Maclea Livingstons/Livingstones in 19th Century Morvern Parish, Argyll

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Maclea Livingstons/Livingstones in 19th Century Morvern Parish, Argyll

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

The gradual but steady and significant population decline of my great-great-great grandfather Livingston's Morvern Parish Maclea Livingston/Livingstone kin is quite self evident as seen in the 19th century Census Records I made a note of years ago and include below. Elsewhere in other parishes in Western Argyllshire, for many long established tenant families it was much the same story as Maclea-Livingstone's and those of other old clan families of Western Argyllshire Parishes were as tenants compelled by their landlords to leave their small farms or made the decision for themselves to seek a better life and opportunities in the lowlands, in America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. In the case of the Scottish Census information gathered from the year 1841 to 1901 in Morvern Parish one can a clearly see a very significant and dramatic drop in the number of Livingstons/Levingstons/Livingstones from a total of 90 recorded by census takers in the first Scottish Census of 1841 and 60 years later in the 1901 Census there are only 9 Livingstons/Livingstones remaining in the Parish.

My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston b. abt. 1775, a carpenter and boatbuilder, perhaps saw the writing on the wall for the old families of Morvern much earlier as a native of Morvern in Argyllshire and son of a tenant farmer in the early 1800's years before major clearances of settlers by landowners in Argyllshire took place. When one of Lord Selkirk's highland recruitment agents approached him with the offer of employment as a boat builder for Lord Selkirk and his Red River Colony Settlement in Hudson's Bay Territory in then British North America in 1811 he signed up soon after becoming an employee of Lord Selkirk at first and later a settler at Selkirk's Red River Colony. In June of 1812 made his way via Isle of Islay, Argyllshire by a Schooner to Sligo, Ireland where he and others boarded a Hudson Bay Company vessel The Robert Taylor one of three ships chartered by Lord Selkirk to take his Colony employees and settlers to a Hudsons Bay Fort. From there by smaller boats southward the employees and settlers of Lord Selkirk travelled to the site of his Red River Colony. In 1815 Miles left the Red River Settlement and settled with second wife Janet (Jessie) Livingston and his children in Upper Canada where he briefly in 1816 or 1817 was employed by the British Navy at Pentanquishene on Lake Huron as one of their boatbuilders.

Population Decline of Livingstones in Morvern Parish, Argyllshire in the 19th Century
Livingstons/Livingstones/Levingstons in Morvern 1841-1901 Census
1841 Livingston 89 Livingstone 0 Levingston 1 Total 90
1851 Livingston 68 Livingstone 0 Levingston 11 Total 79
1861 Livingston 55 Livingstone 14 Levingston 0 Total 69
1871 Livingston 19 Livingstone 6 Levingston 0 Total 25
1881 Livingston 8 Livingstone 11 Levingston 0 Total 19
1891 Livingston 11 Livingstone 1 Levingston 0 Total 12
1901 Livingston 3 Livingstone 6 Levingston 0 Total 9

Miles Livingston's great-great-great grandson
Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Bruce

Re: Maclea Livingstons/Livingstones in 19th Century Morvern Parish, Argyll

Post by Bruce »

I have a Livingston with similar dates- but the forename is shown as "Myles", could this be your ancestor ?
regards Bruce

* see attached
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Bruce,
You would be quite right. Indeed there is a "Myles" Livingston who was baptized in 1775 on the Isle of Lismore there to a Livingston family Donald Livingston an Christian Campbell I think they were residing at Cloichlea or some such place on the Island of Lismore and it may well be that for a time that my Miles Livingston and his family in his youth resided on the neighbouring Isle of Lismore. I have done some research on this matter of whether my ancestor was born on the Isle of Lismore and Morvern but there is actually more reason I decided some time that he more likely born in Morvern rather than nearby Lismore. The Morvern Parish records unfortunately can't back me up and are not helpful for researching my ancestors Miles LIvingston's birth as the 18th century birth or baptism records of Morvern Parish were long ago lost. The Morvern mainland coastline is really a hop skip and jump from the Isle of Lismore. However interestingly enough my ancestor Miles Livingston years later married his wife Janet Livingston at the Bowmore Church of Scotland parish record Isle of Islay just before he boarded the Schooner Staffa in June of 1812 on his way to Sligo, Ireland and the Bowmore minster's entry states that Miles and wife Janet also a Livingston were both "natives of Morvern". It was at Sligo that he boarded a Hudson's Bay Company vessel to take him and new bride to Lord Selkirk's Red River Settlement.

