North Carolina Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Jewel,

My experience with searching archives for family history info is that sometimes you find a bit here and there, sometimes you find absolutely nothing and sometimes you find a goldmine of rare family history related information including rare previously unknown documents.

You just have to make the effort to search not knowing the outcome. There are unfortunately no guarantees you will find anything. But we have for the most part been lucky as all family research that we have done with the forum over the years has proven. You have access to a lot of information which has proven most helpful to the Society and that is greatly appreciated. Although we are sometime referred to as being small clan I believe infact that there are many Macleas and Livingstons out there that we have not heard from and who are like us interested in learning about their Maclea Livingstone roots and connecting with their ancestors. If we at the Maclea Livingstone Society can help to make that happen then I think we are accomplishing something significant. It is my hope that with the new forum our Clan Chief Baron Livingstone has kindly set up for us that we see greater numbers visiting the forum both from abroad and from Scotland itself.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel;

As you know I spend a lot of time on the Mull Geneaology Site.

Hugh Livingston born Sept. 21, 1808, Sorne, Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland

Son of Duncan Livingston and Catherine McDonald

Other children:

Neil b. Feb. 24, 1811 Mull

Duncan - - died March 16, 1892 in Mull. His wife was Mary McInnes. Duncan b. Jun 22, 1812,Lephein, Mull
Died Mar 16, 1892 Dervaig, Mull
Margaret b. Aug. 21, 1814

John dec. 6, 1816, Mull

Charles Feb. 19, 1818.

1841 Morvern Census, Colipole. Catherine age 60 is living with Neil age 30, John age 25 and Duncan age 20.

One of our matches is a descendent of Angus Livingston and another John 1773

Angus married Christian Cameron Feb. 1, 1773. They had the following children. All born in the same Parish as the previously mention Hugh b. 1808. All dates are baptismal dates.

John bap. Dec. 26, 1773

Hugh Oct. 15, 1776

Lachlan June 2, 1779

Duncan July 6, 1782

Mary Oct. 10, 1784

Duncan June 17, 1787 ------ Source OPR Kilninian

Archives by: Harry Stracener, great grandson of James T. Livingston

Contributor's Note: James T. Livingston was the son of Duncan Livingston and A. Williams. Duncan first settled in Anson Co., N.C. about 1804, then moved on to Montgomery C., N.C. There he raised his family near the Plantation of the famed Flora McDonald, who was famous for her loyalities to Bonnie Prince Charlie and for her recuiting efforts in the American Revolution. Tradition reveals some of the children were actually born on the Plantation, including James T. Livingston.

James moved from Montomery C., N.C. to nearby Anson and bought a piece of land on Savannah Creek, where others of the same name resided, probably cousins. There he met and married the daughter of Nimrod and Sarah Redfern. In 1849 the family moved to East Texas where James built a two story log house. Sarah died around 1853, leaving James to raise his family alone and he never re-married. A grandson, in later years recalled that his grandfather, James, was a fine man, tall and broad shouldered; in stature, as were many of his male descendents. James enjoyed smoking his long-stemmed clay pipe and kept a jug nearby.

James kept in touch with his kin in North Carolina and on one occasion wrote to his nephew, Edward, son of John his brother who was still in Montgomery Co.

1860, on April 28, Mr. Peter Parker, at the advanced age of near ninety years. He was a native of Hertford Co., N.C. and emigrated and settled in Anson (now Union) Co., in his youth, where he raised a large family.

In Anson County, near Lilesville, on the 11th of June or July. Mr. Duncan Livingston, aged 71 years. He leaves an aged widow, five sons and three daughters. He was, for many years, a worthy member of the Methodist Church.

1859 John R. Livingston Esq., was conducting marriages.

Anson Co., near Lilesville, on Friday evening last: Jan. 4, 1861, Miss Mary Livingston aged 78 years...while returning to her home from Samuel Smith s Sr....a member of the M.E. Church for fifty years.

Roberta s Note: Could this be the Mary born to Angus and Christian Oct., 1784...

That s all for now:

Regards;

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

So there we have a North Carolina Livingston family that has Kilninian and Kilmore roots. That would explain why some Livingstons in North Carolina are a close match to your family. I wonder where in Argyllshire that Duncan Livingstone of Richmond later Scotland COunty NC came from. Perhaps he is also from Kilninian and Kilmore Parish in Mull. I would bet either from Mull or from nearby Appin where we know alot of the other Scotland County NC familes are said to have come from. In any event this certainly might help to explain your ancestral connection to Livingstons that lived or or living in the highland scottish areas of North Carolina. I am really finding these North Carolina leads very interesting. As my ancestor Miles Livingston stated he was born at Morvern across from Mull chances would be good that some Livingstons whose ancestors came from parishes in Mull might by chance be a close match to a present day Livingston descendant of Miles.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

Regarding that land record from 1809 pertaining to a Duncan Livingston and Mary widow of John Mcinnis that Myrtle has, it is mentioned in the record that McINnises property is near Crooked Creek. I would assume this is the same Duncan Livingston that we have been researching. Crooked Creek by the way is located in Southern Richmond County and continues south into a corner of what is now referred to as Scotland County and then flows south quite a ways into Marlboro County in South Carolina. So it sounds like this Duncan could very well be the same Duncan and perhaps his first wife Ann McLean died sometime before 1809. Cant say for certain but this lot of late John McINNis certainly is within the Richmond/Scotland County area.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Roberta,
Thanks for this info it is interesting and always appeciated, as you state this Duncan mentioned below was married to a Mary McInnes in Argyll, but I don't think this is the same Duncan Livingston and Mary McInnis that I had mentioned in the earlier post that I made. As the info that I gave on this Duncan and Mary were in Richmond County in the year 1809.

Regards Cousin Jewel
Roberta Ann wrote:Hi Jewel;

As you know I spend a lot of time on the Mull Geneaology Site.

Hugh Livingston born Sept. 21, 1808, Sorne, Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland

Son of Duncan Livingston and Catherine McDonald

Other children:

Neil b. Feb. 24, 1811 Mull

Duncan - no birth date - died March 16, 1892 in Mull. His wife was Mary McInnes. Duncan b. Jun 22, 1812,Lephein, Mull
Died Mar 16, 1892 Dervaig, Mull
Margaret b. Aug. 21, 1814

John dec. 6, 1816, Mull

Charles Feb. 19, 1818.

Looks to me that this Duncan left the U.S. and went home -- to die?

One of our matches is a descendent of Angus Livingston and another John 1773

Angus married Christian Cameron Feb. 1, 1773. They had the following children. All born in the same Parish as the previously mention Hugh b. 1808. All dates are baptismal dates.

John bap. Dec. 26, 1773

Hugh Oct. 15, 1776

Lachlan June 2, 1779

Duncan July 6, 1782

Mary Oct. 10, 1784

Duncan June 17, 1787 ------ Source OPR Kilninian

Archives by: Harry Stracener, great grandson of James T. Livingston

Contributor's Note: James T. Livingston was the son of Duncan Livingston and A. Williams. Duncan first settled in Anson Co., N.C. about 1804, then moved on to Montgomery C., N.C. There he raised his family near the Plantation of the famed Flora McDonald, who was famous for her loyalities to Bonnie Prince Charlie and for her recuiting efforts in the American Revolution. Tradition reveals some of the children were actually born on the Plantation, including James T. Livingston.

James moved from Montomery C., N.C. to nearby Anson and bought a piece of land on Savannah Creek, where others of the same name resided, probably cousins. There he met and married the daughter of Nimrod and Sarah Redfern. In 1849 the family moved to East Texas where James built a two story log house. Sarah died around 1853, leaving James to raise his family alone and he never re-married. A grandson, in later years recalled that his grandfather, James, was a fine man, tall and broad shouldered; in stature, as were many of his male descendents. James enjoyed smoking his long-stemmed clay pipe and kept a jug nearby.

James kept in touch with his kin in North Carolina and on one occasion wrote to his nephew, Edward, son of John his brother who was still in Montgomery Co.

1860, on April 28, Mr. Peter Parker, at the advanced age of near ninety years. He was a native of Hertford Co., N.C. and emigrated and settled in Anson (now Union) Co., in his youth, where he raised a large family.

In Anson County, near Lilesville, on the 11th of June or July. Mr. Duncan Livingston, aged 71 years. He leaves an aged widow, five sons and three daughters. He was, for many years, a worthy member of the Methodist Church.

1859 John R. Livingston Esq., was conducting marriages.

Anson Co., near Lilesville, on Friday evening last: Jan. 4, 1861, Miss Mary Livingston aged 78 years...while returning to her home from Samuel Smith s Sr....a member of the M.E. Church for fifty years.

Roberta s Note: Could this be the Mary born to Angus and Christian Oct., 1784...

That s all for now:

Regards;

Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I don't know if this is the Duncan Livingston we were looking for, you would be a better judge of that than I. I just thought this 1809 record of Duncan Livingston would definately be an important piece of information.

