Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Thank you Donald for your kind words of encouragement. Many years ago I was a member of the "C.B.G.H.A. Society for a year. The people were very helpful with my research on my Brown ancestors who immigrated from Scotland to Cape Breton sometime before 1827. My Grandfather Thomas J. Brown was a superintendant of the coal mines in Cape Breton and in later years in politics of Cape Breton. Thomas J. Brown was maried to Matilda Livingstone, GG grandaughter of John Livingstone who arrived from Mull on the Brig Humphreys in 1806 to Prince Edward Island.

I have printed out the application for membership to the " Cape Breton Genealogy Historical Association this morning, and it will be in the mail this afternoon. I don't know how long it will take to get access, but will let you know at that time.

I think this will be of great help to not only our Cape Breton researchers but to others on the forum as well.

Regards, Jewel Brown
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

I appreciate that as we would like to clarify that possible Colin Livingston entry in the 1860/1861? Whycocomagh Census information that I think someone in their society may have gone through and indexed individuals at some point. I may have access to that whole census through our library but I am curious that Colin is in that census and no one else noticed it all these years so it needs to be checked and verified for Barry and the rest of us researching the Mull River-Whycocomagh Livingstons This Colin Livingston born abt. 1818 died in 1867 so none of the later censuses are any help to us. If we could verify that Colin was in that census and residing in Whycocomagh at that time it would be a big help but I dont know as yet that is correct.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Donald;

John Hugh Livingstone born July 29, 1874.

father; Duncan Livingstone-Miner-Vale Colliery. Mother Mary McDonald, Vale Colliery. Duncan and Mary were married May 10, 1874 at Vale Colliery. Informant, Hugh Livingstone.

Marriage is registered at New Glascow.

Regards:

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Livingstone_PEI wrote:Don't forget guys and gals about my descendent, Colin's daughter Catherine or Katherine. At the time of colin's transfer of land to his son, in 1891, Katherine was living in the US and she was not married.

Barry
Hi Barry;

Will you give me the date of birth of Colins daughter, Catherine. What was the name of Colins wife: when were they married and where.

Regards;

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Maryanne;

Is this John Hugh Livingstone Jr.s son and did John Hugh marry Anna Scott?

Alexander Duncan Livingstone - Miner-born Jan. 9, 1907 in Springhill, N.S.

An affidavit to establish his birth was written by Mrs. Jessie Ferguson - cousin.

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi again Maryanne;

I can't find Duncan in the Nova Scotia Birth site but, the baptismal record is probably available at the Church where Duncans

parents attended. However, you will have to get that info. from Dr. St. Clair; because I don't know where in Whycocomaugh

they attended for their Church services.

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Well Maryanne; I always thought he was born in C.B. because it is on the marriage cert. Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Maryanne go to www.novascotiagenealogy.com. Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

THe government of Nova Scotia did not issue birth certificates in the 1840's as far as I know nor did they keep birth records at that early time. The presbyterian church Duncan's parents John Livingston Jr. and old kate attended may have kept baptismal records at the time but these record books kept by church ministers were often lost by the minister or destroyed by fire. That is why it is so hit and miss finding birth baptism and marriage records from early 19th century Canada and very often I might add quite frustrating. Later by the 1860's for the most part the goverments in Canada got their act together to systematically record birth, marriages and deaths.
Those earlier records that were kept by the church ministers and the government records have for the most part been indexed by provincial archives in Canada to make the search for family historians alot easier. If you were very lucky you might find a baptismal record for Duncan and less likely a birth record if the minister at Mull River or Mabou or wherever the local presbyterian church the family attended did not loose the records and they ended up years later in the hands of the Nova Scotia Archives or the Presbyterian church of Canada Archives or something like that. But in these old church there are a lot of ifs and no guarantees unlike the later 19th century records where you have a much better chance to find a birth record, marriage and death record of your ancestor.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta and Maryann,

According to Dr. St. Clair Old Kate was buried in the First Settlers Pioneer Cemetery in Hillsborough, Mabou. He states however that because there was no gaelic service at the Mabou Presbyterian Church alot of the old Mull people that settled at Mull River attended church at old Maclean Church later known as Stewartdale Church and are buried in the Stewartdale cemeteryin nearby Whycocomagh. I think Stewartdale is now a United Church of Canada church. This old Maclean Church was located in the Whycocomagh area before it burnt down in 1960. In the 1920's some of the Presbyterian churches in Canada joined with the methodist church of Canada to become the united Church of Canada. However there were more than a few Presbyterian congregations who were opposed to this amalgamation and thus there is today a Presbyterian Church of Canada and a United Church of Canada. Both of them have their own archives with United Church of Canada having I think both Methodist and some Presbyterian church records. The various provincial archives also probably have 19th century Presbyterian church records as I know the Ontario archives does.

regards,

Donald