George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

Lets go with a check of the two George Livingstons born in 1843 in Pennsylvania our best bet in 1850 Census. Full name George Washington Livingston.
See what you can find. Parents could be also a George and Della but not necessarily so. Parents born in Pennsylvania.
regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Ok I'll get the information for the 2 George Livingstones born 1843 from the 1850 census and post it soon.

Secondly I went on the Mull site to familiarize myself with these two John & Catherine and their children. This Penmore Livingston family is all accounted for very clearly to me.

The other John and Catherine Livingston according to the Mull site, has:

Grace bapt. 1/15/1811 Peinalbanack, Duncan bapt. 11/14/1813 Peinalbanack, Hugh bapt. 2/3/1815 Kilmory, Flory I couldn't find, and Mary bapt. 8/1/1819. Kingharain.

You had mentioned a Duncan John and Neal and Grace? On the Mull site I only found as I stated , Grace,Duncan,Hugh and Flory. Maybe you can straighten this out for me.

The documentation you have from the Justice of the peace which was in the possession of Alexander, 1814 of Penmore is a very strong piece of evidence.

Regards Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

And my understanding is that is was an original record not a copy or photocopy that was in the possession of the Whycocomagh Livington family not the Mull River family oddly enough. I might have been mistaken about a Neal but most of those names match up with the apparent family of the àlternative John Livingston and Catharine Campbell family. My conclusion is that the Mull River and Whycocomagh Livingston are family but unfortunately it is uphill battle to prove this largely because there is no obivious paper trail or written history clearly stating this and because the local history accounts do not reach this conclusion. Some things in genealogy however are not that obvious. If only they were but that I guess it part of the challenge. For Barry and future generations I guess I am giving it a go. At this point I feel a little more like Colonel Custer with a few arrows in his head than a genealogist but I think we have give this one last heroic try even if it is probably an exercise in futility.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Well as I said I dont know for certain that the farmer ALexander Livingston of Whycocomagh, Inverness Country, Cape Breton b.1814 see 1881 Census is Alexander Livingston baptised 1814 at Penmore, Kilninian and Kilmore Parish Mull son of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell see Mull genealogy records. I dont that for certain but what is odd is that this ``Penmore`Mull Livingston family had their last child baptised in 1820 a year it would seem before the document from the justice of Peace at Mull indicated that a John Livingston and Catharine Campbell were leaving Kilninian and Kilmore Parish for Pictou, Nova Scotia. The way I see it the family arrived in Pictou Nova Scotia stayed their for a while or went to PEI for a while then took up land when it was made avaiable to them at Mull River in Inverness COunty with Campbells and others. It was apparently the Campbells that named the settlement Mull RIver in 1824 or thereabouts. According to Dr. St. Clair it had been known as S.E Mabou and I think the area is still known as Mabou as I understand it. All these years this emmigration document it I can it that from the Mull officials regarding John Livingstone and familys departure from Kilninian and Kilmore was kept by descendants of Alexander Livingston. So unless the other Livingston family at Mull River for some odd reason gave it to ALexander Livingston of whycocomagh of another Livingston family which I dont think it the case then the scenario is that ALexander kept this document which had been his parents those parents being in this scenario John Livingston and Catharine Campbell with children John of Mull River, ALexander and Colin of Whycocomagh and others as I am suggesting. Again just a theory not perfect by any means but one which oddly enough almost seems to make sense to me. See my other prevous postings on this. We have two possible birth dates for Colin Livingston of Whycocomagh which is a bit of problem but one obituary which indicates that he died at age 50 in 1867 oddly enough could give a birt date of 1817 which might match ALexander Livingston of Penmore Mull son of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell who was baptised in 1818.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Well the census for Goerge W. Livingston is very vague, nothing to pin point him, but I did find something that could be of help if someone wants to order this from NARA. Might have parents names on it?

Pension files of Veterans who served between 1861-1900

George W. Livingston
State of Pennsylvania
Company G. Regiment 201
Infantry
Event date 1909
State/armed Service Pensylvania

NARA # T289

As far as census goes? questionable.

1850 Pennsylvania County Fayette, TWP. Luzerne
All born Pennsylvania
Larkin Livingston age 43 b. PA.
Jane,wife
Sarah 15
Clyde or Clive, 13
Marion 11
George 7
Elicabeth 4
Thomas 2

1870 census for Eagle Point Twp. County Ogle, Illinois
George W. Livingston 27 b. Pennsylvania
Virginia 31 Pennsylvania
Charles A. 6 Illinois
Malon P. 5, Illinois
George W. 3, Illinois
Elsie B. 1 Illinois

1880 census for Eagle Point Twp. County ogle, Illinois
George W. Livingston 39, b. Pennsylvania
Virginia 31, b. Pennsylvania
Charles 16 b. Ill
George W. 13 b. Ill
Elsie B. 11 b. Ill
Alexander W 7 b. Ill

1900 census for Jordon Twp. County Whiteside, Illinois
George W. Livingston b. June 1842 PA. parents : father b. Ireland, Mother b. Pennsylvania
Virginia b. March, 1839, Ill.
Cora (servant)
married 37 years.

Jewel
Last edited by Jewel on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Donald,

If, this is the George W. Livingston b. PA. living in Illinois that we are looking for:

Marriage record for Illinois:
Groom: George W. Livingston
Bride: Virginia Lander
Date: Feb. 13,1863
County: Ogle
License #: 00002320

Not sure if parents names would be on this license.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

"THE EAGLE HAS LANDED"

Hi Donald,

I think I just confirmed our guy.

Illinois Death record:

George Washington Livingston
Date: August,14, 1925
Death cert. # 0980220
Jordon Twp. Whiteside County, Illinois

This record could have parents names on it.

I can tell you how to get this record for a very small fee, if someone is interested.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Jewel;

Congradulations; I know how hard you worked on this for Greg. As you and I know it takes hours to get through and filter all the information that is out there and then come to the right conclusion. You did another yeomans service, Jewel, and we all appreciate your efforts. A job well done, again. Our Clan is very fortunate to have someone of your skills. Let's hope that Greg will consider participating in our DNA programme. He, especially, has to be very appreciative of all your work in finding his ancestor. Great job, Jewel.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

Great stuff. Yes there is a very good chance that either his marriage record or his death record would list his parents. Not all of these records do and I dont know about Ilinois records but let us keep our fingers crossed. That PEI record that Roberta found from the Pennsylvania census of 1850 from Luzerne is interesting as is does list a George age 7. He was listed as 27 in the 1870 Illinois census. While the parents of course are not listed as George and Della I am not certain whether is was 100% certain that was the name of the parents we are looking for. It could be but there is also a possibility is was not George and Della. These records that Jewel has found will with any luck tell us exactly who his parents were. Thanks for that.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

I dont know if that is him or not. He would have possibly served as young man in the Union Army during the civil war and it is possible that he joined up in Pennsylvania where his people origiinated rather than Ilinois which he perhaps went after the Civil War was over. Do you know if this record you found refers to a veteran of the Civil War? I actually think it quite likely if he served in the army during the civil war he quite likely enlisted in Pennsylvania and served with a Pennsylvanian unit. These records might also list his parents. I know my Uncles enlistment papers from World War 1 listed his parents names.
regards,

Donald