John Levingston and Katharine Cameron of Penmore, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

John Levingston and Katharine Cameron of Penmore, Mull

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Please note there was a family of John Levingston or Livingston and his wife Katharine or Catharine Cameron residing at Penmore, Mull in the late 1760's and early 1770's rather than a John Livingston and Catharine Campbell.
I noticed an earlier posting where you had John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Penmore being the parents of an Angus Livingston baptised circa 1769. Those parents were actually way back then in the 1760's and early 1770's at Penmore, Mull were named John Levingston or Livingston and Katharine or Catharine Cameron rather than Campbell. There may perhaps have been some confusion with the John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Mull who married in 1805 while living there and later continued to lived there until about 1821 when they left for Nova Scotia that I had been discussing as possible kin of Angus Livingston of Penmore, Mull who also arrived in the Nova Scotia area a few years earlier.

The original Kilninian Parish info I found on Scotlands people basically is similar to that which I notice also on the Mull Genealogy info with some minor differences and both include a daughter Florence baptized in 1771. The First name of the mother is missing but the last name is clearly Cameron and her husband is John Levingston of Penmore for the Florence Levingston entry and Mull Genealogy agrees with Florence being their daughter.

John Levingston and Katharine Cameron m. unknown 1760's? in Mull
known children through Baptism records Kilninian parish
1.John Levingston in Aird of Penmore and his wife Katharine Cameron his wife had their son Donald baptized July 18, 1768

2. John Levingston and his wife Katharine Cameron in Penmore his wife had their son Angus baptized at Ardreach? Oct.19, 1769

3. John Levingston in Ard of Penmore and his wife _________ Cameron had their lawful daughter Florence baptized at Ardreach? Nov. 5, 1771

4. John Levingston and Katharine Cameron his wife in Druimgigha? had their lawful son Donald baptized May 11, 1774

5. John Levingston and Catharine Cameron in Aryvelchine? (Arivolchoan) had their lawful daughter Mary baptized Nov. 12, 1776

6. John Levingston and Catharine Cameron in Sunipol had their lawful son Archibald baptized Dec. 30, 1779

Could not find the 1778 baptism of Archibald Livingston of Penmore in the Kilninian parish records when I did my search via Scotlands people. The 1779 Argyll list of tenants seems to confirm that John Levingston and Katharine Cameron and family likely left Penmore as indicated in the children's baptism records. THere may have been another son a John Livingston or Levingston that was born in the 1770's and not recorded who may the John Livingston who is later married in 1805 in Penmore and living in Penmore in the early 1800's in close proximity apparently to ANgus Livingston but there is no proof from that they were brothers and as stated no baptismal info surviving indicating there ever was another brother who was named John. Perhaps ANgus and John both of whom who lived at Penmore, MULl with their young families in the early 1800's and who both left Penmore for Nova Scotia in the early 1800's were cousins rather than brothers.

Some of the ANgus Livingston descendants and other Mull researchers have suggested that the Angus Livingston the former sailor of the Royal George during the Napoleonic Wars is the ANgus Livingston was baptized in 1769 and apparently born at Penmore, Mull to parents John Levingston and Katharine Cameron and that makes sense to me except for the problem that in ANgus Livingston 1826 petition for an additional grant of land in 1826 he states his age at this time as being 53 and from that some decendants have assumed his birth year to have likely around 1773 which based on his own statement of his age made in his land petition one would think it would be accurate. So I am left being not 100 per cent certain about the age though it makes sense for a number of reasons that this Angus Livingston born at Penmore is the same Angus Livingston who came to Nova Scotia and settled in Cape Breton in the early 1800's. Just wish there was someway to clarify it. A DNA test someday may help maybe.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Levingston and Katharine Cameron of Penmore, Mull

Hi John,

Interesting that are two baptisms for a Donald Levingston son of John Levingston and Katharine Cameron one taking place in 1768 and the other in 1774. In 1768 the baptism info indicates that John Levingston and Katharine Cameron are residing at Penmore and in 1774 baptism it indicates they are living at Druimghigha which interestedly is the neighbouring settlement so there seems little doubt then this refers to a child of the same John Levingston and Katharine Cameron. Perhaps the eldest child Donald died and they named another son Donald but that is probably unlikely. The other possibility is that it is an entry error by the Kilninian Parish minister and the son's name was actually John and wrote down Donald.

By 1776 it appears at the time of the Baptism of daughter Mary the family had moved to a a few miles south east of Kenmore and neighbouring Druimghigha and are now located at Arivolchoan. In Dec. 1779 they are at Sunipol which is a just a few miles north west of Penmore. John Levingston or Livington is not listed as a resident of Sunipol or Penmore in the 1779 list of Argyll Tenants in Mull and so it seems likely they were still residing at Arivolchoan at the time the Census was conducted in 1779 as it was not included in the 1779 census. There are no Livingston families recorded at Penmore by the time of the 1779 census but interestingly by the 1790's John Livingston and Katharine Cameron's son Angus Livingston and his wife Christy McLucas are residing at Penmore following their marriage there. And by the early 1800's a John Livingston and his wife Catharine Campbell also marry while residing at Penmore.

Finally while I don't have 100% proof that Angus Livingston who was married to Christy McLucas at Penmore Mull and lived there before leaving for Nova Scotia and John Livingston who was married to Catharine Campbell at Penmore Mull were related it is interesting I have documented evidence from a Kilninian Parish record that John Livingston and Catharine Campbell left Penmore Mull a few years after Angus and Christy in the year 1821. This departure document from 1821 from Mull was in the possession in more recent times by a direct descendant a son Alexander b. 1814 of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Mull I believe.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I've been too busy this week to reply, but did change Campbell to Cameron, mistake on my part, probably misread my own writing, I'll get back to you tomorrow,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

No problem. Just thought I should check with you on that one.

The challenge to understanding the Mull Livingtons is that they moved around so much from Mull settlement to another, so it hard to really state they are from this place or that place. As far as Ross of Mull goes in 1779 there was your family at Shebach (Shiaba) and another Livingston family at Creich. I don't know that all Livingston family's were recorded in the 1779 list of Argyll Inhabitant that resided in Mull but oddly enough not many in the rest of Mull are listed for some reason. On the other hand almost every settlement in Morvern had a least one Livingston family and in the case of Savary there were three including the famous Donald Livingstone 1728-1816. I notice the same phenonmena in the 1716 list in which there seems to be many more Macleas or Maconleas recorded in Morvern Parish that in Mull for some reason.

regards,

Donald