North Carolina Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Jewel »

For the August or Angus Livingston in Anson County,Fayetteville for the year 1800 it should read.

1 male 9 or under
1 male 16-25
1 male 45 or over
2 female 9 or under
2 female 10-15
1 female 45 or over

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,
Angus was definitely a pioneer Livingstone of Anson County, North Carolina. Interestingly in the search for an early Charles Livingston of North Carolina, I noticed there was Charles Livingston born in North Carolina b. 1800 parents both born in North Carolina residing in Mitchell's Township, Pike County, Alabama in the 1880 U.S. Census. I suspect that this a different family was in North Carolina prior to Scotland County family we are researching who arrived as late as the 1790's.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Donald,

That is really interesting I wonder if this Charles in Alabama who was born 1800 in No.Carolina could be a brother of Hugh Livingston born 1804 in North Carolina or maybe a cousin. Then there is the biography that I had found for a poet John Charles McNeil, born N.C. who's grandfather was Charles Livingston, b.1787 Argyll, Scotland d. 1837 No. Carolina. Lots to think about.
I thought your idea so interesting that I took a stab at it myself for some of the southern states. In Georgia for the 1860 census there was a John Livingston age 74, born N.C. born about 1786.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,
You read my mind. My thoughts exactly. But I am not entirely certain. I just received some of the Duncan D. Livingston info from Jeanne in the mail today and yes I think that the Charles I found in the Alabama in the 1880 Census born 1800 in North Carolina could very well be one of the three sons of Duncan D. Livingston. There was acccording to a history of the family three sons of Duncan D. Livingston and his first wife Ann McLean : John, Charles and Hugh. As Hugh is born abt. 1805 or 1804 then it stands to reason that any Charles Livingston that we find that was born circa 1800 could our lost Charles Livingston particulary when the Alabama census indicates he and his family were from North Carolina. Only problem is that it states that his parents were born in North Carolina and it is not likely that Duncan D. Livingston was born in North Carolina given that he arrived in the 1790's from Scotland had a family in the early 1800's. Of course the census information regarding the parents could be an error. Wish I knew for certain.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi All;

From fulkerson.org

In 1770, Peter Livingston became the first settler in the Hiltons area when he established a farm on the North Fork of the Holston; at the mouth of Livingston Creek, about nine miles northeast of present-day Hiltons. Endt.

Flora McDonald and her husband Allan McDonald came to live in North Carolina, 1774. They settled along Cheek Creek on the present-day Loving Hill Road in Montgomery Co. She and her husband were active loyalists during the American Revolution and for their stand their property was conficated and she went into hiding. Two sons died while serving in the British Military. Eventually, she returned to Scotland; where she and her husband lived with relatives until their deaths in the early 1790's.

She was a quixotic character and personification of the doomed Highlander (Celtic vestige) way of life. Her gravestone inscribes, Dr. Samuel Johnson's epitath. "Her name will be mentioned in History and if courage and fidelity be virtues, mentioned with Honour".

Regards;

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Old Scottish Cemetery, Montcomery County, N.C.

Livingston, James 1833, son of Alexander and Jane Robinson Livingston

Livingston, James T. 1744 - 11/9/1834
Livingston, Nancy T. 1748 - 12/19/1836, wifew of James T. Livingston

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta or Roberta Ann,

There is a certain irony in the fact that a significant number of North Carolina highlanders like Flora MacDonald became diehard loyalist supporters of King George III, given the treatment they and their families received a generation earlier after the Battle of Culloden by the King's Uncle the notorious Duke of Cumberland nicknamed with good reason the Butcher of Cumberland.

The story of Flora MacDonald and her role in helping Bonnie Prince Charlie is legendary.

It would be interesting to learn more about this Peter Livingston.

regards,

Cousin Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Oh yes Donald I love Flora McDonald and marvel at her courage and tenacity.

I found this in Hoke County, Raeford, N.C., Cemetery.

Livingstone, D. J. 1834 - 1914, June 6.
Livingston, Isabella 1794 - 1880, Aug. 4
Livingston, Isabella C. 1833 - 1913, Feb. 20
Livingston, JOHN 1815 - 1891, Apr. 23
Livingston, Mary Margaret 1838 - 1916, Jan. 31
Livingston, Peter 1788 - 1862, May 29
Livingston, Susan 1840 - 1916, May 16

Your cousin, Roberta Ann
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

It is great that the groundwork has been laid for North Carolina Livingston research by yourself, Jewel, Jeanne and others should North Carolina Livingstons visit the site in the future. I dont think all the Livingstons that settled in North Carolina were neccessarily from highland Argyll County but certainly the ones that settled in Richmond County who apparently had some ancestral connection to our ancestors were.
regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Roberta or Roberta Ann,

There is a certain irony in the fact that a significant number of North Carolina highlanders like Flora MacDonald became diehard loyalist supporters of King George III, given the treatment they and their families received a generation earlier after the Battle of Culloden by the King's Uncle the notorious Duke of Cumberland nicknamed with good reason the Butcher of Cumberland.

The story of Flora MacDonald and her role in helping Bonnie Prince Charlie is legendary.

It would be interesting to learn more about this Peter Livingston.

regards,

Cousin Donald
Hello Donald,

Your mention of North Carolina Highlanders who were diehard loyalist supporters of King George III caught my eye.
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'm reading a novel which takes place in Cross Creek,North Carolina just before the Revolution. The Main character is a Highlander named Jamie Fraser who is falsely presenting himself as a loyalist, as are many of the highlanders who are living on his land. The reason being was the threat of being arrested for treason. Just thought you might find this interesting.

Cousin ,Jewel