McKinlays at Kintyre in Argyll and Rothesay Bute

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
R. Livingstone

Re: McKinlays at Kintyre in Argyll and Rothesay Bute

Post by R. Livingstone »

Hi again, Donald -

You're very fortunate to have located your Livingston cousin. I'm pleased to read that your research led you to a living relative, rather than a story about a relative that had recently passed! I appreciate the advice about picking up detailed maps of Scotland. Studying over them, as well as maps of PEI will actually be a pleasurable activity for me - My original education was in the field of Geology (though I don't work in that discipline) - and I love maps. The DNA test should be interesting. I'm guessing I'll also fit into the Parker-Livingstone group. The only "wild card" in my line might be my Great-Great-Grandfather Allan Livingston - The PEI census records place him on Duncan's (his father's) farm, but I haven't read of any definitive birth or christening records positively proving his relationship to Duncan. I suspect a lot of relationships will become more clear as more Livingston(e)s and MacLeas, etc. join the study.

Best Regards to All -

Ralph
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ralph,

Sorry I dont think I answered your question. Yes the descendant of Donald and Mary Livingston of PEI is part of the Parker Livingston group and the closest match to my Livingston cousin at the 67 marker level. We look forward to you joining the Maclea Livingston DNA Project.
regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

It it interesting as you say that Sir THomas Innes Lord Lyon in 1938 in his clan and tartan book acknowleged the view held by some that some Macleas went by the name McKinley. To be in such illustrious company as Sir Thomas in holding this view is an honor indeed however I am by no means certain of this is absolutely certain and it should be noted that many Mckinleys hold the view that their name is derived from Finlay not a maconlea or macinlea or Maclea and that the k in their Mackinlay is not of gaelic origin but was added later. Cant really blame anyone for the confusion over the years however given that if you were to drop this non gaelic k you end up with something that looks a lot like Macinlay. Perhaps even some of old Macleas and Mackinlays at Bute in the early 1800's may have also wondered as I do if there was a connection. There are admitingly a few variants that appear in the 19th century Scottish census records Maclea, McLea, Mcleay, McLay or Maclay that seem to fall within the rhelm of the Maclea family groups in Scotland while others such as McKinlay, McKinley and McCauley for example seem to have a another origin.

regards,

Donald