Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
BLiv1

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by BLiv1 »

Hello Donald, Thank you so much for your reply. Hector the Elusive as been my mystery man for a while. A letter from a 1st cousin of my own fathers is what opened the door. He and my Dad had searched but could find nothing. The letter, however is what gave me the key. I had searched for Hector b 1793 in Hillsborough NB but came up with nothing. The correct info is in that letter : Hector Livingstone b. 1811 PEI. When I typed that in on FamilySearch it all opened up. His baptism/birth record. The E at the end of Livingstone comes and goes as I’m sure you know. So Here is what I have starting from Hectors father and mother from his baptism record:
John Livingston m Isabella McGregor (found on John Collins research)
Hector Livingstone b 30 Mar 1811 Nine Mile Creek PEI m Lucella Crocker b Nova Scotia
D unknown
( Georgina/Georgeanna b ca 1854 daughter I know nothing about)
John Harding Livingstone b 1856 or 1859 Albert Mines NB m Laura Annie Steeves
.d 1934 Salem NB
James Hector Livingstone b 1897 Hillsborough NB m Gerda Sofia Lind
.d 1978 Connecticut US
Richard Harding Livingstone Sr. b 1925 Connecticut US m Jane Blackie
D 2017 Portland OR
BLiv1 b mid twentieth century
There is very little about Hector Livingstone anywhere. There is a possible marriage or a banns posting from a newspaper The Gleaner and Northumberland Schediasma, in 1838 to an Agnes Walker, don’t know if this happened or if there was offspring from possible first marriage. Both listed as residents of Richibuto NB.
He was 51 on the 1861 Census and 61 on the 1871 Census NB His son was 2 & 12, at those times, m to Lucella living in Hillsborough, NB
There is a mention of Hector Livingstone in a Hutchinson Directory 1865-66, 1867,1871 res. In Hillsborough NB, occupation Ship carpenter.
Does this fill in any gaps in your research? :)
Beth
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Beth,

Sorry about my earlier DNA test related message. You would be not able do the Livingston Y Chromosome test I mentioned as you don't possess the Livingston Y Chromosomes of your Livingston ancestor. It would have to be someone like a Livingston brother or Livingston cousin, Livingston Father or an Uncle that kind of thing. The good news though as mentioned is that a descendant of your ancestor John Livingston's younger brother Donald Livingston the younger b. 1780 of Clyde River, Lot 31, Queens County PEI did the Familytreedna test I mentioned more than a decade ago. It seems pretty clear from the results of the 67 marker test that this Livingston tested seems to be a close match with my own Livingston cousin I had test also of Morvern ancestry and the other Morvern Livingston matches. About four of them so far in a larger DNA match group that includes Mull and other Livingstons of nearby parishes in Western Argyllshire as well as few from neighbouring Perthshire, Scotland which borders with highland Argyllshire. The Morvern matches though with my Livingston cousin clearly stand out with his other relatively close Mull matches. The descendant of the Donald Lvingston the younger born in 1780 clearly is more closely matching with those of Morvern ancestry in the match than those of neighbouring Mull though they all seem share somewhat similar results and some apparent ancestral connection perhaps as Maclea branches sometime before 1700. Not sure of the precise timeline of course but the Morvern and Mull Maclea Livingstones most of them anyways seem definitely of related family branches connected to each sometime prior to the 1700's I would think very likely based on the DNA results. But it is definitely great that we already one distant Livingston relative of yours from the Donald Livingston Jr. family line tested with the Y chromosome test so that I have I think some confirmation through DNA testing that the info Donald Levingston Junior's Mull marriage record of 1803 that he a native of Morvern married in Mull seems to be indeed true.

One other thing regarding Y Chromosome DNA testing. I had a documented descendant of a brother of Dr. David Livingstone tested more than 10 years ago now and the results indicate that the Livingstons of Morvern Livington ancestry as well as the other Livingstons in this particular match group of Western Argyllshire ancestry are definitely not related to Dr Livingstone brother or his related Livingston kin. Livingston's of course are often inquiring if they are related to Dr. LIvingstone or not. I am afraid none of us MOrvern Maclea Livingston descendants are according to DNA testing.

Thank-you for sharing all that you know regarding your "elusive" Hector Livingston. Here at the Forum, we actually get a lot inquires regarding lost an elusive Livingston relatives. It may not seem like much but as there is very little out there on him it is a valuable piece in the puzzle that is Hector Livingston son of John Livingston and Isabella McGregor.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Beth,

Looks like Hector died sometime between 1871 and 1881 as Lucilla is a widow in the 1881 Census. I found bit more on the their son John, his family and his son James Hector Livingston in particular via ancestry.ca search that later lived in the States. Found Hector in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census and then Lucilla in the 1881 Census at Hillsborough, Albert County, N.B as a widow. More later. Must get back to spring cleaning.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Beth,

1851 Census Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick indicates that your ancestor Hector Livingston ship carpenter was residing with his wife Lucilla age 24 at the residence of another ship carpenter. They have no children at this point in time. The house beside this occupied by a William Bennett a Ship builder. The other householder recorded next to them is a Heman not Herman Crocker age 37 born in England. I think you mentioned that Lucilla's last name was Crocker. Appears to be perhaps an older brother of Lucilla.

