Mary Livingston and Duncan McCorquidale

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Mary Livingston and Duncan McCorquidale

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Sharon,

The National Library of Scotland have a collection of maps of Argyllshire including Ordnance Survey Maps including a Thompson map circa 1824 that includes Ardnaclach and Loch Creran and Acharra. The library is closed during the Covid crisis and map repro services are not currently available but one can still purchase a digital copy from the Library online of the most maps from their extensive collection. Here are two 19th century maps from the National Library of Scotland collection which include your ancestral area in Argyllshire.

1824 Thompson Map of Northern Argyllshire from John Thomson's 1832 Atlas of Scotland
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400146
with Ardnaclach, Loch Creran and Archarra

1877 Ordnance Survey Map Sheet no.
With North and South Cuil and Acharra and location of the nearby Duror church and minister's parsonage
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74490355

regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Sharon,

Took a closer look at the 1861 Census record info for Dorothy Livingston and Daniel (Donald) Livingston Surgeon. Dorothy is actually located with some of the children of her sister actually in a village Appin Parish which I struggling with the actual spelling. Her brother Daniel (Donald) Livingston surgeon is as previously stated located the main householder of a 100 acre farm. No. at Acharra in Duror Parish.

Here is what I mentioned previously regarding your Livingston kin in Archarra, Duror
Note: Interestingly, years later according to the 1861 Census following the death of your ancestor Mary Livingston and her husband Duncan Mccorquodale in 1857 Dorothy Livingston probably their Aunt is looking after the younger children of her late younger sister Mary Livingston and her husband Duncan McCorquodale.

1861 Census Achanagain Acharagan Achoragain (Achosregan east of Portnacroish, Appin Ordnance 1871 Survey Map Pub.1875)
In Appin Parish)
Dorothy Livingston age 60
Cathrine McCorquodale age 21
Mary McCorquodale age 12
Hugh McCorquodale age 10 (Hugh went to Canada in 1911?)
Dugald McCorquodale age 7

1861 Census Parish Acharra Duror
Daniel (Donald) Livingston Practitioner and Farmer age 60 b. Appin Argyll Often in Scottish records Donald is referred to as Daniel
Acharra farm no. 1
farm of 100 acres employing 2 men and 2 women
wife Mary Livington age 39 born Glenorchy, Argyll referred to this census record as a "Surgeon's wife"

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,

Important Updates regarding your Livington kin. A major research breakthrough. I noticed earlier in the week that it appeared to be an "Archie Livingston brother" listed as the informant on the 1869 death record of Dorothy Livingston but I had not proof that she had a brother Archibald Livingston in addition to Donald or Daniel Livingston of Archarra, Duror Parish. I checked the original 1861 Census document and to my surprise residing beside Daniel (Donald) Livingston was his brother an Archibald Livingston age 55 with his wife and family. I then checked for a later death record for this Archibald Livingston to confirm that he was actually his brother and not a cousin possibly and sure enough Archibald's death was found and confirmed he is indeed a son of John Livingston and Marjory Campbell. At the same time i tried again to locate Donald Livingston's death record this time searching for a Daniel Livingston in Duror Parish and sure enough I found his death record as well which also confirmed that this Daniel alias Donald LIvlingston was for certain a son of John Livingston and Majory Campbell.

The only marriage record for a Donald Livingston that might be Mary's brother was one I noticed which took place in 1838 between a Donald Livingston of Duror and a Mary Livingston. I don't know however if that is the Donald Livingston brother of your Livingston ancestor. A wife of Donald Livingston does not appear in the 1841 or 1851 census and I only found her in the 1861 Census residing with Daniel (Donald) Livingston one of the larger farm situated at Acharra Duror where we know that your Duncan McCorquodale- Mary Livingston family was located in that area of Duror in the 1840's and 1850's. I don't have detailed information from the 1861 census record that indicates whether Daniel (Donald) Livingston of Acharra farm in 1861 was the proprietor or non proprietor. I would think he more than likely leased or rented the land from the one of the wealthy land owners in the area and hired some local tenants to help him maintain the farm and harvest the crops. It unusual in Western Argyllshire at this time for local people to lease or rent such a large piece of property so I am little surprised. I doubt very much that he purchased that large farm situated at Acharra in the mid 1800's, but I really don't know for certain what the deal was there. Virtually all of the Livingstons residing in Western Argyllshire in the mid 1800's and before that with the exception of Baron Livingstone at Bachuil, Lismore were tenants as far as I know. Land reform was a long time coming.
Death records kept by the parish ministers I have found to be almost non existent in parishes in Western Argyllshire in the first half of the 1800's and prior to that in the 1700's. Virtually all the death info I find for 19th century Argyllshire Livingstons is found in registered death information from 1855 in the Scottish records. So I really can't shed any insight into when precisely John Livingston husband of Marjory Campbell died nor any info as to who John Livingston's parents were which I realize is one of things you are hoping to find in your research efforts.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Sharon McC

