Donald Livingstons of Isle of Luing circa 1834

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Donald Livingstons of Isle of Luing circa 1834

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

In the difficult search for Donald Livingston who was married to Agnes Stevenson and who lived on the Isle of Luing in the early 1800's, I first searched the 1841 Census with Livingston householders in Kilchattan Parish and found that Donald Livingston and his wife Agnes Stevenson were not listed and perhaps had died before 1841 or moved elsewhere. There was only one Donald Livingston householder recorded in 1841 on the Isle of Luing and that Donald Livingston b. abt. 1781 a cotton labourer married to Margaret b. abt. 1782. and residing at Ardlarach. So no sign of Donald Livingston and Agnes Stevenson in 1841 on the Isle of Luing and in Kilchattan and Kilbrandon Parish.

However the other day I noticed an 1834 list of householders of the Isle of Luing which included two Donald Livingstons residing on the Isle of Luing.
The first was the Donald Livingston of Ardlarach and a second one not mentioned in the 1841 Census was a Donald Livingston of Collipool. Along Donald was listed also at Collipool, Neil Livingston and Archibald Livingston.

While the 1841 Census does not include Donald Livingston of Collipool it lists Archibald Livingston b. abt. 1791 as a slate worker at Collipool married to Agnes Livingston. Also at Collipool as listed in the 1834 list Neil Livingston b. abt. 1766 also a slate worker according to the 1841 Census.

So as the 1841 Census tells us that the one Donald mentioned in the 1834 list residing at Ardlarach was married to a Margaret then there is good chance that the other Donald Livingston living on the Isle of Luing in the 1830's that was according to the 1834 list residing at Collipool could well be the Donald Livingston married to Agnes Stevenson who were parents of Solomon Livingston. The odds are good anyways i should think.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Donald Livingstons of Isle of Luing circa 1834

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Laura

So we have a Donald Livingston with fellow Livingstons Neil Livingston b.1766 and Archibald Livingston b.1791 at Collipool in 1834 list and then in 1841 Census at Collipool slate workers Neil Livingston and Archibald Livingston are listed as householders but Donald is missing. This would make sense as we know from the 1841 Census that Solomon is by this time living in Glasgow and a elderly woman referred Mrs Livingston is living with him who is likely his mother Agnes Stevenson by now likely a widow. This census info I believe includes young Solomon and his widowed mother. So my theory that it is your ancestor Donald Livingston is the Donald who was living in 1834 at Collipool and then apparently died before the 1841 Census would make sense.