Duncan Livingston, Custom House Officer, Glasgow

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jae47

Duncan Livingston, Custom House Officer, Glasgow

Post by jae47 »

There is a headstone in the Cill an Alein burial ground near Aros, Isle of Mull, with the following inscription:

This stone is erected / by / Duncan Livingston / custom house officer Pt Glasgow / in remembrance of his mother / Isabella Campbell / who died 17th April 1822 aged 72 and / his sister / Flora Livingston / who died 10th October 1804 / aged 30.

I have been unable to find likely matches for these Livingstons in the Old Parish Registers indexes, or in ancestry.com trees, so thought I would post here in case someone with information or interest might encounter them. (Online trees do have a Glasgow couple named Duncan Livingston and Mary McPhail who are the correct generation, so this could be a match to the Duncan named -- but I'd want some evidence he was a customs officer.)

The names mentioned:
Isabella Campbell Livingston (1750-1822)
Duncan Livingston (born between ca. 1770 and 1795)
Flora Livingston (ca. 1774-1804)

The transcription was published in
Altera Merces: The Burial Grounds of Pennygown, Gruline, Knock, Cill an Alein in North Mull...[/i] by B. B. Whittaker (Author), 2003.
I've uploaded a headstone image to an ancestry.com tree:
https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer ... PUBJs=true

I do not know if they are related to my Livingston ancestors, but this burial ground is the nearest to Lettermore, Isle of Mull, where my ancestors lived, so it seems likely they are kin.

James
jae47

Re: Duncan Livingston, Custom House Officer, Glasgow

Post by jae47 »

Update:
In returning to Scotland's People OPR searching to double-check marriage records, I searched for ALL Isabella/Isabel/Isobel Campbells married between 1763 and 1775, and eliminated the spouse name Livngston(e), then browsed. There I did find a likely match:

CAMPBELL, ISABEL
m.
NIEL LIVINGSTON
/FR188 (FR188)
21/12/1769
524/ 10 183
Kilninver and Kilmelfort parish

So, I will continue by looking for this couple and any birth records to them.

JE
jmlivingstone

Re: Duncan Livingston, Custom House Officer, Glasgow

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi James,

I tried to send your request to Michael at Mull Families, there is a good chance he will be able to assist, unfortunately, his e-mail is down at present, I'll try again tomorrow.

FYI., Pt. (Port) Glasgow is a west of Scotland town, about 25 miles down river from the city of Glasgow, it was originally the port for Glasgow, presumably before the shipping channel from Greenock to Glasgow on the Clyde was dredged,

John.