Livingstones buried Hawkhead, Paisley.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Livingstones buried Hawkhead, Paisley.

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

While attempting to find the burial place of Angus, & other family members unsuccessfully, I came across the burial sites of the Livingstones listed below,

1. Daniel, d. 08 Nov. 1918, age 81.

Kate Blue, d. 12 Feb. 1906, age 21.

Agnes Jackson, d. 30 Dec. 1952, age 71.

The name McNair is also listed, probably mother of Daniels two daughters.

2. Jeannie Livingstone, d. 12 Jan. 1939 ??, age71.

Son James d. ??.

3. Robert, d. 16 Nov.?? 1934 ??, age 75, husband of Mary Brown.

Daughters Mary d. 1915 age 17 & Margaret Rae d. 1918, age 24.

4. William d. 01 Jan. 1915, age 36,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstones buried Hawkhead, Paisley.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Good evening,
It was definitely worth a try looking to see if old Angus Livingston's grave somehow survived after we confirmed the he died in Paisley Renfrewshire from his last page of the ledger book of his Chelsea Military Pension account book. That would have been fantastic if that had happened, but I fear the odds were unfortunately working against you in this case.
Finding even relatively recent mid 19th century gravestones of Livingston ancestors in Scotland I imagine would be many cases be quite difficult in many cases unless one relatives were of some affluence.

In my own Livingston family situation,most of the Morvern Parish Livingstons related to me distantly or otherwise were buried in the 1700's and 1800's in Keil Cemetery in Morvern, but today only a relative few of old gravestones of Livingstones buried in the 1800's survive compared to the many more Livingtons that must of been buried there. DNA testing has indicated that I am very closely related to a Livingston family that resided a Killundine Parish in the early 1800's and likely before that. Both my Livingston Morvern family branch and those of Killundine, Morvern are related to the old Savary, Morvern Livingston of Ewen Livingston of Savary Morvern and his brother Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 who rescued the Appin Regiment banner. A descendant of Ewen has been very helpful in determining this family connection in recent years. There must have a great many Livingstons from these Morvern of Ewen and Donald's and many others who were buried at Keil but either they were buried in unmarked graves or their graves were of poor quality stone or wood and did not last very long.
There is one grave in Argyll of a Livingston whom I assume my Livingston family in the 18th century was likely closely related an that is that of Ewen and Donald's father John Livingstone (1700-1759) of Savary, Morvern. Unfortunately I only suspect a Livingston family connection because of DNA testing of my Livingston cousin. John is buried with his wife Anne McInnes in a highland style ornate table tomb which Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 had erected for his father and mother. It is beautifully carved and includes a family coat of arms which though faded can still be discerned, which I assume Donald had designed for this gravestone. I am still puzzled how Donald could afford such an expensive tomb for his Father and Mother given that he was as we know not a man of great means. At the time of his Father's death he seems to have a cattle drover, but perhaps he prospered in supplying the local garrison with cattle and other small business initiatives. Unless of course one of Donald's former Jacobite friends in Western Argyll of greater financial standing than him wanted to honour Donald and his family for his efforts during the Rebellion by bestowing upon him funds to afford this lavish highland style table tomb to be built following his Father's death.

No doubt I have more closely related Livingston relatives buried in old Keil Cemetery but alas they have no marker and I have no knowledge of who they were. My great-great-great grandfather Livingston left Argyllshire in June of 1812, settled in the British North America (Canada) and died there sometime in the 1840's again buried in grave which long ago lost it's grave marker or perhaps never had one to begin with. Because the Church of Scotland Morvern Parish records are lost before the year 1803 unlike you who have access to Mull church records of your Mull ancestors back into the 1700's, though I know from later record from Canada that my great-great-great grandfather was born abt. 1775 I don't know 100 per cent for certain who his parents were or his brothers or sisters. So once I found a Livingston cousin the DNA test was the way go forward and try to prove the Morvern family connection and possibly in time find descendants of my ancestors family if I was lucky.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Don