Boston Livingston with Nova Scotia origin

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Boston Livingston with Nova Scotia origin

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

Mary Ann knows that her descendent Duncan Livingstone was married to Mary MacDonald. She said it was a shotgun wedding and then later on he left her. He disappeared after this and she has not been able to find him. If she comes on she will be able to give you more details. If I remember correctly Duncan was old Kate's son if I remember correctly.
Maybe this is the same Duncan and that is where he went.
Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

Yes if she says her Duncan was married to Mary McDonald then she must be connected to old Kate and her husband John Livingston Jr. of Mull River. The PEI connection as I understand it is with old Kate who was herself of a PEI Livingston and was born there as was her youngster sister Anne who married Alexander Livingston b.1814 of neighbouring Whycocomagh. You can see this PEI origin of Old Kate and Annie in their Cape Breton, Nova Scotia census information. There does not seem to be much information on this Duncan Livingston unfortunately. I am curious how she has made an ancestral connection with this Duncan as there is so little info available. As I said the information I have from Dr. St. Clair is that he did not live in the Mull River or Whycocomagh area with his Livingstons and left the County for elsewhere in Nova Scotia. Sorry we dont have more.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Everyone,

Probablly should have post my census research for Duncan Livingstones in Massachusetts here, sorry about that I just got a little confused and thought it was connected to Maryannes post for a Duncan Livingstone. so you might want to check my post under the "Subject of Livingsones in PEI/ Nova Scotia.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

No problem. Actually Mary Ann's Duncan kinda disappeared according to the family so any lead such as the Boston Duncan Livingston is worth checking out. Mary Ann thought her ancestor Duncan Livingston was born abt. 1841 what approximate age did you establish with the Duncan Livingston that was married to Mary O Connell. I think it was stated that the Boston Duncan was born in Nova Scotia acccording to the U.S Census is that correct? Sounds like Mary Ann has done alot of research of her own and contacted Dr. St. Clair a while back. My wife were actually talking at lunch about her ancestor old kate and how at the time of her funeral they turned the mirrors facing the wall. Her neighbours were apparently superstitous and believed that old Kate was a witch with strange powers according to Dr. St. Clair. There is some great stories for a Stephen King novel here I think. I want to find out more about Old Kate Livingston.
regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

For the 1910 census in Boston Mass. There is a Duncan Livingston age 25 b. Mass. and his wife is a Mary A. age 24 b. Mass with 2 children James D. age 2 b. Mass and Alice E. 1 b. Mass. Duncans parents wer born Scotland and his wifes parents were born Ireland. this would make Duncan born abt. 1885 in Mass.

Now also in the 1900 census for Boston Mass.there is a Duncan Livingston age 5 b. Mass. who is the son of James Livingston and Prudential Livingston both born Scotland. So it seems this Duncan Livingston in the 1910 census would be the son of James and Prudential Livingston.

I don't remember you stateing any ages for the Duncan Livingston who was married to a Mary Agnes O'Connell living in Boston Mass. so I don't know if this info in the census for Massachusetts is a match for them.

Is this Mary Agnes O'Connell who is married to Duncan Livingston in the 1910 census for Boston Mass.? I don't know.

Regards Jewel
Last edited by Jewel on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

As to Mary Ann's Duncan that disappeared and born abt. 1841. My gut feelilng is that he is the Duncan Livingston that I found in the 1880 &1900 census for Kane County Illinois. His wife is listed as Mary, born Sept. 1843 Canada, and Duncan is listed as being born Nov. 1844 Canada, his parents born Scotland, didn't you say that Duncan was the son of John and old Kate who were born Scotland? If Mary anne could find out what month her Duncan was born that might be a clue.

I know this conflicts with Duncan 's marriage to Mary McDonald but stranger things have happened. Especially since he married her and disappeared. Could he have already been married and living in the U.S.? it is a possibility. Especially since he is no where to be found in Canada. Just a theory.