Modern science fortunately was helpful in providing me with a solution of whether my ancestral paternal Livingston roots was with the old Lismore Maclea Livingstones or with the ancestors of the neighbouring Morvern Livingstone who believed themselves to descend from a branch of the Mcleas of Achnacree, Argyllshire. Just to be certain that he was "native to Morvern" and/or at least shared YDNA with known Livingstones of proven Morvern ancestry rather than to an old Lismore/Appin area Maclea Livingstone family I had a Livingstone cousin YDNA test almost 20 years and his Paternal Y DNA results with 67 markers tested the closest YDNA match, an almost perfect match only one marker difference our 67 markers tested with a Nova Scotia Livingston descended from a Livingsto of a Livingston family that resided in Kilundine, Morvern. Even more interesting and signficant to me was that another Livingstone gentleman was a relatively close YDNA match with just a little more distant genetic distance of 3 markers with my Livingston cousin was most signficantly according to his family history a son of Hugh Livingston who died about 1846/1847 of Achbeg Morvern next to Savary Morvern who died around the time the potato crop failure and famine reached Morvern and Mull. His widow and their children impoverished by the end of the 1840's eventually left for America and settled in Ohio. Her husband Hugh Livingston tenant farmer of Achbeg Morvern near Savary most interestingly according to his grandson Duncan Livingston of Scioto Ohio, lawyer and Morvern Livingston historian later in the 1800's was a descendant of Hugh (Ewen) Livingstone tenant farmer of Savary Morvern who was the brother of the better known Donald Livingstone 1729-1816 also of Savary, Morvern who at the age of about 18 in 1745 enlisted in the Jacobite Appin Stewarts Appin Regiment and was at the Battle of Culloden with the Appin Regiment. Donald Livingstone (Maclea or Maconlea back in 1745) was most famous and somewhat legendary amongst those in Morvern for rescuing the Appin banner on the field of battle at Culloden after the last standard barrier had fallen at the Battle of Culloden in April of 1746. He then managed to evade capture and making his way back to Argyllshire and hiding for some time eventually return the Appin banner to one of the Stewarts. Stewart of Ardsheil was in hiding and eventually was able to board a ship to France so it was for many years I understand in the possession of another Stewart family for many years. I did not detailed research on that Appin banner and it later history when doing an article on Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern but that was a while ago. Interestingly a few elderly nieces and a nephew of Donald Livingstone of Savary who were born in the 1770's or thereabouts in Morvern connected to the family of his brother Hugh Livingston of Savary in the mid 1800's in their old age resided in New York and Ohio and years their interesting stories that they heard from the mouth of their Uncle Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 were passed on to a great nephew young Duncan Livingstone of Scioto, Ohio a lawyer and later in the later 1800's a Morvern Livingstone family historian who published some interesting details regarding his Savary Morvern family connection in a Scottish history magazine in the late 1800's. One of the former Forum participants brought this Morvern Livingstone family historian to my attention years ago I greatly their assistance as this Duncan Livingtone's relatives family connection and early interaction with their famous Savary Morvern Uncle proved helpful to my own research project on Donald Livingstone of Savary Morvern whom YDNA testing suggests one of more distant Morvern Maclea ancestors probably in the earlier 1700's was likely related.

