Nova Scotia McLeas

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Nova Scotia McLeas

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I've been in touch with a grandson of Wishart McLea Robertson (1891-1967), who was born and raised in Barrington Passage, Nova Scotia.

I had originally been interested that Wishart of course had the middle name "McLea."

His grandson tells me, "like his father and grandfather before him, he had a distinguished career in politics, ultimately serving as both Speaker and Government Leader in the Canadian Senate (1940s and 1950s)."

"...apparently he was named that after one of his ancestors. . . a great, great grandfather named John McLea who lived from the mid 1700s to early 1800s. John came from the town of Forres in Morayshire, Scotland and reportedly served in the commissariat of the British Army at the time of the American Revolution. In 1784 he and his wife Isabella (maiden name unknown) arrived in Nova Scotia, where they received a land grant on the Clyde River, Shelburne County, NS in early 1785. They remained there for the rest of their lives."

"To the best of our knowledge, John and Isabella McLea had only four daughters and no sons, so there were no descendents bearing the McLea name (except in cases where it was used as a middle name, as with my grandfather). My research indicates John may have had a brother named James McLea who served in the Northern Gordon Fencible regiment based in Inverness Scotland between 1778 and 1783. One of John and Isabella`s closest neighbors on the Clyde River, John Stalker, also served in that fencible regiment at the same time as James McLea, and later married one of John and Isabella`s daughters after he too settled at Clyde River in 1785."

I'd be very interested in hearing of any other connections to this John McLea or James McLea. Anyone out there know more?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Re: Nova Scotia McLeas

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Kyle;

I found this: McLea, Donald, beloved husband of Ann McLea and father of Alexander, James, Arthur, Donald, Annie, Belle and Mary McLea. A native of Parish of Urray, Rosshire, Scotland: aged 69 years, 1 month and 13 days.

Source: Daily Alta California, 1 and 2 Dec. 1885.

Regards;

Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Kyle,

Although this information is in conflict of your previous post, I think you might want to look into this information unless you have already seen it.

Taken from title "Book of Descendants" http://www.docstoc.com

"Homesteading of the east Banks of the Clyde River, "Old Peter Sutherland met & courted Isabella McLea, a daughter of his neighbor across the river, James McLea. They married on July 15, 1793 in Shelbourne Nova Scotia."

Isabella, daughter of James MClea, who was the original United Empire Loyalists in the family.

There is a great deal of other information regarding their children and burial information for this family. I'll double check for the site, to make sure I have it correct, let me know if you have a problem with it.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Kyle,

Here is the full web site which I found this info.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10056609/Bo ... escendants

That should take you directly to the Sutherland/McClea page, I think it is around page 5.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I would assume that this Empire Loyalist James Maclea would have been one of the earliest Maclea settlers in what is today Eastern Canada.

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

I wonder where James MacLea lived in the American colonies before the American Revolution?

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thank you all, some good leads. I need to spend a little time thinking about these and then I'll get back to you. Thanks again!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

This source of information I mentioned in previous post did give this information .

Taken from the Shelburne County Genealogy Society Newsletter, Vol. Xlll, Number 3 in the Fall of 1999.

" Where Did the Loyalists Land"

"On Sept., 1783 on account of the imminent evacuation of New York by Brittish Forces, a large fleet with loyalists and disbanded soldiers 8,000 in all, left New York for St. John and Shelborne, all the vessels bound for the Shelburne reached their destination."
Peter Sutherland (who later married Isobel McLea) disbanded information states, Disbanded New York on April 5, 1783.

It also states that James McLea is listed on "Muster Roll of Capt. John Speirs Company" date given, July,1784. Also stated that other family members mentioned, one being Isobell age 11 daughter of James McLea.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for this. This is first time I have heard about a Mclea loyalist settler in early Nova Scotia. Very interesting. So James Mclea was a loyalist soldier that served with Captain Speirs company and they departed from New York. THe British occupied New York City for most of the War. I am familiar with alot of the New York loyalist regiments. My father's people originated from New York in the 18th century and arrived at the colony prior to the Revolution. Two of my ancestor's cousins were loyalists, one of them deserted his Dutchess County, New York Miltia to serve with a loyalist regiment in New York City. Interestingly I was told by one Dutchess County researcher that my ancestor's cousin wrote his commanding officer a nice letter politely stating he was deserting to the British but that letter may have been destroyed in a fire in the early 1900's in Albany, New York with other valuable state records.

THere is little doubt in my mind that James Mclea is one of the earliest Mcleas to arrive at Nova Scotia he being a loyalist and arriving following the end of the American Revolution. A few decades earlier what is Nova Scotia had been a french Colonial possession so he is probably the first Mclea or one of the first McLeas to settle in Nova Scotia in the 1780's including the John McLea that Kyle has mentioned.

regards,

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle and Jewel,

18th century records of Canadian Mcleas are hard to find. That was truly a great find. I did notice a brief reference in the LDS collection of a Grace McClay b.1753 married 1774 at neighbouring New Brunswick to a Fraser. One does get the impression that not many Mcleas settled in early Canada before the 19th century. The LDS has a good collection of records pertaining to those Mcleas, Macleays, McLays in Canada that they have information for from the 19th century.
regards,

Donald