North Carolina Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald, I took a look for Charles Livingston and this is what I found so far.

1870 County of Richmond, Williamsons Township, all born N.C.

Hugh Livingston 66
Mary " wife 54
John 26
Martha 21
Sarah 19
Hugh Jr. 17
Peter H. 15
Joseph A. 10
Charles 6

1880 Richmond County, Williamsons Township all born N.C.

Mary Livingston widow 62
Hugh son 26
Sally (hugh's wife) ?
Joseph 20
Charles 15

I found one Charles in the census for 1900 in Scotland County, N.C. but the birth doesn't match up.

Charles Livingston age 40, b. Sept. 1859

wife Connie ? 38,b. 11/1867
daughter Jenette 12 b.10/1887
son James 10 b.01/1890
Daughter Mary P. 3 b.8/1896

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Just thought I would post a few interesting tidbits that I came across in searching for Livingstons in Richmond County N.C.
I think I found this info on a website of Myrtle N. Bridges, she has done extensive genealogy work for Richmond County.

a book titled "Final Words" written by Myrtle N. Bridges

This is compiled of 772 Original Wills by Richmond County North Carolina Testators years 1779-1915. There was an index of names in the book and the Livingstons that caught my eye were.

Charles Livingston pages 251,252,304

D. D. Livingston page 369

Daniel Livingston

Hugh Livingston page 43,307,521

Hugh Livingston page 451

This book can be purchased (60.00 (US) or also can be found at the Richmond County Archives.

Donald you had also mentioned the surname of McColl, in the Land Entries for 1793 Richmond county there was a John McColl#469 100 acres in Richmond County, and also a Hugh McColl #472 50 acres Richmond County both for year 1793.

I also saw alot of info for Richmond county on the genweb site, if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Found a death record for Charles Hannah Livingston.

Death date: Dec. 28,1937
Death place: Greenwood, Houston, Alabama
Est. birth year: 1865
birth Place: North Carolina,
Mothers name: Mary Gibson
Fathers name: Hugh Livingston
Spouse's name: Martha J. Livingston
Cemetery: Friendship
Burial date: Dec. 29,1937

taken from family search Pilot search.

Also there was a Charles H. Livingston in the 1920 census forJackson Florida b. 1868 wife Martha and 6 children.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

OK I have sorted out David's grandfather. He should be in the 1870 Census with Hugh and Mary but regardless he does infact show up in the subsequent 1880 Census for Williamson, Richmond County, North Carolina. His father Hugh apparently is no longer living and her son Hugh and some other of the younger members of the family are still living on their farm. The Mother mary in the 1880 Census seems to match up nicely with the Mary in the 1860 Census that Jeanne located.

1880 Williamson, Richmond County, NC
Mary age 62
Hugh age 24
Sallie age 16
Joseph age 20
Charlie age 15 (that would be David Duncan Livingston's grandfather I presume)

1860 Wolf Pitt District, Richmond County, N C

Hugh age 56
Mary age 42
John age 16
Duncan age 15
Mary age 13
Martha age 11
Sarah age 9
Hugh age 7
Peter age 5

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Fantastic work. I think we have pretty much established the origins of David Duncan Livingston family in North Carolina and located his ancestors thanks to you and Jeanne.

It is possible though not proven that this Duncan D. Livingston the probable ancestor of the Richmond County/Scotland COunty Livingstons including David Duncan Livingston originated from Morvern or Mull. At least a 50-50 chance anyways. More than likely Argyllshire County in any event.
The famous Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern had several sons as did his brother Hugh also known by the family as Ewen. Some of Ewen's family ended up in Ohio and we tracked down author Duncan Livingston and Aunts family in a search that led us to Ohio and even New York that was discussed in the old forum. I am hoping someday to locate decendants not only of this Ewen Livingston but hopefully those of Donald Livingstone. Hopefully in the next few years with research and the DNA project I can determine which Morvern families my ancestor Miles Livingston a native of Morvern connected with.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

I dont know about Livingstons from Mull or Morvern settling in Richmond/Scotland Counties in North Carolina but there it is a well known fact among the historians in Scotland County that highlanders from Appin Parish, Argyll County settled there when it was still part of old Richmond County in the 1780's and 1790's arriving at the port of Wilmington, North Carolina. Stewartville Cemetery near Laurinburg, Scotland COunty contains the remains of a number of families of Appin origin including a John Thomas McColl b.1774 in Appin. So it seems quite likely that pioneer settler Duncan D. Livingston who settled in what is today Scotland County, North Carolina in the 1790's may be of Appin or neighbouring Mull/Morvern origin.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

1850 Williamson District Richmond County, North Carolina

Hugh Livingston age 47 farmer
Mary age 32
Charles age 11 (not correct age but it is right person)
Anne age 10
John age 7
Duncan age 6
Mary age 4
Martha age 1

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Actually if I understood correct that Charles age 11 in the 1850 Census later joined the Confederate army as a young man and was killed. David's ancestor CHARLES I believe was born in 1865 and named after him his older brother. I will check that out but I think I got that right. The war ended in 1864 or 1865 didnt it?

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I received an E-mail today from Myrtle Bridges who is in charge of the Richmond County N.C. website on genweb. I'm not sure if any of this will be useful to anyone but I thought I would post it anyway. I don't understand it completely , but maybe you will have a better understanding of it.

I did see the info you mentioned in regards to Stewartville Cemetery near Laurinburg,Scotland County. I guess there were quit a few Highlanders from Appin who settled there. Very interesting.

Here is what Myrtle Bridges mailed to me.

Duncan D. Livingston died the 3rd day of July 1892, she states his estate record appears in her book, "Book II Estate Records". I don't think this is the Duncan D. that arrived from the Highlands around 1791 do you?

Duncan Livingston July 4, 1861 issue NC Argus, died in Richmond county near Lilesville on the 11th inst. age 71 He leaves an aged widow, 5 sons & 3 daughters.

Do you know what the 11th inst means? I don't.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

This informaion was sent also from Myrtle Bridges. Taken from Myrtle Bridges book. "Our Native Heath"

1809 December Term Richmond County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions. To the Worshipful the Justices of the County aforesaid now in Session. The Petition of Duncan Livingston and Mary his wife respectfully sheweth that Mary Livingston, one of your petitioners, was formerly married to one John McInnis, that afterwards about the year one thousand and seven hundred and 1/4 the said John McInnis purchased a tract of land lying in the county 1/4 near the So. Carolina line 1/4 containing one hundred acres lying on the east side of Crooked Creek of which land the said John McInnis died seized and possessed leaving issue two children (to wit) Alexander and Nancy. Alexander died without issue and the Nancy having intermarried with one Charles McMilland is also dead leacing an infant son John McMillan who is the sole heir at las of the said John McInnis deceased 1/4 1/4. Richmond County Estate Records CR. 082.508.38

Ok, Donald could you please explain someof this to me? Like, what does Seweth mean? Is it also saying that Duncan's wife Mary had a previous marriage to John McInnis? I also don't understand what the "1/4" represent. So did Duncan's wife Mary have 2 children with John McInnis, before marrying Duncan Livingston?

Jewel