Anyways to make a very long story short I became aquainted with direct descendant of Hugh Livingston of Achbeg Morvern near Savary who was a grandson of Hugh (Ewen) Livingstone of Savary a brother of the better known 1745 Rebellion Jacobite Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 Morvern hero of the Battle of Culloden April 1746. Hugh Livingston is listed with his brother Donald Livingston in a 1779 Argylll List of Tenants. The descendant of Hugh Livingston of Achbeg Morvern and the earlier Hugh Livingston of Savary, Morvern brother of Donald Livingstone did a YDNA test and his YDNA marker results linked his results with that of my own Livingston cousin whose Livingston ancestor stated in his 1812 marriage record he was of Morvern ancestry. Threw were also one or other LIvingstons in the YDNA project who were of apparent Morvern and good number of others who were of a Livingston family of neighbouring Mull, Argyll ancestry. None of the matches had any information of any Lismore Livingston ancestry or residence though as I say my own ancestor and his family could have lived at one time on the Isle of Lismore. Livingstons moved around with those some of those who lived in Morvern residing for a time in Mull and vice versa I have found in assisting other Livingstons with their family research. And because particularly with the Morvern Parish records much of them were apparently lost prior to 1803 or 1804 years ago I cannot be entirely certain about where my earlier Morvern ancestors were. All I really know for certain is that my great great grandfather Miles Livingstone married his second wife Janet Livingston my ancestor in 1812 while boarding a ship the Staffa in Bowmore Harbour on the Isle of ISLe where a number of highlanders had gathered to be taken on the Schooner to the port of Sligo Ireland where they were to board the Hudsons Bay Company vessel The Robert Taylor heading to Hudson's Bay.Because of the lack of surviving 18th century Morvern records I went with YDNA testing which confirmed that my Livingston cousins closest YDNA matches with 67 markers tested were of known Morvern paternal Livingston ancestry.

One of the interesting family history detail that the Ohio State Duncan Livingstone apparently learned from his Morvern born father in Ohio in his youth was that these Morvern Livingstone old-timers born in the 1770's had spent time in their youth listening to stories told them by their aged Uncle Donald Livingstone of Savary Morvern who in his later years in the early 1800's before his death operated an Inn. It was probably from Donald Livingtone or another old-timer in their youth in Morvern where they learned that the Savary Morvern Livingstones and for that matter most of the Maclea Livingstone residing in Morvern were descended from Achnacree Maclea's who had settled in Morvern around the year 1600. I was later able to confirm in a rare early 18th century listing of Morvern and Mull tenants that there were indeed very early in the 1700's a good number of Maclea or Maconleas located all along the Morvern Coast by the early 1700's and almost certainly having resided in Morvern in the 1600s'. I do not think there is any reason to believe that Donald Livingstone's father John Livingston was from or born or originated from Achnacree Benderloch, Argyllshire. The Achnacree Macleas were probably well established in Morvern possibly a 100 years or more before the famous Morvern Hero Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 was born. I say all this with the greatest respect to the old Savary Livingston family because if I can relay on the YDNA results its seem somewhat likely that I had a Maclea ancestor perhaps earlier in the 1700's who was somehow related to Donald Livingston's father John Livingston (Maclea) and his family.

Interestingly I found out from an old newspaper article just the other day that Robert Livingstone one of Donald Livingstone's son apparently continued to run an Inn at Savary years after his Father died according to someone who knew him before Robert died I believe it was in the 1850's at Savary.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

Morvern and neighbouring Mull were also greatly impacted by potato crop blight that hit Ireland in the 1840's resulting in a devastating famine, much illness and death for the people of Ireland. This was the heart felt response of a number of Morvern residents in the form a petition during this time dreadful time the already impoverished tenant families in Morvern and Mull had to endure. Recently trying to find old misplaced research documents I came across this interesting item. At the time I was hoping that some Morvern Livingstons would be included on the list but a number of their Clan McInnes neighbours and possibly cousins are on this list. The mother of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern was Ann McInnes and she is buried with her husband John Livingstone in Keil Cemetery in Morvern Parish.

Great Britain Treasury Correspondence from July 1846 to February 1747 Related to The Measures Adopted For the Relief of Distress in Scotland Published in London 1847
Petition for the District of Morvern Argyllshire for Advance for the Oban Railway.
Pg. 143 Oct. 1846 During Potato Crop Failure and Famine of Tenant Farmers and their families in Parishes in Western Argyllshire including Morvern Parish.
Petition from the District of Morvern in the County of Argyle
Unto the Right Honourable the Lords of Her Majesty’s Treasury
The Petition of the Freeholders, Justice of the Peace, Commissioners of Supply, Clergy, and People of the district of Morvern, in the County of Argyle.
Humbly Sheweth,
That it has been the pleasure of the Almighty God to impend this part of the country the calamity of famine through the total failure of the potato crop, upon which the working population do almost entirely subsist. That this famine will leave the people entirely destitute, how soon they shall have consumed their small crops of oats and barley, which cannot last them above two or three months at the very farthest; and this is a fact which we consider it our duty to make known to your Lordships and at the same time respectively to suggest a measure which under Providence might very greatly to mitigate the evil.
In the last session of Parliament an Act was passed empowering certain parties to form and make a railway to give transit to passengers, goods and livestock betwixt Oban in the County of Argyle and the city of Glasgow – a railway communication which when completed will be the first importance to the people of this country and it would tend greatly to the diminution of the distress that must arise from the failure of the potato crop in the Highlands of Scotland if Government saw it proper to advance upon proper security to the joint stock company for the construction of the aforesaid railway such funds as may be required to enable them forthwith to begin their operation. May it therefore please your Lordship to take what is above stated into your consideration and to do in the matter what to your Lordships may appear best.
And your Petitioners will ever pray
John Sinclair of Lochaline J.P.
Donald McVean Tackman of Kenlochalen
Duncan Campbell Tackman of Achfose
John Cameron Merchant Lochaline
Donald McLachlan Tenant Achabeg
Donald McInnis Tenant Kyle
Duncan McCullum Tenant Kyle
Allan Watt Tackman Ardness
William Allan Merchant Lochaline
David Smith Tackman Auchnath
John McInnes Tenant Savery
Alex McInnes Tenant Savery
William Blackley Tackman Drumbose
Alexander McNab Drimmin
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I`m not sure which details got through on my attachment, but the ones supplied by Family Search for Myles Livingston are-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------_
Myles Livingston
Male born September 1775 – died about 1841 •
Birth Name Myles Livingston
Lismore, Argyllshire, Scotland

Brief Life History of Myles
When Myles Livingston was born on 27 September 1775, in Lismore, Argyll, Scotland, his father, Donald Livingston, was 34 and his mother, Christian McCaskill Campbell, was 34. He married Janet Livingston on 20 June 1812, in Killarrow, Argyll, Scotland, United Kingdom. They were the parents of at least 1 son and 1 daughter. He died about 1841, in Halton, Ontario, Canada, at the age of 67.

Family Members
Myles Livingston
Male1775–1841 •M47Q-B1B
Janet Livingston
Female1780–1842 •9M9R-91G
• Marriage
20 June 1812 Killarrow, Argyll, Scotland
Children (2)
• Nancy Ann Livingston
Female1813–1880 •LH1D-SBV
• Daniel R. Livingston
Male1818–Deceased •LHH4-2D8
ADD CHILD
Myles Livingston
Male1775–1841 •M47Q-B1B
ADD SPOUSE
Children (1)
• John Livingston
Male1818–1895 •L6G1-3R8

