Peter Parker

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Peter Parker

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jeanne,

Just click the post reply icon at the bottom of page and post away!
Interesting that Jewel located a Peter Parker in Anson County.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Jeanne;

Just thought I would give you some final thoughts on your research of Peter Parker.

The first thing that jumps out at me when I look at the family of George and Nancy Parker in Richmond County census for the year 1850, my gut feeling is this is not one family. You have 2-18 year olds and 2-16 year olds. My first thought is this must be a second marriage for George and Nancy, or they took in one of thier brothers or sisters children, which would not be uncommon at that time. George is born South Carolina along with 3 of the children the mother Nancy is born North Carolina along with 2 of the children, also you stated you don't think Peter 18 and Mary 16 are the children of George and Nancy. If you could get an obit for George or Nancy that might give you a clue to who is mentioned as family.

As far as finding parents of this Peter Parker you are going to have to find out what religion he was first then try to find church records for him through the LDS microfilms. He must have been baptized or christened which would give his parents names. This is not going to be easy. What might help to pin down his birth year is to call the cemetery where he is buried, I think you said Olivet Cemetery in Chesterfield S.C. his cemetery records usually gives a birth year maybe even the date of birth.

I would also call the cemetery to find out who else is buried with him and who paid for the lots. Also a copy of his obituary might have some information as to a specific area where he was born and a slight chance that his parents would be mentioned.

I did see two other parkers buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery , don't know if these are related but for a Vandelia Parker Grant (spouse M.T.Grant) who was born Dec. 5,1860 in Marlboro S.C. died April 20, 1939 parents listed as Laura & Peter Parker (it states both parents born Marlboro SC which is differnt from what the 1850 census states) the other one was a Peter Parker b. June 7, 1872 N.C. and died July 2, 1929 Chesterfield. parents listed as Laura & Peter Parker.

Did you send for Peter Parkers death record who died Nov. 24, 1881 in Chesterfield S.C., that would possibly state parents names or a more specific birth place and date, This you should definately do if you have not already.

As far as finding a livingston name connection that is a tough one, if someone just changes their name without takeing any legal steps that would be almost impossible to track. or adoption papers if he was legally adopted.

Also a record of their marriage, there must be a license that would state parents for both Laura and Peter or witnesses which also could be a clue.

So that is about all I can suggest to you Jeanne.

Jewel
Jeane Parker

Post by Jeane Parker »

Thank you Jewel for your suggestions. I believe Peter died long before SC started keeping death certificate records.
All of the Parkers in the Mt. Olivet Cemetery and some others by other names are all part of the same family.
The Peter Parkers and later generation were "pillars" in this church, if not founders. The Parkers moved to Chesterfield Co SC well after the Civil War. It is unlikely Peter's parents lived there when he was born and they were certainly not involved with Mt. Olivet.

In the 1850 census Peter and his sister were listed with the family of George Parker. George died the next year and his estate was probated with lengthy records. Peter and the elder Mary (in the census) were not mentioned anywhere in George's estate settlement, so I am quite sure they were not his children. They may be orphan neice and nephew or they may be orphans of "friends or relatives".

My best clue is thru Hugh Livingston who lived three doors from George. From what I have read of Hugh, he was an upstanding member of the community and may be not likely to be the father of Peter and Mary. However, Hugh did have two brothers, John and Charles and they are the right age to have been involved. Charles was listed in the Marlboro Co SC census in 1830 and was single at the time. Remember Peter was born circa 1828 and his sister 1832. I have found nothing for John Livingston except his being mentioned as a child of Duncan Livingston, the father of Hugh and hence Hugh's brother. Charles may have married and moved to Greenville SC by the 1840 census. I have not found a census record for John in 1830 or after that time.

I will put all this back in the file until.... Getting an opinion of a firm Livingston connection has been exciting and very welcome. I had speculated but until the DNA group tied Jerome to others, it was just my guess.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Jeane Parker wrote:I will put all this back in the file until.... Getting an opinion of a firm Livingston connection has been exciting and very welcome. I had speculated but until the DNA group tied Jerome to others, it was just my guess.
The fact that you managed to get a clue WITHOUT the DNA evidence is more evidence to the possible truth of it, I think. Bravo all the hard work!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

What I find interesting about Jeanne's research is that the Parkers lived so close to Hugh Livingston in the 1800's. Then in trying to make the case that her Parkers had a Livingston connection that the DNA test would show her Parker family to be a relatively close match to not the odd Livingston but a significant, well defined large cluster of highland Livingstons of Western Argyllshire origin who apparently share origins as some as yet undetermined branch of the ancient Macleas.

I would agree with Jeanne that this Parker connection to this interestingly, strong cluster of highland Maclea Livingstones has quite possibly something to do with the two families having some sort of family connection in Southern States. The exact scenario is not certain but I do find it interesting that we have several Livingstons showing up a relatively close match to Miles Livingston's great grandson and then one Parker. Certainly adds alot of credibility to Jeanne's family tale of a Livingston- Parker connection.

As you say only time and alot of more testing will make sense of all of this including the real significance of this cluster of highland MacleaLivingstons and a Parker that Miles Livingston's great-grandson find himself included in. No matter how you look at it I am honored to be somewhat related to this fine group of people from around the globe and delighted that the results seem to match up with my ancestor's Miles Livingston's own account of his Morvern origins. I also have with some regret been able to determine I am not of the Bachuil family line or related to Dr. David Livingstone. That leaves me with one famous Livingston family that of Donald Livingstone of Morvern hero of Culloden which in all likelihood will take me some time to prove with DNA a possible family connection. In any event finding out I am at sometime in our Maclea history quite likely kin to Roberta, Jewel. Roger and Jeanne among others is certainly a worthwhile and fascinating thing to know.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

I hope you're getting a signal as well as a well earned rest at the cottage.

You said you wanted to know more about a Patrick Livingston - I found this:

ID 109098 Roots Web

Patrick Livingston b.c. 1750 Scotland; d. about 1832 in Robeson City, N.C.

Children:
Margaret b.c. 1780

Duncan b.c. 1785

Peter b.c. 1788 in Scotland

Neil b.c. 1800

Mary b.c. 1802

The Post also includes descendents of Duncan, Peter and Neil.

Regards;

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello again Donald;

ID 109101 Roots Web

Duncan Livingston b.c. 1785

father Patrick b.c. 1750 Scotland, d. c. 1832 Robeson City. North Carolina, Mother Unknown

Marriage; Ann McLean

Children:

John Livingston

Charles "

Hugh b. about 1805, d. Feb. 8,, 1872, Williamson, Richmond Co., North Carolina

Regards;

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Not certain beyond Duncan D. Livingston. The local history does not mention Patrick but someone somewhere along the line had information linking a Patrick to the family. David Duncan mentioned Patrick as a possible ancestor based upon what a cousin had told him but Jeanne and I have pretty much established that his ancestor was Duncan D. Livingston however it is conceivble Duncan's father was Patrick back in Argyll. I cannot find a Patrick in Argyll but some of the 18th century records in Argyll, Mull in particular are incomplete.

It is scorcher today but fortunately I am at the lake all week. Best weather all summer if you dont mind the heat.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:The local history does not mention Patrick but someone somewhere along the line had information linking a Patrick to the family. David Duncan mentioned Patrick as a possible ancestor based upon what a cousin had told him but Jeanne and I have pretty much established that his ancestor was Duncan D. Livingston however it is conceivble Duncan's father was Patrick back in Argyll. I cannot find a Patrick in Argyll but some of the 18th century records in Argyll, Mull in particular are incomplete.
I have seen Patrick and Peter used interchangeably in my own family in the Scottish records. Not often, but a couple of times.

Off-topic, is there any reason to suspect the Parker and Livingston(e) families have a connection back in Scotland?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

HI Kyle,

Jeanne Parker's research is if I understand correctly based upon the notion that the Livingstons and Parkers who lived in very close proximity in old Richmond County, North Carolina have one family local connection in the 1800's. The scenario is not clear but as far as she knows the connection is a local American thing and not a Scottish connection. Anotherwards a parker is really a Livingston took on the Parker name for one reason or another. This she suspected North Carolina Livington parker family connection before the DNA test. The DNA test results she believes confirm her suspicions of a connection between the two familie in Richmond County.

regards,

Donald