Mary Livingston and Duncan McCorquidale

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Mary Livingston and Duncan McCorquidale

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Sharon,

I think this old Ordnance Survey map include the location of the the Annat Church ruins and burial ground near the StrathAppin area. Towards the bottom of the Map where Strath of Appin appears there is nearby Strathappin and Tynnribbie. Little north of Tynnribbie there is old church and burial site which has no name on the map but I was wondering if this might be the location of the Annat Church grave yard where your ancestor John Livingston 1771-1832 is buried. Just a question of whether the church marked north of Tynnribbie is the Tynnribbie Church or is the older Annat Church and graveyard nearer to the settler at Strathappin. The info seems to indicate it is in the Strathappin area. Anyways Strathappin is on this map to give you a sense of the general location where the Annat Church ruins and graveyard should be.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74427344

regards,

Donald
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Donald,
This is now an old graveyard of great significance as here rests the Memorial Stone of the Appin Regiment commemorating those that fell at Culloden.

This link shows the location. https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-ceme ... hurchyard/ It is just off the Oban to Ballachulish Road near the Kinlochlaich Garden Centre.

This link gives more photos: https://blosslynspage.wordpress.com/201 ... -scotland/.

This link gives the history of the Annat Church. http://oldappin.com/annat-church/#:~:te ... galleries.

Regards

Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Baron,

Thanks for that info. I was not clear from some earlier info regarding the Annat Church ruins I found online as to whether or not the ruins of the Annan Church and the graveyard where the gravestone John Livingston 1771-1832 was in another location from the Appin graveyard where the Culloden memorial to the Appin Stewart Regiment is situated. If I understand correctly then old Annat Church ruins and graves including that of John Livingston are in the Appin graveyard where that Appin Stewart Regiment memorial is located.

regards,

Donald
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I think so Donald. It is not entirely clear from those links I posted.

N
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Baron,
It was fortunate for Sharon, researching her Livingston ancestor, that an Appin area historian had information in his book on page 76 regarding the gravestone of John Livingstone of Duror Parish who died in 1832 which was located in old Annat Church yard. A lucky find as grave stones of this age of Livingston tenants from the early 19th century are not so easily found these days. It sounds like may be still in relatively good condition and perhaps someone in Western Argyllshire could help locate this graveyard and take a photo of this gravestone sometime in the future.

http://orapweb.rcahms.gov.uk/wp/00/WP000358.pdf

In the case of my own Morvern Parish Livingstone kin it is known that in the 19th century and probably before that a good number of Morvern Livingstons were buried in old Kilcolmkill (Keil) Cemetery in Morvern Parish but only a few Livingstone gravestones survive in that old cemetery today. The table tomb of the parents of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern is the the oldest surviving one.

My Livingstone cousin's Y DNA testing at 67 markers indicates he is one marker short of a perfect genetic match with a Livingstone descendant of John Livingstone of Killundine, Morvern who settled in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1820's. My Livingstone cousin and my ancestor Miles Livingston a Morvern native according to his Argyllshire marriage record, who settled in 1812 in British North America (Western Canada) I suspect is somehow related to Maclea Livingstone families that resided in the early 1800's and likely before that in Killundine and other settlements along the Morvern coast. Interesting a Miles Livingston is a parent to child born in the early 1800's at Kilundine according to the Morvern Parish records in 1812, but this may be perhaps a cousin as my ancestor Miles Livingston married in June of 1812 in Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish while travelling on the Schooner Staffa for Sligo, Ireland to board a Hudson's Bay Company vessel chartered by Lord Selkirk for Miles Livingston boat builder and other hired personnel and colonist recruited by Lord Selkirk's highland agents for his Selkirk's new colony at Red River in Hudson's Bay Territory in what is today in Manitoba, Western Canada.

My Livingstone cousin is also matching with other Livingstones of known Morvern Livingstone ancestry and is 3 markers short of a perfect genetic match with a Livingston descendant of Ewen (Hugh) Livingstone of Savary Morvern (See 1779 Argyll Census) a brother of Donald Livingstone (1728-1826) of Savary, Morvern who as a young man enlisted in the Jacobite Appin Stewart Regiment commanded by Charles Stewart of Ardsheil an ardent supporter of Bonnie Prince Charlie and participated in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 and was at the Battle of Culloden in April of 1746.

The Y DNA tested descendant of Donald Livingtone's brother Ewen (Hugh) Livingstone of Savary, Morvern is descended from Ewen's grandson or great-grandson Hugh Livingston a tenant farmer located near Savary, Morvern at neighbouring Achabeg and who died sometime between 1846 and 1849 during a time of potato crop failure, hardship, famine and sickness for inhabitants of Morvern and neighbouring Mull. In 1849 having been removed from Achabeg near Savary, Hugh's widow (Euphemia Campbell) was by this time residing in impoverished conditions in Lochaline, Morvern with her children. Early that year, surviving information indicates that widow Euphemia Livingston petitioned the Board of Supervision regarding financial assistance and her petition was considered by a board and her situation later that year deemed to be warranting additional financial assistance. A number of impoverished Morvern Parish Livingston families ended up in Lochaline, Morvern in latter part of the 19th century, I have noticed.

Later in 1851 Euphemia Livingston and her children left Lochaline Morvern and she and her family settled with other Livingston family members in Scioto County, Ohio, USA. This Livingstone family was related to Angus Livingston of Morvern Parish who had earlier settled in Scioto County, Ohio and was the father of Ohio Lawyer Duncan Livingston and Morvern Livingston historian who wrote an article in 1890's in the Celtic Monthly on the Appin Regiment at Culloden in 1746 which focused in part on Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern and mentions Ewen Livingston and his own family connection to the Savary, Morvern Livingstons and elderly children of Donald's brother Ewen that settled in Ohio and New York State in first part of the 1800's whom Ohio family historian Duncan Livingston stated were the source of his information on old Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern for his article in the Celtic Monthly years later. Duncan was able to gather valuable information on the old Savary, Morvern Livingstons of which his Livingston family was connected including info regarding Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary sourced from the first hand accounts of two elderly nieces and a nephew and other Morvern Livingston kin who had settled in America and had spent time in their youth with Donald Livingstone and became familiar with the stories he told regarding his life and that of his Morvern Livingston family.

regards,

Donald