Parents and Siblings
Donald Livingston
Male1741–Deceased •KC84-8PT

Christian McCaskill Campbell
Female1741–Deceased •GKD3-7SX
• Marriage
Abt. 1758Lismore, Argyll, Scotland
Children (9)
• Dugald Livingston
Male1759–Deceased •KHS3-C7X
• Isobel Livingstone
Female1769–Deceased •M9GF-2LJ
• Duncan Livingston
Male1771–1815 •M47Q-BJ5
• Donald Livingstone
Male1771–Deceased •GM9Z-D19
• Margaret Livingston
Female1771–Deceased •KCNN-J5V
• Donald Livingston
Male1774–1850 •GHJ3-YKD
• Myles Livingston
Male1775–1841 •M47Q-B1B
• Neill Livingston
Male1777–1865 •M47Q-1M3
• Catherine Livingston
Female1780–1872 •94T3-ST3
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Bruce,
I am afraid this has been a years old family history dilemma for me whether my ancestor Miles Livingston family roots were in Lismore or a short distance nearby along the Morvern coast. These days I have long since concluded that Miles Livingston's is descended from same Maclea ancestral line as Donald Livngstone 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern and others of his kin residing throughout Morvern Parish in Western Argyllshire in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

That being said I can't completely rule out the possibility that my ancestor Miles Livingston could have lived at the time of his birth in Lismore and been born an baptized on the Island. Birth, Church of Scotland Baptism and marriage record prior to about 1803 or 1804 no longer exist. Red River Colony giving his age during his time at the Red River Colony of Lord Selkirk's suggest he was in fact born around 1775 which of course is line with Myles Livingston recorded in the 1775 Lismore Parish Baptism records. Even if my ancestor Miles Livingston was in fact the Myles Livingston baptized in 1775 in Lismore Parish, the YDNA testing leaves no doubt that regardless whether he may or may not have resided for a time on the Isle in Lismore in his youth that he was of Morvern Maclea Livingstone ancestry of not of the ancient Lismore Maclea Livingstone known through YDNA testing to be descended from the ancient Bachuil Maclea Livingstone ancestors. This ancient family of our Clan Chief has resided on he Isle of Lismore for hundreds of years. Interestingly when Miles first arrived at the Red River settlement with a group of settlers some from Mull early in the Red River River one colony record stated he was born in Mull. Years since i first started researching my ancestor Miles Livingston I am currently quite confident that he is a he states a native of Morvern and through Y DNA testing I able to prove I believe that he is of Morvern Maclea Livingstone ancestry. Unfortunately I am not in any position to prove whether he is or isn't the Myles Livingston who resided and was baptized on the Isle of Lismore in 1775, but regardless a Livingston descendants YDNA matched with Morvern and a good number of Livingstone of neighbouring Mull Maclea Livingstone and not with any Livingstons descended from those who are known to reside on Isle of Lismore or neighbouring Appin interestingy enough.

The YDNA testing of a Livingston great grandson of my own ancestor Miles Livingston settled in British North America Selkirk's Red River colony in the year 1812 and in 1815 in Upper Canada (Ontario, Canada) and likely died sometime between 1842-1851 in Acton, Trafalgar Township, Halton County, Ontario, Canada, made it quite quite clear that my Livingstone cousin shares similar YDNA marker results that are consistent with those Maclea Livingstones of YDNA Matches that include not only Morvern Maclea Livingstone matches but also a significant number of Maclea Livingstones tested with family history and records linking their 18th and 19th century Maclea Livingstone ancestor to locations in neighbouring Mull.

My ancestor Miles Livingston has no surviving death record but years ago I concluded that he died sometime between 1842 and 1851 he likely died in Halton County where he had been residing with his youngest son Daniel. 1841 is a bit too early given that last record I found pertaining to him I believe was from the year 1842. I had to refresh my brain on that one as I researched Miles originally years ago. I did the original research on Miles Livingston possibly in fact long before whoever submitted that info your located long before there were computers when works for hours in the Ontario archives in Canada on ancient microfilm viewers or go through musty dusty files. With no surviving death record or gravestone So I most definitely assume old Miles died somewhere between 1842 and 1851 in Trafalgar Township, Halton County, Ontario possibly in the town of Acton where he apparently had been residing with his youngest son Daniel who resided in Acton back then. Anyways that research was years ago and in the years since then my focus has been on the bigger picture focusing on familiarizing myself with the genealogy info regarding highland Maclea Livingstones as well as that of other Scottish Livingston families not ancestrally connected to the Maclea Livingstone of Argyllshire.

