Angus Livingston of Boularderie/Bras d'or, Cape Breton Quest

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingston of Boularderie/Bras d'or, Cape Breton Q

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

The 1779 list of Argyll Inhabitants is very helpful and invaluable as it shows us where Livingstone tenants and cottars were residing in the year 1779 in Mull and Morvern. The fact that there are no Livingstons residing in the Penmore and Airds area where Angus and his wife Christie McLucas were residing at the time of their marriage and till apparently they left to Cape Breton in 1819, I think backs the notion that Angus came from some other settlement in Mull. I am hoping that we can reestablish contact with some descendants as we did several years ago. Perhaps they will see our discussions.

I think the descendants of Angus Livingston in Cape Breton who are connected to the old Bras d'or, Boularderie, Cape Breton Angus Livingston family seem to going with 1773 and backing it up with his 1826 petition for additional land in Cape Breton where he states his age as 53, but that is the only proof I think they have for that. The late Roberta Livingston or Jewel Brown located I think the Angus Livingston info you mentioned born or baptized in the 1760's I seem to recall and it is quite interesting. And Angus definitely seems to have come from some other settlement other than Penmore and Airds, Mull though he was married there and his children were apparently born there. No Livingstons recorded in the 1779 list residing in "Pennymore and Airds". The 1779 Argyll list gives us a rare glimpse at the Livingston tenants and cottars that lived in Mull, Ross of Mull and Morvern which is useful to us being of Mull and neighbouring Morvern Parish, Livingston ancestry.

Yes I very much regret that we can't re-connect with Keith. I think we may be somehow related through our Livingston ancestry and he seems to be connected ancestrally to both Morvern and Mull branches somehow.

I have been spending a good bit of time over the last couple of years on the Morvern part of our Group and made significant progress in expanding the Livingstons of Morvern origins in our Group. The end result was the exciting discovery of two descendants of Ewen (Hugh) Livingston of Savary, Morvern a brother of Morvern Jacobite hero Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and that my Livingston cousin and I, also of Morvern ancestry are of a closely related Morvern Livingston family branch with that of Donald Livingstone Savary, Morvern branch. And of course we know know that this Morvern Livingston group is related to the various ancestral Western Argyllshire branches of the neighbouring Mull/Ross of Mull/ group and at a family that lived in neighbouring Ardnamurchan north of Morvern Parish.

Hope to get back to the Mull research we were doing as I would like to know more about them. The one advantage you have with the Mull Livingstons is that the parish records in many cases goes a far back as the 1760's but in Morvern the parish records do not begin until about 1803 or 1804. Sadly I don't have access to my Morvern Livingston's birth or baptismal records if they were before the early 1800's which is really limiting.

I have a couple of ideas regarding better identifying the Livingstons who lived in Mull as far back as the 1770's and their families. Kudos though to Mull Genealogy for doing that on a large scale for all of the old Mull families. I have difficult enough time with the LIvingstons but mine you we are probably the only ones doing a comprehensive study essentially of all LIlvingstones/Livingstons world wide. I think both the Forum and Mull Genealogy are of benefit to Livingston family researchers, each it their own way.

regards,

Donald