A Livingstone Family ?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

A Livingstone Family ?

Post by jmlivingstone »

https://familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/ ... /landscape

Donald,

Some more info I came across while doing a bit of research on Isobel Carroll family, your Myles gets a mention.

How accurate this info is, I do not know, it looks like a bit of a jumble of highland & lowland families to me, having said that, it does contain a lot of info, worth a look at anyway,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: A Livingstone Family ?

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Thanks. I always interested to see family tree submissions connected to any Livingston with name Myles or Miles. The name Myles or Miles Livingston appears in Argyllshire either in the 18th Lismore records or early 19th century neighbouring Morvern parish records. My ancestor's Miles Livingston marriage record to another Livingston Janet nickname Jessie Livingston in 1812 appears in the Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay records but the minister there acknowledges in the details of their 1812 marriage entry that both Miles and his wife Janet Livingston are native of Morvern. Even when sourcing info from ancestor from the original surviving records his family origins can be confusing as his 1812 marriage record states that he and wife Janet were natives of Morvern. Days after his 1812 marriage he travelled aboard the Schooner Staffa that included a large contingent of Clan Clean settlers from Mull and subsequently was therefore recorded as being from Mull as well in one of the subsequent Red River Colony settler or employee lists which also records his age and from that the estimate that he was born in 1775. As the only Miles or Myles Livingston born or baptized in 1775 is Myles Livingston son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell of Cloichlea, Lismore, my father's late cousin and the late Baron Alastair Livingston concluded years ago that our Miles Livingston was of Lismore. I think it also possible that he was born in Morvern but the family subsequently briefly lived in Lismore. Lismore and the west coast of Movern where numerous Livingston families lived in the 1700's are adjacent to Lismore where also many Livingstons lived. So even if a relative was working from original Miles Livingston records there is some conflicting info as to his own origins and that of his earlier Livingston family. The DNA testing of my Livingston cousin however has helped to confirm his most likely Morvern origins and even which Morvern families he might be connected with. More on that exciting news later.

I have not seen one linking my ancestor Miles to both highland and lowland livingston family's before, but it would not surprise me as I have seen with ancestry.com family tree submissions a number of Livingstons piecing together their Argyllshire Livingston family lines before 1800 sometime connecting other Livingston families both highland and lowland with their own Livingston family. I am currently researching one Canadian Livingston family where some descendants have interestingly in their family trees some other Livingston families from old stories that these other Livingston families were related.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I see the Dougald livingston familysearch info. It is of course of some interest to me over the years that there is a Myles Livingston born the same year as my ancestor listed as son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell of Cloichea, Lismore. He of course had a brother Dougal born in 1759 on the Isle of Lismore but not certain there is a connection with Isobel's Appin Livingston family but there could be. Isobel if I understood correctly is descended from Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum of Appin, Argyll I think. Margaret McCallum (Mrs Dugald Livingston) abt. 1850 as a widow came to Canada and joined some of her family that settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County. Another Appin Livingston, Angus Livingston son of Peter Livingston a Port Appin Shoemaker also settled in Plympton township, Lambton County in the 1800's. A descendant of Peter and his son Angus Livingson of Port Appin was tested and is not a match with Parker Livingstons but rather matching the Lismore/Appin Livingstone DNA group and are a close match to the Bachuil Livingstons I understand. No descendant of Dougald Livingston has been tested but I am thinking they might actually share ancestry with other Appin Livingston families and the neighbouring Lismore Livingston families. But I should not say that for certain until a descendant of Dougald Livingston has been tested.

While have not found the familysearch info on Isabel's Livingston ancestor I do remember her earlier posts and the discussions with you and her regarding her Appin Livingston ancestor Dougald Livingston with him she linked I think to a Lismore Livingston family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Regarding her Isabel's ancestor Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum they both appear in 1841 in the Appin Census which gives their approximate ages at the time. Here is everything that I found and posted in an earlier message about them from the Appin info and info of widow Margaret McCallum (Margaret Livingston) later in Canada which he settled at in 1849:

Margaret (McCallum) Livingston widow of Dugald Livingston of Old Miln, Appin Argyll also came to Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario in the 1850's after her husband's death where her youngest daughter Elizabeth Harriet Livingston had settled with her husband John Livingston Jr. of Coalard and later Ardnaclach, Appin. Margaret McCallum Livingston died in 1867 in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario.