I checked the nova scotia vital records for a marriage between the Duncan and Mary and found the marriage that took place in 1874, But there should be another one for this Duncan, if he was married twice , I did check the Illinois for a marriage for the Duncan Livingston that was in In the census for Illinois. But seeing on the census he could have been married in New York as that is where their first child was born. I dont have access to the New York vital records so that might not be possible to find.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Actually Duncans parents JOhn Livingston jr. was born 1800 or 1808 in Mull, Scotland and his wife old kate livingston was born in Prince Edward Island (Canada) around 1807. Often that info in the census records is incorrect so it is still worth considering these Livingstons you found in Illinois particularly when this is kinda of a missing person situation as far as Duncan is concerned.

There is a Cape Breton genealogy society or something ike that Barry was talking about earlier I think that had some info on his ancestor Colin or Coleen Livingstone (bad spelling apparently) and I was wondering if anyone had joined that organization or was considering it as I was curious about their Livingstone information. We need to check with the source of their info that Colin or Coleen Livingston is included in the 1861 Census at Whycocomagh, Cape Breton

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

As for Duncan Livingston and Mary McDonald they only had one child John Hugh Livingston i think Mary ann said so perhaps they were not together in Nova Scotia long. They were married in 1874 but I could not find them in the 1881 Canadian census for Nova Scotia. I assume then that given they had but one child and the couple are not in the 1881 census as far as if could tell then Duncan deserted the family or perhaps died? before 1881. That is my first assumption. So if Duncan did indeed leave his family between 1874 and 1881 then searching for Duncan in the 1881 Canadian and U.S censuses was a good plan on your part and you found one in ILLinois that seemed to you to be close to Mary ANn's Duncan Livingston. A good stategy but we cant be 100% certain as yet that is the right Duncan I am afraid.

regards,

DOnald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

I have an email from Mary Anne.....I'm posting it here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am still working my way around this link, thanks to Barry Judson's direction, I think I will be ok.
I have seen so many of your posts regarding my Livingston(e) line.
My gg grandfather was Duncan Livingtone born about 1841 in PEI.
and yes old Kate would have been his mother.
My grandmother was Ellen Louise Livingstone born in Springhill NS.
One of ten children

As the story goes my grandmother told me that her grandfather Duncan just went away.
He married Mary MacDonald daughter of Alexander MacDonald (Bard na Ceapach)and they had one son John Hugh Livingstone born in the year 1874.

I have his birth and baptism record and it lists father as Duncan Livingston

John Hugh Livingstone and his mother Mary stayed in Nova Scotia

What happened to Duncan???
He disappeared!

I have been in touch with Dr. Jim St.Clair about three years ago, and over the weekend I will try to send you the emails that he sent me.

I have eight children in Duncan's family found in the book Mabou Pioneers 11
Duncan and his sister were born in PEI
John
Catherine
Jane also known as Catherine Jane married James Adams
Hugh
Flora also married a Adams
Ann
all these six were born in NS

I will see what I have to share with you and the others.
Please feel free to post this message, I don't mind...I think I sent it private.

Kind regards,
Canadian Livingstone

Update to this original Forum Posting.
There may have been some confusion over two Duncan Livingstons. One Duncan Livingston was born in Mull River, Inveness Cape Breton in 1841.
Duncan Livingston b. abt. 1841 son of John Livingston Sr. and Catharine Campbell of Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton, married Mary McDonald in 1874. This Duncan Livingston and his wife Mary McDonald had one child as mentioned JOhn Hugh Livingston born in 1874 following their marriage. This LIvingston family is however rooted in Cape Breton. Duncan Livingston mysteriously disappeared and there was question among our research group as to whether he died or perhaps may have resurfaced later in the U.S.

A second Duncan Livingston mentioned here was born in Massachusetts in the 1880's and is the son of James Livingston b. 1843 in Scotland and Prudential Arnott. It was this Duncan Livingston that married a Mary O'Connell. I am quite sure now that this Massachusetts Livingston family had no family connection to the Cape Breton, Nova Scotia Livingstons. Sorry for any confusion on my part. As Jewel pointed out James Livingston born in Scotland in 1843 and his wife Prudential Arnott and some of their children appear in the 1900 and 1910 U.S. Census residing in Boston, Massachusetts. James and Prudential were married in Boston in 1872 and they did have a son Duncan but no connection to the Cape Breton Livingstons we were researching and the coal miner Duncan Livingston b. in 1841 in Mull River, Inverness County , Cape Breton who married Mary McDOnald in 1874.

regards,

Donald