Two Solomon Livingstons in mid 1800's Lanarkshire

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Two Solomon Livingstons in mid 1800's Lanarkshire

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

It should be noted that there were two adult Solomon Livingstons in Lanarkshire with apparent Argyllshire origins. Solomon Livingston born in the 1820's in Kilbrandon and Kilchattan parish (apparently on the Isle of Luing, Argyll, Tailor and Clothier is recorded in the 1851 Census residing in Glasgow's Barony in Lanarkshire with his wife not named but at that time Catharine McLachlan wife no. 2 and his son Solomon Jr. age 7 from his brief first marriage and his daughter Agnes and Margaret with wife no. 2.

The other Solomon Livingston that I see also mentioned on ancestry.com in the 1851 Census in Lanarkshire a single labourer b. abt. 1823 or 1826/1827 according to the 1851 Census in Kilbernie, Argyll and residing at the time of this census in Cadder Parish, Lanarkshire. Don't know that there is a Kilbernie in highland Argyll? Think that might be a mistake. There is a Kilbernie in Ayrshire. In in the 1861 census this other Solomon Livingston a labourer appears again in the census records as being born in Argyllshire this time in Milford, Argyllshire while Laura's ancestor Solomon Livingston is listed in this census as being born at the Isle of Luing, Argyll.

I should mention that Laura's main source of info regarding her ancestor Solomon Livingston's parents being a Donald Livingston and Agnes Stevenson is probably from Solomon's 1886 Lanarkshire death record. Your quite right though there does not seem to be anyway other surviving records regarding Donald Livingston and Agnes Stevenson and her ancestor Solomon Livingston the Glasgow Tailor does not have a surviving birth or baptismal record from Argyllshire or the Isle of Luing where he was likely born in Kilchattan Parish and baptized with the Church of Scotland minister there perhaps. Unless his Livingston family was Episcopalian as some Livingstons in Western Argyllshire were, but Solomon married in the Church of Scotland so I dont think that would be reason his birth or baptism information from the Isle of Luing can't be located. It just one of those unfortunate situations of missing birth and baptism records that we are confronted with from time to time with the Argyllshire Livingston research so we have to some how work with whatever we can find and at times takes some speculative leaps an deductive reasoning to try figure things out. It is a mystery I am sure to Laura no doubt as what happened to Donald Livingston and Agnes Stevenson.

It is interesting though to learn a little more about this "other" Solomon Livingston who was also born in Argyllshire according to the Argyllshire parish records. Don't know that this other Solomon was married to a Margaret Brownlee but this is what I did find out about the other Solomon Livingston who also lived in Lanarkshire and was the son of Neil Livingston and Margaret McColl which I have verified through his records.
Not sure about the Familysearch info but the death record of the other Solomon Livingston born abt. 1827 or 1826 a labourer residing in Bothwell Parish, Lancaster states that died March 28, 1866 there and that his parents were Neil LIingston and Margaret McColl as you said but that his wife is listed in his death record as being Agnes Johnston. The 1861 census confirms that the "other" Solomon Livingston was residing in Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire a labourer age 34 born abt. 1827 at Milford? Argyllshire. Also confirms his wife is Agnes age 26, daughter Margaret age 8 and son John age 1. I think I noticed that someone had also submitted a Margaret Brownlee as the wife of this Solomon son of Neil Livingston and Margaret McCOll on ancestry.com but don't see a marriage record for them in the Church of Scotland marriage record.

There is both a birth and baptism record interestingly enough for Solomon Livingston son of Neil Livingston and Margaret McColl which states that he was born actually on the 14th of May 1820 and baptized on the 4th of June of 1820 which is few years earlier than his census records suggest but his death record of 1866 recording his death in Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire where he and his wife Agnes Johnston were living confirms he is the Solomon son of Niel Livingston and Margaret McColl. Solomon was born in 1820 then in Kilniver and Kilmelfort Parish in Argyllshire. His father Neil Livingston was a carpenter and boatbuilder as was my own Argyllshire Livingston ancestor and Niel and his family apparently lived at a place called Gulich and Balichnason? Cant quite make out the complete spelling of the last one. In addition this Solomon had a brother Colin b. 1818, sister Susan b. 1822, brother Archibald b .1825 and John born 1827.
There seems to have a good number of Livingstons residing at one time at Kilninver and Kilmelfort Parish. I have it on it on my Church of scotland Parish record map upstairs but have not come across to many folks with Livingston ancestry connected to Kilninver and Kilmelfort. I suspect there is a interesting history of how these Livington families migrated to this parish some years earlier. The Livingstons were often migrating over the years from one parish to the other so one does have to be careful not to assume that that any particular parish might be their ancestral origin point occupied by their family for centuries. Even the Morvern Livingstons of which I am ancestrally connection including the Savary Morverns prior to the year 1600 or thereabout lived elsewhere in Argyllshire and almost certainly the neighbouring Mull Mcleas/Livingstones were not native to Mull historically but lived somewhere else in Argyllshire before settling in Mull I would imagine. The Savary Livngtons of Morvern claimed to have earlier lived in Achnacreee and www know that the Morvern Livingstons have other branches that are related to the Savary Morfvern Livingstons and that their Livingston neighbours in Mull were also somehow more distantly related to them but related and connected somehow way back when long ago. The DNA tests have definitely confirmed that our Morvern Mconlea ancestors and your Mull Mconlea ancestors were ancestrally connected more than 300 years ago I would imagine in Western Argyllshire.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Two Solomon Livingstons in mid 1800's Lanarkshire

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Actually the two parishes where the two different Solomon Livingstons were born is not that far from each other in that part of Argyll near Oban. Solomon is not a name I have come across too often in Western Argyllshire with Livingstons. No evidence that the these two Solomons were related but it is interesting that both lived in parishes not far from Oban.

regards,

Donald