John Livingstone of Listowel, Ontario

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jae47

John Livingstone of Listowel, Ontario

Post by jae47 »

This article from the Perth-Stratford Archives (Ontario, Canada) came out yesterday in the Stratford Beacon Herald:
https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/o ... m-listowel

I don't think there's any new genealogical information to be found here, but the article features the family Bible of John Livingstone, brother of Dr. David Livingstone, and lists John's children and their birth years. (John has been discussed elsewhere in this forum in connection with his prior years in Lanark County, Ontario, and is relations in Dalhousie Township, Lanark Co.)

For those that may be searching this forum, here is an excerpt from the article, with names in the family:

... the Livingstone family Bible originally belonged to the Livingstone family of Listowel – John Livingstone (1811-1899), to be exact, who was the older brother of famous explorer Dr. David Livingstone (1813-1873). The hardcover Bible is quite large. It was published in Glasgow, Scotland, and the title on the spine is “The Family Bible.” Some pages contain pressed flowers or small notes correcting the text. The most interesting page in the book is the family registry page. It appears that John or his wife Sarah filled in the names and birth dates of their 11 children. The names and dates are as follows: Neil Livingstone, born July 4,1835; Harriot Livingston, born Feb. 13, 1837; Janette Livingstone, born Dec. 22, 1838; Harriot Livingstone, born May 13, 1841; David Livingstone, born April 4, 1843; Agnes Livingstone, born Jan. 30, 1845; Henry Drummond Livingstone, born April 20, 1847; Sarah Livingstone, born April 4, 1849; John Livingstone, born Feb. 4, 1852; Charles Livingstone, born Nov. 24, 1853; and Robert McKenzie Livingstone, born May 3, 1857.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Livingstone of Listowel, Ontario

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi James,

I will ask about this John Livingstone Sr. family bible and this bible page with John's descendant. I don't think it was mentioned to me by him over the years. I will see what he has to say. The fact that the bible originated and was in fact published in Glasgow, Scotland certainly suggests the scenario that John Livingston and his wife Mary may have received this family bible as a wedding present like many other Scottish couples did. They were married in 1835 in Gorbals in the Glasgow area. Or perhaps they acquired it themselves before they Scotland in the early 1840's for Canada. I see in the article no mention of when the bible was published or if one exists. Also the birth dates and names of the children from Neil the eldest to Robert the youngest are consistent with what I know of the birth dates and names of John Livingstone Sr. and Sarah McKenzie's children.

Thanks again so much James for sharing this information and excited to learn that someone in 1988 donated this family bible to the Stratford Perth Archives.

regards,

Donald Livingstone Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone