The Lowland Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Bruce

The Lowland Livingstons

Post by Bruce »

The Lowland Livingstons
The term "highland Livingstone" is used in order to distinguish Maclea clan Livingstones from the many lowland families who carry the same surname. Most famously, there was a very powerful aristocratic Livingston family. The West Lothian town of Livingston, and the aristocratic lowland family, both take their name from a Dark Ages figure named Leving (Latin "Livingus"). He could conceivably have been a Gaelic speaker, but the leading theory now is that he was an Anglo Saxon or Continental (Fleming, Frank, Norman, or even Hungarian), who possibly arrived in Scotland with queen Margaret, wife of Malcolm Canmore.

This fascinating article from Highland Papers, Vol. IV, 1296 to 1752, third Series, Scottish History Society, pages 94 to 103 suggests a strong bond, if not an actual relationship between the Highland and the Lowland families.

What is or hath been the occasion of this, I cannot well tell, but it is very ordinary for the 'Livingstons' in the low Country to be very kind to the 'McLeas', and to reckon themselves to have come of the 'McLeas' in the Highlands, and it is alledged upon the Highlanders that for ordinary they have two names, as the McLea's have -- that of 'McLea' in the Highlands, and 'Livingston' in the low country. I remember to have seen one Malcolm McLea who at that time was called Callum Dall and begging, and who had been a Soldier at the battle of Philliphaugh where the Highlanders were defeat, and he being wounded and coming to the Callander, near Falkirk, as he was stragling homeward to the Highlands and begging, and being required what name he was of, answered that he was of the name of McLea; upon which the then Lord Callender (10) who also was Earl of Linlithgow and Livingston, ordered a Surgeon to be sent for from Falkirk, and he to be taken care of at the Callander and kept there for three-quarters of a year, until his wound was cured, and then sent him home to the Highlands and called his son, the then Lord Callander and Linlithgow, and told him that tho' their family at that time made a figure in the world, and that tho' the McLea's in the Highlands made no great figure there, yet that their family were descended of the McLea's in the Highlands, and that at whatever place he met with any of the name of McLea that he should always reckon them as his own name, Livingston, and that he should be kind to them.
One theory about the first usage of this surname is, in the words of Sir Ian Moncreiffe, in "The Highland Clans":-

James Livingston of Skirling apparently resided for a while at Achandun Castle on Lismore; and it was probably at this time that the Macleays adopted his surname. Since he was their then overlord, this was perfectly proper by Highland practice, and it had the advantage of being a neutral but powerful Lowland name that tactfully prevented them from having to choose otherwise between the three great Lorn surnames of Campbell, Stewart and MacDougall. So the little sacred clan of Macleays on Lismore became Livingstones.
This theory puts the first tentative use of the Livingston surname by the clan around the time of the Dunavertie or Dunaverty massacre. It may well have been helped along by political convenience (allying with this lowland power may have helped the clan avoid having to take sides in the often brutal conflicts of the major clans of the region) as well as folk-etymology. To see how, note that the Gaelic name of the town Livingston is "Baile Dhun Leibhe" while the traditional name of the clan is Mac Dhunnleibhe. In this translation, the celtic word "dun" is correctly being seen as an equivalent to the Anglo-Saxon word "ton" (town). Presumably someone went one step further and decided that either the Mac Dhunnleibhes came from this city or Baile called Dhun Leibhe, or that the town had been founded by one of their clan, perhaps their founder?

In the 18th and 19th centuries, use of the Livingstone surname became more dominant within the clan, having originally been a surname only used when travelling in English speaking territories (like Glasgow or Edinburgh). For example it is used by the current Barons of the Bachuil, perhaps leading the way for all clan members still living near Lismore.

Before the change to Livingstone, the surname Maclea was more dominant, and in even older documents MacOnlea is seen. It should be kept in mind that by the time Livingstone had become a popular, many highlanders had emigrated to America, England, lowland Scotland and Ireland, which is how the old forms of the name have been preserved in many families
Canadian Livingstone

Re: The Lowland Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Bruce,
I very much appreciate the effort and research that has obviously gone into your very detailed account of the Livingstons which you are kindly sharing with our Clan Forum. The 18th century published Maclea account is one which our Clan has found of great interest in the past as it it somewhat rare and unique and of course because it briefly mentioned our highland Macleas. The mention in that 18th century account of Scottish Macleas of close ties with lowland Livingstons in the 1600's was also of interest some years ago now when our clan group became first familiarized with that very rare document. No doubt there is much that we don't know about the historic past of Clan Maclea Livingstone to be sure. That I think has been one of my biggest challenges and why my focus has been to try to find out more as well as to try and verify what has been stated regarding our clan in previous centuries. Early on for the first time I soon learned myself from Baron Livingstone and his American cousin the late Rob Livingstone, who made this Forum happen about 20 years ago, some interesting details regarding this most ancient Western Argyllshire clan who in more recent times in their history began to refer to themselves as Livingston or Livingstone.