My most recent project is to try and research the theories of Clan Maclea Livingstone stated beginning in the late 1800s's emerging from highland Argyllshire. This is something that I began years ago so I not really breaking new ground just trying to explore the various notions regarding the Western Argyllshire Maclea's that started to emerge in the decades following the death of Dr. Livingstone who brought to those whose family name was Livingstone/Livingston in particular a great sense of loss but also pride in his achievements during his lifetime. This shared admiration for Dr. Livingstone I have noticed over years via the forum is still quite strong amongst Livingstones and those related to Livingstones in more modern times.

Regarding the many Livingstone bios that have been published over these many years since Dr. Livingstone death, it is quite that true that some of the more recent biographers of Dr. Livingstone have explored the darker side of the man and focused somewhat on whatever his failing as a human being to be sure. To be fair to those authors and Dr. Livingstone at the same time and having done some research myself on Dr. Livingstone in the past I believe that in those final months of his life Dr. Livingstone had pushed himself to the limit and was clearly both physically and mentally starting to breakdown. During this time it should be noted that he was severely ill and very depressed, angry and frustrated. His anger and frustration as indicated for example with his final letter to his older brother John Livingston focused on lashing out at his friend and colleague Dr. Kirk who he felt failed to come to his aid as well as harshly criticizing his son Oswell. Even Stanley who was among Dr. Livingstone's most loyal supporters years later in an autobiography he wrote prior to his death acknowledged that he noticed at times Dr. Livingstone easily took offence and was not always a forgiving man. That being said Dr. Livingstone's achievements in Africa his selfless dedication to improving the lives of the people of Africa and many accomplishments as an explorer I think vastly outweigh whatever his shortcoming may have been. If any thing whatever faults he may have possessed they should remind us that the man was after all human.

Years ago I included this quote below from George Seaver's biography of Dr. Livingstone in something that had I written about that Livingstone family, thinking back then I should put Dr. Livingstone's perceived defects later biographers may have focused on into proper perspective:
" In the end however Dr. David Livingstone will always be remembered for his praise worthy accomplishments in Africa and not for this dark chapter of his life reflected in this final letter to his brother John. Dr. Livingstone biographer George Seaver I think quite rightfully reminds us that “for a true comprehension of the significance of Livingstone’s life we must look deeper than psychological analysis and envisage it against the background of eternal values. Whatever his faults of temperament and defects of character he stands before us as Campbell has well said as one of the moral giants of our race.”

I think we all go into our family research with certain goals and in my case knowing very little back in 2004 about the origins or history of Clan Maclea Livingstone. 20 years later I like to think all this time and effort has been worthwhile. If I don't reach my ultimate goal I am pursuing regarding Clan Maclea Livingstone in the end at least it can be said that I was able to assist a large number of Livingstones over the these many years with their Maclea Livingstone family history projects. I would encourage everyone to devote a little bit of time or a lot of their helping others volunteering their time and effort in helping others in a variety of ways instead of just living out their lives only thinking of themselves. I think in the end one is a better person for doing that.

