James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lothian

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lothian

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

These Livngstons I mention below in bold type are persons I am pretty sure of based with the information that I could find regarding their Tranent, East Lothian ancestor that are distant cousins of yours. IF I am correct you and the others I mention below are connected by being related to one of three sons of James Livingston and Sarah Wood of Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland.
Here is the known family of James Livingston and Sarah Wood of Tranent Parish, East Lothian and who of their children the connects most interestingly to some recent Livingston family researchers who have contacted the Forum. This is very cool. Have not seen that happen before in all the time I have been with the Forum and only with a Western Argyllshire Maclea Livingstone group that I am quite involved with there were three persons of Maclea Livingstone Western Argyllshire ancestry who all who the same great-great-great grandfather a Duncan Livingstone who settled in North Carolina community in the late 1700's where a number of Argyllshire families settled. North Carolina has many families descended from Argyllshire families I learned from North Carolina Livingstons. But this is the only time that I can recall so many persons who have visited the Forum of Livingston ancestry connecting to one family like this.

James Livingston b. Aug. 21, 1763 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. unknown m. Sarah Wood in Trenant Parish, East Lothian. in 1780's probably in Tranent Parish, East Lothian, Scotland
1. Alexander Livingstone b. March 22,1789 baptized March 29, 1789 Tranent parish, East Lothian d. before 1841 Tranent Parish, East Lothian m. March 24, 1809 Janet Mark, Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. Coal Nook, Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. between 1851-1861 - linked to family of Phillip O'brien of ? and Guy Carrion of Oregon
2. Janet Livingstone b. May22,1791 baptized June 12,1791 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. April 24,1870 Parish of Aberlady, East Lothian m. Thomas Purves May 20, 1814 Aberlady, East Lothian
3. James Livingstone b.June17,1796 baptized July 3,1796 m. Isabella Baxter Aug 16, 1822 Tranent Parish East Lothian _ linked to family of John Dean and his cousin [/b]Phillip Livingston of Australia
4. John Livingstone born 24/09/1798 baptized 04/10/1798 Tranent Parish, East Lothian or 1801 died August 21, 1875 Chesthil, Cranston Parish, Midlothian m. June 30, 1833 Newbattle Parish, Midlothian Helen Cockburn_ linked to U.S.A. David Wyse Livington and his family that lived in Scotland
5. David Howie Livingstone b. April 28, 1803 baptized May 15, 1803 d. April 17, 1872 Tranent Parish, East Lothian m. Sept. 14, 1851 Tranent parish, East Lothian Barbara Cummings b. 1810 d. May 8, 1879 Inveresk, Midlothian

Kevin Livingston of Tasmania, Australia our former Australian Clan Commissioner is descended from William Livingston of Prestopans, East Lothian and wife Jean Liddell. and their son James Williamson Livingston b. abt. 1795 in Prestopans, East Lothian who married Elizabeth Lees Feb. 20, 1818 in Canongate Edinburgh Midlothian, Scotland. James and Elizabeth later settled with their children in Australia in the 1830's? and apparently located in Hobart Tasmania. I am still piecing together genealogy info from 2010 of Kevin's that I working on but am now not so certain beyond this whether his Prestopans, East Lothian family was infact related to the Tranent Parish, East Lothian Livingstons. Y Chromosome DNA testing of Kevin I dont think has linked him to the Tranent Parish East Lothians, so it may not be the case they are related, but it interesting that we had two Clan Officers with some ancestral connections to East Lothian one way or another. In term of DNA testing it does not seem that Kevin Livingston of the 18th century Prestopan East Lothian Livingstons does not seem to a match with Phillip Livingston descended from the Tranent parish, East Lothian Livngstons apparently so they could be two unrelated Livingston families that both resided in the 18th century and possibly before that in East Lothian, Scotland. In 2010 when after his accident I helping Kevin with his genealogy I was leaning toward the possible connection of his Prestonpan, East Lothian Livingston ancestors with the Livingstons of East Lothian that you descend from but with your cousin Phillip Livingston not apparently being a match with Phillip if I am understanding correctly, then that may not be the case. One way or another it could be that Philip and Kevin are of two distinct and unrelated Livingston family groups that both happened to reside in East Lothian in the 18th century, unless other DNA information later on suggests otherwise.

I regret I am not aware of any matches with your cousin Phillip but it sounds like your Livingston cousin has a couple of Livington matches and no doubt eventually there might be more if a Livingstone related to you and your Cousin Phillip Livingstone someday in the future reads these Forum postings. Or perhaps a Livingston who visits the forum who does not know he is related to you might turn out with a DNA test to be related to you. Not all Livingstons are keen on the DNA testing and prefer more traditional ways of making sense of their ancestral origins via family history research so there is still much to gained from learning all I can from Livingstons sharing their family history info with us. I think both genealogy and DNA testing can together be of value to those trying to unravel the mysteries of their ancestry.

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Re: James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lot

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Yes thanks for this it is really helpful. I sent a messahe to Phillip O'Brien but no response as yet.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

This could be the beginning of whole new frontier of Livingston genealogical/DNA research and towards a better understanding of Lowland Livingstons. The Parish records suggest there have been Livingston families in East Lothian for a number of centuries, but where your Livingston family line might have lived before East Lothian I really dont know. But finding out which other Livingston families of other Counties in the Lowlands might share an ancient connection with your family line is an important step towards a better understanding of your Livingston family in centuries past. I wonder how these Livingstons were connected to the County of Angus and how far they can trace their Livingston in Angus.

I am also interested in a project to discover whether old Lowland Livingston families that resided in Dumfriesshire, Kircudbrighshire and Ayrshire in South Western Scotland are a genetic match with some Livingstons families that were known to have settled from Lowland Scotland into Ulster, Ireland in the early 1600's during the Irish Plantation period. This group is of particular interest as they prove to be descendants of early tribe of Celts that lived in this border area and I am hoping that this someday can be proven with DNA.

I thinks some livingstons of FIfeshire and Renfrewshire Livingston ancestry may have already tested in the Y Chromosome DNA project but if not then it would also be interesting to see what your DNA results tell us.

Admittingly, I spent much time focusing on the Western Argyllshire Maclea Livingstone matches but I also very interested in those Livingstons with documented genealogy info linking them to old Livingston families that lived in these other Lowland Counties I have mentioned. Hopefully DNA of them will yield a better understanding of these LIvingstons and if any of these are related as perhaps your East Lothian and Angus County Livingtons may prove to be.

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Thanks yes this is start of a new journey no doubt. I have not had much experience in researching early parish records so much to learn.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I took a look at the info regarding our former Australian Clan Commissioner Kevin Livingston's Prestopan's Livingston line and some Livingstons related to this same Prestopans, East Lothian family of William Livingston and Jean Liddell of Prestopan, East Lothian. I think I assumed early on that descendants of this William Livingston who married Jean Liddell of Prestopan, East Lothian was born in 1775 in Tranent Parish to Jasper Livingston of the Tranent Parish old Livingston family line, but I think I went that route because a number of descendants of this William Livingston and Jean Liddell had not been able to find a birth record for William in the Prestopan's parish records assumed that William was born in Tranent Parish, East Lothian in 1775 because there was a William Livingston born in 1775. How does anyone know for sure know that William was not actually born in Prestopans and descended from and old Prestopans Livingston family of which many of the parish records have not survived? I originally went with Jasper Livingston of Tranent Parish as being William's father and assumed he moved to Prestopans later. Anyways I don't think anyone can be certain whether Kevin's ancestor was born in Tranent Parish and not Prestopans East Lothian and his birth and baptism records were simply lost. So I am hesitant to accept the notion held by some that Kevin Livingston's ancestor was of the same East Lothian Livingston line as you and your cousin Phillip Livingston. And the DNA tests suggest that Phillip and Kevin if I understand correctly are not a match which also may suggest that Kevin's Livingston ancestry is rooted in Prestopans parish longer than is generally realized by family researchers.

A lot of the 17th century Church of Scotland parish records are missing for Livingstons but it is evident from the few that survive that Livingston families lived in Trannent, Prestopans Parish East Lothian which was a one time called Haddington. There are also some 17th century Parish records surviving with Livingtons in Angus County. So we can say for certain there were Livingston family members of the Church of Scotland residing as far back as the 1600's in both Tranent and Prestopans Parishes in (Haddington) East Lothian as well as in Angus County your mentioned.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Did you have any luck contacting Phillip O'brien or Guy Carrion?

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Hi Donald

No response as yet from Philip. Any ideas how would I contact Guy?

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I will mention this matter to our North American Clan Commissioner today and I will see if there is some way that we can locate them for you if that is possible. If the ancestral information is correct, Guy Carrion and you should be of the same Tranent Parish, East Lothian family group. I just tried to contact him myself. Something occurred to me and made an update on the Jame Livingston and Sarah Wood posting of mine that Guy referred to himself as Guy Carrion (Livingstone) in brackets of Oregon so they may mean that his last name is not Livingstone but that he is related to Livingstones in which case he would carry the Y chromosome Livingstone DNA to do the DNA test. Sorry your distant cousins name is actually Guy Carrion my mistake. But if so then Guy may have a lead on where in Australia you could find Livingston cousins of his and perhaps you could get in touch with them as well. Anyways I think I may be able to get in touch with Guy via some Livingstons who know him so all is not lost. But just to let you know he could be Guy Carrion and not Guy Livingston as I assumed.

regards,

Donald
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Donald, I sent you and email with what I found.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

HI Greg,

Thanks. Got your e-mail. I tried the other day to contact Guy via Clan Maclea Livingstone message system but he has not yet responded to that message and perhaps he has since 2010 changed his e-mail address. John could always write him or try to contact by phone I guess long distance.

regards,

Donald