George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: George w. Livingston Born Pennsylvania abt. 1841 or 1842

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta and Jewel,

So we have further clue and a possible contradication.

The 1900 census states that george's father was Livingston born in Ireland an important clue. That also contradicts however the 1880 census info that stated both father and mother of George Washington Livingston were born in PA. Perhaps they both lived in PA which where we know George was born but perhaps the father was born in Ireland. INterestingly the 1850 census in Pennsylvania as Roberta pointed out has a Larkin Livingston with a son George as 7 and Larkin is infact an Irish last name as I recall but the census of 1850 states that Larkin Livington I think was born in Pennsylvania but Larkin Livingston's family may well of come from Ireland. Anyways no way of knowing for certain about this Larkin Livingston until we can establish from these other records the parents of George Washingston Livingston. Perhaps we can find Larkin Livingston in other census records and see if any indicate he was born in Ireland.

regards,

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta and Jewel,

On second thought I am not so sure about that Larkin Livington being George Washington Livingstons father and would focus upon the marriage, death and civil war records as our best bet to finding out who George Washingston Livingstons parents are. Do you have access to the ILlinois marriage and death records or do you have contact the County clerk in Illinois?

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Yes if you could tell us how to get information or copies of the marriage record and death record I would appreciate that.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ROberta,

Do you have access to U.S Civil War veterans list or civil war records through ancestry.com? I wonder if we can find George w. Livingston listed as a private in one of the Pennsylvania regiments or does one have to send away for that info?

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,
When I saw the name Larkin Livingston I thought oh no that can't be the father of George. I'm still not too sure, but I will go back and look in other census as you suggest, to see where his place of birth is in other census.

As to the veterans information I posted, We can say that a George W. Livingston definately served at some time as these records are a request for a pension of veterans that have served. The request was made in 1909, my first thought was George W. Livingston was in his 20's during the civil war, and probablly seved, his marriage took place in 1863 so that is something to consider also.

The marriage cert. might not give us his parents names. I got a record for one of my relatives in Illinois for the year 1880 and it did not have parents names on it.

I always get my records for Illinois from a genealogist named Molly Kennedy who lives in Sptingfield Ill. I highly reccomend her she is fast and very reasonable. I have always gotten wonderful service from her. You can also get military records from her.

She charges $5.00 (U.S.) for a marriage or death records and obituaries,these are copies not the original. I'm not sure what she charges for Military.

Her contact information is: Molly Kennedy

http://www.mollx.com

E-mail mollx@hotmail.com

If you need any assistance from me for this just let me know.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Roberta,

Just wanted to thank you for your compliments on my work on George W. Livingston.

When I first started the search I didn't think it was going anywhere, but as usual I couldn't let it go. Donald had him in the 1880 census, but at first I couldn't link anything to that information. I thought for sure I would find him in the 1850 or 1860 but it wasn't there. I did find him in the 1870 census. Ok so now I have him in 1870 and 1880 in Illinois. I knew the 1890 census was lost in a fire so I thought what the heck I'll try the 1900 census for Illinois.
There he was in 1900 matching the same info. in the 1870 &1880, but it did have some discrepancies as to place of his parents birth. But I've done this enough to know that these things do happen for what ever reason, could be the census taker or the person giving the information.

So now I feel I might have a lead on something. Fortunately Illinos has birth, death and
marriage index for the older years so I though well I'll just take a look and see if I can make a connection to this census information. First I found the marriage so that was good but still didn't know if this was the man I was looking for, until I saw the death index and it said George Washington Livingston and the place of death was the same County and Township that was given for him in the 1900 census for Illinois, I mean how many George Livingston's are there with a middle name of Washington?

Now we just have to hope that either death, obituary or military information will give his parents name.

Reagards, Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thanks |will pass that information to the descendant of George W. Livingston. Yes actually when you think of it George Washington Livingston would be in his sixties at the early 1900's and it would make sense he apply for his military pension in his old age. I assumed it would have been civil war when he served and Pennsylvania made sense.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Bravo! Excellent. I had emailed the testee for him to take a look at the forum and the amazing work you've done! I hope he comes by and sees for himself!

Thanks, guys!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

I contacted the descendant of George W. Livingston with the information you gave me. Hopefully those records will list the parents. I am not familiar with the Illinois marriage and death records to say. Thanks again.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,
I was glad to be of help to the descendant of George W. Livingston, but am curious as to why we are not told who this testee is and why it doesn't come directly from the testee.

Regards Jewel