George Murray Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: George Murray Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI John,

There were a number of Livingstones who lost their lives in France during World War 1 I suspect. I noticed in Canada that some Nova Scotia Livingstons did also.

My father was an officer in training with the Canadian Army in the 1940's but did not complete his officer training till near the end of War. His best friend from High School was a spitfire pilot shot over some coastal area of France in the early 40's. He survived the downing of his plane and spent the rest of the war in Stalag 13 I learned was the same Luftwaffe prison for British and allied flyers that was depicted in the movie The Great Escape. Sadly my Dad's friend soon tired of civilian life a few years after the War and rejoined the Air Force in Canada and in some terrible tragic irony died in a crash of his military plane in a farmer's field in Saskatchewan only a few years later. My elderly father never forgot the tragic loss of his young friend and he kept the postcards he had been sent by his friend from Germany while he was a prisoner at the infamous Stalag 13. In the one the messages on the postcard Bruce thanks my Dad for sending him some books to read, but complains about the boredom of being in the camp and looks forward to having some good whiskey with my Father when he is finally released. I still have those sad postcards from Stalag 13 prison camp in Germany which my Father treasured so much. I found out that Bruce had one daughter born after the War before he died in the early 50's, but by the time I found out about her she had passed just a few years earlier. I would have liked to have shared these memories about her Father and my Father with her but unfortunately I was apparently a few years too late.

regards,

Donald