To be honest I don't know of any family connection between the prominent and affluent lowland Callendar Livingstons and our gaelic speaking ancestors of likely ancient Irish Dalriada origins who struggled in Western Argyllshire for the most part as impoverished tenant farmers barely able to provide for their families and eventually as in the case of my own Morvern Maclea Livingstone kin were cleared from their land and replaced by sheep.

To be sure there have been a few interesting accounts of possible interactions in past centuries with Highland Macleas but there is not very little information on these interactions and not a whole lot to work with. I think it very unlikely that the "Leving" you mention possibly of Hungarian origin brought to lowland Scotland by Queen Margaret? in the early middle ages was a gaelic speaker or of Scottish ancestry. Very little is known about him when I searching for info on in the past but from I could gather he was sort of European nobleman apparently of Hungarian origin but I cannot claim to be expert on his origins. Robert Sewell was probably one of the best Callendar Livingston experts around back in the days when I first starting learning a little bit about lowland Livingtons. Some years ago now I managed to get a hard to find beautiful used copy of E.B. Livingstone's book on the Livingstone's of Callendar and the various family branches. He must have spent a good part of his lifetime researching and putting that truly amazing book together. Required reading I would think for any one out there like yourself interested in exploring their possible family connection to the old Callendar Livingston family and it's many branches. Abe's Books is great source for locating rare hard to find out of print books from the independent book dealers world wide. I highly recommend them. I have used them for many years now for my own large history and vintage book collection.

One family group in America thought to be connected to the old Callendar Livingston family would be the present day Livingstones in America today with roots in New York State who are descendants of Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor who in the late 1600's acquired a large tract of land when all of New York was a part of Colonial America. Robert Livingstone's father was a Scottish minister in lowland Scotland who on account of his political views was compelled to flee his residence in lowland Scotland and seek sanctuary in Holland. It is believed that Robert and his father are descended from a branch of the Callendar Livingstons. Interestingly a few Livingston men in the United States who claim descent from this wealthy landowner Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor N.Y. did the Familytreedna YDNA test with a few interesting results some years I recall but none of them a YDNA match with any of the much larger number of descendants of 18th and 19th century known Highland Maclea Livingstone families who have done the FamilytreeYDNA test over almost the last 20 years which includes my own Maclea-Livingstone cousin. None of the 3 main YDNA Match groups with Livingstons whose ancestors have some known roots in Argyllshire are a match with any Livingston who has a family story to my knowledge of being of Callendar Livingston ancestry. It would very exciting and interesting had that had that been discovered through Y DNA testing. When Rob began the YDNA project to be honest it was really not known precisely what we would find out so I was surprised as everyone was one by the results so far.

Ironically early on when the YDNA testing of Livingstone's was advocated and first proposed for our clan members and other Livingstons out there by the late Rob Livingstone for our own Clan members I was somewhat hesitant and bit sceptical to support the effort but I soon came to my senses when Rob in those early years at the Forum before he passed away convinced me that YDNA testing would help to confirm which Livingstone/Livingston were closely related to one another and which were not which eventually made total sense to me. A number of those Maclea Livingstone ancestry whom I was assisting with their genealogical research given my own Morvern Parish Maclea Livingstone ancestry were very interesting in the participating in our YDNA testing initiatives and did the Familytree YDNA test. Years later I think the YDNA testing of a large number of Livingstones of known Argyllshire Livingston ancestry and other Livingstons apparently of a number of Livingston families not connected ancestrally to Maclea Livingstones I think has been very helpful in beginning to shed some light on the origins of those who go by the family name of Livingston world wide today.

There was as you say some info from the 1600's suggesting some lowland Livingston interactions with highland Clan Maclea but when the name change occurred is not documented in a surviving historical account. All I know is what I see in the few surviving documents that have come my way over the years. Surviving record from the late 1500's and 1600's show Argyllshire ancestors of Maclea Livingstone refers themselves as Dunslaif, Dunsleeve and Dunlea thought be rooted in the more ancient Dunsliebhe and by the 1700's we are seeing in the records Mconlea, Mcinlea and Maclea. During the first half of the 1700's it would seem that Macleas for the for most part referred to themselves as Maconleas, Macinleas or Maclea. In 1751 in fact the Baron of Bachuil on the Island of Lismore whose family for centuries was located on the on the Isle of Lismore was recorded in 1751 list of land owners as Duncan Mcinlea. However what is most interesting in the later Western Argyllshire Parish records in the 1750's 1760's, 1770's and later one is hard pressed to find a single clan member referring to themselves in birth, baptism or marriage records as a Maclea. I am familiar with a number of theories that exist regarding the change from McDunsliebe Dunslea and later from-Mconlea-Maclea to Livingstone or Livingston but in terms of our clan's Western Argyllshire Parish record the most significant existing proof of a time line for a comprehensive clan name change that I can actually put my finger on is our clan's surviving Western Argyllshire parish records where from 1750s' and thereafter you have basically nothing but Livingston or Livingstone. Don't know why and can't say for certain but there are a few theories out there that have stated in the past as to why there was a clan name change.

