James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lothian

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lot

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI John,
Thank-you for sharing the 67 and 111 marker results which show your Livage/ Livingston matches quite obviously.
Wow that is really definite on the relatively close match at 67-5 and 111-5. To me this 67-5 indicates a connection perhaps in the 1600's with your Livingston family, but I really be too certain. I dont think it is an 18h century Livingston family connection when your family records indicate they were all residing in Tranent Parish, East lothian so I my guess would be more likely in the previous century or before. So around 1600's would be my guess or perhaps earlier when there was a probable ancestral connection between the East Lothian Livngstons and the Angus LIvage (Livingstons). Interesting to see that your closest Livingston match at 67-5 did not increase in genetic distance with the 111 marker test but the genetic distance held steady at 5. I think Andrew would be best to consult with regarding your DNA results given his years of experience with the DNA project, his particular knowledge of the LIvage (Livingstons) of Glamis, Angus County and his own ancestral connection to the LIvage (Livingstons). Clearly the matches with the LIvingstons who have the done 67 marker test most significantly I think is indicating that your Livingston family that lived in Tranent Parish, East Lothian in the 1700's and 1800's must of had some sort of ancestral connection with these Livage (Livingston, Liveston) that resided in the County of Angus in Scotland presumingly in some prior century I suspect.

I also assume since Kevin Livingston is not a match with you or apparently the Angus County Livage/ Livingstons then his Prestopans Parish East Lothian Livingston family group from the 1700's who later moved to Midlothian, Scotland and in the 1830's to Australia must not be related to either your Tranent Parish East Lothian Livingston family group or that of those Livage/Livingstons who are of Angus County, origin who you are match with.

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Thanks Donald - I have sent an email to Andrew. Appreciate your input. John
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Canadian Livingstone wrote: 4. John Livingstone born 24/09/1798 baptized 04/10/1798 Tranent Parish, East Lothian or 1801 died August 21, 1875 Chesthil, Cranston Parish, Midlothian m. June 30, 1833 Newbattle Parish, Midlothian Helen Cockburn_ linked to U.S.A. David Wyse Livington and his family that lived in Scotland
Hello John (and Donald), it is amazing that multiple forum members would be connected by a single family of brothers. Donald, I appreciate the work you put into the searches and helping everyone.. John if you would like you can send me a message and I can share the limited information I have, I think I hit a road block around James and Sarah, I will have to pull out my information again and review. :) Very exciting!!!
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Hi David,

Over the years every once and while a Livingston with information that they were descended from a son of James Livingston and Elizabeth Woods of Tranent Parish, East Lothian dropped by the Forum and most recently I tried to piece them all together to get a sense of how closely related they might and refresh my memory as to which son of James Livingston and Elizabeth Woods they said they were descended from.

And best news of all for Livingstons like yourself connected to the Livingstons connected to this James livingston and Elizabeth Woods is that John's cousin Phillip Livingstone is a participant in the Familytreedna project representing this James Livingston and Elizabeth Wood Tranent Parish, East Lothian County Livingston ancestral group and has some interesting Livingston matches. It is really neat you all share a documented Livingston family connection that far back in the County of East Lothian, Scotland and glad to have helped find you and your family some new cousins.

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Hi Donald DNA update

Ronald Lindsay Livingston II, with John Livingston/Liveston b. abt 1751 Forfar as earliest known ancestor Big Y is R-FT134647

Phillip Livingstone my cousin we have traced back to Tranent is also confirmed Big Y as R-FT134647

Direct match

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Apologies for not responding to your message sooner. Thanks for keeping posted on this. That is good news and I think it suggests that that group of Fofarshire Livingtones are ancestrally connected to that old Livingston family of Tranent Livingstons and we also know that the Y DNA results were also close. In many cases you can also have somewhat similar SNP results with another Livingston but of a different subclade or Subgroup of that main SNP and also be a more distant Y DNA match with that other Livingston. But this Livingston is a relatively close Y DNA match to you as well. Not indicating a recent connection in the 1700's or 1800's or more recent, but I would think that there may have been some sort of family branch connection in the 1600's or in the centuries before that based on the Y DNA results. The fact that both of you are so relatively close in terms of genetic distance with the original Y DNA test you did I think explains why you both share the same basic SNP result you mentioned. I am not familiar with that particular SNP but if I find out anything about it I will let you know. We do at least know now that you are not only relatively close matching with the DNA testing with this Livington Forfarshire ancestry but also as might have been suspected from DNA results sharing the same principal SNP result. I think we suspected from the DNA test results there might some connection between the two of you and your lowland Tranent and his Forfarshire Livingston ancestors and the SNP results definitely I think help to confirm that suspicion. Well done. Pay attention also to any subclades or subgroups of the SNP you mentioned for you and the Fofarshire Livingston match should that info be included. They would appear as number values linked as subgroups of the SNP you mentioned for you and that of the person matching with your SNP.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Thanks Donald for the feedback. The fact that they are a direct match on the Big Y means they are from the same male line. I agree with you as it seems the 1600's is a good guess. Also Genetic Distance of 5 at 111 markers. I assume Edwin Livingstone might also be in the same grouping but not tested Big Y

111 MARKERS -
Genetic Distance
Genetic Distance 5
Ronald Lindsay Livingston II
FTDNA Tip note GEDCOM Viewer Y-DNA111 FF Big Y
John Livingston/Liveston b. abt 1751 Forfar

Genetic Distance 5
Mr. Edwin Livingstone
FTDNA Tip note Y-DNA111
James Livage of Glamis, Angusshire b abt 1675
Canadian Livingstone

Re: James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lothian

Hi John,

Just to refresh my memory and see if I have the Y111 Livingston DNA matches correct can you check this info below:
Phillip Livingston (your cousin) His Livingston Y DNA Matches at 111 markers tested Big Y R-TF134647
Ancestors James b.1763 son of Alexander Livingston and Elizabeth Hogg of Tranent Parish, East Lothian, Scotland
111-5 Ronald Lindsay Livingston Ancestor John Liveston (Livingston), b. 1790 Forfarshire, Scotland Big Y R-TF13467
111-5 Mr. Edwin Livingstone Ancestor James Livage of Glamis, Angusshire b abt 1675

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Re: James Livingston and Sarah Wood Tranent Parish, East Lothian

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Canadian Livingstone wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:49 am Hi John,

Just to refresh my memory and see if I have the Y111 Livingston DNA matches correct can you check this info below:
Phillip Livingston (your cousin) His Livingston Y DNA Matches at 111 markers tested Big Y R-TF134647
Ancestors James b.1763 son of Alexander Livingston and Elizabeth Hogg of Tranent Parish, East Lothian, Scotland
111-5 Ronald Lindsay Livingston Ancestor John Liveston (Livingston), b. 1790 Forfarshire, Scotland Big Y R-TF13467
111-5 Mr. Edwin Livingstone Ancestor James Livage of Glamis, Angusshire b abt 1675

regards,

Donald
Yes, that is correct. Be nice if we could get a Big Y test on the Edwin Livingstone sample. I would be happy to pay for it but am unable to make contact. cheers John