North Carolina Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I am interested in hearing from and locating Livingstons who descend from highland settlers from Argyll, Scotland who settled during the period of 1770's to the 1790's in North Carolina along with Stewarts McColls, Carmichaels, McInnises, McCormicks and others. Some of these Livingstons may have been distantly related to my Livingston cousin and I. Today the descendants of these highland settlers may still live in Richmond, Scotland, Cumberland and other neihbouring Counties with persons of highland Scot origin in North Carolina. Presumingly there are Livingstons in North Carolina that originated from both Mull/Colonsay/Morvern and Appin.
Jewel

Re: North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Did you see my post in regards to North Carolina Livingston's? I posted the Livingston's in the 1790 census for North Carolina. It is on the old forum. If you want me to check for later years in the census's let me know.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thank-you for that. I think the family I am looking for arrived the following year in 1791 but I was hoping to get a sense of how many where there by 1790 from the 1790 Census. In addition to Cumberland there was Richmond and Scotland County where some of them might have settled. I dont know for certain. One of these families seems to be distantly related to my Livingston and cousin and apparently related to you and Roberta. I will know more by the end of the month regarding this.

In addition to a North Carolina Livingston we have a close match from Australia, one from Britain, and a few from Maritime Canada with Cape Breton connections. The Australian has Mull or Colonsay roots with a possible link to Cape Breton. Though the connection among these individuals may be several hundred years ago when we were celtic Dunsleas before Macleas or Livingstone in Western Argyll, Andrew has acknowledged that this seems to be well defined highland group of our people. The 37 and 67 marker tests by the end of the month will determine which of the five or so Livingstons are possibly closely related to my third cousin within a couple hundreds or more. Looks like a good start for this group and I hope to encourage others with Mull and Morvern links that know to join the project to see where that takes us and to further test my theory out regarding the origins of this group.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I took a look at the Livingstons for all counties for No. Carolina. I will look closer but I did see in the census for 1850 a few Livingston's that I thought might be of interest.

John Livingston born 1787 in No. Carolina (this could be a son of the Livngston family that I posted earlier for the 1790 census in No. Carolina) his wife name is Jane and they are living in Sumter County, town of Georgia,No. Carolina.

Then there was a Duncan Livingston b. 1774 in Scotland in the 1850 census for Montgomery County, No. Carolina living with a Euphemia and Marin Parsons.

John Levingston born 1796 Scotland living alone in Bladen, No.Carolina in the 1850 census.

Mary Livingston b.1790,North Carolina living in Anson No. Carolina.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for that. That Duncan Livingston I would wager was probably a highlander.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

I dont yet have the details regarding a Hugh Livingston and Mary Gibson but they are apparently the ancestors of David Duncan Livingston. I think they lived in Richmond County, North Carolina. Hugh's father was Duncan Livingston I think. If you could try the 1860 and 1870 Census they might be in North Carolina somewhere possibly Richmond County. I think Hugh was born before 1830 and they were married before 1855 so the 1860 Census might have them. Hopefully I can get more info to work with later. I would appreciate it if you could look for them. I am hoping to work as far back to 1850 and 1860 and see later on which Scottish pioneers might connect with Hugh and this Duncan. Presumingly David's ancestors could connect with your Cape Breton ancestors and my ancestors of my ancestor Miles Livingston if I am intrepreting the early DNA results correctly. North Carolina is known to have been a place where some highland Scottish families from Argyllshire settled in the 1700's, some from Appin Parish and perhaps some from other nearby Parishes.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I don't know if this is who you are interested in but take a look and see what you think. I first took a look at the 1860 census for Richmond County only.

1860 Richmond County Wolf Pitt (district)

Hugh Livingston age 56 N.C.
Mary " 42
John 16
Duncan 15
Mary 13
Martha 11
Sarah 9
Hugh 7
Peter 5

also living with this family are
John Brown age 26,School teacher
John Brown age 6/12

In the 1860 census for Robeson County town of Lumberton

Duncan Livingston age 30 b. NC
S. " 24
L. " 20
L.G. " 18
Also living with this family is a Family with the last name Bayboy.