Margaret McCallum and her husband Dugald Livingston appear together in the 1841 Scottish census residing at Old Miln, Appin, Argyll. Margaret and Dugald Livingston are both recorded in 1841 as being age 55 or born about 1786. Other researchers however have suggested other birth dates for Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum of Old MIln, Appin, Argyll. Dugald died sometime between the years 1841 and 1849.

One problem with Dugald Livingston or Livingstone and Margaret McCallum is that their marriage record may not actually survive. The 1802 marriage probably the most likely when I checked the old Lismore, Appin and Duror Parish records of 1802 for the date listed March 21, 1802 actually states that a John Livingston in this parish and Margaret McCallum of the Parish of Kilbride were wed on March 21, 1802. It is possible there was entry error however by the Church of Scotland Minister as I think Dugald and Margaret McCallum were quite likely married in the year 1802. I assume whoever copied it must have thought also that John Livingston might be an error.
A marriage between Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum is not the Scotlands people records however in 1800 or 1802 and we should probably consult with Isobel on that discrepancy if she is not aware of it.

Known Children of Dugald Livingston and Margaret McCallum of Old Miln, Appin, Argyll
1. Elizabeth Harriet Livingston b. Nov. 22, 1803 (Not recorded in parish records)
2. Mary Livingston b. Aug. 12, 1805
3.Donald Livingston b. Jun. 2, 1807
4. Margaret Livingston b. Sept 12, 1810
5. Mary Livingston b. Sept. 16, 1812
6. John Livingston b. Sept. 17, 1814
7. Duncan Livingston b. Nov. 18, 1816
8. Jean (Jane) Livingston b. Nov. 27,1818
9. Euphemia Livingston b. April 12, 1821

On August 17, 1849 Margaret Livingston age 66 (b. abt. 1783) with a Fanny Livington age 26. Also with Margaret and Fanny is Angus McGregor, age 28, Mary McGregor age 28, Janet McGregor age 2 all arriving in New York passengers coming from Glasgow aboard the "Adam Carr".
Mary I assume was Margaret (McCallum) Livingston's older daughter Mary. With the McGregors and Margaret Livingston. A check of the Appin and Lismore marriage records shows that a Mary Livingston married Angus McGregor on July 17, 1845.Also aboard this ship is Angus Livingston age 30 whom I presume to be the son of Peter Livingston the Shoemaker of Port Appin, Appin and his wife Catharine age 26. I assume this is Angus Livingston who was later married to Agnes Livingston and lived in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario.

In the Canadian Census of 1861 Margaret (McCallum) Livingston age 80 (b. abt. 1781) is living with Angus McGregor, age 40, his wife Mary Mcgregor age 45, Jessie? age 14, Jane age 9, Dugald age 7 in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario, Canada.

Margaret (McCallum) Livingston is said to have died in 1867 in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario, Canada

I assume from the above info that Margaret McCallum's husband Dugald Livingston was born in the 1780's about 1786 at least according to his last census of 1841 while he was residing in Appin. Margaret his wife according to the 1841 Census at Appin is born also abt. 1786 based on the ages given in that census record. In the 1861 Census of Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario, Canada Margaret (McCallum) Livingston is said to be of age 80 perhaps an approximation so born abt. 1781. Not sure about the 1777 birth date submitted for Margaret McCormick's husband. I am not certain who Dugald's father was or that anyone can say for certain whether Dugald was born in Lismore rather than neighbouring Appin where we know from his only 1841 Census and the children's records the family lived while Dugald was livings with his wife and family. The 1841 census records don't make the precise place of birth for those censused in Argyll very clear as do the 1851 and subsequent census records. So I would think any determination of the exact. birthplace of Dugald born apparently in the 1780's from the records would be difficult.

I have not seen as yet the information linking Myles Livingston of Lismore baptized 1775 and son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell linked with Isobel's Appin Livingston ancestors but I would assume that some have determined the Dugald baptized in 1759 an older brother of Myles Livingston of Lismore Parish is connected perhaps to the Dugald Livingston who was married to Margaret McCallum. Difficult to prove. I have often wondered what became of the family of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell of Lismore Parish. We know they lived there from the 1750's probably at least till the 1780's, but I have not found a trace of them unless Myles Livingston baptized in 1775 is infact my Great-great-great Grandfather which I can't completely rule out. I have often wondered thought what became of the other family of Donald Livingstone and Christian Campbell. Perhaps the Lismore Parish marriage and later baptism records may yet provide some possible clues. I suspect all the family had left Lismore by the time of the 1841 Census, but I am not sure of that. If so where did they go after Lismore Parish?

regards,

Donald