My brick wall in Forfar (Angus)

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Andrew Lancaster

My brick wall in Forfar (Angus)

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Seems worthwhile to post my brickwall here: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Adam%2 ... orace.html

It is a weird, but it is interesting that we have such close DNA matches to McClays, Maclays, and McLays.

Best Regards
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Re: My brick wall in Forfar (Angus)

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Andrew,

Have you found any descendants of Adam Standish Livingstone interested in the DNA project? You would suspect that some of the Macleas, Maclays McLays etc would match somewhat closely to some of the Livingstons in the project. On the other hand some Macleas for whatever reason may not match up the Western Argyll Livingston descendants which you are currently testing.

The project is definitely challenging and putting to the test some of our current assumptions regarding both Livingstons and Macleas. You have your work cut out for you trying to make sense of it all, but I am hoping that something can be established regarding some of the DNA groups emerging with Mull-Morvern-Appin-Isle of Lismore roots. Sometime one cannot see the forest for the trees. I thought I would start
with some of the trees rather than the whole forest and see where that takes us.

I have access to the 1841-1901 Scottish census if that is any help to you in your family research dont hesitate to contact me.

regards,

Donald
regards,

Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Re: My brick wall in Forfar (Angus)

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Andrew,

Have you found any descendants of Adam Standish Livingstone interested in the DNA project? You would suspect that some of the Macleas, Maclays McLays etc would match somewhat closely to some of the Livingstons in the project. On the other hand some Macleas for whatever reason may not match up the Western Argyll Livingston descendants which you are currently testing.

The project is definitely challenging and putting to the test some of our current assumptions regarding both Livingstons and Macleas. You have your work cut out for you trying to make sense of it all, but I am hoping that something can be established regarding some of the DNA groups emerging with Mull-Morvern-Appin-Isle of Lismore roots. Sometime one cannot see the forest for the trees. I thought I would start
with some of the trees rather than the whole forest and see where that takes us.

I have access to the 1841-1901 Scottish census if that is any help to you in your family research dont hesitate to contact me.

regards,

Donald
regards,

Donald
Hi Donald

I am a descendant of Adam Standish Livingstone, and I long ago sponsored a distant cousin from this male line into the project. The results are the ones for kit 19583. I have further confirmation that this is the correct line because another Angusshire Livingston family moved independently to Australia and they are also a match.

These results are in the so-called MacWho group, which was a joke name we made up because there are close matches with other surnames, but nearly all very Scottish looking. Amongst these other surnames are McClay (from northern Ireland/Donegal), McLay/Maclay (from Clackmannanshire), 1 McLean, 1 Campbell, 1 Donaldson, some Wilsons, and quite a lot of Porters and Fergus/Ferguson/Furry/Fergie surnames.

For the Angus/Forfar Livingstones I have indeed also gone and tried to make as many pedigrees as I can with all available material. The results are here:
http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Living ... Index.html

Best Regards
Andrew