North Carolina Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

This is great. No we "sheweth" have that in old UPper Canada land records. I think perhaps it is like shows or indicates that. That is way I interpreted it anyways. Yes she must have had a family and been married to McInnis. I cant say for certain that Duncan is not from Appin Parish, Argyll County, Scotland where some of the other highlanders were. It is interesting that Duncan is a close match to my Miles Livingston from Morvern and his wife was married to a McInnis. McInnis is one of the oldest clans living at Morvern and Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 the famous hero of the Battle of Culloden of Savary, Morvern was the son of John Livingstone and Ann McInnis. There was also a few Miles McInnises that lived at Savary, MOrvern apparently as well as a few Miles Livingstons at MOrvern in the records at Morvern and of course two in the baptismal records on the neighbouring Isle of lismore. So it is especially interesting to me in tryiing to connect this Duncan Livingston to a possible Morvern connection that his wife's first husband was of a predominately Morvern based Clan McInnis. Of course Duncan Livingston and this McInnis could have also lived at neighbouring Appin. At least I am 100% certain with this McINnis that Duncan and the others that he settled amongst likely had an Western Argyllshire and that would help to explain in part why David D. Livingston is a close match DNA wise to our family groups. It would be interesting to determine which parish his ancestor Duncan came from but certainly just to know that almost certainly came from highland western Argyllshire is a good thing in itself considering that it had been suggested that the family origins were in West Lothian in the lowlands which I am reasonbly certain is probably incorrect. Most of these Argyll folk apparently came directly from Appin Parish or whatever ever other neighbouring parish they mmight have associated with to North Carolina. Perhaps there is some documentation and research been done on these Appin settlers to North Carolina. I noticed there was a history of Scotland County, NC and I suspect someone has done research on the arrival of Appin, Argyllshire settlers from the 1770's to the 1790's to the port of Wilmington, North Carolina. I dont know if the Appin Historical Society had done research on this but they may have information on these Appin families that left in the late 1700's. Jeanne found a DUncan Livingston in the census records as early as 1800 at Wilmington, Richmond County, North Carolina but I think she the said the age was not quite right.

So we know now that Duncan was married to a Mary and that she was married to a McInnis. Dont know about the 1/4. Some of these old land records have some very interesting lanquage and terminology which is somewhat antiquated and confusing and of course the handwriting is often difficult to read.

Yes there were two other sons of Duncan and a few families connected to him that we have not sorted out as yet. NO doubt this is another Duncan D. kin of the original Duncan D. Livingston.

Please relay to Myrtle if you are intouch with her again how her information on this family is appreciated both by the Society at large and by David D. Livingston in particular. And by the way Jewel I dont think he had seen that death record for his grandfather Charles Livingston before and greatly appreciated that you had located that and the other info you found. It is quite wonderfull how this research is falling into place and making sense. For my part I am happy that I was able to determine with Jeanne Parker's assistance that Duncan had likely Western Argyll roots in the highlands. ANother of the five or six Livingstons that at least at the 25 marker level show a likely connection even if it is a few centuries back in Western Argyllshire when our people were a branch of the highland Macleas.

regard

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Thank you for a better understanding of this new information. I admire your knowledge of all of the Argyll families and their origins. That is not one of my strong points, but with your knowledge and my luck at finding this information, we end up with some great results.

Yes, I'm getting ready to e-mail Myrtle Bridges and thank her for her help. That was very nice of her to offer the information that is in her book. I will thank her myself and also the Livingston Society, and for David also.

I'm so glad I posted the info regarding Davids grandfather Charles, I almost didn't, thinking he probablly has seen it. So I'm happy it is new information for him. He might want to check with that Cemetery to see who else is buried with him or maybe an obit might be informative.

Anyway I'm glad this info was of help, and always happy to find something new.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

I should correct myself a bit regarding my last posting. If that record from 1809 is our Duncan Livingston then it Mary Mcinnes widower would a second wife as Ann McLEan is understood to have been the mother of John, Charles and Hugh b.1805 apparently the youngest. If we have this correct.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Yes, I had forgotten that the wife of Duncan Livingston was a Ann McEan, we need some more work on this I would say, which is a tough one. As you say this would have to be a second marriage for Duncan.

I did come across something I thought might be of interest. On the Richmond County web site I found a family tree for a Reverand Daniel White a scottish immigrant who according to this site was very well known to the Highlanders of Richmond County. His daughter, Mary White was married to a Charles Livingston b. 1787 d.1837.
It doesn't give Charles place of birth.

Do you know if Old Duncan b. 1774 Scotland had a brother by the name of Charles?

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

No unfortunately I dont know the name of the brothers except what that as stated in that history you located that there were six? brothers from Scotland that came to America or North Carolina? Certainly if that Charles has as you say a Richmond County connection and was born in the 1780's he might be a brother of Duncan. Certainly we know that Charles is a name in that family. Yes I wonder what happened to all those brothers who arrived in America at the same time as Duncan. Jeanne was interested in that 1809 document that Myrtle sent you and would likely be interested in the information about this Charles Livingston. She is going to look into locating land records.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Jeanne might want to look into this also.

Book, "Testators of Richmond County 1782-1900" There was a Charles Livingston listed for the year 1838 2/71.
I believe this is a page number. The Charles Livingston who married Mary White died in 1837. If she is interested in this family all of the children were listed for Charles and Mary White. There might have also been a contact person for this family tree. I do remember that there were 2 counties mentioned, Richmond and Scotland county. Actuallly they mentioned a Cemetery where some of this family is buried which was called, "Livingston/Smith Family Cemetery in Scotland County near a place called Wagram.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello,

In a biography of the poet John Charles McNeil from No. Carolina it states that his parents were Euphemia Livingston and Duncan McNeil. His grandparents were Charles Livingston(1787-1837) and Mary White. Euphemia was the daughter of Charles and Mary. It stated that John Charles Grandfather Charles Livingston was born Argylshire Scotland and died inScotland County No. Carolina.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

Total brilliance. Dont know who this Charles is as yet but it is interesting that Hugh had two sons named Charles. A interesting coincidence that one of the pioneers of RIchmond/Scotland County North Carolina would turn out to be a Charles Livingston. I will see what Jeanne has to say about this. Also we have pretty much established that these Livingstons whether kin or not are our people from Western Argyllshire. And now we have DNA to further prove a highland connection if there was any doubt. I am both surprised and pleased that there was this was information on these Scotland County Livingston leading us to be able to make some sort conclusion about their origins and their connection to our branch of the Maclea Livingstons.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Excellent work, all of you! It sounds like this is a real coming together of traditional and 21st century genealogy. Bravo! :D

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

I wrote to Myrtle Bridges and asked her if she might know if there were any passenger lists available for the Livingstons that migrated to No. Carolina, this is her reply.

" I'm sorry to say I don't have the answer to your question. They aren't on the few lists I have. I understand that as a general rule they didn't pay much attention to documenting the people about the early ships. Their main interest was their cargo, the people who were lucky enough to get on board were the ones who made it to America. There are a few records at the NC Archives, but Duncan Livingston wasn't among the names I saw. Don't give up, you just never know where your answers will show up. Myrtle."

This was disappointing, but Myrtle was right on the money when she states "You just never know where your answers will show up." How true, how true.

Jewel