Angus M. Livingston and Martha Covington of Anson Cty. N.C.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Angus M. Livingston and Martha Covington of Anson Cty. N.C.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Alex and Don,
You may be familiar with all of this Alex but I thought this might be of interest to you and helpful to me in trying to follow your family connection to Duncan and his father Angus and taking his ancestral line to William Alexander Livingston.
Ancestral line of Alex's ancestor William Alexander Livingston b. 1903
1. Angus Livingston b. 1740 Scotland likely in highland Argyllshire between 1830-1840 in Lillesville, Anson County, N.C. m. name of wife not known to me (Angus Livingston and his Anson County Livingston family lines via his two sons Duncan and a son John through familytreedna Y Chromosomce DNA testing of descendants to be a match with about 24 Livingstones/Livingstons worldwide all with proven, apparent or likely highland Argyllshire origins.

2.Duncan Livingston b. abt. 1790 in North Carolina d. June 11, 1861 Lillesville, ANson County, N.C. m. Martha (McCormick?) 1795-1876, March 26, 1821 in North Carolina
Lived at Sandy Point and Lillesville, Anson County, North Carolina

3.Angus M. Livingston b. Dec. 25, 1821 Lillesville, Anson County, North Carolina d. Sept. 3, 1885 Lillesville, Anson County, North Carolina. Buried at Olivet United Methodist Church Cemetery. Married Martha Covington b. April 24, 1824 d. Aug. 15, 1909 Lillesville, Anson County, North Carolina

4. John Thomas Livingston b. March 9, 1866 Lillesville, Anson County d. Aug. 25, 1948 Stewartville, Scotland County, North Carolina Residence was in Laurenburg, Scotland County, N.C. Burial Hillside Cemetery Laurenburg, Scotland County, N.C. Married Rena Funderburke Meecham b. May 10, 1888 Richmond County, N.C died Nov. 16,1957 Laurinburg, Scotland County, N.C.

5. William Alexander Livingston "Sandy" b. July 31,1903 in Lillesville, Anson County, N.C or b. July 30, 1903 in neighbouring Wadesboro, Anson County, N.C. d. Oct. 5, 1968 Charlotte, Mecklenburg, County, N.C Buried Sharon Memorial Park m. Eloise Pruette (Note: On Sandy's WW2 draft card it states that he was born on July 30, 1903 at Wadesboro, Anson County, N.C. I assume Sandy filled in his own draft card. So you may want to check with relatives about whether his birthday was July 30th or July 31st. His North Carolina death certificate of 1968 states that he was born July 31, 1903 in Lillesville and think that info came from his widow.

regards,

Donald
Alex L

Re: Angus M. Livingston and Martha Covington of Anson Cty. N

Post by Alex L »

Donald,

Yes, that's pretty much where I am at this point. I do appreciate having all of that information right in one place like that. My dad always told me his dad grew up in Anson County so his birth in Laurinburg may or may not be correct. That's really neither here nor there except if I were trying to pinpoint when they may have moved from Anson County to Scotland County, which I may do in the future.

Now it's time to look into the highland Argyllshire!

Thank you,

Alex L.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

I wish I could tell you more about precisely where Angus was born apparently in the 1740's. We do have a few clues however. Don Livingston also descended like you from Angus and his son Duncan of Anson County, North Carolina took the familytreedna Y Chromosome DNA a while ago and it confirmed as I suspected that he was a match with a group of 20+ Livngstons/Livingstones many with documented highland western Argyllshire ancestry. So already we have DNA evidence from a fellow descendant of your ancestor Angus Livingston that your Livingtons connected to Angus of Anson County, North Carolina likely are likely all of Western Argyllshire Maclea/Livingstone ancestry. Another clue is that the part of the North Carolina near the South Carolina border where Angus and some other unrelated highland Argyllshire Livingston settled in neighbouring Richmond, Robeson and Montgomery was the general location where in the late 1700's and early 1800's and number of highland Argyllshire families made their home. In fact the general area in North Carolina I am referring and elsewhere in North Carolina I understand there are good number of families who can trace their ancestry to settlers of Highland Argyllshire origin such as Livingstons. Cameron's, Carmichaels, McInnes, Stewarts, Campbells etc. Finally the names Angus and Duncan are common among the 18th and 19th century Livington families that resided in Mull before emigration and clearances of the 19th century, but can be found Livingstons that lived in neighbouring Morvern, Ardnamurchan, Lismore and Appin and other parishes throughout Western Argyllshire.

