Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Aussie Livingstone

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Aussie Livingstone »

Hi Everyone,
I am an Australian born Livingstone, as was my late father Brian Livingstone. My grandmother told me that my great grandfather Daniel Livingstone's family were related to Dr David Livingstone. There is a Daniel Livingstone who worked in the Royal Horse Guards (census) whom I suspect is my g grandfather. Daniel married Elizabeth Livingstone nee Jones from Wales whose father was a Trinity Pilot. My father said he thought Daniel had a brother Stanley. Their children were Edward Daniel (my grandfather, think he is one born Kent c 1893) Frederick and I think the girls were Lillian and Elizabeth. Edward and Fred were both sailors and served in WWII. We are a family of sailors, my younger brother is in the Merchant Navy and my other brother David's 4 sons are all keen to enter the Navy. I have contact with my cousins who are Fred's grandchildren and they have a very old Livingstone kilt. I'm quite sure my cousin said that we are descended from Donald Livingstone, Domnhull Mollach, will check that out. One of the grandfather's was renowned for always wearing his kilt and my 11yr old is convinced that our Donald wrote the poem "Donald where are you Trousers" about himself! My great uncle Fred said the same as Dr Livingstone that a great something grandfather had died fighting for our old line of kings. I read somewhere that Anna McInnes was the mother of Donald Livingstone. Her McInnes ancestry was "the old line of kings of Ireland." It appears that her husband was John Livingstone, maybe Baron John Livingstone who died at Culloden fighting for his wife's and his own Irish heritage? My late father told me that he was quite sure that "all the others went to PEI and Nova Scotia." My uncle David Livingstone is only 12yrs older than me and I think he would be a good DNA candidate i.e for comparing with Dr Livingstone given his father Edward was born over 100yrs ago. Hope you can help fill the 120yr gap I have in my research and that my info helps others. Best wishes, Amanda.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Amanda,

Welcome to the forum. My ancestor Miles Livingston born 1775 at Morvern may be related to Donald Livingstone of Savary Movern the Culloden hero you mentioned. The DNA testing of my Livingston cousin suggests a possible ancient Maclea Livingstone family connection with Livingstones who settled in Cape Breton Nova Scotia. Also at least one family in England, Australia and North Carolina all of highland origin with roots in Mull, neighbouring Morvern and some of the other Islands in Western Argyll I suspect. As more Livingstons from these part participate in our Maclea Livingstone genealogy DNA project I hoping to find more Livingstons whose Macleas and later Livingstons have a Mull and Morvern. I dont know that many Morvern Livingstons have been tested but sooner or later hopefully they will join the DNA project. We will definitely be getting more with Mull origins I suspect. Lot of Livingstons out there whose ancestors lived in one of the Mull parishes. I think I have learned something from the results but want to limit my research and comments in the near future to Mull and Movern Livingstones that match with my cousin and sit back and see if the trend I think I am seeing continues with future test results regarding a Mull-Morvern group.

A lot of Livingston families have passed on from generation to generation family tales of their origins and stories about a connection to Dr. Livingstone. It is often exceedingly difficult to establish which of these stories regarding Dr. Livingston are accurate accounts or not. We are however very interested in hearing from anyone who thinks they may be a relative of Dr. Livingstone. There is a Y chromosome DNA test which can be taken by male Livingston through our Maclea Livingstone DNA Project to help identify a possible family connection to Dr. David Livingston for anyone seeking some sort of scientific proof of a family connection. So if for example you have a Livingston brother or cousin, a male Livingston in the family this test is a possible option.

I am not certain of a Domhnall Mollach connection to the possible Mull-Morvern group I am linked with in the tests. I have actually been searching for possible descendants of Domhnall Mollach (Donald Livingstone 1728-1816) of Savary Morvern with the hope that one of them can verify a connection and is able to partipate in the DNA project so as to see where the descendants of Domhnall Mollach connect as group with other Livingstons that have been tested. So far I have only found one descendant in Australia of these Savary Morvern Livingstones and he is not a Livingston. Unfortunately we would a Livingston for the test. Indeed some of these people went to Nova Scotia, PEI and Australia I suspect and hopefully we will be hearing from them in the not too distant future when they locate this new and improved forum.

Have you looked at the old Census records in Britain to locate your Livingston ancestors in the 19th century records before they settled in Australia. Do you know what year they arrived in Australia. I have access to British Census records from 1841 to 1901 if you know who and where your ancestor was and where he lived during this period.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

I have no definite answer as yet who this Alexander and his wife Ann Livingston nee MacDonald born abt. 1834 d.June 22 1914 is. Dr. St. Clair source he sent me regarding the Alexander b.1814 of Whycocomagh family was the 1870 Census and from that I think he stated that Duncan age 25 in the 1871 census was the eldest son. There is no son of Alexander b.1814 and his wife Ann of Whycocomagh named ALexander in the 1871 Census. So at this point I cant connect this family to Alexander of Whycocomagh. I though he might be a son but there is no evidence of that. MacDonalds are an old Cape Breton family to be sure from the old country.

It is not Alexander of Whycocomagh's wife Ann because she was a Livingston not a Macdonald. But clearly they are a Cape Breton family. Also of interest is the fact that ALexander of Whycomagh's eldest son Duncan had a son a son that lived in Massachusetts. I am hoping to reach Dr. St. Clair and see what he can tell me about any Massachusetts family connection as Mass. Livingstones have come up in the forum discussion before and I am curious.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Aussie Livingstone wrote:My uncle David Livingstone is only 12yrs older than me and I think he would be a good DNA candidate i.e for comparing with Dr Livingstone given his father Edward was born over 100yrs ago. Hope you can help fill the 120yr gap I have in my research and that my info helps others. Best wishes, Amanda.
I think he would be a great candidate, Amanda! Get in touch any time if you'd like to take the next step--his results would be immensely helpful to the project in expanding its scope and nailing down definitive lines. Please join us when you can!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
R. Livingstone

Post by R. Livingstone »

Good Afternoon, Donald -

Will John Collins' research on Donald and Mary of 9-Mile Creek be made available in the board database? I'm obviously very interested in adding anything I can to my small collection of information on them. I've also pondered over the possibility of a family link between Donald of Morvern / Mull / PEI and The Donald of Culloden fame. Morvern is not much more than a day's walk from Savary, where The Donald is buried.

Best Regards to All -

Ralph
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph,
How are you. A thousand apologies for missing your message in August.
I spoke to Mr. Collins a few years ago. He has indeed done some extensive research into your ancestor PEI ancestor Donald Livingston and his family. Perhaps we could contact him and ask if he would be willing to share his research with the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society.

Savary was actually part of old parish of Morvern. YourLivingston ancestors and mine either lived around Savary or in one of the other villages that were located along the Morvern coast opposite Mull in the 1700's. I heard that there is not much there now and not many Livingstones to be found there today. Most either decided to emigrate to the colonies early on or were later in the 1800's cleared from their tenant holding by their landlord and forced to emigrate.The big question regarding old Donald and his brother Ewen (Hugh) is what happened to their sons and grandsons and are we related to them in any way?
There is a great picture of stone tomb that Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern had made for his father John Livingston and mother Ann McInnis at the photo section of our Clan Maclea Livingstone website. It was kindly donated to me by the late Donald McInnis of Cumbernald one of the nicest scots I have had the privilege of knowing, former society president of Clan McInnis and an expert on all things to do with old Donald Livingstone Savary, Movern, our hero at the Battle of Culloden whose mother was a McInnis. Shortly before his death he shared with me his research on Donald Livingstone and enjoyed his informative and thoughtfull e-mails. Though I was essentially a stranger he treated me like an old friend. His untimely death was all the more tragic because he would have undoubtedly been a powerful voice in Scotland in our fight regarding a true and accurate Appin Regiment marker at Culloden.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph,

I understood from the late Donald McInnis of Cumbernald that there are ruins of a mill at Savary that was Donald Livingstone's or his families. The information I have is that old Donald in his old age operated an inn at Savary before he died in 1816. There is a gentleman in Australia I have been in touch with who is a decendant of one of the Livingston millers at Savary in the 1800's and he believes that he was kin to Donald Livingstone. We are fortunate that Donald was an excellent story teller in his old age and passed on the tale of how he rescued the Appin Regiment Banner to future generations. Among those who told the story to later family members were two nieces of old Donald who settled in Ohio in the 1800's.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

I drop in every now and then to check things. I had an interesting phone call this evening. A Livingstone descendent of Duncan Livingstone of Cape Breton. Old Kate is a descendent of hers. I gave her the URL to this forum and she is looking forward to contacting you. She has alot of valuable information and she is looking forward to sharing it with us.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

It is wonderful to make contact with descendants of the Mull River Cape Breton, Nova Scotia Livingstones. We have come along way in researching this family group and making a pretty good attempt at linking them to your Prince Edward Island Livingstons. I wonder if she knows Dr. St. Clair of Mabou near Mull River ?
They may be cousins. Thanks for your help.
regards,
Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

Yes she has spoken to Dr. St. Clair.

Barry