Post by Sharon McC »

Hi Donald,

What an amazing breakthrough! I have added all of the information you have shared to my family tree.

I looked at the Ancestry census records for Margaret Livingston, daughter of Archibald Livingston and Janet McKenzie, and the 1861 census mention that she was born in Dunoon. I found an Ancestry baptism record for 21 Jul 1838 • Dunoon and Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland. The 1851 census lists Margaret as a house servant at the house in Glasgow…I wonder if this is a mistake as she is 12 and her mother, father and brother are listed as visitors...and then she is back under their roof in the 1861 census.

Regarding Donald/Daniel Livingston marrying Mary Campbell 16 Mar 1848 • Lismore, Argyll, Scotland --- I wonder if this is the same Mary listed as an “independent” on the 1841 census at Duncan Colquhouse [Colquhoun]’s --- part of that large group.

I found a very interesting paper called CUIL A HISTORY AND A SURVEY (http://orapweb.rcahms.gov.uk/wp/00/WP000358.pdf) by Neill Malcolm (2012). Page 76 mentions the likely burial location of John Livingston, father of Mary, Donald/Daniel, Dorothy and Archibald!
Annat Old Churchyard, Strathappin.
John Livingston, road contractor and tenant at Cuil, died 24.7.1832 aged 61 yrs
Spouse Marjory Campbell - by son Dr. Livingston, Appin, 1837

I’ve been in touch with Dr. Neill Malcolm and he has offered to see if he has additional information. Like you, he has kindly shared research findings pertaining to the Livingston’s that may be connected to my family from Duror. I will spend some time pouring over everything and seeing what other connections may be uncovered!

Thanks for all your help, Donald!

Kind regards,
Sharon
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,
1832. Fantastic. Well glad I was leading you in the right direction regarding John Livingston very likely passing away before 1834 in Duror, but it looks like you didn't need any assistance from the Forum finding out when your ancestor John Livingston died and where he was buried. Great family history sleuthing on your part finding that Cuil history and what incredible luck that the author noted the existence of your ancestor's tombstone including all the details regarding the gravestone. How wonderful that your Livingston ancestor's gravestone have survived all these years and that you have found it. In all my years of being involved with Clan Maclea Livingstone Forum this is one of very few times that family researchers who have contacted the forum from North America have been able to locate their Livingston ancestor's gravestone in Scotland. Just doesn't happen that often. I assume then that is still very legible which is not always the case with gravestones that date that early in the 1800's. This is wonderful news. I would think you should be able to get a photo of that amazing gravestone without too much trouble either from the Author or from other local family historians in the Duror/Appin area. I am sure some of the locals will be interested in your family history quest and in your Livingston/Mccorquodale family connection to the area. This Author seems to really be well informed about Cuil and no doubt the neighbouring area as well.

It is regrettable that your ancestor John Livingston died in 1832 and did not live to 1855 or later when there would be a very good chance that his registered death record would include the name of his Father and Mother. I looked for it, but it became clear that your ancestor John Livingston could not be found in the death records.

I wonder if John Livingston's gravestone was made of local slate. Some of the world's finest slate they say came from the slate quarries of nearby Ballachuilish and I learned from own research and from a some descendants related to quarry workers who worked in Ballachuilish in the 19th century that a significant number of Maclea-Livingstone's of Western Argyllshire found steady employment at the quarries of Laroch, Ballachulish.

You are fortunate that so many of these records pertaining to your Livingston family exist and that from them one is able to get a a pretty good sense of your ancestor Mary Livingston's family in Duror and Appin in the 19th century. That is not always the case. If you some day go on a trip to Scotland and visit the Duror area it will be like returning home to the neighbourhood of your Livingston ancestors and you'll be walking where they once walked.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,

You may probably have already figured this out. My brain is bit slow these days due to my chronic allergies.There are no Colquohouse's or Colquhoun's as stated in another source residing with Donald, Dorothy and mother Marjory Livingston at Cuil in 1841. Very certain of this. The original handwritten first page of the Cuil District information in the 1841 Census the census taker's handwriting is actually quite legible (I've seen worse) and I have no doubt it states the family name as Mccorquodale as in Duncan McCorquodale, Mary McCorquodale, John McCorquodale, Cathrine McCorquodale and there is also a Marjory McCorquodale listed in this group which would be your McCorquodale Kin. Looks to me like secondary source transcription error that I came across as well that mentioned Duncan McCorquodale and family and was inaccurately transcribed as the Colquohouse family. So not Colquohouse or Colquhoun. I frequently come across these kind of transcription errors. 100 percent certain that this family group residing with Donald, Dorothy and mother Marjory Livingston is your ancestors Duncan McCorquodale his wife Mary and their oldest children at the time of the 1841 Census and not the Duncan McColquohouse family. The McCorquodale name including the dale in the handwritten original record is quite obvious to me and I would think to most people that were looking at an online image of the original document as I did the other day.

Looked this time at the original hand written transcription of the first page of Cuil District Duror Parish 1841 Census info. It becomes much clearer to me the family grouping here on this page than in the original version of the 1841 Census i was earlier working with. There are number of interesting things that show up with the original order of persons in the original transcription which I had not seen before tonight.

I know of no family connection of Donald, Marjory and Dorothy Livingston with these "other Livingstons living beside them at Cuil which are that of Malcolm Livingston age 55 and this John Livingstone age 67 and his wife Mary, but perhaps there is some more distant family connection. It is entirely conceivable that some other Livingston families in Duror and in neighbouring Appin, in Lismore and Ballachulish for example could be related to your Livingston family. Many Western Argyllshire Maclea Livingstone's share a distant ancestry with other or are more closely related but there are some Livingston families of Western Argyllshire origins that do not share same paternal ancestry. The only real option without detailed records linking these families in the 18th century with a shared ancestry as mentioned someday is finding a Livingston cousin to do the Y DNA test as I mentioned but that is not may not be possible if current Livingston descendants of your Livingston family group can't be found. It is interesting to discover that these two "other Livingstons are living in very close proximity at Cuil next to your Livington family group and all censused together and show up on one page. Whether that is just a coincidence or your Livingston family is related in some way to other Livingstons located at Cuil is ultimately difficult to determine.

You are absolutely right that Dr. Daniel Livingston married Mary Campbell in 1848 in Appin and Lismore Parish Important to note in the original parish 1848 Church of Scotland Lismore and Appin Parish page it gives the date firstly of what is probably the earlier date of their marriage proclamation and then I noticed in the next line it mentioned that Dr. Daniel Livngston of Duror and Mary Campbell were married a few days later on May 16, 1848. I did not notice that until I looked at a copy of the original 1848 Lismore and Appin Parish book and the handwritten original page. It contains clearly the two dates in May of 1848 it should be noted.

A wife of Donald Livingston does not appear in the 1841 or 1851 census and I only found her in the 1861 Census residing with Daniel (Donald) Livingston one of the larger farm situated at Acharra Duror where we know that your Duncan McCorquodale- Mary Livingston family was located in that area of Duror in the 1840's and 1850's. I don't have detailed information from the 1861 census record that indicates whether Daniel (Donald) Livingston of Acharra farm in 1861 was the proprietor or non proprietor. I would think he more than likely leased or rented the land from the one of the wealthy land owners in the area and hired some local tenants to help him maintain the farm and harvest the crops. It unusual in Western Argyllshire at this time for local people to lease or rent such a large piece of property so I am little surprised. I doubt very much that he purchased that large farm situated at Acharra in the mid 1800's, but I really don't know for certain what the deal was there. Virtually all of the Livingstons residing in Western Argyllshire in the mid 1800's and before that with the exception of Baron Livingstone at Bachuil, Lismore were tenants as far as I know. Land reform was a long time coming.
Sharon McC

Post by Sharon McC »

Hi Donald,

As always, thank you for sharing all of this detailed information about my ancestral Livingston/McCorquodale family!