The specific Livingston DNA group and there are a number of them that Don and my own Livingston cousin are matching has for some reason a strong Mull and Morvern Livingston component to it. So much so that virtually every time a Livingston of known Mull and Morvern Livington ancestry has been tested in the familytreedna project as far I know every one except one in the last ten years or so has been match with the Livingstone DNA group that Don and my own Livingston cousin are part of. That is not the case with all of the other parishes in Western Argyllshire but so far seem to be the case I had noticed for some interesting reason with Livingstons with documented Mull and Morvern Argyll origins. I can't be certain that you and Don's ancestor Angus came from one of the parishes in Mull or neighbouring MOrvern parish but that would be my first guess based on Don's DNA results. He appears to be much closer I think to Mull Livingstons than the 4 Modern Livingston in his DNA group so I think we can rule out Angus coming from Morvern parish where my Livingston ancestor came from so my first guess would be Angus or his Livingston family could have originated in one of the parishes of Mull in Western Argyll. But there are a number of other parishes in Western Argyllshire where he and Livingston kin may lived. So one of the parishes of Mull would be my first guess. I can't look for baptism records for Angus Livingstons children back in Argyllshire because apparently married in North Carolina and had sons John and Duncan after he came to North Carolina. And if Angus was born in 1740's or 1750's there are only a few parishes in Argyllshire that have baptism or birth records surviving before the 1750's so not all the records that once existed that might have listed Angus Livingston's born or baptized during that early time before hs settled in North Carolina are now available. Duncan was born in North Carolina about 1790 or around then. Not certain when his brother John was born as he died I think Don told me in the 1840's in North Carolina. So the best I can say so far is that Angus Livingston was very likely born in parish in Western Argyllshire possibly in Mull. Don's DNA marker results were identified by familytreedna as being of numerical pattern consistent with other Livingstons mostly of Western Argyllshire origin and I suspect the strongest matches in that Western Argyll DNA group with those of Mull Argyll origin. Another possibility might be nearby Ardnamurchan Parish near Morvern and Mull. I should check with Don as to his closest matches so far which might give me some more clues and perhaps better sense of which parish in Argyll your ancestor might have been ancestrally connected.

My sense from your earlier message is that your very excited about visiting highland Argyllshire in 2108 and visiting the Clan Chief on the Isle of Lismore. I wish I could tell your more about your ancestors in Scotland, but I can tell you that your Livingston cousins Y Chromosome DNA test results prove without doubt that your Livingston ancestor Angus Livingston was likely related to a Argyll Maclea Livingston family group that was predominate among Maclea Livingstone families who resided in 18th and 19th century Mull, neighbouring Morvern where my Livingston ancestors lived, neighbouring Ardnamurchan and apparently with some Livingston families in other adjacent parishes in Western Argyllshire. So at least I can share what is clear so far regarding you and Don's ancestor Angus Livingstons origin. No specifics but a general sense of the location in highland Scotland where his Livingstons and other related kin resided that hopefully is of some help to you. It very much likely that old Angus was fluent in the gaelic language of the highland Scots and his ancestors in Argyllshire when he arrived in North Carolina, although he was quite likely familiar with english. I understand the highland settlers and their families that arrived in North Carolina in the 1700's and early 1800's continued to speak and read in Scottish gaelic and in some church services but eventually it would decline in use.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society

regards,

Donald
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Donald,

Wow, thank you!

Alex L.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,
Please see my updates and the one correction regarding William Alexander Livingston to your ancestral line regarding your Grandfather William Alexander Livingston "Sandy" in one of my previous posts.
You are so right. William A. Livingston's 1968 death certificate states he was born July 31, 1903 in Lillesville, Anson County, N.C. It should be noted however that on his WW2 draft card he filled in that he was born on July 30, 1903 Wadesboro the neighbouring town. I include a website below on Lillesville that includes a map of the area that includes nearby Wadesboro. Interesting. I corrected the ancestral line in the earlier message with the updated info for you. The information from the census previous to his birth indicates that the family in 1900 resided in Lillesville, Anson County. In 1900 the family of John T. Livingston is living at ANson County at Lillesville and were evidently still in Anson County when your grandfather William Alexander (Sandy) Livingston was born in 1903. By the time of the 1920 U.S Census John T. Livingston and familiy including William A. age 8 at this time are now living in Robeson County, North Carolina at Red Springs and Flora Mancill Road where ever that might be. By the time of the 1920 Census John T. Livingston and his family including William A Livingston referred to in this census as "Sandy" is now age 18 and the family are residing at Smiths? Robeson County, N.C at Floral College and Red Springs Rd.

http://www.townoflilesville.org

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink