North Carolina Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Alan Livingston

Re: North Carolina Livingstons

Post by Alan Livingston »

Donald,

I have disappointing news about the Charles Livingston connection. I thought exactly what you did about the Charles who married into the White family, but looks like that is a different Charles, not Hugh's brother.

I mentioned in previous posts about a Livingston group around Wagram, NC, in a small community call Riverton. This is in Scotland county, but almost on the opposite side, on the Lumber river,which was then known as Drowning Creek.Descendants presently operate a winery there called Cypress Bend, and I know them. We had briefly discussed a possible connection, but, at the time, we were unsure. Just about a week ago I got in touch with a family member who has reliable sounding hand written notes that list the siblings of their Charles, and they are totally different from our Charles. They have evidence that their Charles immigrated in the 1820s, married the oldest daughter of a well known Reverend White, had a son named Daniel White Livingston, etc, etc. Daniel had no male offspring, so the
Livingston name stopped there for their family. interestingly their Charles's father was also named Duncan, but his wife had a different name than our Duncan. Their Duncan never emigrated from Scotland. Once again, this apparent shortage of Christian names leads us on a wild goose chase.

Rather than typing any more, I will email you what the Wagram Livingston descendent sent me.

Alan
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Since Alan posted the previous message I have found information which does indicate as Alan suggests that the Charles Livingston (1785-1837) and his wife Mary White that resided in Richmond County, North Carolina not far away from Alan's ancestors Duncan and Hugh Livingston are not closely related to his ancestors Duncan and his son Hugh Livingston (1805-1872) of Richmond County, N.C. From a search of the Scottish Parish records and a study of the old notes of a relative connected to the this Charles Livingston family it seems quite certain that Alan's ancestor Duncan of Richmond County North Carolina who land records indicate was in Richmond County, North Carolina by at least 1801 and probably arrived at some point earlier in the 1790's well before his son Hugh was born by abt. 1805 in North Carolina. While I have not had a lot of luck finding information of Alan's ancestor Duncan LIvingston, surprising I have ended up with a virtual treasure trove of genealogical info on the other Livingston family that resided at the same time in Richmond County, North Carolina as Alan's Livingston family of Duncan and his son Hugh livingston. This being said one can't discount the possibility that these two families of Scottish Livingston origin that settled in Richmond County, North Carolina might share perhaps a common ancestor in Western Argyll Scotland at some undetermined point in time. At this point we all we can say is that Charles and Hugh Livingston of Richmond County, North Carolina were not brothers as had been suspected.

THis Charles Livingston on the other hand was born in Scotland abt. 1785 in Kilmodan Parish, probably in the Glendaruel area of Kilmodan Parish the son of another DUncan Livingston an his wife Sarah Leitch likely of Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll. Piecing together information from old family history notes and Scottish Parish records and sources I ended up with a suprisingly good picture of the history and genealogy of this family.

Charles Livingston (1785-1837) of Richmond County, North Carolina was born abt. 1785 in Kilmodan Parish, Argyll likely at Glendaruel or Clachan of Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish in eastern Argyll the son of Duncan Livingston and Sarah Leitch (also spelled Lietch or Litch in the Scottish Parish records) who likely lived the area of Clachan of Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll. Sarah Leitch it appears was of the Leitch, Lietch or Litch family who resided in Kilmodan Parish. Duncan livingston on the other hand appears to have been born elsewhere in Arygllshire probably somewhere in Western Argyllshire and arrived in Kilmodan Parish sometime before the year 1776 when he married Sarah according to the marriage records of the Kilmodan Parish Church which was located at Clachan of Glendaruel. There has been a parish church at Clachan for centuries but the latest one built in the 1700's which is still standing is likely where Charle's father Duncan Livingston and Sarah Leitch or Litch were married in 1776.

From the old family notes, the Scottish parish records and other sources I pieced together information that Duncan Livingston and Sarah Leitch had the following known children born apparently at Glendaruel in Kilmodan Parish, Argyll. THere may have been others, but this is a start.

1. Archibald Livingston born abt. 1780 in Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll. Later lived at Kirkmaiden and Whithorn Parish in the County of Wigtown. Archibald married Margaret Lietch in Kilmodan Parish, Argyll on June 21, 1806.
1. Helen Livingston born May 6, 1807 Baptized May 8, 1807 Dunoon and Kilmun Parish, Argyll
2. Archibald Livingston baptized June 7, 1809 Kilmodan Parish, Argyll
3. Sarah Livingston baptized June 27,1811 Kilmodan Parish, Argyll
4. Donald Livingston baptized June 29, 1813 Kilmodan Parish, Argyll
5. Daniel Livingston born June 28, 1814 Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll (From Madison County, Florida tombstone) d. July 9, 1866 Madison County Florida (Came to America South or North Carolina by abt. 1827 or 1828 to join his Uncle Charles.
6. John Livingston born or baptized December 20, 1817 Kirkmaiden Parish, County of Wigtown
7. Margaret Livingston born or baptized April 7, 1822 Kirkmaiden Parish, County of Wigtown
8. Charles Livingston born August 16, 1826 and baptized August 21, 1826 Whithorn Parish, County of Wigtown
At the age of 13 in about 1827 according to old family notes Archibald's son Daniel W. Livingston (1814-1866) left his home in Scotland at this time on the Isle of Whithorn in Whithorn Parish, County of Wigtown to his Uncle Charles Livingston in America. The 1841 Scottish Census also confirms that Archibald Livingston and family are residing in Whithorn Parish, County of Wigtown. The 1851 Census is the last census in which Archibald Livingston appears in Whithorn Parish, County of Wigtown. He is recorded as being 70 and born in Kilmsdon Parish, Argyllshire which should be Kilmodan Parish. He is listed in this final census as the Officer of Customs located on the Isle of Whithorn. Archibald Livingston's death record states that he died December 29, 1857 in Whithorn Parish Isle of Whithorn, County of Wigtown age 76 years. He was employed as the principal coast officer at Isle of Whithorn. Most interesting is that it states that his Father was Duncan Livingston a tailor by trade and his mother was Sarah Leitch as indicated in Kilmodan Parish Records.

2. Charles Livingston born abt. 1785 in Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll. m. (1) Elizabeth "Bessie" McLachlan in Kilmodan Parish, Argyll on December 13,1811. M. (2) Mary White in South or North Carolina, USA in the 1820's. Charles and first wife Elizabeth McLachlan of neighbouring Strathlachlan Parish had two at least children according to the Kilmodan Parish records: Lachlan livingston and Susanna Livingston. It is not clear to me what became of Lachlan, but Charles daughter Susan from his first Marriage apparently came to America with him in the 1820's and is mentioned in his 1835 will written in Richmond County, North Carolina. The 1830 U.S. census indicates that in the year Charles LIvingston was residing in Marlboro County, SOuth Carolina near the North Carolina and near the border County of Richmond County, North Carolina. At the time of his death in 1837 he was residing on his farm in Richmond County, North Carolina with daughter Susan from his first marriage, his second wife Mary White and several children from his second marriage including only son Daniel White Livingston, Mary, Anna Eliza, Euphemia, Sarah and Caroline.
Children of Charles Livingston and first wife Elizabeth "Bessie" McLachlan of neighbouring Strathlachan Parish, Argyll
1. Lachlan Livingston born Sept. 1, 1812 in Clachan (of Glendaruel), Kilmodan Parish, Argyll
2. Susanna Livingston born January 13, 1816 in Kilmodan Parish, Argyll
Children of Charles Livingston and second wife Mary White
1. Daniel W. Livingston b. abt. 1828
2. Mary Livingston b. abt.1829 (daughter Mary not mentioned in Charles 1835 will but is in later U.S. Census with widow)
3. Sarah Livingston b. abt. 1830
4. Anna Eliza Livingston b. abt. 1832
5. Euphemia Livingston b. abt. 1832
6. Caroline Livingston b. abt. 1835

