in January 1845 before the 1851 Scottish census in Old Kilpatrick presumingly which is why I could not find her. William Stewart appears in the 1851 with his second wife Mary (McArthur) whom he apparently married in 1849 still residing in Old Kilpatrick and employed as a cooper. It is thought that his first wife Ann Livingston was born in Glasgow, but I don't see any documentation to back that information. Perhaps it was information that one of the families related to William and Ann was aware of. I don't really know. Ann might then be connected to a family that lived in the Glasgow area in the early 1800's. No death record for Ann unfortunately but it makes sense that she died around 1845 as there were no children born to her after that or in the period sometime between 1845 and 1849 when husband William remarried. Again some of the descendants may have some old family info with that 1845 date possibly. I could not find a record of her birth in New or Old Kilpatrick so the parish records connected to the nearby Glasgow area might be worth checking as well. Parents thought by some kin to be possibly John Livingston and Margaret Aitkenhead of Glasgow who married apparently in 1814 there and had one child a daughter Ann. No known connection to Dr. Livingstone's family that I am aware of.

So in the years that followed your ancestor William Stewart and Ann Livingston's son Robert born in 1842 in Old Kirkpatrick left Scotland went to Australia where he married in Brisbane, Australia Dec. 19, 1862 his wife Mary Cochran.

regards

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

The only Ann Stewart I can find, who died anywhere in Scotland between 1835-50, was a 32 year old, d. 16.04.1846, at Inveresk & Musselburgh, parish no. 689, ref. no. 200 243, given that her age could fit, this may be worth further investigation. Scotlands People have this info on record, although, given the year, it probably will not be particularly helpful,

John