I happen to be reading a novel which is suppose to be historically researched. It starts out in the late 1770's when some of the highland clans have settled in Cross Creek N. Carolina and are getting ready to fight. So it is a little weird for me to be reading this and at the same time doing research for the Livingstons who have settled in No. Carolina. But it is fascinateing to read about these Highlanders lives in their new world, and to think this was only a little over 200 years ago, amazeing!

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

North Carolina was a major settlement point for highlanders in the mid to late 1700's so I guess this is why we finding Livingstons in the principal North Carolina counties where highlanders from Argyllshire settled. It is a coincidence that you be reading that book.

No doubt many of the Livingston families that Roberta has located in the Mull Genealogy are connected somehow to our Mull group of Livingstons.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

As a number of Livingston families may have arrived between 1790 and 1800 in North Carolina it might be worth checking the 1800, 1810 and 1820 Census for Livingstons in Anson, Montgomery, Scotland, Cumberland and Richmond if you have not already. I am curious to see what we can learn from the early census records regarding that Livingston family that settled from Argyllshire in Anson County, North Carolina.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Funny you should ask, I was just starting to work on that as of last night, not quite finished with it yet. As soon as I finish it I will post it.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Here is a list of Livingston,Livingstone,& Levingstons found in the census of 1790,1800,1810,& 1820 in North Carolina. I included all Counties, just because.

1790 Census :
Cumberland County
Robert Livingston, 1 male 16 & over
1 male , 15 & under
1 female,
Sampson County
John Livingston 1 male 16 &over
5 male 15 & under
3 female

John Livingston 1 male 15 & over
1 male 15 or under
1 Female

Craven County (Henry & Samuel living next door to each other)
Henry Levingston 1 male 16 &over
2 male 15 & under
3 females
Samuel Levingston 1 male 16 & over
1 female

1800 U.S. census

Anson County, Fayetteville

August(Angus?)Livingston 1 male 9 or under 2 female under 9
1 male 16-25 2 " 10-15
1 male, 45 or over 1 " over 45

Craven County, dist. New Bern

Henry Livingston 1 male 26-44
1 female 45 or over

New Hanover County,Wilmington

Duncan Livingston 1 male 10-16
1 male 26-45
1 female 16-26
Wilkes County, ( No district listed)

John Livingston 2 male 9 or under 2 female 9 or under
1 male 26-44 1 female 26-44

1810 U.S. Cunsus

Wilkes County ( these 2 John's were living next door to each other)
John Livingston 1 male 9 or under 3 female 9 or under

John O. Livingston 1 male 16-25 1 female 10-15
1 male 26-44 2 female 16-25
1 male 45 or over 1 female 26-44

Cumberland County,Fayetteville

Mrs. Livingston 1 female over 45
1 female 16-25

Richmond County, Rockingham

Duncan Levingston 2 males 9 or under 2 female 9 or under
1 male 10-15 1 female over 45
1 male over45

Duncan Levingston 3 male 9 or under 2 female 10-15
1 male 10-15 1 female 26-44
1 male 26-44 1 female 45 or over
1 male 45 or over

Duncan Levingston 2 male 9 or under 1 female 26-44
2 male 10-15
1 male 16-24

Robeson County

Peter Levingston 1 male 9 or under 1 female 10-15
1 male 16-25 1 female 16-25
1 male 45 or over 1 female 45 or over

1820 U.S. census

Anson County
Angus Livingston 1 male 10-15 1 female 16-25
2 male 16-25 1 female 26-44
1 male 26-44

(next door to Angus) John Livingston 1 male 26-44 4 female 0-9
1 female 10-15
1 female 16-28

Cumberland County,fayetteville

Catherine Livingston 1 female 10-15
1 female 45 or over

Charles Livingston 2 male 26-44 2 female 9 or under
1 female 16-25
1 female 26-44

Robeson County
Peter Livingston 1 male 16-25 1 female 16-25

Wilkes County

John Livingston 2 male 0-9 1 female 0-9
1 male 10-15 1 female 10-15
1 male 26-44 2 female 16-25
1 female 26-44

John O. Livingston 1 male 16-25 1 female 16-25

Martin Livingston 2 male 0-9 2 female 10-15

Buncombe County

John Livingston 1 male 0-9 2 female 0-9
2 male 10-15 1 female 10-15
1 male 45 or over 1 female 26-44
1 female 45 or over

Wayne County

Levingston 1 male 0-9 1 female 16-25
1 male 16-25

Richmond County

Duncan Levingston 2 male 10-15 1 female 45 or over
1 male 16-28
1 male 18-25
1 male 45 or over

Granville County

James Levingston 1 male 45 or over 1 female 16-25
1 female 45 or over

I think that is it, I will go back and double check but I didn't see any Livingstons for Montgomery County in these early census for U.S.

Cheers, Jewel