Hopefully one day I will see a picture of John Livingston’s grave and also very well walk in the footsteps of my ancestors. I did visit Scotland in 2010 and came close to Duror and Lismore…but not quite!

It frustrates me to learn there is a transcription error on the 2nd/3rd party Ancestry record about from the 1841 census pertaining to Colquohouse's or Colquhoun's & my McCorquodale and Livingston ancestors (would Ancestry be open to correcting this?). Thank you for bringing this to light…it answers many questions and allows others to be put aside.

(Btw, I may have a Colquhoun/Calhoun connection from the Lismore area…a generation or two back further…but have not been able to find the facts yet…just Ancestry family trees, lol…without supporting documents/etc…but I always wonder where the original details came from.)

It would be very interesting to learn if my Duror Livingston(e) ancestors have any connections to the other Livingston(e)’s living in Duror in 1841 and on. I hope this is ok to ask…to the other forum members and viewers of this thread, do you have any information to share?

Donald, from researching your mom’s great-uncle who studied medicine at the University of Glasgow, do you know if the university would have any publicly available archives (on request) about people who studied at the university in the 1800s? I ask as Dr. Malcolm has discovered that Donald/Daniel Livingston was a Licentiate of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.

Donald, very grateful for your help and sharing your knowledge and research!

Best,

Sharon
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Amazing Detective Work!
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,

Ancestry com Ancestry.co.uk is a truly amazing source for tons of family research info for the genealogist but occasionally there are some transcription errors of copied original Scottish census records for example and quite frequently I find family tree submissions errors that they can't really help but end up creating some confusion for family researchers who are relying on the accuracy of family tree info of others.
I think you can contact them about errors. I have never done it though and am not certain what the process would be .With that transcribed 1841 Census with Daniel/Donald Livingston and large crowd of other relatives and Livingstons I think beside where the incorrect name I mentioned Colquhoun or some strange of variation of that name I think there is a place when get the individual persons info on your screen where can one by one go through the list of Coquohouns and leave a brief not inform them that the Coguohoun or where ever your relatives were written up as should actually be Corquodale. Anyways I think there a place where they mention your can type a brief note on a misspelled or incorrect name and hopefully you can find that next time you go to ancestry.co.uk.

Not sure really what the University of Glasgow has in its Archives. I would imagine quite a lot regarding some of it's past students. In addition to your ancestor's older brother Dr. Daniel (Donald) Livingston of Acharra, Duror Parish, Argyll another Livington of some note who attended the University of Glasgow was Dr. David Livingstone who graduated in 1840 before heading off to Africa.

I found information regarding my Mom's great Uncle and his medical studies in the 1850's at the University of Glasgow just prior to the Crimean War, from old British Newspapers from the 1850's that were available on line, but I don't subscribe to those online British newspaper services anymore. Also found information on his military career in this newspaper collection which quite surprised me. I thought I was limited the British Military archives which also proved to be quite helpful. I never thought of contacting the University of Glasgow as amazingly the results of my Mom's great Uncle's schooling and his exam results as a medical student were published in some of those British newspapers when I did my search several years ago now. He apparently did quite well while at the University of Glasgow according to the newspaper info with his exams and very soon after his graduation in 1854 was recruited as an Asst. Surgeon into the 97th Regiment of Foot which was involved in the some of the major battles in Crimea including the Battle of Redan for which he later received a couple of medals.

It could be that one of these online British Newspaper sites where you can search for an ancestor's information might mention Daniel alias Donald Livingston regarding his earlier and later connections with the University of Glasgow and Doctors of Glasgow. Sometimes it is just searching and searching and you find nothing or else you hit a goldmine of newspaper info so there aren't any guarantees you'll find anything and then there is a monthly fee for this service. I think your idea of contacting the Glasgow University about their archives collection might be a better option.

regards.

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Sharon,
I would imagine the University of Glasgow which has been around since 1451 might have some records pertaining to Dr. Daniel (Donald) Livingston of Archarra, Duror Parish, Argyll regarding his medical studies and affiliation with the University.
The University of Glasgow Archives like many Archives during the Covid Crisis are closed to the public I believe, so may have to wait a while for full access to their records, but you can still contact the Archives and make an enquiry.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/archive ... t/enquiry/

regards,

Donald