Only Son of Hector Livingston and Lucilla Crocker
Your ancestor John Harding Livingston b. January 9, 1859? Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick m. Annie Laura Steeve b. May 19, 1860 New Brunswick

1. Mary Alice Livingston b. Oct. 25, 1884 Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick, Canada d. 1961 Hillsborough,Albert County, New Brunswick m. George Steeves
2. Martha Lucilla Livingston b. Oct. 25, 1886 Hillsborough, Albert County,New Brunswick, Canada d. 1958 Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick m. Bradford Mollins
3. Charles Wellington Livingston b. April 7, 1889 Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick, Canada d. April 16, 1975 d. North Kingston, Washington County, Rhode Island m. Christine Ferguson
4. Addie B. Livingston b. April 27, 1891 Hillsborough,Albert County, New Brunswick, Canada d. July 1973 Centre Harbour, Belkop, New Hampshire m. Feb. 28, 1912 Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, Chester Wilder
5. *James Hector Livingston b. March 27, 1897 (your ancestor) Hillsborough, Albert County,New Brunswick, Canada d. May 24, 1978 New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut m. Gerda S. Lind
6. Leforest Livingston b. August 31, 1899 Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick, Canada d. 1915 (Single)

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Beth,

On June 15, 1918 James Hector Livingston age 21 3 months resident of Boston, Mass. USA signed an agreement to join the Canadian Army near the end of World War 1 to serve in the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

regards,

Donald
BLiv1

Post by BLiv1 »

Thank you so much for this. I had found James Hector Livingstones WW1 records on the NB CA site -34 pages! I’m guessing it was part of the centenary of the WW1. He listed his mother Laura A. Steeves Livingstone as living on Academy St in Hillsborough NB in 1918. Found his demob paper and border crossing also. He went to live with his Brother Charles Livingstone in Malden MA US. 1914-1918 and again after the war 1919. (Eventually the two brothers got into the elevator business together. James Hector Livingstone one of founders of elevator union in New Haven CT US. ) Lucella, Hectors widow, age 78, d 1900, address on death cert. Academy St so think she lived with or near John Harding Livingstone. John Harding Livingstone and Laura Annie Steeves Livingstone buried at Grays Island Cemetery. Along with one of their sons Laforest Livingstone. Findagrave. Lucella seems to have been born in Nova Scotia . That is interesting about where they lived, perhaps ship company housing? And a brother born in England. Always wondered where the name “Harding” came from, does seem more English than Scottish.
PS It was on John Harding Livingstone’s death record that his mother was Lucella Crocker. (I had been reading it on the 1861 Census as “Lucille”. I have a copy of a copy from a microfilm, very hard to read but it was my only Hector clue. )
Also, Charles Livingstone has two living grandsons, they might be interested in the dna as it was their father Charles Livingstone Jr b 1925 d 2009, that did a lot of research. I have no idea who or where that research went but I’m going to try to contact those two male cousins. My own brother, is deceased. Richard Harding Livingstone Jr. b 1949 d 1989 without offspring.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Beth,

I suspect that the youngest son Leforest G. Livingston died in 1915 possibly during World War I, but I don't see so far a military record from World War I for a Leforest Livingston. There was a George Livingston who died in 1915 but I don't think that was him. Laforest's death is mentioned on his parent's tombstone in the Cemetery in Hillsborough.

In the 1800's there was another unrelated Livingston family that resided in Hillsborough, Albert County, New Brunswick. David Brice Livingston 1845-1927 was born and lived in Hillsborough of Richard Livingston and Elizabeth McFarlane. David's census information indicates that he and his Livingston family were Irish origin rather than Scottish. That is to say that David was born in New Brunswick but his father Richard was likely born in Ireland.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Beth,

John Harding Livingston your ancestor was named after the Harding family. Don't know anything about the Harding family except that they appear to be a part of John's mother Lucella Crocker's family heritage perhaps. I noticed that Heman Crocker born in Nova Scotia possibly in Kings County around 1816 who lived in 1851 Hillsborough and later Hopewell, Albert County, N.B was the son of a Harris Harding Crocker and Mary New Comb of Kings County, Nova Scotia. What I am not sure about however is whether or not Heman Crocker is the older brother of your Lucilla Crocker (Mrs Hector Livingston). There appears to be only one descendant of Heman Crocker who I found research for and this one has no information regarding siblings of Heman Crocker. But the fact that Lucilla and her husband Hector Livington are residing in 1851 in Albert County next door to Heman Crocker and his wife suggests to me that it was not a coincidence and that they are possibly closely related. And the fact that Hector and Lucilla gave their son John a middle name "Harding" which was the middle name of their neighbour Heman Crocker's Father makes me wonder if this is significant to your family research.

regards,

Donald
BLiv1

Post by BLiv1 »

Hello Donald,
It does seem too coincidental that Lucella and Heman lived next door to not be related. He could also be a young uncle. We always were told we were mostly Scottish but this is the third direct link to England that has popped up, if it is a real link. There is a long history of mother’s family names being used as middle names in our family. My Uncle, James Laforest Livingstone also seems to be named after James Hector Livingstones lost brother. You see how these names keep popping up. (James Laforest L. had three daughters-no Y chromosome there) Perhaps it was through Heman that Hector met Lucella. That’s not a stretch.
Beth
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Beth,
Yes I would think it safe to assume Heman Crocker and Lucilla were closely related.
A Y Chromosome DNA test is fortunately not really an issue with the Donald Livingstone Sr. b.1750 of Nine Mile Creek descendants as one of them a descendant of the son Donald Livingston Jr. b.abt. 1780 has already the done the test several years ago as mentioned, so that the origins of Donald Livingston Jr and his family with the Western Argyllshire Maclea Livingstones that resided in Morvern Parish in the 1600's and 1700's and early 1800's I think have been established by this test. It seems then that information from Donald Livingstone Junior's 1803 marriage entry in the Mull Church of Scotland records that he and likely the rest of his Livingston family originated in Morvern then is likely correct.

regards,

Donald