3. John Livingston born abt. 1786 in Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll Mason m. Margaret Turner on May 31,1816 in Kilmodan Parish, Argyll. John Livingston, his wife Margaret and family were according to the 1841 Scottish census residing that year at Clachan of Kilmodan Parish also known Clachan of Glendaruel where the old Parish church of Kilmodan is located. Of interest to descendants is the fact that John Livingston in the year 1839 erected a gravestone in the memory of his parents Duncan Livingston and Sarah Leitch in the old graveyard in the parish churchyard of the Kilmodan Parish Church. This old gravestone I am happy to stay is still in that old parish Churchyard. Son John Livingston a local mason however did not include the birth or death dates of his parents Duncan Livingston and Sarah Leitch on their 1839 gravestone unfortunately but I assume then that they died around that year.THere is no record of John Livingston's later death but by the subsequent 1851 census his wife Margaret appears to be a widower. John and Margaret had several children as indicated in the 1841 Scottish Census.
John Livingston born abt 1786 died bet. 1841 and 1851 at Clachan Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish Arygll m. Margaret Turner on May 31, 1816
Children of John Livingston and Margaret Turner of Clachan,Glendaruel, Kilmodan Parish, Argyll
1. Janet Livingston b. Sept 29, 1818 or Sept 23, 1820 b. Kilmodan parish
2. Lachlan Livingston b. Aug.19,1817 occupation: Mason born Kilmodan Parish
3. Charles Livingston b. abt. 1825 occupation: Mason born Kilmodan Parish
4. Robert Livingston b. Jan 20, 1826 born Kilmodan Parish
5. Margaret Livingston b. March 16, 1828 born Kilmodan Parish
6. John Livingston b. October 10, 1830 born Kilmodan Parish
7. Duncan Livingston b. abt. 1836 born Kilmodan Parish
John Livingston Sr. dies sometime between the years 1841 and 1851 and in subsequent census there is just the widow Margaret with her two youngest sons John and Duncan. After 1851,a few years later the last of the Livingstons have left Kilmodan Parish.
Ansondon

Post by Ansondon »

Duncan Livingston of Anson County North Carolina was the son of Angus Livingston, who was born about 1750 and died in Anson County during or soon after 1840. Angus and John Smith were among the first settlers in the area around Savannah Creek, where Angus and his sons established their homestead. Angus had three sons all born in Anson County. They were John, Duncan and Hugh. I believe Angus had two daughters, Catherine and Mary, who were also born in Anson County. I know only the first name and possibly the middle initial of Duncan's wife, "Martha W." John died in 1847 leaving a son, Charles E. and daughter, Mary A. He left a third heir, Sarah, who was either his wife or daughter. Charles E., born in 1819, married Elizabeth S. Harris and moved to Tishoningo, Mississippi where he and his wife lived out their lives. They had four children, William Franklin, Susan Alice, John S., and Mary H. Duncan and Martha had at least eight offspring: Angus McK***, John B., James P., Alexander L, Isaiah Coke, Eleanor, Susan and Martha. I have much more information about this Livingston family of Anson County if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Don
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Don, have you researched back any further on Duncan and found your connection back to Scotland? We also have a DNA project that might interest you.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Don,
Our Clan Historian Donald (above) is on vacation right now, but will get back to you when he returns. I am sure he would like to discuss what you've posted!

Kyle

Clan Society Life Member
Ansondon

Post by Ansondon »

Greg,

I have been unable to trace Duncan's Scottish roots. I have tried to link Duncan's father, Angus, to James T. Livingston of Montgomery County, NC (brothers?). James' Scottish origin is note on his tombstone. I'm interested in knowing more about the Livingston DNA project.

----------

Kyle,

I'll try to post more information before Donald returns from vacation.

Best regards,

Don
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Don,

If you go to the main page of this web site and click on Clan, all of the information is on the bottom choice in the list.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Don,
There has been some interest in recent years among a few descendants of the original highland Argyllshire Livingston pioneers who in the late 1700's and early 1800's lived in what became Richmond, Anson and Montgomery County, North Carolina with the Livingston DNA project with familytreedna. The result of the DNA test however showed that the Montgomery County Livingstons were not closely or distantly related to Anson and Richmond County Livingston families. The Richmond and Anson County Livingstons however while not closely related share a common ancestry likely in Western Argyllshire, although no details of their history in Scotland is known.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be documented Scottish family info for your ancestor Duncan Livingston who lived in Anson County in the early 1800's.There is some speculation that his origins were in Lismore, Argyll but I don't think there if proof of this. That being said there is little doubt that Duncan was born in highland Scotland likely in Western Argyll like many other highlanders who settled in the 1700's in this general area of North Carolina. A direct Livingston descendant of Duncan Livingston of Anson County who lived in Tennessee and is recently deceased took the family tree maker DNA test I understand several years ago and he was a match with a predominate Western Argyll Livingston group which makes it almost certain that Old Duncan of Anson County or his ancestors were likely was born in one of the parishes in Argyll County such as Mull, Morvern, Lismore or Appin.

Several years ago a direct descendant of James T. Livingston connected to the old Montgomery Livingston family you mentioned was also tested in the familytreedna project and found to be a match with a different highland Livingston DNA group and therefore not related to either the Anson County or the Richmond County Livingston who are descended from yet another highland Livingston named Duncan Livingston who settled in what used to be known as Richmond County, North County before 1803. The Anson County and Richmond County Livingstons that were tested however while not a really close match were clearly found to be of the same highland Livingston DNA group but neither one of them appears to be be a close genetic match to direct Livingston descendants of James T. Livingston of Montgomery County, North Carolina.

There is information in the case of the old James T. Livingston, Scottish settler of Montgomery County, North Carolina on his gravestone made by his son that he was a native of the Isle of Islay, Argyll, but in researching scottish pioneers Duncan Livingston of Richmond County and Duncan Livingston of Anson County I have not been able to find any original historical info that indicates where in Scotland they came from however we do know that where they settled in North Carolina others from Western Argyllshire such as Carmichaels, Stewarts, McColls etc also settled and as mentioned one person of ANson County and a person with ancestral origins to Duncan Livingston of Richmond County was tested and both from the test results are definitely have Western Argyllshire Livingston ancestral origin I would think. Unfortunately both in the case of the Anson County and Richmond County Livingstons I have not come across any original documented family information indicating in which parish in Western Argyllshire the Anson and Richmond County Livingstons lived in before settling in North Carolina in the 1700's.

I would be very interested in any information you would wish to share with the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society regarding Duncan Livingston, his wife Martha McCormick and their family from Anson County, North Carolina. I am setting up a new forum posting for Anson County Livingstons as this one was originally focusing on Richmond County N.C. Livingston's.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Ansondon

Post by Ansondon »

Donald,

Thank you for your messages.

Before there was a Duncan Livingston in Anson County, there was Angus. Neither Angus nor any other Livingston is shown in the 1790 federal census of Anson County. According to later census records, Angus was born about 1740, but I have found no record of him before 1798. (More about this below). On August 11, 1910, Mrs. Mary F. Lindsay dictated and signed an affidavit that gave her family history. Her grandmother, Mary Flake, and grandfather, John Smith, were early settlers on Smith’s creek. Of significance to the Livingston family history, Mary’s stated that John Smith had his home on the Stanback Ferry Road about 4 miles from Lilesville, North Carolina. Their land was on Smith’s Creek, Savannah Creek, and Cedar Creek. She stated that her grandfather, “John Smith, and old Mr. Livingstone, were the oldest settlers in this neighborhood that I ever heard of, and old Mr. Livingstone has been dead for over seventy years and my grandfather died before he died, but I don’t know how long before Mr. Livingstone died.”

A son, Duncan, was born to Angus in 1790. We know this date from Duncan’s obituary published 71 years later. A best guess is that Angus was about 50 years old when Duncan was born, and Duncan’s mother was no older than 32.

In 1798, Angus purchased 96 acres on Savannah Creek in North Carolina from Richard and Sarah Tallent adjoining the property of Thomas Tallent. In 1800, Angus is first shown in the census for Anson County. He is listed as 45 or older, making him born before 1755. Listed with him are a male between the age of 16-25 (born between 1775-1784), and a male under age 10 (born in or after 1790). Based on other census and land records, it likely that the older male is John Livingston, and the younger male is Duncan. Angus’ paternity of John and Duncan is stated in land transactions between them. Angus also had two females under age 10. I believe they are Angus’ daughters, Catherine and Mary, and one female age 26 to 42 (born between 1758 and 1774), who was Angus’ presumptive wife. She would have been born between 1758 and 1774.

In 1805, Angus purchased 60 acres of land on the Fall Branch of Smith’s Creek adjoining the property that Angus “now lives on.” This seems to confirm Angus as the “old Mr. Livingstone” mentioned in Mary Lindsay’s affidavit. In 1807, Angus Livingston purchased an additional 200 acres of land on the Fall Branch of Smith’s Creek.

In 1810 John purchased 150 acres of land on the Camp Branch of Savannah Creek. His brother, Duncan, witnessed the deed. I believe that a third son, Hugh Livingston, was born to Angus about this time. I don’t have a good fix on the date.

In 1813 and 1814 Duncan became a landowner too. He obtained a land grant of 100 acres of land adjacent to land owned by Angus.

In 1819, Angus gave by deed to “his son” Duncan an interest for Angus’s life in two parcels of land: one was 96 acres on Savannah Creek and the other 60 acres on Smith’s creek. It is this deed that conclusively establishes Duncan as the son of Angus.

I have not discovered the date of Duncan’s marriage to his wife Martha, or Martha’s surname. However records do show that on Christmas Day, 1821, Martha gave birth to Duncan’s first son, Angus M. Livingston. Three years later in 1824, a second son, John B. Livingston was born.

You give Martha "McCormick "as the name of Duncan’s wife. I can find no confirmation of the name “McCormick.”

Land records show that the middle name of Angus M. Livingston began “McK” or “MacK.” If this is incorrect, persons who list him in their familytree as Angus “McLean” are wrong.

*Angus Livingston
**John (1780-1847) either married to “Sarah” or “Sarah” was his daughter. She took a 1/3 share of his estate when John died in 1847.
***Charles Edward (1819-1884 (Tishoningo, Miss.) m. Elizabeth S. Harris
***Mary A. (1819-1884) m. Christopher Oliver Guion (Guin)
**Duncan (1790-1861) m. Martha W. (1798-1870)
***Angus MacK Livingston (1821-1885) m. Martha D. Covington (1824-1909)
***John B. (1826-1869) m. Adeline Fort (1829 – after 1889). About 1855, John B. moved the family to Wilcox County Alabama to the planation of Leon Ratcliff. They returned to Anson County either during or some time after the Civil War.
***James P. (1826-1902) m. Sallie Carson and m. Nancy Covington. Moved to Marengo, Alabama before the Civil War.
***Alexander L. (1828-1874) m. Mary Ann Boggan, and m. Louzette F. Hayes
***Eleanor (1828 - --) m. Eli P. Harrell
***Susan (1834-1888) m. John P. Vick
***Isaiah Coke (1840-1862) Died during Civil War
***Martha (1840---) m. Daniel McLauren
**Hugh (1810-1845) m. Thetis Allen
***Mary Ann (1833-1883) m. James L. Watkins
***Elizabeth (1834-1902) m. John Culpepper Smith and m. John Thomas Smith
***Roxanne (Catherine) (1836-1892) m. John Robinson Livingston
***Sarah Frances (1838-1893) m. John Alexander Avett

Best regards,
Don
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Don,

Thank-you for sharing in depth research on the Anson County Livingstons. You are the first descendant of an Anson County Livingston to provide us with this info on the Anson County, North Carolina Livingstons. We had a participant in our DNA project whom I believe was descended from the Anson County Livingstons but he passed away a few years and I have not as yet been able to get in touch with his family history contact person for more details on their Livingston families connection to the Anson County Livingstons. I may have collected some family info several years ago but perhaps filed it away long ago and lost track of it. I think there actually a good chance I may be able to connect with another relative who may be able to help eventually. So all is not lost.

Yes I noticed in the 1830 Census for Anson County it does seem to suggest that Duncan Livingston and Angus Livingston were neighbours as they listed together on the same census page. It makes sense that Duncan is the son of old Angus and living on adjacent property or the same property in the Lilesville vicinity. So Duncan is recorded as a male age given between 30 and 39 and old Angus age between 90 and 99. If correct then for sure Angus was getting on in years by the time son Duncan was born in the late 1700's. Mary Lindsay's information helps to verify that it was Angus Livingston who was oldest Livingston in Anson County circa 1830 before he died and the 1830 Census also confirms that this elderly Angus Livingson living beside your ancestor Duncan were definitely kin. The additional information you located linking Angus with Duncan including the 1819 land record leaves no doubt then that Angus was the father of Duncan Livingston.

regards,

Donald