George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Jewel and Roberta,

A Livingston descendant of George Washington Livington born abt. 1842 or 1841 in Pennsylvania is looking for George's father possibly also a George Livingston and his mother said to have been named Della. I did a preliminary search in the 1880 U.S Census and found George Washington Livingston and his wife Virginia and family living at Eagle Point, Ogle, ILinois in 1880 and it indicated that George was born in Pennsylvania as was his mother and father. I suspect therefore a search for George Washington Livingston as a child in the 1850 US census might help to locate his parents. I would assume George Washington Livingston to be about 8 or 9 in the 1850 Census likely in the State of Pennsylvania or perhaps Ilinois. Also try the 1860 U.S census as he might still be in Pennsylvania with his parents or possibly Illinois if they also settled there. Appreciate any help you can give Andrew and Kyle on this one.

regards,

Donald
Greg Livingston

Re: George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Post by Greg Livingston »

I would be interested in hearing more about this family. My GGrandfather, James Henry Livingston, was born in Davenport, IA, in Aug 1863 which is not that far from Eagle Point, IL. His father, James Daniel Livingston, was born in PA in 1833. Hoping there could be a connection there.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Greg,

I'll send you his contact info.

He's got an unusual DNA signature, too, very different from other members of the project, so a DNA match with him would be apparent very quickly!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,

Well will see what we can find out. As I said I have a hunch we might find a young George Washington Livingston in the 1850 Census possibly still in Pennsylvania and establish who his parents were from that. There is of course a possibility the family left Pennsylvania before the 1850 census in which case hopefully we can find him in Ilinois or another state. Then hopefully we can try and establish some linkage with your Livingston ancestors. Jewel and Roberta of our Nova Scotia/PEI Group have access to U.S records as well while my area of expertise and research is for the most part limited to Canada and Scotland, but we will do what we can to help.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I'll look into this tonight, I remember seeing Livngstons in Pennsylvania recently might have even post some recently to Maryann.
Jewel
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Thanks all. My DNA $$$ dried up when I got laid off in January so that will have to wait until I finally stumble on a new position.

Thanks again
Greg
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Well this is a tough one, First off, you mention George W. Livingston in the 1880 census with family in Eagle Point Township, county Ogle, Ill. I also found this family in the 1870 census for the same area.
1870:Illinois Eagle Point Twp. County Ogle
George W. Livingston age 27 b. Pennsylvania
Virginia 31 b. "
Charles A. 6 b. Ill
Malon P. 5 b. "
George W. 3 b. "
Elsie B. 1b. "

For the state of Pennsylvania for 1850 & 1860 in county Fayette, Brownsville
1850: all born PA. this family is also in the 1860 census same area. Although the birth year for George doesn't seem correct.
Oston Livingston 31 b. PA
Phebe 31
thomas Johnson 11
Ebbert " 9
Samuel " 7
Sarah Livingston 6
George " 4
James " 2
Rebecca " 1/12

For the state of Illinois in 1850 & 1860 Illinois nothing even close.

the best match I could find for the year 1860 was in Iowa, Linn Twp. County of Lynn

William Livingston 45 b. Pennsylvania
Catherine ?52 b. "
George 20 b. "
Joseph 15 b. "
Mary 12 b. Ohio
Ann 12 b. "
Willie ? b. "

Let me know if you get anymore informtion on this George W. If any of this information looks interesting, I can look further into this. Maybe tomorrow after work I can check on this last family for the 1850 census for Ohio and see what is there.

Jewel

ps. Donald I'm still digesting your last post in regards to the 2 catherine & John Livingston's, mind boggling!
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for that Jewel. Looks like a tough one then. Looks like the census records verify his birthdate of around 1842 as indicated by his descendant. Can you do a search of all the United States for 1850 and 1860 U.S Census for a George Livingston born 1842 or thereabouts. Perhaps he was in another State at this time other than Pennsylvania or Ilinois.

The Penmore, Kilninian and Kilmore John LIvingston and Catharine Campbell family I am mentioning is not on our website but was recorded on one of the Mull sites I assume from the old parish book information just so you know. I never noticed before but the other John Livingston and Catharine Campbell does not techinically even have a John Livingston which is somewhat problematic. There is a John Livingston baptised son of a John Livingston and Mary Campbell but no location given and not part neccessarily part of the Duncan Neil Donald and Grace family of the other John Livingston and Catharine Campbell at Kilninian and Kilmore Parish. Mary of course could be a mistake and Catharine was meant but who really knows. If however one was going with a match with the original families in the Mull River WHycocomagh area Id be looking for a John a n ALexander and a Colin back in Scotland and not a Duncan, Neil Donald or Grace as the names of the original settlers there. But again as I said earlier my theory could be wrong . I am just working with whatever clues I found and presenting my theory based upon these clues. Being wrong is always a possibility in genealogy. Happens everyday.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,
These are indeed difficult and disturbing economic times we are living in. I sympathise with all our Livingston and Maclea friends here at the forum and at large who are experiencing the pain of being out of work. I think many of us have been down that road at one time or another. Hope you have some luck soon finding work.

I did not participate in the Maclea Livingstone DNA Project until relatively recently myself but am finding it quite interesting the more I get into it. We have a good number of participants and it seems to be growing all the time. Hopefully when times are better you will be able to join the Project.

Livingston Genealogy and the Clan history has been by far my greater interest. There are a great many Livingstons out there that find themselves sooner or later trying to research their family tree or try and establish a family connection to Dr. David Livingstone. From time to time some of these folks drop by the forum.

At this point I am not certain where the George Washington Livingston research is taking us, but if we get a break regarding the Pennsylvania family connection in the next while we will keep you posted

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I did a search for George Livingston(e) in the 1850 census for all of United States.

There were 2 George Livingston's born Pennsylvania in 1838 and 2 George Livingstones born Pennsylvania in 1843. No George Livingstones born in Pennsylvania for years 1840,1841 or 1842. So I would question the birth year given to you for 1840 or 1841. Either the birth state or the birth year is off.

For George Livingston's born in the year 1840 there were 3, One in Georgia, New York, and South Carolina.

Now in the later census I saw, such as the one you found in 1880, I also found another George Livingston for the year 1880, in Iowa who was 39 years old born PA. with Wife Alice.

I have yet to see one with the mothers name being Delia, which I don't know is confirmed, but was mentioned. These census are easier to confirm when you have other names to match up with, such as brothers or sisters names or a definate parents names. Maybe Kyle or Andrew could confirm other information that might be available?

So at this point I would say we need to confirm one of these George Livingston's that I have posted here in the 1850 census for every state in the U.S. He has to be in the 1850 census it's just which one is he?

Regards, Jewel