This is unusual that the census taker just wrote down first initials !

For the 1870 census for Richmond County the family of Hugh Livingston is the same accept children Duncan and Mary are not in the household and there is another son named Peter age 5.

This census also stated that Hugh (head of household) is son of foreign born parents.

Now, also in Richmond County in Laurel Hill TWP. in 1870 there is another Livingston family

David Livingston age 40 b. N.C.
Mary 64
Mary 36
Sarah 34
Angelina 32
Carolina 30
Charley 11
Sally 8
Martha 3

David is also stated as parents being foreign born.

There was also a Duncan LivingstonE in anson county, who is 68 b. N.C. I won't put the details unless you think they would be of interest.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Found this on the Richmond County No. Carolina Historical Society site.

THE HERITAGE OF RICHMOND COUNTY

Highland Scots were among the first to settle in this area of North Carolina. Most of the Scottish immigrants landed near the mouth of the Cape Fear River, and came up the river in search of fresh grazing and crop lands. When good lands became unavailable in vicinity of Cross Creek, they began moving westward and getting land grants in what is now Richmond, Moore, and Scotland and Montgomery Counties.

Richmond County No. Carolina has a Historical Society which can be found at http://www.rchs-nc.net

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

Thank-you for the history of the highland Scot settlement in North Carolina, That was my understanding as well that Richmond County in particular and some of the adjacent Counties were places were highlanders settled in the 1700's. I think one of those might be the family of Duncan David Livingston's ancestors. Not 100% certain.

I have more information David Duncan Livingston's ancestors for you. This should help. We are looking for his great grandfather Hugh Alexander Livingston born abt. 1805 and his son, Davi'd's grandfather Charles Hannah Livingston born abt. 1865. The family apparently settled in the part of Richmond County which in 1899 changed its name to Scotland County. So I guess they would show up in the Richmond County records but as there is Scotland County Genealogical Society they might have information or know where records pertaining to those who lived in the part of Richmond County now part of Scotland County are located. A surounding County is Robeson and I believe there were some Livingstons in this County as well. So the old Richmond County Census records would include those that lived in what later became Scotland County. I am going to start there and then see what records are available before 1850 regarding this and other Livingston families that settled in Richmond/Scotland Counties and Robeson County. Certainly there is a good general sense that highland settlers including some from Appin in our area of Argylshire settled in this area.

The age of the Hugh Livingston in the census record was close to what David;s would have been. If only we could find a son Charles about 6 or so in the 1870 living in Richmond County. I should ask him how certain he is about these birth dates and locations. Anyways lets see what we can find. Thanks again.

regards,

Donald

Duncan's grandfather
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Through the help of Jeanne Parker whose family is involved in the DNA project I think we have figured out David Duncan Livingston's ancestry.

There is no indication of what County his ancestors came from as of yet but the story goes that in the late 1700's six brothers left Scotland for America and one of the brother a Duncan Livingston settled in Richmond County, North Carolina where he married Annie McLean and they had three sons John, Charles and Hugh. It is understood that the majority of the Livingstons of Richmond and Scotland Counties are decendants of Duncan's son Hugh Livingston.

Then she found a Duncan Livingston listed in the 1800, 1810 and 1820 Census records. But what is interesting is that the 1830 Census for Richmond County where the family lived lists a aged Duncan Livingston with one son 20-30 presuming his youngest Hugh born abt. 1805 and girl 5-10 and Duncan's wife 60 to 70

The 1840 Census then lists Hugh in Richmond County , NC married with a son and daughter

By the 1850 Census Hugh still residing in Richmond COunty NC has a wife and six children.

I have not found Charles born abt. 1865 a son of Hugh in the later census but I should be able to sort it out with David and Jeanne. She has been in touch the last few weeks with questions and suddenly I asked her a few and this sudden credible history of the Livingstons of Richmond County emerged. This really is a big help to our new North Carolina Livingston research posting and step closer in understanding how this North Carolina Livingston family linked through the DNA test might be somehow related to your Dunlea- Maclea - Livingston ancestor, Roberta's and mine some undetermined centuries ago.

regards,

Donald