William Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
RLivingstone

William Livingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

I am on Ancestry but cannot find anything on this gentleman, he is my paternal great grandfather. Doesn't help that his name is
pretty generic. I am currently waiting for results on a FOIA request that I submitted in early February; as of right now, the due date is early April for this request. Ancestry is giving me all kind of "hints" but I don't want to grab the wrong info and become hopeful. Below is listed what I do know:

William Livingstone
Birth: approx 1866
Death: approx 1906 or before

Wife: Mary Anna Treaster Livingstone Fuerbach (she remarried after William)
Wife was from Hannibal, Missouri
William was listed as a fireman in South Dakota
He had sons Earle, Guy, Raymond and Archie with Anna
Earle his son was born in South Dakota and later moved to and passed away in California.
Raymond was rumored to have died as a baby. Guy was my paternal grandfather and although
I don't remember him well, because he passed in 1969 in St Louis, Missouri, I have pics of us together
in the 60s.

I believe they lived in Sagammon Co, Springfield, Illinois for a time.... at least I know for sure that Anna
did. Not sure for William. Anna is buried in Springfield as well.

I recently learned from a newly discovered cousin, that Anna was to have said that William died in a railroad
accident but did not say where or when. I'm guessing he changed professions from a fireman to a railroad man
but again, that is not for sure.

Ancestry suggested that Peter Livingston and Janet Riddell from Canada were his parents but my gut is telling me to
be cautious about that info so I took it off my family tree until I can find something concrete. It was also suggested
that there was a connection to the Flax grower Livingston(e) family from Canada, which doesn't seem correct either.

I'm at a stand still with my great grandfather and its pretty discouraging actually. I am a Livingstone, with the "E" and
its important to me. Knowing these people and finding out for sure where my heritage lies is critical for me, emotionally
speaking. Its like these folks just dropped off the face of the earth for some reason! Any little tid bit of help in this
regard would be greatly appreciated.
Greg Livingston

Re: William Livingstone

Post by Greg Livingston »

You might try joining the MacLea/Livingstone/Boggs DNA project. This would help point you in the direction to continue your research. I have 2 Williams in my tree. One was born in 1840 in either PA or MO while the other in was born in 1810 and always lived in PA. I noticed when I approved you for the forum that your email address indicates a Montana connection. Could that be the Livingston that Livingston, Montana was named after? I know that he was some kind of "big wheel" for the railroad there and my GGF was one for the railroad in Missouri. There might be a connection.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
RLivingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

Hi Greg.... I'm a female and was always under the impression that all DNA studies were only interested in the males, so I have not looked into this.

Yes, I live in Montana but I'm from the midwest so there is no connection that I know of to Livingston, Montana .... would have been cool to have lived there, with my last name, but its one of the windiest places on earth. No thanx!

Interesting that your William was born about the same time and was from Missouri but I do believe mine was not born in the US. Just a gut feeling + some of the hints that I have been told by the limited number of family that I have found.

My Livingstone's didn't have any money to speak of so I discounted the hint that my William was in any way related to the flax growers from Canada.
Greg Livingston

You are correct about the DNA project, it is for the male line. If you have a male Livingston relative that you could convince to join the project that would help you.

There were a lot of Livingstons that came through Canada, New York, Pennsylvania, and the Carolinas. I have traced mine back to my 4th Great Grandfather born in SW Pennsylvania in the 1780's.

What part of the midwest was your ancestor from? That might help in digging deeper into information we already have and/or point us in the correct direction for further research.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
RLivingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

I am on Ancestry but cannot find anything on this gentleman, he is my paternal great grandfather. Doesn't help that his name is
pretty generic. I am currently waiting for results on a FOIA request that I submitted in early February; as of right now, the due date is early April for this request. Ancestry is giving me all kind of "hints" but I don't want to grab the wrong info and become hopeful. Below is listed what I do know:

William Livingstone
Birth: approx 1866
Death: approx 1906 or before

Wife: Mary Anna Treaster Livingstone Fuerbach (she remarried after William)
Wife was from Hannibal, Missouri
William was listed as a fireman in South Dakota
He had sons Earle, Guy, Raymond and Archie with Anna
Earle his son was born in South Dakota and later moved to and passed away in California.
Raymond was rumored to have died as a baby. Guy was my paternal grandfather and although
I don't remember him well, because he passed in 1969 in St Louis, Missouri, I have pics of us together
in the 60s.

I believe they lived in Sagammon Co, Springfield, Illinois for a time.... at least I know for sure that Anna
did. Not sure for William. Anna is buried in Springfield as well.

I recently learned from a newly discovered cousin, that Anna was to have said that William died in a railroad
accident but did not say where or when. I'm guessing he changed professions from a fireman to a railroad man
but again, that is not for sure.

Ancestry suggested that Peter Livingston and Janet Riddell from Canada were his parents but my gut is telling me to
be cautious about that info so I took it off my family tree until I can find something concrete. It was also suggested
that there was a connection to the Flax grower Livingston(e) family from Canada, which doesn't seem correct either.

I'm at a stand still with my great grandfather and its pretty discouraging actually. I am a Livingstone, with the "E" and
its important to me. Knowing these people and finding out for sure where my heritage lies is critical for me, emotionally
speaking. Its like these folks just dropped off the face of the earth for some reason! Any little tid bit of help in this
regard would be greatly appreciated.
RLivingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

Is it just me or does Livingston/Livingstone seem like a fairly uncommon name?

I have done DNA testing and uploaded my raw data to 2 other sites and have yet to
run into another Livingstone.
Greg Livingston

Livingston(e) is not an uncommon name. I look in the phone book for the Denver metro area and there are a lot. There are actually three Greg Livingston's in the area. Apparently there are not that many Livingstons that do the DNA testing. We have several in our project but nothing near the numbers in some of the other projects.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI R Livingstone,
Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Forum.
Sounds challenging but let me give it a try. First of all I am going to try to get a basic sense of a starting point in my search as I am not unfortunately familiar with this particular Livingston family.

Peter Livingston born abt. 1830 in Scotland married to Janet Riddle lived in 1881 in Perth North, Ontario Canada and later in 1891 in Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada. He was in the Flax business. He did indeed have a son William who was born abt.1866 in Mornington, Perth County, Ontario, Canada but he is not your ancestor William as some have been led to think. Peter's actual son William is recorded in 1881 Census in Perth County, Ontario with his parents and in the subsequent 1891 Ontario Census in Waterloo County, Ontario with his parents Peter and after they moved there. He married his first wife Maggie Fisher on Dec. 17, 1891 in Clinton, Huron County, Ontario, Canada, his second wife Rachel Dougherty in Stratford, Ontaio on Dec. 26,1898 and finally Lydia Barclay on the 10 Aug, 1904. Their son William died in 1921 in Morden Pembina Valley, Manitoba, Canada. He lived and died in Canada and never lived in the States. One of his sons born in Canada was Peter Riddell Livingston.

I checked three other William Livingstons that were born in Ontario Canada around 1865 and they were all of parents whom were born in Ireland in Scotland who would were Scotch Irish Livingstons. Your William Livingston ancestor according to his 1900 U.S Census was the son of a Livingston born in Scotland. So far I do not see anyone who could be your William Livingston in Ontario so far and also checked the earlier 1871 Canadian Census in which your ancestor I thought might also be included as a child. And again I could not locate him.

