Kirkcudbrightshire,Wigtownshire, Dumfries-shire Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Kirkcudbrightshire,Wigtownshire, Dumfries-shire Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

I have strayed beyond my highland Western Argyllshire Livingstone/Livingston comfort zone most recently on account of my interest in learning more about the Livingston families that lived in the 1600's 1700's and 1800's in Kirkudbrightshire, Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshrie and nearby Ayrshire and there connection if any to some of the Livingston tenants of S.W. Scotland who settled in Ulster in the early 1600's. While I have found some sources which list some Livingstons in the 1600's living in some of these Counties, there are Church of Scotland marriage records a century or so later in the early 1700's that clearly indicate that a number of LIvingston families indeed lived in these Counties, many of them presumably related to those famlies who lived in these Counties some of whom may have settled in Ulster in the 1600's. The descendants of these old Livingston families of these Counties in South West Scotland could help provide the solution to a 400 year old Livingston family mystery the fourth and latest Livingston family history mystery I am working on.

Kirkkudbrightshire, Scotland
Girthon
Gabriel Livingston April 29, 1701
Margaret Livingston April 29, 1708
Heugh Livingston April 14, 1713
Samuel Livingston Dec. 21, 1727
Anworth
Agnes Livingston Feb. 18, 1741
Elizabeth Livingston April 26, 1741
ALexander Livingston Nov. 15, 1744

Wigtownshire, Scotland
Glasserton
Margaret Livingston June 10 1703
William Livingston July i 1707
William Livingston July 8, 1715
Jannet Livingston Jan. 31, 1727
Penninghame
Alexander Livingston Jan. 29, 1745

Dumfries-shire, Scotland
Dumfries

William Livingston Nov. 12, 1715
William LIvingston Dec. 10, 1717
William Livingston June 22, 1729

Ayrshire, Scotland
Sorn
John Livingstone Dec. 12, 1712
Craigie by Kilmarnock

Margaret Livingston March 18, 1727
Beith
Margaret Livingston July 24, 1729
Machline
Agnes Livingston Dec. 27, 1733
Dunlop
John Livingston Feb.7, 1737

Later marriage record show even greater numbers of Livingstons and Livingstones in the later and 18th and 19th century in Kirkudbrightshire, Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire and Ayrshire in S.W. Scotland. Within the next few years I am hoping we can through DNA testing establish whether or not these families were related and descended from the old Galloway, SW Scotland Livingstons that lived in this general area in the 1600's and before that.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Re: Kirkcudbrightshire,Wigtownshire, Dumfries-shire Livingst

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Did you check out previous research done in this area, probably about 6 years ago.

If I remember correctly, it was something to do with a family, possibly from Dumfries, who probably moved to Dalry &/or Lochwinnoch, not sure,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Kirkcudbrightshire,Wigtownshire, Dumfries-shire Livingst

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

I also recall in 2015 we got into a discussion with lady whose Livingston ancestor settled in Australia and was of family in early 1800's that lived in Ayrshire and had a Sorn connection there. Perhaps a connection with that Livingston family that lived in in Sorn, Ayr. It may be that some of the Livingstons already tested may be of Ayrshire, Wigtownshire and Dumfriesshire origin and I am not aware of it as many Livingstons with familytreedna do not include details their ancestral origin.

One of the North Carolina Livingstons in our Parker Livingston group lived near another unrelated family of Livingstons in the same County in North Carolina who I found had also had an Argyllshire origin with one family member born in the late 1700's settling in North Carolina and another settling in Wigtownshire in the 1800's where he found work as a Harbour master or some such occupation. But there seems to be definitely "other" older family groups of Livingstons that had lived in Wigtownshire long before the 1800's that I am hoping we can eventually identify though familytreedna and figure out if an how they match with other Livingstons in the Project. This would be part of this new fourth group initiative having worked to some degree with three other Livington DNA groups.

Also for a fifth group I would like to work with New York State Livingstons who have ancestral connections with Robert Livingston son of Rev. John Livingston of Ancrum, Scotland who is said to have been connected to a old family branch of the old Aristocratic Calendar Livingston family of Stirlingshire. Two seem to be a match but ideally more testing of the New York State Livingstons might further shed light on the branches of this family group connected to Robert Livingston who settled in Duchess County, NY in the late 1600's.

regards,

Donald