Beginning in the late 1800's in the years following the death of Dr. David Livingstone there was much speculation and even more assumptions written in newspaper articles about our clan and who was related to who. I have over many years done much research to try to better understand our clan and the source of any possible misconceptions regarding our Clan. My effort over the years has also been to help other Livingstones discover their Maclea Livingstone family history and to encourage a better understanding of our clan history and try to help study and understand what is known and what is not and what is misunderstood regarding our Clan history. The late Rob Livingston a cousin of Baron Livingstone encouraged YDNA testing of Maclea Livingstones to help determine the paternal ancestral origins of the descendants of those Maclea-Livingstone's who resided in parishes in Western Argyllshire and how closely related Maclea Livingstone were whose ancestors resided in the 18th and 19th century and much earlier were related to one another. Like Rob believed I also believe that there is much we can learn about origins of our highland Maclea Livingstone ancestor through Y DNA testing of Maclea Livingstones and "other' Livingstons of non Argyllshire origins.

THe information included on the Web site is pretty good overview of what is known of our Clan history. No doubt there is lot more to be known but like with some other Clans in the Highlands much has unfortunately not been written down and recorded regarding the more ancient history. A good deal of what has is known is included on our Clan's Website. In recent years some possibly groundbreaking information has come to light regarding the ancient origins of the Argyllshire Macleas and I am in the process of trying to determine how best to interpret and ultimately work with this new information which is somewhat daunting and difficult.
regards,

Donald
Bruce

Re: The Lowland Livingstons: Another little piece of information on the forebears

Post by Bruce »

Another little piece of information on the forebears.

Baron de Leving a Saxon nobleman who accompanied St. Margaret the Exile when she arrived at the Court of King Edward the Confessor in 1057.

circa 1057
Baron de Leving had a son: The surname Livingston is of territorial origin derived from the lands of that same name in West Lothian, just to the southwest of Edinburgh. A Saxon by the name of Leving settled in in the area sometime during the reign of Edgar (1097-1107) and it is from him that we get the name “Leving’s Town” or “Livingston”. Leving's grandson, William was designated in a charter as William the Lion “of Livingston”. His descendant, Sir William Livingston accompanied King David II on his expedition to England in 1346 and it was from him that he acquired the Barony of Callendar, Stirlingshire, and whose heiress he married. These are the “Lowland Livingstons” from whose branches descended the Livingstons of Dunipace, Kinnaird, Bonton and Westquarter.
The “Highland Livingstones” are of quite a different origin. The earliest of the Highland Livingstones were from the Isle of Lismore in the centre of Loch Linne off the coast of Western Scotland. Baron de Leving
Edward the Atheling or “Royal Prince” (1016 – 1057) was the eldest son of King Edmund (II) Ironside of England. He fled to Hungary during the reign of Canute (1016 – 1035) where he married Agatha of Hungary. Their daughter, St. Margaret the Exile, was born in Hungary in 1045. After the death of her father in 1057, St. Margaret arrived at the English court of Edward the Confessor. With her, according to legend, came the forebearer of the Livingstons: a nobleman named Baron de Leving. Ten years later following the defeat of Harold Godwinson at Hastings in 1066, St. Margaret was in exile again. This time, she fled to Scotland, and Baron de Leving accompanied her; or so the story goes. St. Margaret married King Malcolm (III) Cænmore of Scotland in 1068, and was canonised in 1250. Her feast day in Scotland is November 16. Click on St. Margaret for more about this remarkable queen.
Perhaps Baron de Leving (or more likely his forebearer) accompanied Edward the Atheling into exile in the early 11th century; for as Mr. E.B. Livingston argues so convincingly in The Livingstons of Callendar, Baron de Leving was doubtless of Saxon lineage. Mr. Livingston states:
“. . . in England, long before the Norman Conquest, the patronymic Leving, Living or Lyfing, derived from Leofing, which in modern English means ‘the son of Leof’ – namely ‘son of the Beloved’ – was borne by numerous persons of rank and positon as their family or tribal name. It occurs as early as the middle of the ninth century as the name of one of the witnesses to a charter of Berthwulf of Mercia; and the Archbishop of Canterbury who crowned Edmund Ironside in 1016, and who likewise crowned his rival and successor Canute a few months later, also bore that name. So did another famous Saxon churchman, the Bishop of Crediton and Worster, and the friend of Earl Godwine, who has come to us in the words of the old Saxon chronicler as ‘Lyfing se wordsnotera biscop,’ namely ‘Living the eloquent bishop’. Besides these two great churchmen, there are many other persons bearing this name mentioned in, or witness to, Anglo-Saxon charters; one of these Levings or Livings being the Staller or Master of the Horse to Edward the Confessor.”