1900 U.S. Census Terraville, Lawrence County, South Dakota
William Livingston b. May 1865 Canada (Immigrated to States 1884) (married Ann Treaster 1891) (So far can not find William in 1881 Canadian Census) 1900 Census notes that William's father and mother were born in Scotland
Ann Livingston b. Nov. 1874 Missouri (Ann Treaster)
Archie Livingston b. Nov. 1894 Iowa
Raymond Livingston June 1899 South Dakota

Also Earl Fehr Livingston b. Nov. 8 1901 Lawrence County, South Dakota d. Sept 28, 1929 San Mateo, California

Guy Livingston (your grandfather) born July 12, 1904 Hannibal, Marion County, Missouri. (Did William Livingston the father die in Marion County, Missouri sometime between 1903 and 1905? Was his daughter Ethel born in 1906 in Springfield, Illinois?

Archie William Livingston born Iowa, age 21 son of William Livingston and Anna Treaster married Joan Cummings of Illinois in Detroit Michigan July 10, 1916

1.Archie W. Livingston b. Nov. 1894 in Iowa
2.Raymond Livingston b. June 1899 South Dakota
3. Earl Fehr Livingston b. Nov. 8, 1901 Lawrence County, South Dakota
4.Guy Livingston born July 12, 1904 Hannibal, Marion County, Missouri
5. Ethel Livingston born June 9, 1906 Springfield, Illinois m. Fletcher Brigham Harne ?

I assume from Anna's 1920 Census info that William died and Anna married Heny Fennerback but the question is when did William die and when did Anna marry Henry Feurbach. Her sons from her first marriage Earle born in South Dakota and Guy are indicated as being step sons of this Henry Fenerback which makes some sense. Perhaps there is surviving death record available from South Dakota or Illinois or whatever State he died in. It might even record the name of his parents but with the early 20th century death records in the U.S that is not always the case that the parents of the deceased are listed. Still if there is a death record for your ancestor William Livington it will for sure give you a death date and perhaps a good idea where he might be buried if you are looking for that information.

1920 U.S Census Springfield Township, Sangamon County, Illinois
Henry Fenerback b. 1884 Indiana (should probably be Feuerback)
Anna Fenerback b. 1874 Missouri (Anna Treaster?)
Earle Livingston step-son b. 1901 South Dakota
Guy L. Livingston step-son b.1904 Missouri
Ethel Fenerback dau. born abt. 1907 Illinois (1906)
Dorothy Fenerback dau. born 1914 Illinois
Anna Feurbach maiden name Treaster born Nov. 18, 1873 Marion County, Missouri
died Mary 14, 1952 Springfield Sangamon County, Illinois Oak Ridge Cemetery
Parents: Andew Treaster and Nanette

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

HI RI Livingstone,
The 1920 Census info for Anna and her second husband Henry Feuerbach is interesting in that it refers to her daughter Ethel born in 1906 in Illinois as a Feuerbach while her slightly older siblings are referred to as Livingstons. I am wondering if Ethel might actually be a daughter of Henry Feuerbach but given the distance in age between Ethel and the next child Dorothy born in 1914 perhaps Ethel was born in 1906 to William Livingston he died sometime after that and then his widow Anna Treaster then married Henry Feuerbach and raised Anna's youngest child as a Feuerbach while William's sons Earle and Guy retained their father's name of Livingstone. Dorothy born years later around 1914 I would assume was a Feuerbach child the daughter of Anna and her second husband Henry Auerbach. I notice a descendant of Ethel Livingston and her husband Fletcher Brigham Harne is referring to her as a Livingston and not a Feuerbach and born in Springfield, Illinois.

1920 U.S Census Springfield Township, Sangamon, Illinois
Henry Fenerback b. 1884 Indiana (should probably be Feuerback)
Anna Fenerback b. 1874 Missouri (Anna Treaster?)
Earle Livingston step-son b. 1901 South Dakota
Guy L. Livingston step-son b.1904 Missouri

Ethel Fenerback dau. born abt. 1907 Illinois (1906)
Dorothy Fenerback dau. born 1914 Illinois

I see why one has to consider the possibility that your ancestor William Livingston and his wife Anna moved to Springfield, Illinois and were living there possibly at the time of his railroad related accident perhaps sometime after this daughter Ethel was born. If so then that probably narrows down the possible death location of William as being Illinois or perhaps South Dakota. So Ethel Feuerbach was William Livingston's youngest child and Dorothy was a actually a daughter of Anna and Henry Feuerbach then that probably means William died sometime between 1906 and 1914. As I don't see William in the 1910 Census that perhaps he died before 1910 and after 1906 in Illinois.

Another interpretation of the 1920 Census info of Henry and Anna Fenerback (Feurebach) based on how the info is recorded could also be that Earle and your grandfather Guy Livingston are step-sons and both Ethel born abt. 1907 (1906 actually) is actually a daughter and not a step daughter of Henry Feurebach and his wife Anna. As mentioned one descendant of Ethel is referring to her as Livingston but when I look a couple records later in the 1920's Ethel is referred to in Springfield, Illinois apparently legally as Miss Ethel Feurebach. Perhaps William Livingston was her father and a in her youth she took on the name of her Step father and Earl and Guy did not? Anyways at least in the 1920's Ethel seems to be referring to herself as a Feurebach and not a Livingston and the 1920 Census refers to her as a daughter and stepdaughter of Henry Feurbach. I am going to see if I can sort of this confusion if possible. Ethel passed away I think in the 1990's so it may be possible to verify for certain whether she was William Livingston's daughter of Henry Feurbach's daughter. It looks like at one descendant of Ethel is indicating she is actually the daughter of William Livingston. The 1920 Census and Ethel's info later in the 1920's however does not refer to her as being a Livingston, though she may well turn out to be. I will see if can clarify this.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi R Livingston,

I was I think able to prove that Ethel was very likely William Livingston's daughter and sort out any confusion from the 1920 Census actually from a 1927 Springfield Directory which clearly refers to Ethel and Ethel Livingston of Calhoun Avenue, Springfield, Illinois. She is referred to as Ethel Fennerback in the 1920 Census residing in Springfield, Illinois the street is also listed as Calhoun Avenue so Ethel Fennerback is infact Ethel Livingston just before her marriage to Fletcher Harne. In 1928 Ethel Livingston is Ethel Harne residing in Ottawa, Illinois with her husband Fletcher Harne. So I think the 1927 Springfield Directory clarifies what the 1920 Census did not regarding Ethel being the daughter of your ancestor William Livingston.

Taking another look at the 1920 Census there is yet another element of confusion I noticed worth noting that you may also be familiar with. While the 1900 Census for William Livingston and his wife Anna indicates that William Livingston of Lawrence County, South Dakota was born in Canada, the 1920 Census at the Henry Fenerback household in Springfield, Illinois states that his step-son's Earle and Guy Livingston's father was born in Scotland rather than Canada. Also not only is Ethel referred to as Ethel Fennerback rather than Livingston unlike her two older brothers her father is recorded as Henry Fennerback born in Indianna and his wife Anna of Missouri. This may have an error by the census taker as a few years later as mentioned Ethel still living at the Fennerback residence on Calhoun St. in Springfield a directory is referred to as being Ethel Livingston.
And as mentioned Henry Fennerback's step son's Earle Livingston and his brother Guy are said to be the sons of a Father born in Scotland. The 1900 Census the only U.S Census I could find that includes your ancestor William Livingston, states that he was born in Canada and came to America in 1884. So the question becomes was Guy and Earle's father William Livingston born in Canada or born in Scotland perhaps living in Canada for a time with his parents also from Scotland and then he moved to the U.S. in 1884. Without some additional Census info for your ancestor William Livingston and with this existing census confusion it does present a challenge to researching William Livingston. His parents according to his 1900 Census were born in Scotland and I have a feeling that the 1900 Census may be accurate as it does not state that William originated in Canada but gives a precise year when he arrived in America from Canada. I think it more likely what was meant in the 1920 Census was that Earle and Guy's father's family heritage was Scottish as his own parents were apparently Scottish born and that perhaps not get properly conveyed to the Census taker in Springfield Illinois in 1920.

regards,

Donald