Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Maryanne;

Information that may be about Duncan but until you confirm his date of birth and acquire his birth certificate all our search will be for naught. I will tell you this much the rest Jewel will give you when you confirm Duncans birth.

Port of New York

April 20, 1878 - Samuel Brooks List or Manifest of all the Passengers taken on board the SS Montreal whereof Samuel Brooks is Master.

Duncan Livingston age 37 U.S. to the U.S. Occupation Mechanic.

There is History but, until you get his birth certificate, we will be taking a chance of this History being all wrong.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi MaryAnn,
Youve probably seen this.
Here is the other part of that Livingston family of yours in 1881 back in 1881 Cape Breton
Youve probably seen this but here old Kate, some of her childrenincluding her son Hugh and her son in law Dougal Adams at Glencoe in Inverness County.

1881 Census Glencoe District, Inverness County, Cape Breton Note: family is located at Mull River

Dougal Adams 24 farmer married Flora Livingston
Flora Adams 25
Catharine Adams 1
Catharine Livingston age 65 widow (Old Kate) mother of your Duncan Livingston, wife of the late John Livingston Sr.
Ann Livingston 26
Hugh Livingston 30 farmer
Mary Livingston 32

There was also another daughter Catharine born abt. 1850 of Mull River who married James Adams probably a relative of Dougal Adams.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Mary ann,
Sorry I dont have access to any records from the 1874-1881 period that sheds any light on your ancestor Duncan. Just the 1871 Census.
regards.

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Has anyone been able to find Catharine in the 1871 census for Canada? I would really like to see if Duncan is with her? Or where is he in 1871? is he still in cape Breton. I wonder if someone could give me that information.

Regards Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

1871 Census
Mabou,Inverness County, Cape Breton Note:(S.E Mabou (Mull River))
Catharine Livingston age 59 (born PEI)
Mary Livingston age 27 (children all born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia)
Catharine Livingston age 25
Flora Livingston age 18
Ann Livingston age 16
Duncan Livingston age 30
John Livingston age 25
Hugh Livingston age 20

This census apparently has most of the children living with old Kate in 1871. According to Dr. St. Clair there was also a son Neal. Duncan apparently was the oldest son. Yes Duncan the year of his marriage was living at home in Inverness County, Cape Breton. From this census we get a birth date of about 1841 or 1840 for Duncan. Note that Dr. St. Clair stated that the elder daughter Mary Livingston of John Livingston Sr. and old Kate was born in 1841 so there is some descrepancy somewhere in the records that needs to be sorted out. The 1871 Census indicates that Mary was born about 1843 or 1844. He listed Duncan as the eldest followed by Mary but did not include a birth or death date for Duncan. Census records of course are not always reliable but often the only source of information.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

1901 Census Glencoe District, Inverness county, Cape Breton Note: family is still at Mull River

Hugh Livingston age 46 (note: Hugh never married)
Mary age 50 (sister)
Kate age 87 (mother)

The ages in these census records are all over the place to some degree

regards,

DOnald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Well I'll try this again, somehow my post vanished in this air.

Thank you so much for the 1871 census, that helped me.

I was convinced that the Duncan Livingston I found in the U.S. census for 1870,1880,1900,1910, & 1920 was our man. Now I know I was wrong about that.
I can say now that Maryanne's Duncan Livingston did not go to the U.S.

Roberta and I have been working very hard on this, we love a challenge.

Because of the terrible circumstances of Duncans marriage to Mary McDonald I think Duncan decided to go under the radar. I don't blame him, haveing a shot gun pointed at you is not something one would forget real soon. He might have even changed his name which would make him impossible to find.

In the process of going through the entire U. S. census I did find another Duncan Livingston that might be of interest for the future.

In the 1910 census for New Jersey I found a Duncan Livingston b. March 1863 in Nova Scotia. Liveing with him is his mother, Anna Livingston, widow, born Nova Scotia at the age of 82, (b. abt. 1828).

Thank You Again Donald, Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Mary Ann,

Thats great. When and where did you say Duncan married Mary McDonald?

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Don't forget guys and gals about my descendent, Colin's daughter Catherine or Katherine. At the time of colin's transfer of land to his son, in 1891, Katherine was living in the US and she was not married.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

I would not worry about a research dead end here and there. I have encountered them time an time again perhaps like me trying prove a branch of the McKinlay clan are really Macleas. I found some possible clues but noting in the end that could prove my McKinlay-Maclea theory. I have just given up on for moment out of frustration. It was not a total waste of time because in the process i located in 1841 all of the McKinlays concentrations in the Argyll and Bute Counties areas and Kyle and Andrew of the DNA project are interested in DNA test results of any McKinleys to see if there any connection between Mckinlays and more importantly with Macleas and Livingstons.

The quality of the work that you, Roberta and Barry are doing for the forum speaks for itself and it is exciting to have Mary Ann a new member of the Cape Breton Livingston research group. I consider myself just an honorary member because I dont have Livingston kin with any roots in Cape Breton. It does of course look like my ancestor Miles Livingston who settled in present day Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1812 and Ontario in 1815 shares a common ancestor with some of Cape Breton and PEI livingstons according to the DNA research so there may be a bit of a more distant family connection perhaps with an ancient Dunslea/Maclea ancestor when our Mull/Morvern Livingstons went by that name.

I shall provide you with as much info on Duncan and his kin at Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton as I have and with the info that Mary Ann has kindly shared with us perhaps some conclusions can be drawn regarding exactly what happened to Old Kate's son Duncan.

The Maclea Livingstone Society is indeed fortunate to have an enthusiastic and determined group of Cape Breton Livingstone family researchers and also lucky that there has been a significant amount of groundbreaking research done already by Dr. James St. Clair on this Mull River/S.E. Mabou,Inverness County, Livingston family.

There is a Cape Breton Genealogy and Historical Society which apparently has a large collection of Cape Breton related records that can be accessed upon payment of a small membership fee. I would encourage membership in this organization. They have a Whycocomagh Census of 1860. I would have thought it to be part of an1861 Census but the point is that there is some debate whether contained in this census is a Collen or Colleen Livingston actually Colin Livingston at Whycocomagh which is the ancestor of Barry Judson of PEI. His ancestor Colin Livingston we have proof lived in originally at Whycocomagh and probably a brother John Livingston Jr. of Mull River and like Alexander Livingston of neighbouring Whycocomagh. Anotherwards old kate would have Colin's sister in law if my theory is correct. I have not quite convinced Dr. St. Clair of this although he did see Colin Livingstons obituary from PEI indicating he was from Whycocomagh, Cape Breton. Not likely the family would make an error like that regarding Whycocomagh origins on his 1867 obituary. Anyway Barry and I have come to the conclusion that Colin and his sons John and Angus likely went to PEI in the 1860's. Colin should theoretically be in that 1860 or1861 Census of Whycocomagh though perhaps before he went to PEI but I would like to confirm by finding what page he is located in the Whycocomagh Census or if he at all. We had received information that Colin as Collen or Colleen Livingson is in that census but I think we are not so sure. So that is something I think I am hoping we can sort out for Barry in the not too distant future. If it is not in that census I would find it odd that someone would state they had found a mispelled Colin Livingston in there and the fact that we know from Colins obituary in 1867 that he had a Whycocomagh connection which few Livingston researchers in Nova Scotia would know. I hope it is in that census anyways.

regards,

Donald