regards,

Donald
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Donald,
Regarding the reassessment of David Livingston -Shakespeare said it succinctly; he wrote in Julius Caesar ..."The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones"
regards Bruce
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Bruce,
Well said Bruce or should I say well said William (Shakespeare).
Dr. Livingstone was an extraordinary man but like most men he had a few flaws. His own family at one time or another felt he was neglecting them and putting his exploration priorities ahead of his duties as a father and I think there is probably some truth to that. That being said I have no doubt he was a very loving father and deeply cared for both his Wife and Children. No question of that based on my study of him. But I guess he was a very determined man on a mission - perhaps you might say a bit obsessed - who would not consider retirement and returning home in the end until he found that elusive source of the Nile I suppose. He had a opportunity to return home with Stanley and much to Stanley's disappointment he chose to remain in Africa. During the last months of his final expedition he was very depressed isolated in the jungle, weakened by dysentary and God knows what other afflictions. Given what he was forced to endure back then I can't imagine anyone would be entirely in their best frame of mind. I doubt very many people could have survived as long as he did in Africa under those conditions. The respect and admiration felt for Dr. Livingstone back in the 19th century and even today is I have found since becoming involved with Clan Maclea Livingstone something quite remarkable and is particularly intense amongst almost every person of Livingstone/Livingston ancestry who has over the last 20 years visited this Forum. Many of them feel like he is part of their family even when he is not. I must confess I feel a terrible sense of guilt when I tell someone they are not related to Dr. Livingstone. My elderly father was years ago quite upset with me when I finally told him that our ancestor Miles Livingston was not related to Dr. Livingstone. David Livingstone's legacy clearly continues to endure with many people world wide long after his passing.

regards,

Donald
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Donald.. you wrote- "I think we all go into our family research with certain goals and in my case knowing very little back in 2004 about the origins or history of Clan Maclea Livingstone. 20 years later I like to think all this time and effort has been worthwhile" ... this reminded me of an article written a little time ago encapsulating our desire to know more of our ancestors .

Surprising Benefits of Researching Your Family History
by Czepiga Daly Pope & Perri LLC

It’s human nature to want to know where we come from and who we come from.

As it turns out, exploring genealogy makes an excellent hobby, especially for older adults. It’s something that’s accessible to anyone with an internet connection. It can be enjoyed from the comfort of home. And it offers many other social and emotional benefits:

Sense of Purpose
Many older people find themselves at a bit of a loss for what to do with their days. It’s not unusual for recent retirees to fall into depression during the transition from long-time work routines into a so-called life of leisure. Researching family history can provide an intriguing focus that ignites the imagination. Any family’s story is likely to be filled with many small mysteries and discoveries that can keep a person engaged for a long, long time.

Deeper Personal Identity
Everyone wants to belong, and learning about ancestors is a wonderful way to ground an individual’s life within a greater context of time and place. Tracing family roots back through generations can help a person connect more deeply with a sense of self by learning about their family’s past—where they came from, who they were, what they did, the trials they overcame, the accomplishments they achieved, the dreams they had.

Mental Stimulation
In addition to staving off boredom and ennui, researching genealogy encourages the development of new skills (such as working with computers) and provides valuable opportunities to improve cognition and self esteem. Reminiscing and exploring the unknown past can have deep psychological benefits for older people, giving them a chance to reconnect with their own memories while also learning new things about family members they never knew. Some studies have shown that reminiscing can actually lower a person’s blood pressure and heart rate.

Family Connections
Researching genealogy can make a great family activity, involving siblings, children, and grandchildren. It can bring family members together around a shared interest and also inspire intergenerational storytelling and sharing. Learning about common ancestors has a way of opening up doors of communication. Sometimes, research will even end up reconnecting long-lost relatives in surprising ways.

Medical Knowledge
In some cases, there’s an opportunity to collect family medical information, either from living relatives or by uncovering health information from records about ancestors. This information can be helpful in identifying potential risk factors for surviving family members.

Social Benefits
Finally, because researching family history is such a popular hobby, it offers the chance to meet other people who are likewise engaged in learning about their own families. There are plenty of online groups and forums that can offer conversation and community. Some researchers wind up turning their family histories into other projects as well—a talk at the local library or senior center, a history lesson for local school children, or a memento book for family members.